Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012 - 9/30/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsDee14

naturalmermaid Welcome! Love your twists! You have some nice length there.

Leslie_C Welcome! That scarf/bow on your bun is sooooo cute!!!!
If you need any more suggestions on twisting transitioning hair, let me know!

NikkiQ

I love lurking in this challenge,but my twists and braids will never see the light of day :lol:

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
MeowMix You will be APL girl, so you need to post in there!! And my SO is the best... a silly and fun-loving mess. :lol:

ree.denise Come on in! We'd love to have you.
Leslie_C Your bun! How pretty.
NikkiQ :poke: Your twists and braids are beautiful. Why are you hiding them? :spinning:

antisocial

I'm in.

Primary style is two strand twists which I wash/condition once per week and re-twist every 3-4 weeks .

I'm natural, APL, hoping to reach BSL

(I usually wear twists but this pic is a bun)

Attachments

• bunpic.JPG
    bunpic.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 56

geejay

I lurked in the last quarter challenge, but I'll step up for this one. *fingers crossed*

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
I either stretch my hair with braids and bun/updo
or chunky/medium twists and bun/updo.

What is your style maintenance regimen?
co-wash once a week ( Trader Joe Tea Tree Condition and/or Terressentials)
8 or so braids to airdry over night for stretch
At night I'll moisturize, rebraid (if loose) and baggy.
I'll keep it bunned during the week and sometimes wear it loose on the weekend.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
retention and the discipline to not play too much in my hair

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Attachments

• Length 7-3-2012.jpg
    Length 7-3-2012.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_6773.JPG
    100_6773.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_7153.JPG
    100_7153.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 44

NikkiQ

@MeowMix You will be APL girl, so you need to post in there!! And my SO is the best... a silly and fun-loving mess. :lol:

@ree.denise Come on in! We'd love to have you.
@Leslie_C Your bun! How pretty.
@NikkiQ :poke: Your twists and braids are beautiful. Why are you hiding them? :spinning:

B/c they they frizz and unravel after a week and always look super scalpy. They aren't long enough to pony or bun either :nono:

-PYT

NikkiQ I think your twists look nice and juicy. :yep: I dare somebody to say something bad bout yo twists if you wear them out!

so...buns are out for the time being. My scalp don't like being yanked. So i twisted it up.

SimJam

geejay your hair in that avatar !!! wow beautiful

naturalmermaid those plaits .... :lick:

MsDee14 Ive been natural for 2 ys 6 monthss .... thanks for the complement. I had a horrible 2nd year, almost no retention (well I cut off 8 months worth of coloured hair which was breaking and acting a fool)

year 3 has been much much better :grin:

SimJam

Hey @nickmack! Welcome! Do you know about the Curly-centric meet ups here in Ja?

@bajandoc86 @nickmack

why dont we have an lhcf Jamaica chapter link up ... could be just drinks or something after work or on a saturday :yep:

u know I planned to go to the last curly centric link up but I dunno just got a bad vibe and decided not to go.

how are they bajan?

ree.denise

Ok once I come up with my plan I'll come back in and update! I'm excited and not use to bunning or wearing twist. So, I'm looking at you ladies for advice, tips and etc.

cnap

Primary style-Mini Twists
Style maintenance regimen-Wash every 4 wks and retwist as needed
Natural, relaxed, transitioning- Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Thickness, Length
After wearing hair out I will restyle immediately

Nubenap22

Heyyyy Nelly!! I'm getting my hair braided ( no extensions ) right now....shes gonna take 2 days to do it

nickmack

@bajandoc86 @nickmack

why dont we have an lhcf Jamaica chapter link up ... could be just drinks or something after work or on a saturday :yep:

u know I planned to go to the last curly centric link up but I dunno just got a bad vibe and decided not to go.

how are they bajan?

SimJam that's a pretty cool idea! I wonder how many other Jamaicans are on the LHCF board... :look:

MeowMix

:spinning: YAY! Thanks NappyNelle

ETA to add pictures, y'all!!!!

Twists but I'd also like to experiment with braids at some point. My hair isn't yet long enough for buns - maybe for the NEXT series, it will be! *fingers crossed*​

On waking: fluff my twists out with my hands (they get smooshed because of my scarf...) and then spritz with a combination of aloe vera juice, water + rose-water

Before bed: tie my hair down with a scarf

Weekly: because I'm colour-treated, I will keep up my deep-conditioning (the last day before re-styling my twists) and maybe detangle...maybe.​

I's natural!​

Length-retention, learn more styles and improve my styling skills! I really want to be able to style my hair into updos at some point, as well... :look:

I shall re-style after 3 days​

Starting Pics:

Front of my hair hits me right between the eyes - cropped off the rest because my face was just not...pretty yesterday! :look:

This is the back of my hurr - it's now past the bottom of my neck... I wish I could hit CBL by mid-August. That would make me VERY happy!

Both sides of my head have the same length!

I mentioned I was colour-treated earlier in this post - so I'm using the line of demarcation to track my progress, as well.

nickmack. I've been looking for your pictures. Wanted to see what was behind your avatar. BTW, I plan on posting plenty of messed up face pictures during this challenge. At this point, it's just about the hair.:yep:

Hey y'all. There are several ladies with what I'm calling 'pack hair'. Meaning the only way I was getting that thickness and/or length was by going to the store and buying it:lol:. BEAUTIFUL HEADS OF HAIR. Thanks all

NappyNelle

After Rocky91's post, I want to try this style:

I don't know if my hair is long enough for it to look the way I'd want it to.

Perhaps I can try this with a braid or flat twist:

nickmack

nickmack. I've been looking for your pictures. Wanted to see what was behind your avatar. BTW, I plan on posting plenty of messed up face pictures during this challenge. At this point, it's just about the hair.:yep:
LOL, well I'll remember that when I post my next update!!! :grin:

Hey y'all. There are several ladies with what I'm calling 'pack hair'. Meaning the only way I was getting that thickness and/or length was by going to the store and buying it:lol:. BEAUTIFUL HEADS OF HAIR. Thanks all
INDEED!!!!! LOTS of beautiful heads of hair in this thread...Good heavens!

Side note: Is there a twisting guide anywhere on the forum? You know, stuff like - how to avoid puffy roots, how to stretch your twists overnight, how to avoid meshing/tangling when cowashing in twists?

AHeadOfCoils

AHeadOfCoils said:
Twists

Shampoo, DC, tension blowdry and twist every 10-14 days. Longer if in mini-twist

Natural

I hope to retain all of my growth and stay out of my hair.

2 days.

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
I will update after I blow dry my hair in a few minutes.

A few minutes turned into a couple of days.

I can't find my camera, so I used my raggedy phone.

image-3344339240.jpg

nickmack

nickmack check naptrual85 on youtube she has a twisting video ... lawks I dont remember the name .... wonder if I faved it ...

hold on lemmi check
Thanks SimJam!
I LOVE Naptural85's videos - always so informative. But sometimes (even when her hair was shorter) some things still don't quite feel as applicable to me. Like her stretching video where she pins the twists across her head - not sure about her exact method (for me) but I'm going to try to adapt it!

Side note: Am I the only NL participant up in here? :look:

SimJam

I also tried the pinning the twists thing .... meh it works but I prefer to just use ouchless bands to stretch my twists.

i just grab bunches of twists and wrap the ouchless band around the lenght of my twists ... does that make sense? like banding the twists.

NappyNelle

Side note: Is there a twisting guide anywhere on the forum? You know, stuff like - how to avoid puffy roots, how to stretch your twists overnight, how to avoid meshing/tangling when cowashing in twists?

Post #3 has links for twist styling and maintenance :yep:

Side note: Am I the only NL participant up in here? :look:

nickmack I don't think so... I believe there are 2-3 NL ladies officially in the challenge; but I know we have lurkers that are NL! Please come out and share your secrets!

I also tried the pinning the twists thing .... meh it works but I prefer to just use ouchless bands to stretch my twists.

i just grab bunches of twists and wrap the ouchless band around the lenght of my twists ... does that make sense? like banding the twists.

SimJam That's a good idea! When my hair was SL, I would bobby pin (and sometimes doobie wrap) my twists to elongate them.

Last edited:

kinkycurlygurl

Sorry about the late start:

1. [*]What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Yup, I twist, braid, bun, and rock the updo.

[*] What is your style maintenance regimen?
    I change my style daily so I only do quick and easy.

[*] Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
    I'm natural

[*] What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
    I hope to be at bra strap length by fall.

[*] After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I rarely wear my hair out. When I do it's for one day or event then it's right back to a protective style.

[*] Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

7451056362_12f372d677_m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.