Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012 - 9/30/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaJJ

I like this challenge but I have to hide my hair during the work week because I'm participating in a workout challenge. I workout in the mornings, and I sweat like a horse now that it's summer so I slap on my lace wig and go to work. I wear my twist outs, etc on the weekends.

I want to hang out here with you ladies and learn how I can wear my hair out more and remain active. That's my biggest challenge.

AHeadOfCoils

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Twists

What is your style maintenance regimen?
Shampoo, DC, tension blowdry and twist every 10-14 days. Longer if in mini-twist

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
I hope to retain all of my growth and stay out of my hair.

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days.

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
I will update after I blow dry my hair in a few minutes.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Washed this morning with Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo, then used the Giovanni smooth as silk xtreme protein treatment, washed that out and deep conditioned with the Beautiful textures rapid repair deep conditioner...washed that out and rinsed with tea tree oil, acv and cool water. Oiled my scalp with nature's blessing grease and added some castor oil. used the qhemet amla and oilve heavy cream to moisturize and sealed with oilve and honey hydrating balm

I didnt' use steam but I may wash again on wed and deep condition with steam

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Pictures from April through June:

1. Two strand twists are my primary style. I like to wear them pinned up, or wavy via bantu-knots. I also like to bun now with banana clips.

2. I moisturize and seal as needed. I like to use Oyin's Frank Juice or Juices & Berries to spritz, then seal with hemp seed oil. I also like to use castor oil on my ends for further protection. I massage my scalp with sulfur oil or pomade 3-4x a week.

3. I'm a nappy-kinky-coily-curly natural!

4. I hope to maintain styling ease and growth retention during this challenge. I need to baby my edges and my ends in order to reach my hair goals.

5. Usually, I wear my twists for 3-4 weeks at a time, so I will take a week long break between twisting sessions. During that week, I wear braid outs, pin ups, and buns. If I take a time out from twists, I will wear buns and french rolls.

July 1 Stats:

(After humidity, sweating, and sprinkles at a BBQ)

(Banana Clip Bun + Hair Jewelry. I did not smooth my edges with oil, pomade, or gel like I should have. :look: No one will see this except for y'all.)

Currently: Full BSL/Grazing MBL

-PYT

Took my bun out when I got home from work. I love the look of top knots but chile, my hair is so thick it just wants to expand so I'd have to be flat ironed to achieve it lol I felt like my scalp was set free when I took out the elastic :rofl:

MsDee14

Great starting pics ladies!

Tibbar Love the thickness and the curled ends of your twists. I can't wait until I'm 20 months post like you :)
TopShelf You're making me want to do some minibraids now
MeowMix I think your cornrows look nice..not meh or ick..lol I bet clipped up and a cute hair accessory will spice them up to your liking!
SliMJim How long have you been natural/relaxer free? You have some nice growth and your hair looks healthy
bajandoc86 I am soo looking forward to your styles. I need some inspiration!!
Victoria44 your mini twists are to die for. I am in hair heaven right now. lol
MaraWithLove loving the color in your hair
PYT the thickness of your hair is amazing. Love your twists!
Rocky91 Your starting pic is beautiful. Loving your thick ends
NappyNelle Can I borrow some of your hair? Each and every one of your styles are beautiful. I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEE that hair jewelry...so pretty and I also love the banana clip updos.

Good luck on this challenge ladies! :)

Last edited:

MsDee14

These are some of my twists styles from the last challenge.
For this challenge, I am planning on doing flat twists up-do's since I have never done those before.

Sorry for the attachments, I'm too lazy to re-size and post directly to the post,

Attachments

• photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 55
  • photo (32).JPG
    photo (32).JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 53
  • photo (31).JPG
    photo (31).JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN5773.jpg
    DSCN5773.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 60
  • day to night in twists.jpg
    day to night in twists.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
^^your twists are very pretty!!
perhaps you and other twisting veterans can help me. i want to start this challenge off with twists. right now, i'm working with big, stretched and moisturized hair from a bantu knot failure.
i have fine hair. is it better to twist on the hair as it is or should i cowash and do it on damp hair? which gives a fuller look?
i will prolly just go ahead and do it out of laziness. :look: but i'd like to know for future reference.

MsDee14

^^your twists are very pretty!!
perhaps you and other twisting veterans can help me. i want to start this challenge off with twists. right now, i'm working with big, stretched and moisturized hair from a bantu knot failure.
i have fine hair. is it better to twist on the hair as it is or should i cowash and do it on damp hair? which gives a fuller look?
i will prolly just go ahead and do it out of laziness. :look: but i'd like to know for future reference.

Thank you!

Because I'm still 80% relaxed, I prefer to twist on more textured hair such as a braid or twist out. So if I twist on wash day, I air dry in braids or large twists..then twist my hair. Since your hair is already big and stretched..I would go ahead and twist it. I believe you will still get a full look.

I'm hoping other ladies will chime in.

eta: just followed your blog! :yep:

Last edited:

chocolat79

I'm in, but won't be able to post a pic until tomorrow which is when I get my hair twisted. I'll return with a pic and answer the questions then.

NappyNelle

Rocky91 I have fine strands, and I like to twist on freshly clean hair that has been stretched. If your hair isn't "gunky" from product, I think it would be fine to start twisting.

MsDee14 Thank you!!! I really do wish you had been transitioning when I did. I would've worn twists since yours look so good. Now I'm "e-window shopping" for more hair accessories.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Thank you!

Because I'm still 80% relaxed, I prefer to twist on more textured hair such as a braid or twist out. So if I twist on wash day, I air dry in braids or large twists..then twist my hair. Since your hair is already big and stretched..I would go ahead and twist it. I believe you will still get a full look.

I'm hoping other ladies will chime in.

eta: just followed your blog! :yep:
thank you!! i hope to be a better blogger-i've been slacking:nono:
Rocky91 I have fine strands, and I like to twist on freshly clean hair that has been stretched. If your hair isn't "gunky" from product, I think it would be fine to start twisting.
thanks!
it's not too gunky.
alright, i'm going to get to work. :armyhat:

MeowMix

Great starting pics ladies!

Tibbar Love the thickness and the curled ends of your twists. I can't wait until I'm 20 months post like you :)
TopShelf You're making me want to do some minibraids now
MeowMix I think your cornrows look nice..not meh or ick..lol I bet clipped up and a cute hair accessory will spice them up to your liking!
SliMJim How long have you been natural/relaxer free? You have some nice growth and your hair looks healthy
bajandoc86 I am soo looking forward to your styles. I need some inspiration!!
Victoria44 your mini twists are to die for. I am in hair heaven right now. lol
MaraWithLove loving the color in your hair
PYT the thickness of your hair is amazing. Love your twists!
Rocky91 Your starting pic is beautiful. Loving your thick ends
NappyNelle Can I borrow some of your hair? Each and every one of your styles are beautiful. I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEE that hair jewelry...so pretty and I also love the banana clip updos.

Good luck on this challenge ladies! :)

MsDee14 Did I just do the CH lazy and cosign your post? Play the Monica music it was ♫ Just One of Them Days♫. Thank you for the tip and your comments:)

shortdub78 Hey good to see you. You and DD doing this for the summer?

AtlantaJJ. Your avatar = Meowmix go to gym. Hang out, I want to be inspired too. I already have hair plans with these pictures.

Happy Challenge everyone:)

Last edited:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Rocky91 I would recommend to try twisting on wet hair....the twists plump up nicely. I actually don't like to twist on previously styled hair, twists don't look as full to me.

Evolving78

MeowMix
my kiddies start swimming next week, so i need to get on the ball and order a swim cap for the girl. i also need to find a good shampoo for them just in case, chlorine gets into their hair. i a bunning and need to keep away from the direct heat.

MsDee14

I used way to much Shea-butter(mixed with coconut oil) when I was twisting. My hair feels super moisturized(I always spray with my AVJ mix prior to using the Shea-mix), but weighed down. I'm not going to moisturize for the next few days.

nickmack

nickmack You are right on time! Welcome to the challenge! :grin:

:spinning: YAY! Thanks NappyNelle

ETA to add pictures, y'all!!!!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Twists but I'd also like to experiment with braids at some point. My hair isn't yet long enough for buns - maybe for the NEXT series, it will be! *fingers crossed*​

What is your style maintenance regimen?
On waking: fluff my twists out with my hands (they get smooshed because of my scarf...) and then spritz with a combination of aloe vera juice, water + rose-water

Before bed: tie my hair down with a scarf

Weekly: because I'm colour-treated, I will keep up my deep-conditioning (the last day before re-styling my twists) and maybe detangle...maybe.​

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
I's natural!​

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Length-retention, learn more styles and improve my styling skills! I really want to be able to style my hair into updos at some point, as well... :look:

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
I shall re-style after 3 days​

Starting Pics:

Front of my hair hits me right between the eyes - cropped off the rest because my face was just not...pretty yesterday! :look:

This is the back of my hurr - it's now past the bottom of my neck... I wish I could hit CBL by mid-August. That would make me VERY happy!

Both sides of my head have the same length!

I mentioned I was colour-treated earlier in this post - so I'm using the line of demarcation to track my progress, as well.

Last edited:

MeowMix

I used way to much Shea-butter(mixed with coconut oil) when I was twisting. My hair feels super moisturized(I always spray with my AVJ mix prior to using the Shea-mix), but weighed down. I'm not going to moisturize for the next few days.

MsDee14. Hi, is it hot where you are? How does Shea-butter work in the summer for you?

MsDee14

MsDee14. Hi, is it hot where you are? How does Shea-butter work in the summer for you?

It's super hot where I am...we were going through a heat wave.
Shea butter works great for me. I need to use it because it is the only product that will keep my twists from unraveling.
I usually only use it when I'm twisting then while my hair is in twists, I would spritz with water or my AVJ mix then seal with coconut oil.

Victoria44

Just found out a few weeks ago that my hair is low porosity. No wonder I hardly get any shrinkage in humidity and hot parties, it all makes sense now lol. It's so difficult getting my hair moisturized, but mini twists are the one style that keeps my hair soft :drunk: I'll probably start them in thursday evening.

isawstars

I finally got the confidence to wear my twists out in public! I will be back with pics and such. I may even make a section in my fotki for this :) bbs!

SweetSimplicity

Hi ladies,

I would like to join this challenge.

1. What is your primary style? Combination of braids and twists in a pony tail or bun or loose hair buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? co wash and moisturize and seal daily
3. Are you natural, relaxed or transitioning? natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? retain length and healthy hair
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days? I will not be wearing my hair out at all. I will restyle on Saturdays after I wash my hair.

Attachments

• july 2 twists on braids and twists on blown out hair.jpg
    july 2 twists on braids and twists on blown out hair.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

NappyNelle

naturalmermaid Wow! The thickness = amazing.

isawstars I'm glad you were able to wear your twists! I'm excited to see the pictures!

Sha76 I haven't seen you post on a while. How are you? Welcome to the challenge. :woot:

Tonight I pincurled after using HH Coconut -Yuzu love on my ends. (Not from tonight, but essentially, the style is the same)

My hair is starting to poof/shrink back, especially since SO kept playing in it. He says I'm the only woman he's dated that allowed him to touch their hair... which made him start weave checking / critiquing hair in the restaurant. SMH "She needs your hair board... her ponytail is pulled too tightly... do men with locks need to deep condition with moisture or protein?" LOL Why is he pretending like he knows "our" ways? :lol: At least he appreciates the time and effort I put into my hair. :lol:

Last edited:

Leslie_C

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? My primary style is currently bunning, but will experiment with twisting. My relaxed ends are thin and I have some breakage, so Im not sure if I can carry it off or not.
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Prepoo/poo/DC once a week and cowash midweek. Wear out 1-2 days wash/dc day then back to protective style of choice.
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Transitioning
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Low manipulation, decreased shedding and breakage at demarcation line, moisture retention.
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
  6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
Count me in! Im excited :)

Attachments

• IMAG0672-vi.jpg
    IMAG0672-vi.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 47
Status
Not open for further replies.