Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012 - 9/30/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm trying not to hog the thread... but I spent all Saturday pampering my hair so I could twist it today.

Where did my drive go? Where did all those good twisting intentions run to?

I REALLY don't feel like twisting my hair... but it would be great for styling ease and basically no manipulation. *sigh*

Maybe the twisting urge will be back tomorrow. :lol:

MeowMix

^^^^Hogging. You're so funny. That's what I do with this thread;). It seems like we've been having some 'dog days of summer' with our hair. It's totally understandable. It's been HOT.

isawstars

NappyNelle

I am losing the drive to twist as well! I think this next week I'm gonna do twist outs (retwisting every other night)... and the following week, I'll go back to twists for 2 weeks at a time.

I'm looking forward to doing chunky twists again... a lot less time consuming.

Tibbar

MsDee14, MeowMix, NappyNelle,
Ladies love the looks you guys posted! Really, really pretty.

I spent most of the summer in braids of various thicknesses. Some looked good, some were strictly for the house :ohwell:

Twists are my go to style, so since school starts back tomorrow :sad: I took the braids out, shampooed and deep conditioned. I then put the twists back in (kind of medium sized) and then set them on cold wave rollers. Not sure what they are going to look like, but I'm hopeful... wish me luck...:look:

I'm hoping I can influence some of my students to adopt healthier hair care practices because some of the stuff I see in my school --- :nono:

MeowMix

Hey Tibbar. Good to see you. Thanks for the compliment. There have been some fierce styles in this thread. I'm just learning and have been inspired. Good luck with your set. I know it's going to look GOOD.

It's exciting that you are an example to some of our youngsters. I bet you do have some stories;)

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Hey ladies. My hair can finally hold in a twisted bun :yay:. I am SO happy about that. :grin: Today I wore my hair in the bun with marley braid hair added for fullness. It came out pretty good imo.

My lil bun :eek:

With marley braid hair added

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
MeowMix
I had attempted to bun before...but my hair from the crown to the front of my hair is so dense, that to squeeze it in a bun would also induce serious headaches. AND I caused many a barrette/elastic to pop. :perplexed: I realised that since I have the hair in twists, it cuts down on the bulk of hair in the front of my head, so it can go more easily into the pony.

Oh, and unlike many I don't blow-dry outside of length checks - so all attempts of bunning have been on hair that's not really stretched.

Leslie_C

You guys already know my get up and go to twist got up and went a long time ago lol...buns, buns, and more buns...today I got extra fancy and put a large flat twist to the side in the front lol. Ive only done two sets of twists as a style during this challenge. I finally mixed up some henna last night and Im going to put it in tonight overnight. Tomorrow I *THINK* Im gonna wash out the henna, dc, and twist it up for a twist n curl to wear to work wednesday and thursday. Im off Friday and Saturday so on that stretch off I might put it in twists again for a week or two. They were cute and low maintenance, its just the idea of spending 3 or 4 hours twisting that is daunting. I would like to try some flat twist based updos, but I cant do flat twists in the back of my head where I cant see very well lol. Im so uncoordinated!:spinning:

MeowMix

Leslie_C. but I cant do flat twists in the back of my head where I cant see very well lol. Im so uncoordinated! LOL. You and me both. That's why I rarely post pics of the back of my head. You'll have to let us know how your overnight henna treatment works.

Tibbar

Hey @Tibbar. Good to see you. Thanks for the compliment. There have been some fierce styles in this thread. I'm just learning and have been inspired. Good luck with your set. I know it's going to look GOOD.

It's exciting that you are an example to some of our youngsters. I bet you do have some stories;)

Hey MeowMix thanks for the shout out, you guys been so supportive to everyone --

Yeah, the styles in this thread have been SO inspirational... So many people shock me with the looks they are able to do themselves -- I could call out a bunch of people here!! I would love to steal some of these looks but I really have a lot of trouble doing the back of my head. I hope it can improve with practice, but not so far. If my set comes out OK I'll post pictures. If you don't hear back about it, OH WELL -- we'll know what happened.....

Oh and I really wish I could influence at least SOME of my students to try healthier hair practices, because some of the things going on on their heads are crimes against nature!
I wonder sometimes how their parents let them leave the house looking like they do, then when I meet the parents, it all becomes clear...:lachen:

Tibbar

Had to do an emergency style since I have an outing that came up unexpectedly. I LOVE it! My hair is getting bigger. :grin: I did a twistout puff with a pompadour.

Hey bajandoc86, i just have to say your hairstyles are always, always, always looking good. Even when you say just threw them in... And you have a fantastic smile -- always looking like you're enjoying your life. :clapping:

isawstars

Oh and I really wish I could influence at least SOME of my students to try healthier hair practices, because some of the things going on on their heads are crimes against nature!
I wonder sometimes how their parents let them leave the house looking like they do, then when I meet the parents, it all becomes clear...:lachen:

Tibbar

:lol::lol:

NappyNelle

Tibbar Is back in the house! :party:

How long did it take Nelle to twist her hair this time?

7 hours this time because of plenty of breaks and just being tired. :lol: I will take better photos for you all tomorrow. :)

Tibbar

@Tibbar Is back in the house! :party:

7 hours this time because of plenty of breaks and just being tired. :lol: I will take better photos for you all tomorrow. :)

@NappyNelle
7 hours well spent --- totally worth it !!!!! Looks good girl!!
Oh and your hair is getting so long!
Advertisement for the benefits of protective styling.

Last edited:

MeowMix

^^^ So true. One of my favorite 'big haired' ladies is here. NappyNelle, you'redoing this and starting a new job too? .....phew

Leslie_C

@Tibbar Is back in the house! :party:

NappyNelle
*whistle* that looks sooooo good girlie! And your hair is getting so long! When Im totally natural twists will probably be a staple for me bc you can style them just like your hair, but they are protective and retain moisture better than out hair...and low manipulation since you dont have to do much to them between restyling. Win-Win situation! Thanks for demonstrating how hot twists can look!:yep: Id better learn how to stop being so lazy though! I love the result but am so lazy to put in the time...it would probably take me days to put them in little by little lol.

NappyNelle

Tibbar Thank you! I really want to see how blow dried hair in twists would look... but I finally feel like air-dried-braided twists are starting to look long. I'm happy to finally be retaining healthy strands. :yep: Now to finally make it to WL!

MeowMix Those people keeping 'having emergencies to tend to', so I'm ready for an interview with another program tomorrow. :) (Pray for me please!)

Leslie_C Thanks girl! I broke this set up over two days because I was being so lazy. Usually I have the energy and drive to do it all in one marathon, but not this time. :nono: It just wasn't happening even though I had iTunes and a TV series to watch.

I really love that I don't have to do much with my twists for them to look 'done'. Once I started embracing the tiny bit of frizz I had, the marathon sessions felt very worth it. Very little manipulation, I can wear them up or down, straightish or curly, easy access to my scalp... and people tend to be surprised when they see that the twists are your hair, not extensions. My SO was convinced they were fake the first time he saw them until I separated one. *huge eye roll* lol

jprayze

Hey ladies! Ive just been catching up. I've been having problems with shedding and thinning that are making it difficult to bun. My right side by my ear was already thin and has either started back up or is just looking more obvious. I was parting my hair on the left and bringing hair over but now Im starting to thin in front too.

Seems like im starting to get the shedding under control with ORS hair mayo and AE garlic hair mask. I also changed my meds in case they were causing the issues. Im going to start taking biotin today as well. I also started a daily massage of MN, apricot oil, WGHO, and peppermint oil.

In the meantime, I have to experiment with some styles to see how to conceal it. The minibraids weren't a bad option because I had less braids on the right side but it really wasn't noticeable. Maybe I will try that again?

MsDee14

Hey ladies!! :wave: Hope you all had a GREAT weekend!

I am kind of sick of twists! :shocked:

I've been doing them since April and I think I need a mini break.

so..for the next couple of weeks, I will be doing a mix of high buns and low loose buns.

Attachments

• photo (38).JPG
    photo (38).JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 28
  • photo (36).JPG
    photo (36).JPG
    55 KB · Views: 27
  • photo (37).JPG
    photo (37).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 28

Evolving78

i roller set my hair and made a french twist in the back. i will bun it maybe tomorrow and just do that daily until wash day on saturday.

-PYT

These twists have been in for a month...I'd retwist and make neat, But I don't even feel like doing that! I'm ruined..... :(

Tibbar

Just updating with some recent photos. After flirting off and on with various sized braids over the summer, I'm back in twists for now.

Looking at my ticker, I'm coming up on two years since my last relaxer... After 30 years of relaxing my hair, I never thought I'd be saying that !! :hair:

MsDee14

Tibbar- I love the braids and your twists look so cute! :)

Congrats on your accomplishment of being relaxer free for so long!

My bun for today.

Attachments

• photo (42).JPG
    photo (42).JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 30
  • photo (43).JPG
    photo (43).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 34

ladysaraii

Nelle, I like your hair!

I meant to put my mini braids or twists back in, but I got lazy, so this week I'm rocking 2 french braids.

I might try to rebraid this weekend b/c I liked the style. It just depends on how much time I have.

MeowMix

NappyNelle

I promised pictures, and never uploaded them. :hammer:

I added amla powder to my deep conditioning session and it seems to have made my hair darker. I'm not sure if I experienced any of the extra conditioning it is supposed to provide.

My air dried twists now rest around APL when wavy/curly. I never thought I could get this much 'hang' with partially stretched hair.

ETA: Sorry for the extra boobage in that last shot. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.