Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 7/1/13 - 9/30/13

faithVA

I didn't do twists for my length check. I didn't take any real length check pictures either. I decided to do flat twists for a while. Hopefully over the next few weeks I will get better with styling.

FTFRP1 (457x341).jpg

FTSDP2 (640x381).jpg

FTBKP2 (640x479).jpg

I guess I still need to do a length check pic for the next challenge.

Duchess007

Hair isn't quite dry, but here's the length check. I'm right at BSL! :)

image-669679762.jpg
image-1878443428.jpg

I'm gonna sleep on these tonight and wrap tomorrow. Will post pics here and in the setting for success challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
Duchess007 - I mix a shea mix similar to yours
I add just about every oil I have (ayurvedic, garlic, castor, almond, coconut, rosemary, thyme, cedarwood, etc) and whip it up. But you just gave me a great idea to add some AVJ to the mix. I am going to add the AVJ to the 3 large tubs I just made last week.

Have you noticed that when it comes to locking in moisture - the shea butter mix does "solitary confinement" on moisture- and puts moisture on lock-in/lockdown? :grin: My hair does not require moisturizing as often, after I put on the "shea butter mix lockdown":yep:

It is the absolute best SEALANT. It is a lot easier to use this mix than mix separate oils and apply.

Duchess007

I didn't do twists for my length check. I didn't take any real length check pictures either. I decided to do flat twists for a while. Hopefully over the next few weeks I will get better with styling.

I guess I still need to do a length check pic for the next challenge.

I wish my flat twists came out that good! I'm over here like, "Hmmm... I should try those again" (hint: I really shouldn't. LOL).

How long can you keep them in?

faithVA

I wish my flat twists came out that good! I'm over here like, "Hmmm... I should try those again" (hint: I really shouldn't. LOL).

How long can you keep them in?

Thank You

The more I practice the better they come out. Trust me they didn't look nice at all the first few times I did them. You should try them again :yep: You will get better each time you do them.

I can only wear them for a week. I can only wear any style for a week before my hair dries out and frizzes up :sad: I don't have that good hair (hair that stays fresh looking for a few weeks) :lol:

Duchess007

Duchess007 - I mix a shea mix similar to yours
I add just about every oil I have (ayurvedic, garlic, castor, almond, coconut, rosemary, thyme, cedarwood, etc) and whip it up. But you just gave me a great idea to add some AVJ to the mix. I am going to add the AVJ to the 3 large tubs I just made last week.

Have you noticed that when it comes to locking in moisture - the shea butter mix does "solitary confinement" on moisture- and puts moisture on lock-in/lockdown? :grin: My hair does not require moisturizing as often, after I put on the "shea butter mix lockdown":yep:

It is the absolute best SEALANT. It is a lot easier to use this mix than mix separate oils and apply.

Girl YES! when I first started using shea like 10 years ago, the only thing in my "mix" was shea. LOL. And I used it for EVERYTHING! Still do. My hair mix is also my skin mix. And I still put pure shea on little burns and abrasions. I swear it makes them heal faster!

Let us know how your mixing experiment works out. From experience, may I suggest you test on a small batch and see if you like it? I've made more huge batches of franken-butters... :look:

Either it sucks and you hate yourself, OR it's perfect and you can't recreate it cuz you were throwing stuff in there all willy-nilly. Oh, that's just me? Okay.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
This is my lc from earlier this week. I've fully recovered from my setback I'm June. Now to move forward. :yep:

ForumRunner_20130929_130337.jpg

Igotstripes

It's so hard taking a length check picture lol. Usually my mom does it for me :/ I'm really happy with my growth and now I want to straighten my hair lol just to see it... My hair hasn't been this long in a while. I think I'm almost apl

Attachments

• image-2965495445.jpg
    image-2965495445.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 53

ckisland

Here's my length check pic and a couple pics of my 6 day old twists. You see I was not kidding about the fro :lachen:!!

Attachments

• length check 924.jpg
    length check 924.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 46
  • twists side 924.jpg
    twists side 924.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 34
  • twists bun 924.jpg
    twists bun 924.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 41

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I originally left the challenge due to ends that suffered and had to cut. However, since I got a ceramic blow dryer, my hair can be cared for better. It also helps when you find products that help retain moisture.:yep: I am glad to find Loreal Total Repair products!

ilong

God's Own
Duchess007 - yes you nmay suggest and thank you for doing so. I will put some of the "new shea mix" in a smaller container and add AVJ to it and see if I like it. I can't see not liking it - but you are right. It's possible.

Where do you purchase your shea butter? I purchased my current supply from a vendor at a African American Festival - this past summer. The butter I used before, I ordered from a vendor online. But there is a big difference between the two butters. I much prefer th current one. It is thicker and richer.

Killahkurlz

sigh. yesterday i tried to finger detangle my hair at my bf's house, ran out of product, my hair was uncooperative, long story short, I don't have my length check pic taken...i'll have it soon!

faithVA

[USER=5870 said:
DDTexlaxed[/USER];19028523]I originally left the challenge due to ends that suffered and had to cut. However, since I got a ceramic blow dryer, my hair can be cared for better. It also helps when you find products that help retain moisture.:yep: I am glad to find Loreal Total Repair products!

What's special about a ceramic blow dryer? I have an Iconic but I have no idea what that means :lol:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
What's special about a ceramic blow dryer? I have an Iconic but I have no idea what that means :lol:

My hair did so much better because I blow dried it before I flat twisted it.:lol: It was also better to moisturize and seal my hair. I had mangled ends the last challenge and didn't use heat for a year. I am trying to see if light heat use will help with the health and retention of my hair. Certainly, the hair looks and feels more moisturized. :yep:

faithVA

My hair did so much better because I blow dried it before I flat twisted it.:lol: It was also better to moisturize and seal my hair. I had mangled ends the last challenge and didn't use heat for a year. I am trying to see if light heat use will help with the health and retention of my hair. Certainly, the hair looks and feels more moisturized. :yep:

Ok I got all that. But does it matter that the blow dryer is ceramic? Or does that not matter?

jesusislove1526

My comparison collage for this leg of the challenge. July pictures on top, and September pictures on the bottom. I had to look back to see which pictures I posted for the beginning first.

hnntrr

I have a question for you guys. I want to do two strand twists in my hair over the winter, I don't really want to use synthetic hair because my ends always suffer from not being able to merge my hair into the synthetic hair so I thought I could just do it on my hair. I twa (about 4ish inches all around).

I tried it once before but it didn't say and came a loose pretty quickly. Do you guys have any tips for getting two strand twists to stay on a twa?

I am washing twice a week with a light sulphate shampoo, no silicones. DC once-twice a week. Right now I just have Eco styler I use for shingling. Is there something else I should get to help the ends hold? Is there anyway to stretch the twists so they don't shrink up too short?

faithVA

I have a question for you guys. I want to do two strand twists in my hair over the winter, I don't really want to use synthetic hair because my ends always suffer from not being able to merge my hair into the synthetic hair so I thought I could just do it on my hair. I twa (about 4ish inches all around).

I tried it once before but it didn't say and came a loose pretty quickly. Do you guys have any tips for getting two strand twists to stay on a twa?

I am washing twice a week with a light sulphate shampoo, no silicones. DC once-twice a week. Right now I just have Eco styler I use for shingling. Is there something else I should get to help the ends hold? Is there anyway to stretch the twists so they don't shrink up too short?

The issues you are having are more due to your hair type vs. the length. To stretch the hair before twists you can try blow drying on cool, rollersetting or putting in larger twists or braids to let the hair dry. Then once it is dry then set.

You may want to use something that they use for edges for your ends.

You may also want to try a curling creme or very stiff butter to twist vs. a gel.