Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

This challenge is for twist, braids, and buns on your own hair. Using these low manipulation and protective styles, we aim to retain the growth we achieve over a three month period.

Twists: 2 strand twists, flat twists, 2 strand flat twists, coils, bantu knots

Braids: box braids on your hair, plaits, cornrows, french braid,s etc.

RULES:

1. All styles must be done with your hair exclusively. :yep:
2. Your hair must be in twist, braids or bunned for at least 5 consecutive days.
3. You can wear your hair out for up to 2 days after taking your twists out (like in twist-outs, afros, wash and go, etc). [If you need to amend your restyling time, let us know in your initial post! A 2-day turnaround may not be feasible for your schedule and lifestyle.]
4. Check in when you restyle your hair, or at least every 2 weeks since the challenge is short.
5. When you restyle give us an update. (regimen, style, moisturizing secrets, etc.)
6. Post a picture of your twists at the beginning of the challenge and at the end.
7. The challenge will be from April 1, 2012 - June 30, 2012.
8. You will have 1 pass during the challenge to cover you for a week.
9. Heat is allowed in this challenge. Be sure to use a heat protectant and the lowest setting possible for your hair. Remember to be careful! We do not want to damage our hair for the styling purposes of this challenge.

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

Feel free to join at any time. :yep:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
  6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

We look forward to cooperative learning. Post your questions, frustrations, and trials. Share any tips that you may have to make this challenge more effective for all of us! We look forward to hearing your tips, suggestions, and questions.

Happy Hair Growing Ladies!

Challengers (Part II):

faithVA
SimJam
discodumpling
cch24
Tibbar
Nubenap22
shortdub78
menina
BERlin
lovely_locks
EasypeaZee
futurelonglocks
TruMe
TopShelf
MeowMix
NaturallyTori
thaidreams
silentdove13
babylone09
Diva_Esq
MissAlinaRose
Successfulmiss
Asha97
curlycrocheter
ImFree27
JustGROWwithIt
jenaccess
itsjusthair88
Imani
Chameleonchick
youwillrise
AnjelLuvsUBabe
Ronnieaj
@blcbuty@
An_gell
GaiasDaughter24
LeighasMommy11
ladykpnyc
lovely_locks
MaraWithLove
naturalpride
Serenity_Peace
tatiana
Victoria44
Je Ne Sais Quoi
iri9109
ParagonTresses
ogmistress
sipp100
jprayze
tapioca_pudding
lomaxee
babylone09
RegaLady
judy4all
LoveTheSkinImIn
Poohbear
longinghair
destine2grow
SkySurfer
bajandoc86
MsDee14
NappyNelle

If I am missing anyone, please let me know, and I will add you ASAP! :clap:

Link to Part I: Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?

1. Two strand twists are my primary style. I like to wear them pinned up, or wavy via bantu-knots.

2. I moisturize and seal as needed. I like to use Oyin's Frank Juice or Juices & Berries to spritz, then seal with hemp seed oil. I also like to use castor oil on my ends for further protection. I massage my scalp with sulfur oil or pomade 3-4x a week.

3. I'm a nappy-kinky-coily-curly natural!

4. I hope to maintain styling ease and growth retention during this challenge. I need to baby my edges and my ends in order to reach my hair goals.

5. I wear my twists for 3-4 weeks at a time, so I will take a week long break between twisting sessions. During that week, I wear braid outs, pin ups, and buns.

Pictures soon to come. :drunk:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Thanks for the add!!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Mine will be either twists or braids. It will just depend on my mood

What is your style maintenance regimen?
I will keep them in for 2 weeks at a time, occasionally three. I will wash, deep condition with steam, airdry to about %80 then blow dry. Use a combo of mygel and Oyins's burnt sugar pomade to twist.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
More lenght, great healthy hair

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
Neither. I will restyle in one day

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
Will post my pic later today or tomorrow once I wash and style my hair

Sorry for the late pics:

Last edited:

skraprchik

I'm looking forward to participating in this challenge!

Start by Sharing:
What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? two strand twists pinned up or in a bun
What is your style maintenance regimen?
I'm aiming for twists that I can wear for at least two weeks, small to medium in size. I may work my way up to mini-twists if possible.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I'm also in the APL Challenge, so I'm aiming for a low maintenance style that promotes growth
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I'm in the middle of twisting now, so I'll post a pic when they are done.

Last edited:

Melaninme

My hair is currently straight, so I'll join this challenge in about two weeks. Thanks for including me!

HeChangedMyName

being that I just BC'd after a year of transitioning. . .I think this may be the challenge for me. It will give me time to research more styles, as well as just let my hair grow. It's probably a little shocked after such a BC. . .pictures soon. Anywhoo.

Add me please. I will predominantly be wearing two strand flat twists until I figure out how to or gain enough length to bun my own hair(5-6") so I'm open for suggestions on styling options.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning) TWISTS
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen? WASH, COWASH, DEEP CONDISH AND RETWIST, MAYBE SULFUR MIX FOR GROWTH
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? NEWLY NATURAL
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? MAXIMUM GROWTH
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? TWO DAYS

Attachments

• 0402131757.jpg
    0402131757.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

faithVA

Thanks for starting a new challenge NappyNelle. I threw some extensions in my hair to give myself a break. But if you need any help, let me know. I will hang out as a sideline supporter.

Good luck ladies

NappyNelle

faithVA Thanks! I hope to be as good a host as you!

HeChangedMyName Welcome to the challenge and CONGRATULATIONS on your big chop! :party: I'm sure you'll be able to bun our own hair in NO time.

MeowMix Baby Blue is a wonderful child. She eats well, (doesn't mind being bottle fed her mama's pumped milk!), she sleeps throughout the night, and makes cutesy faces when she has gas. I just hope I don't get fired for raiding Aunt Solange's closet all the time. :spinning: Yes I'm a nut job. lol

Welcome to all of the returning challengers! I'm glad we have people excited for this upcoming round.

SimJam

Hay NappyNelle Im in

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning) TWISTS/CORNROWS and now BUNS

What is your style maintenance regimen? WASH,DEEP CONDISH AND RETWIST. THIS QUARTER I'LL BE FOCUSING ON GROWTH CONCOCTIONS (MOSTLY HERB INFUSED OILS) AND PROTECTING MY ENDS

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? NATURAL

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? RETENTION

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? THREE DAYS

Include Starting Pic. WILL ADD PIC TOMORROW

iri9109

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? twists and buns
What is your style maintenance regimen?: Wash & DC every 1-2 Weeks. Henna 2x/month. Wear Twists for atleast 2 weeks at a time, Buns when not in twists.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? :natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?: Retention
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after: 2 days

starting pic:

more pics:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=610707&highlight=love+twists

see siggy for bun.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

OP i would love to participate but i've only just started wearing twists and i only go maybe 2 days max then rock a twist out. I will watch from afar. I can't go longer than a few days because my hair is still short and wearing it up with a ton of pins tends to give me headaches :nono: Do you think i can still join? I don't want to bend the rules of your challenge and cause problems.

ChristmasCarol

I plan on bunning for the next few months, so I'm game.

Are we allowed to use heat? I hope so, because I straighten once every 4-6 weeks. I still wear buns when it's straight, however.

I'll post info/pics tomorrow, if blow drying or flat ironing is permitted.

MeowMix

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Braids
What is your style maintenance regimen? Co-wash ~2x wk, DC 1 wk, Dust~ 8wks, Protein~ 8wks
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days 2 days or 3 days?

@NappyNelle
:lachen::lachen: Girl, keep on doing you:yep:

Attachments

• DSCF0118.JPG
    DSCF0118.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

NappyNelle

Je Ne Sais Quoi Yes, you can still join! I know the time frame is tight, but if you are protective styling your twist-outs for 5 consecutive days, you are still following the rules.

sipp100 Yes, heat is allowed in this challenge. I should add that to the original post. I'm still in awe that you have been transitioned for so long! I had to chop after 15 months. lol

MissAlinaRose

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? twists & braids
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen? for twists: wash/rinse 1x a month and retwist; for braids, wash/rinse every couple of days and keep in for 5 weeks
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? NATCHAL
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? an honest break from my hair
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days

Attachments

• mytwists.jpg
    mytwists.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

skraprchik

So I ended up with the mini-twists in the end. Sorry about the sideways pics. For some reason that's the way the iPhone pics end up.

Attachments

• image-4077850391.jpg
    image-4077850391.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 117
  • image-2778788312.jpg
    image-2778788312.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

lomaxee

I am so happy this challenge was 'renewed' for the next quarter. I am in!! However, I'm not natural yet, transitioning. Am I the only one so far? Please take me anyway

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Right now I have twists, but I will alternate between twists out (got it - 3 days max, then bun) or buns.
What is your style maintenance regimen? Wash, deep condition, redo. If I do buns back to back I will be sure to cowash at least

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Transitioning - 8 months at start
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I guess just growth and retention since I'm still transitioning.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One - 3 days

See my pictures below. I have one wet hair pic and my twists today.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 99

ParagonTresses

Haven't been in the "cyber hair world" in a while, but I'd love to join if that's ok...

[*]What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
I'll be in mini twists for 4-6 weeks at a time.

[*]What is your style maintenance regimen?
I overnight dc and cowash weekly and set my twists via rollerset, flexirod set or braidout. I spritz with water twice daily. For products I use the Kinky Curly line (minus the poo) and the Deva Curl line interchangeably plus a lil Hicks Edges to lay down fly aways, etc.

[*]Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
I am natural

[*]What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Honestly I am sooo tired of my hair. It's not hard to manage I just find myself bored with it often. Since I never "protective style" I figured this would be a nice change.

[*]After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
My hair won't be "out" often during this challenge, maybe 2 days between installs at the max.

[*]Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
I'm on week 3 of my first set of mini twists and will be re-doing my hair next weekend....

Thanks for this challenge, looking forward to it!

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

youwillrise

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? twists
What is your style maintenance regimen? cleanse & dc once a week along w/ oil rinse, moisturize & seal nightly w/ overnight baggy. spray diluted hydrolyzed keratin when i feel the need. keep ends pinned up. restyle twists weekly
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? growth retention, hair protection
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? the only day i will wear my hair out is the day i plan to wash/dc it...so on fridays i will wear a twist out...friday night will be wash/dc overnight and saturday my hair will be re-twisted
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). will add soon.

Last edited:

Evolving78

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning
What is your style maintenance regimen? M&S with NTM silk and coconut oil 2x daily, detangle dry, dc, wash, air dry weekly.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? to retain length and have healthy ends
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? i haven't had a need to wear an out style.

ogmistress

Hello :drunk:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? The plan is to have it in a bun, it might change to flat twist or conrows.
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen? It will be co-wash, blowdry and then style.
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? newly natural. I BC after 19 months a week and 2 days ago.
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Leaving my hair alone.
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 the max
  6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I can post a pic of my hair now but I wont be following the above reggie until next weekend. My hair has been in different size plaits for the past couple of days and I want to keep it like that for another week.

Attachments

• pop.jpg
    pop.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 0407120350a.jpg
    0407120350a.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Nubenap22

Sweet I was wondering if you would be the one to pick it up NappyNelle

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? I thing this round my primary style will be plaits w/o extensions...I'm kinda liking the ones I got and in-between them I'll neither bun or funky twists

What is your style maintenance regimen? I'll be keeping my scalp moisturized, baggy the ends at night ( when in braids or twists), spray with Scurl and seal with my new fav sealer. Or some variance of this with twists...and dusting the ends!!

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length and maybe thickness...both I hope...but mostly maintain the health

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
I'll pick 3 days bc of henna and my lifestyle

My textured bun and my mini braids done for the free99 by a classmate:grin:! first time trying it. Both front very bottom braids measure at 7inches and taper so I want the front and sides to thicken.

Attachments

• image-3130135464.jpg
    image-3130135464.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image-1536693061.jpg
    image-1536693061.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 47
  • image-550502407.jpg
    image-550502407.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

NappyNelle

Yes Nubenap22. I volunteered in the last thread, so I hope I make a good host. :)

Question: Is everyone getting notified when I edit the original post? :perplexed: I hope not. I just want to make sure that everyone is on the Challenger List so they can receive future notifications.