Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

kinkycurlygurl

Did another updo...very similar to the last one. I only did flat twists at the sides to the front tho. Felt very lazy today :ohwell:

ETA: sorry for the blurry pic. Imma take better ones tomorrow.

bajandoc86 That's an elegant, go-anywhere do. I can see wearing that hair style to work and then taking it straight into an evening out. Nice!

kinkycurlygurl

Hopefully you ladies can see what I mean with these pics.

Hi there, MaraWithLove,

You might try doing slightly larger looser twists that might disguise some of your texture differences. Also, try staggering your parts between layers of twists like a brick pattern instead of lining up all the parts. That will cause each layer of twists to over lap and hide the parts in the layer below.

-PYT

Just a lil twist up-do...probably keep it all week then twistout for the weekend, maybe?

Last edited:

jprayze

@jprayze Ladies, have you seen JPrayze's signature! Whew, that is some growth and beautiful retention! :spinning: Congratulations! I think it's time for me to start lurking the MN threads now. :lol:

I wore my hair out today, but back in an updo it will go. I owe you ladies tons of pics. I hope I can get my :computer: back up and running soon. :pray: How is everyone else doing?

Thanks NappyNelle! MN has really accelerated my growth and this challenge has helped me retain it. I've never retained like this and I have neverPS regularly before...I didn't think I could do it. This combo is working well for me.:grin:

lomaxee

@lomaxee Unfortunately, my twists do not like water :drowning:. Washing and conditioning leads to matting, unraveling, and knotting for me. Other ladies have no problems with wetting their twists. :shrug:

As for styles, have you tried cornrowing your own hair? Suggestions outside of the parameters of this challenge: how about a phony pony, or textured half wig? I know you don't want to fuss with your hair, and those styles will be easy on your edges. If you choose to go this route, we will still support and send you happy hair growth vibes. :yep:

Oh no! The last time I had twists I did not expose them to water so I have no idea how my hair will behave:perplexed. After reading and such over the weekend I might just try them out. This way I can pin up for dinner, wear down during the day and won't have to fuss with it. I will of course report back in panic mode if my hair is a matted mangled mess!

As for this week: Finally washed my hair after 3 weeks of cornrows and these relaxed ends got to go! They were unruly and matted:nono:. Today I have a braidout. I will attempt to wear it one more day then I will pin up and/or wear in a bun until washing on Friday for twists on Saturday.

faithVA

[USER=129559 said:
lomaxee[/USER];16096581]Oh no! The last time I had twists I did not expose them to water so I have no idea how my hair will behave:perplexed. After reading and such over the weekend I might just try them out. This way I can pin up for dinner, wear down during the day and won't have to fuss with it. I will of course report back in panic mode if my hair is a matted mangled mess!

As for this week: Finally washed my hair after 3 weeks of cornrows and these relaxed ends got to go! They were unruly and matted:nono:. Today I have a braidout. I will attempt to wear it one more day then I will pin up and/or wear in a bun until washing on Friday for twists on Saturday.

Before trying the wash in twists, Try misting your roots in a small section with water for 1 or 2 days. If that matt with that small amount of water, washing is a no go. If it doesn't then you at least stand a chance. :yep:

MsDee14

I'm getting sick of twists, but I'm determined to keep them in for 3 weeks. I have to remember that the amount of styles that can be done to them are endless!

-PYT

Posted my updo in the Everyday hair thread ladies! It's so hard getting links from Flickr...i'll post em in here later.

NappyNelle tried a new butter last night :grin: My mom is a lowkey PJ so I just mooch off of her stash sometimes. Mango Butter Blend by Mozeke! I really like it :lick:...i think I'm going to hit up camdengray and make my own butter soon enough. They list the ingredients on these products so no excuse not to!.....:look:

faithVA

Sideline Challenger Here: I did a big trim last weekend so my hair is now too short to bun. So I am back to twists. But I'm also doing the CG/conditioner only method so I am cowashing my hair midweek so I need something fast. So using flat twists as something fast. So tonight my back is in 5 flat twists towards the front. And I have about 3 to 4 flats twists on each side in the front. I rodded those.

Not sure how long it will be before I can bun again.

kinkycurlygurl

I'm still wearing my "Red Waste" braids (I'm a Game of Thrones junkie). I restyle my hair every day so I've made an effort to find styles based on doing just a few big braids. I find I like the look of my big chunky braids.

An_gell

Hi Ladies! I kno I been MIA, but nothin new to report still bunnin my behind off. I have started blow drying my hair on cool at least once a month this just helps with styling as my roots are always so tight and bulky. Blow drying straigthens my roots alot makes my buns look a lot better plus I get to see some length. :) As my hair grows longer I may do it twice a month and just wash every two weeks, but with psorasis washing twice a week is hard to do cuz my scalp gets itchy. I'm just gonna test it and see how it works for me.

An_gell

Thanks @NappyNelle! MN has really accelerated my growth and this challenge has helped me retain it. I've never retained like this and I have neverPS regularly before...I didn't think I could do it. This combo is working well for me.:grin:

Wow!! That's a lot of growth in a short time.. Imma have to go buy some monistat like today..lol!!

pinkness27

Hi guys,

Could you point me to a place/post links so I can learn how to make buns? My hair length is around jprayze 's and I do not even know where to start on how to make buns and what kind of hair toys to use, if any. Thanks!

jprayze

pinkness27 said:
Hi guys,

Could you point me to a place/post links so I can learn how to make buns? My hair length is around jprayze 's and I do not even know where to start on how to make buns and what kind of hair toys to use, if any. Thanks!

Try spin pins, they are great. You can get them just about anywhere-- Walmart, walgreens. They come with instructions and then once you get them, you can also play around with them.

Banana clips are a great way to do a bun too. And sometimes I will do a French roll type bun with bobby pins. I'm trying to leave the ponytail based buns alone right now because I'm experiencing some breakage around my ear...maybe too much tension. I was doing donut buns a lot.

pinkness27

I just realized that looking on my itouch it didn't display the full pictures. I only saw half of jprayze 's pic. My length is like your former length (the 1st pic of your sig picture).

Thank's jprayze and NappyNelle I'm going to look into your suggestions! I hope I can learn to make pretty buns.

BBritdenise

My first french roll.. How long can this style hold up under normal circumstances?

Attachments

• image-4148513257.jpg
    image-4148513257.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 45

jprayze

BBritdenise said:
My first french roll.. How long can this style hold up under normal circumstances?

Pretty! Your hair really looks like its thickening up. I took mine out after one day but I wish I had kept it in longer. I think it could last a few days If u tie it up at night.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
BBritdenise What a gorgeous roll!! I am tender headed, so I would take my roll down at night for sleep. However, I'm sure if you wear a scarf, your roll can last 3+ days. If the roll is stuffed, it tends to last longer.

I wish I had the styling skills that some of you have. My flat twists look terrible :lol: and my Game of Throne braids (kinkycurlygurl Yes, I've tried m'lady) look like a black hippy girl that had too much pixie dust. :lol:

So I've been super lazy by just releasing my 'Celie' braids, making a thin bang, and pinning the back into a soft roll. It's easy for me to not play in hair since I'm usually in the house. Some days, I don't even take off my bonett or scarf. :ninja:

Last edited:

MaraWithLove

:wave: Over the weekend I took my two french braids down (that's all I've been wearing), dyed with a semi-permanent, wore my hair in a stretched puff one day and DC'd overnight lastnight with about 12 plaits. Will try twisting as I've been advised with the help of you ladies between tomorrow evening and Tuesday afternoon. If not I'll be back in my trusty french braids! Haha :p

kinkycurlygurl

Hi guys,

Could you point me to a place/post links so I can learn how to make buns? My hair length is around @jprayze 's and I do not even know where to start on how to make buns and what kind of hair toys to use, if any. Thanks!

pinkness27 Youtube is a place to find loads of tutorials for hairstyles. I've linked to just a few of the buns I like here:

http://youtu.be/D9UBeHibElI

http://youtu.be/mRuk3zwDzY8

http://youtu.be/odMeQhroqOo

http://youtu.be/B6rrk8RBC90

http://youtu.be/tlXcJhCpkJk

http://youtu.be/BHKNEULYwdg

http://youtu.be/Xs8zCQ4EQNo

Hope you find one you like. :)

gvin89

BBritdenise said:

Pretty! I've had my hair in a flat twist French roll for 10 days. We're on vacation so it will be 2 weeks when I finally take it out. Looks like you could last a week if you tie it up nightly.

Attachments

• image-1634420287.jpg
    image-1634420287.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 50

faithVA

Even though I did a heavy trim, my twist aren't terribly short. I am pinning the heck out of them though because it will be a while before I can pull them back into my banana clip bun. And I just barely have enough to get the back into a banana clip. It could have been worse, but I think I can make it with this.

MsDee14

Week 3 in these twists! I'm glad I made it and now I'm actually considering keeping them in for 4 weeks.
I re-did the visible twists at the front of my hair on Friday.
And I've been pretty much wearing them back all week using hair accessories to keep me interested.

*Keep in mind- I am relaxed/transitioning..hence the thinner ends

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 54
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 51
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 51
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 48
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

seraphim712

I am so happy this challenge was 'renewed' for the next quarter. I am in!! However, I'm not natural yet, transitioning. Am I the only one so far? Please take me anyway

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Right now I have twists, but I will alternate between twists out (got it - 3 days max, then bun) or buns.
What is your style maintenance regimen? Wash, deep condition, redo. If I do buns back to back I will be sure to cowash at least

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Transitioning - 8 months at start
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I guess just growth and retention since I'm still transitioning.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One - 3 days
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

See my pictures below. I have one wet hair pic and my twists today.

lomaxee

Your twists are very nice! How long does it take for you to do them and how did you part your hair so evenly? I have a hard time doing that, so it looks as if my twists are coming from unruly newgrowth.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
gvin89 Your hair looks so nice and thick! I hope you're having fun on vacation.

MsDee14 Your accessories are pretty! No wonder you can keep your twists in for so long.

Ronnieaj

Just wanted to check in. I twisted on Saturday, hoping to keep these in until June 30. I was pleasantly surprised, it only took 3 hours from start to finish, which for me, for doing rope twists, is AMAZING :grin:! BF really likes how they turned out too :yep:. And I also realized that my longest section is grazing BSB, which is also pretty cool. BSL=MBL for me, since my bra is so low, so BSB is very exciting for me.