Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 7/1/13 - 9/30/13

sisters248

Moisturized and sealed my hair with elasta qp mango butter and safflower oil last night then put it in a bun. This morning I'ma detangle my hair before I go to church and put my hair in a high donut bun. :yep:

back2relaxed

Still bunning/phony ponying it. I wear my hair out after salon visits(once a month). Other than that bunning and using track hair to make phony ponies are my staple, hair stays moisturized and protected.

Duchess007

Whats in your homemade cholestoral mix? Sorry to hear, that sounds like a nasty cut.

Thanks- it feels fine as long as I don't touch it! :)

I mix a big scoop of softened Shea butter with about 1/4 cup of aloe Vera juice. I add in honey powder, egg yolk powder, and 2-3 oils (usually olive, coconut, and avocado). Then I stir in three drops each of tea tree oil, rosemary essential oil, and thyme essential oil. The powders and carrier oils are "to desired consistency", so I don't have exact measurements. When I make it again, I'll update this post with additional detail.

UPDATE:

image-492521991.jpg

image-2816700865.jpg

image-240403449.jpg

Exact cholesterol tx recipe:

1 c. Shea butter, softened
1/3 c. Aloe Vera juice
1/3 c. Honey powder
1/3 c. Egg yolk powder
1/2 c. Oil mix (olive, coconut, avocado or your preference)
5 drops tea tree
5 drops thyme
5 drops rosemary

Can add fragrance, if desired. I like ylang ylang extract.

This makes 2-3 treatments for me. I'm dense 4B and a few inches from full APL.

I used 1/4 c olive oil, 2 T(ablespoons) coconut oil, 2 T avocado oil to equal my 1/2 cup.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

ckisland

Duchess007 , I'm sorry to hear about your finger. That sounds terrible :nono:! Most of the time I feel the same way about my braids as you do. They look so thin, and I got a big ole forehead, so the combo looks a little Smeagol-ish :lol:.

Everytime I slather my hair with oil at night and wash my hair the next morning, I hate every bottle of conditioner or DC I have ever bought. I kept my hair in the 4 braids I put in last night, poo'd with GF Pure Clean, and then detangled and twisted 1 braid at a time just using oil. When I got done, I looked at my 2 new tubs of gel, new bottle of Aussie Moist, Giovanni condish, and EverSleek cowash, and was so mad!! I'm not buying anymore hair products. Knowing how well oil, bananas, molasses and ACV takes care of all of my hair needs, I can't even fully enjoy the products I do have because they just feel like wasted money.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Washed a dced today. Moisturized with some Soultanicals samples and sealed with Avosoya oil. Hair is in large twists pulled back into two braids on either side of my head. Definitely a lazy style week. I will rock it with a headband and slick my edges down with gel and a scarf. Nothing spectacular so no pics. :look:

ckisland

*Sigh*
I just finished doing 2 flattwists for the week. Y'all messed up all of my loose hair plans. I realized that I had my hair out for only 2 days last week, and I was thinking I had my hair out all week :lol:. Well, I guess I'm still in this challenge for the last month.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Duchess007 damn that cut sounds bad. That happened to me before. Nearly sliced off the tip of my thumb.

Your mixes sound so yummy. Oh and just pin up your braids into a style. That is why I don't wear braids unless they are extensions.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Question: I want to try more long term protective styles...like 4 - 6 weeks instead of 7 - 10 days. My hair always gets ratty and tangly when I try though. :nono: This happens especially if I co-wash at all. I don't have to co-wash, but I would like to once a week because I use sulfur oil and I workout 3 - 4x a week.

I want to try something like this youtuber. My curl pattern and texture is finer/looser than hers, so I'm not sure if it will work. My daughter on the other hand has hair just like hers and her hair thrives in mini twists...and they last so long even with cowashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZqSEBiOJM&list=UUKcIT_FbbrsI5jYzTDAxUtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-jhsS7tLAA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKcIT_FbbrsI5jYzTDAxUtQ

ETA: My texture/pattern is more like this girl's, especially the front of her hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iywnt4ARSQ

jesusislove1526 BraunSugar Duchess007

Last edited:

sisters248

I never really got a chance to show you ladies my bun! So here it is! I used a donut bun maker from Sally Beauty Supply. I didnt like the rough texture of the bun and was worried about it breaking my hair.:think: So I took a black satin cloth and sewed it in and around the bun maker. I also put my hair in a messy bun but I prefer donut bun! :grin:

Attachments

• buns 002.jpg
    buns 002.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 64

BraunSugar

Question: I want to try more long term protective styles...like 4 - 6 weeks instead of 7 - 10 days. My hair always gets ratty and tangly when I try though. :nono: This happens especially if I co-wash at all. I don't have to co-wash, but I would like to once a week because I use sulfur oil and I workout 3 - 4x a week.

I want to try something like this youtuber. My curl pattern and texture is finer/looser than hers, so I'm not sure if it will work. My daughter on the other hand has hair just like hers and her hair thrives in mini twists...and they last so long even with cowashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-jhsS7tLAA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKcIT_FbbrsI5jYzTDAxUtQ

ETA: My texture/pattern is more like this girl's, especially the front of her hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iywnt4ARSQ

@jesusislove1526 @BraunSugar @Duchess007

@Froreal3 The only extended period protective style that works for me is mini braids. Mini twists shrink up too much after I have washed them and the take down is a nightmare. I can't go weeks without washing my hair because that just doesn't work for me. With mini braids I know they will hold up longer than the twists and they don't draw up as much. I just loathe the take down.

My hair would be in locs if I tried what the lady in the first video did because my hair is very coily. I think that benefits people with more of the "z" pattern hair that "o" or "s" pattern coils.

I can keep mini braids in for about a month without issue. Anything outside of that and I am asking for trouble. Twists are only good for a couple weeks for me.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^^ Thanks BraunSugar...My hair is lowish density so I look bald in mini braids. :(
Twists look way better on me...but they don't last. I guess I will just stick to what seems to be working. I wash/detangle every 7 - 10 days, but I'm greedy. I want more length retention. :look:

Duchess007

jesusislove1526 BraunSugar Duchess007

I haven't done mini twists before. Regular 2-strand twists don't tend to look good after 5 days without being redone, so I am very suspicious. I do want to diversify my styling portfolio tho, so I will probably add Senegalese twists to the mix. But I always add hair to keep my ends hidden.

For a long-term PS, I do microbraids (with added hair) for 8 weeks at a time (my edges are a finer texture than my crown, so I redo the edges at 4 weeks.). I'm in micros in my profile pic.

While the micros are in, I use a moisturizing spray every day and oil my scalp every other day. I also DC every weekend.

When my hair comes out of braids, I DC, henna overnight, and DC again the same day that I cowash out the henna with VO5. Then I m&s for two days, DC again, m&s for two more days, and DC again. Even though i don't get breakage, it takes that long for my curl and moisture to come back. Still worth it! ;-)

Last edited:

faithVA

Welp. I cut through my thumb while prepping veggies for dinner tonight, so the braids I wore all week are going to have to soldier through for a couple more weeks until my thumb heals and the nail grows back in. :-/

Braids are... not fresh.

View attachment 223401
View attachment 223403

They're also not my fave style because I feel like it makes my hair look thin and my head look gigantic. But that might just be a personal bighead problem. :blush:

Gonna DC overnight with homemade cholesterol mix. Then cowash tomorrow morning with one of my beloved VO5s, m&s, and band overnight. Hopefully it's acceptable-looking enough to show my face at work.

**Pardon the pic quality. I usually make my hubby do these because I suck.

ETA: Pics of DC

View attachment 223413
View attachment 223415
View attachment 223417
View attachment 223419

:bighug: Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Putting your braids up as a previous poster said helps. If you put them on perm rods and give them some curl they also tend to look better.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Went to the beach this past weekend and totally treated my hair like crap. Spent day one on a twistout that puffed in the 99% humidity. Plus totally forgot to bring a scarf. Did a quick and messy up do for swimming the next day. FAIL! A couple of big waves knocked those bobby pins right out. LOL

Did the quickest cowash with Aussie Moist and a messy set of twists. Today I redid the twists and hoping to keep them pinned up for the next couple weeks. This hair needs a break.

Attachments

• image-2806410968.jpg
    image-2806410968.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 25

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Thanks ladies. I want maximum retention. Hopefully I can grow/retain two inches by end of year. Maybe I will get put some Senegalese twists in...

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Duchess007

:bighug: Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Putting your braids up as a previous poster said helps. If you put them on perm rods and give them some curl they also tend to look better.

Thanks for this idea, faithVA! Going to bun tomorrow and Weds and try wearing them curled on Thurs and Fri.

Duchess007

Duchess007 , I'm sorry to hear about your finger. That sounds terrible :nono:! Most of the time I feel the same way about my braids as you do. They look so thin, and I got a big ole forehead, so the combo looks a little Smeagol-ish :lol:.

Everytime I slather my hair with oil at night and wash my hair the next morning, I hate every bottle of conditioner or DC I have ever bought. I kept my hair in the 4 braids I put in last night, poo'd with GF Pure Clean, and then detangled and twisted 1 braid at a time just using oil. When I got done, I looked at my 2 new tubs of gel, new bottle of Aussie Moist, Giovanni condish, and EverSleek cowash, and was so mad!! I'm not buying anymore hair products. Knowing how well oil, bananas, molasses and ACV takes care of all of my hair needs, I can't even fully enjoy the products I do have because they just feel like wasted money.

:lachen: at Smeagol!!!!

See... and I feel like I need to try every product I see out there because I think they'll be better than my homemade stuff. Grass is always greener. :look:

Duchess007 damn that cut sounds bad. That happened to me before. Nearly sliced off the tip of my thumb.

Your mixes sound so yummy. Oh and just pin up your braids into a style. That is why I don't wear braids unless they are extensions.

Thanks for this suggestion, Froreal3! I'm going to pin them up tomorrow. :)

faithVA

Finished twisting up my hair for the week. Used the Taliah Waajid curling crème this week. I like the way it feels. I think I am going to try it for a WNG when my hair gets longer. Now I have two good twist products, the TW curling crème and the As I Am Twisting Defining Crème. I won't have to buy anything for my twist this year.

so i have learned that if i am around the SO and i start massaging my scalp he will just take over without even thinking about it. i think its an unconcious action on his part, but ill take it. best scalp massages ever

Duchess007

so i have learned that if i am around the SO and i start massaging my scalp he will just take over without even thinking about it. i think its an unconcious action on his part, but ill take it. best scalp massages ever

Nice! I'll have to try this. :-D

Duchess007

I'm in a teeny weeny braided bun which I'm considering wrapping a bag of Marley braid hair around (I think it's against the rules of one of the challenges I'm in, tho... is it this one?). Need to look up some styling tutorials!

At least it seems shiny and not too frizzy today. I think DC-ing helped.

image-3208512895.jpg
image-2748161577.jpg
image-2971742275.jpg
image-3751111959.jpg
image-2204259845.jpg

Last edited:

ckisland

Duchess007 , I really like your little braid bun :yep: and your braids look so shiny. Love 'em!
I kinda wish I had kept my braids in only because I wore my hair out once since I took them down.

Igotstripes

I think that instead of putting Havana twists in for school that ill just put mini twists in tomorrow or sometime this week :0

MizzBFly

This is my redone twists that is done fatter.... ***I ♥ IT YA'LL :grin:***
- I will keep this style for 3wks and take down, w/o washing :nono: b/c that was drama for take down.

Janelle Monae inspired style, sshh I want to go natural but I'm scuuured:blush:

Attachments

• twists right view.jpg
    twists right view.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 189
  • twists side view.jpg
    twists side view.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 131
  • twists top view.jpg
    twists top view.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 126
  • twists left side view 2.JPG
    twists left side view 2.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

ckisland

It's funny how style preferences change. For the past week I've been all like, *insert whiny voice* "I don't want to PS anymore; it doesn't matter how long my hair grows, I'll never reached my real hair goal; I love my wash n'go."
I've finally realized where this keeps coming from. When I get depressed or stressed out (which I have been for the past week), I go running, arms wide open to wash n'gos. Now, when I'm normal and happy, I don't even think about wash n'gos :spinning:. Like today everything finally got situated with my family and I'm like, "Why didn't I braid my hair up today? Why have I been walking around with my hair like this?!" :lol:
Whoo!! I'm glad I'm over that. Now let me go figure out how I want to do my hair for tomorrow :drunk:.

faithVA

Retwisted my hair. Spritzed my hair with diluted S-Curl and then twisted with As I Am Twist Defining Cream. The combination gives me nice, full, fluffy twist. Think I will keep the combination.

We only have 22 more days until the end of this challenge period. Didn't realize that.

jesusislove1526

My new set of mini twists with braided roots, that was supposed to be mini braids....I did do some in the back, which you may see in the picture of the back of my hair, and I may turn them all into mini braids in a few weeks, but I think I am liking the fullness of the mini twists for now. They have been up in claw clips and in buns for the most part.

Attachments

• 9-6-13--Mini Twists w Braided Roots (1).JPG
    9-6-13--Mini Twists w Braided Roots (1).JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 9-6-13--Mini Twists w Braided Roots (2).JPG
    9-6-13--Mini Twists w Braided Roots (2).JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 9-6-13--Mini Twists w Braided Roots (3).JPG
    9-6-13--Mini Twists w Braided Roots (3).JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 9-6-13--Mini Twists w Braided Roots (4).JPG
    9-6-13--Mini Twists w Braided Roots (4).JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 30

Duchess007

^^ Looking good, jesusislove1526! :) You can definitely tell where the braids are, because they show more length. Pretty color, too!

I'm still hanging on to these here braids! I have some severe puffiness going on. I've put a shea/beeswax pomade on the worst of it and we'll see how it looks tomorrow!

image-2048525796.jpg
image-4177818871.jpg