Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 7/1/13 - 9/30/13

FoxxyLocs

I did my length check and my hair is still not quite WL. When I wear it down it looks MBL. I want it to look like WL without me having to pull it, so I have a ways to go. I'm happy with my progress though.

ojemba

Duchess007. Same here. I think kinkier textures are able to hold twists better for weeks on end. My dd's hair has been in mini twists without braided roots for going on 4 weeks now and they still look great. No tangling or matting even with washing.

Mine on the other hand are struggling after a little over a week. I am trying to get them to last till two weeks. I cowashed them today and they look :perplexed: I wish they would last more than two weeks as I want to try a super low mani reggie. Oh well.

I was thinking the same thing about my DD twist. She has straight zig zag texture while mine curls up. Her twist looks great for being in 4 weeks. Mine is only a week and after washing this past sat its really fuzzy. Oh well.

My twist looks like a wash n go

image-2347867764.jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

I was thinking the same thing about my DD twist. She has straight zig zag texture while mine curls up. Her twist looks great for being in 4 weeks. Mine is only a week and after washing this past sat its really fuzzy. Oh well.

My twist looks like a wash n go

View attachment 226619

Yeah, that is what my twist look like even with just moisturizing them mid-week. :yep:

Killahkurlz

alas i have the same problem with twists, only my hair not only gets fuzzy if i leave them in too long the hair will start snapping...it's hard to explain

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
This weekend I'm gonna go ahead and take these twists out. It will have been two weeks since I last detangled. I think I may do a protein treatment with Komaza Protein Strengthener. Has anyone ever used it before on natural hair?

Igotstripes

My mini twists also look like that after moisturizing^^. Alsooo I finally got my hair into a bun! It's a puff turned bun!

Also I'm not sure if ill be able to head the next challenge because I'm still getting adjusted to uni. But if nobody wants to do it I'll start it!

Froreal3 I haven't but the ingredients look amazing! I tried the matani repair thing and I thought it was okay.

Attachments

• image-4192062999.jpg
    image-4192062999.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image-1299328724.jpg
    image-1299328724.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 36

faithVA

My mini twists also look like that after moisturizing^^. Alsooo I finally got my hair into a bun! It's a puff turned bun!

Also I'm not sure if ill be able to head the next challenge because I'm still getting adjusted to uni. But if nobody wants to do it I'll start it!

Froreal3 I haven't but the ingredients look amazing! I tried the matani repair thing and I thought it was okay.

I will take over next round for you Igotstripes. I haven't been in rotation for a while :yep: Heading the next challenge may be what I need to keep me honest.

Duchess007

I was debating on whether I was going to do the next round. I was thinking about doing more rollersets. But after spending time with my hair this morning trying to put the back in a banana clip and checking out my ends, I think I am going to leave new styling features until the spring. I should be full SL by then. :yep: So twist it is.

I haven't ever done a roller set, and I was just saying how I want to try this. I am going to do one this weekend and will post pics no matter how it turns out. I'm still going to be twisting it thru the end of the year, but I just want to see it "straight" once in a while and I NEVER use heat.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Duchess007

Can't wait to take these twists out! Moisturizing this week has made them fall apart. I just know my hair is gonna be a tangled mess. Never again, small twists. Ugh.

image-825635011.jpg
image-4235616331.jpg

faithVA

[USER said:
Duchess007;19013569[/USER]]Can't wait to take these twists out! Moisturizing this week has made them fall apart. I just know my hair is gonna be a tangled mess. Never again, small twists. Ugh.

View attachment 226803
View attachment 226805

Maybe try applying a nice layer of oil before take down to help the shed hairs slide out. It may be easier than you think. :yep:

ojemba

I gave in last night and spent 1.5 hours removing my twist. I have a event to go to tomorrow for work and fuzzy twist didn't match the atire. Loll

I was also afraid of tangling bcuz I saw so much hair sticking out. It went very well and I didn't loose much hair. I'm wearing a puff today n tomorrow and I'll co wash on sat and put in some medium twist.

This week is my DD twist take down and wash then re twist so I have to keep my routine simple and quick.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I just wanted to post a quick update. Mostly I lurk because HIH syndrome has a slippery slope and seeing what others are doing with their hair helps me stay out of mine. I did a braid set 25 days ago and I think they're holding up pretty good! I'll probably keep these in another month before transitioning to faux locs via kankelon wrapping. Pretty excited about those and I'll have to post if I'm pleased with the new style.
Anyhow, today felt like a good hair day even though it's getting a bit fuzzy... I don't mind! :)

ForumRunner_20130926_092702.jpg

faithVA

I'm going to check in but I don't think I will have much length to show for it :sad: It is growing slowly so it is hard to see any difference. Maybe I will have better luck next round.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^^ You are in my mind! lol I am taking mine out as well. They are two days shy of two weeks old. Enough is enough!

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Have some outings this weekend so I took my last set of twists down.

Thank goodness fall weather is here and the humidity has dropped. I may be able to get this to last a couple days without retwisting.

Attachments

• image-3819692981.jpg
    image-3819692981.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image-1814116917.jpg
    image-1814116917.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 34
took my twists down last night. slapped some conditioner and oil in it and threw it in a bun. i will be washing tonight and most likely straightening.....

i think my hair has gotten thicker since i started this challenge. def snapped some ponytail holders tryna make my bun.

ckisland

I might be up for another round of this challenge. So after being terrifyied with the breakage I got taking down twists, I'm suppose to be going back to wash n'goes ( Froreal3 knows this from my post in the other thread). I've done 2 wash n'gos so far, and my hair has not been happy with it :nono:. I also hate that I had to get up at 6 this morning to wash my hair, only to have it come out craptastic! I don't know how to style my wash n'go because it's too long to just leave it be (unless I use gel, but that introduces a whole other set of issues) since it won't fall right a lot of the time :ohwell:.

So twists are out as a style. Like out for the rest of my natural hair life :lol:. I'm going back (again and again I go lol) to 1ballerina's routine. I did it for a couple of months last year and my retention was totally on point. I will stick to this routine for a month straight. I can't afford to be jumping off to go do something crazy. I will learn to be gentle with my hair. And I have to learn how to properly detangle again :perplexed.

ckisland

What's 1ballerina's routine? Her hair is GAWJUS

I know RIGHT!! And I loved seeing her hair actually grow longer while using her routine. Her routine is to wash, condition, and detangle once a week and set her hair in 8 braids. She wears the braids for like 2 days, undoes them and buns the braidout. At night, she braids hair hair in usually 3 braids. It's really simple but the way she handles her hair incredibly gently, and how often and how generously is the key :yep:. I need to re-watch her videos because I struggle with going slow and being gentle with my hair.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I'm about to take these twists out for a twist out puff. Tonight I will prepoo with coconut oil, shampoo, use a rinseout, and try Komaza Protein Strengthener.