Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012 - 9/30/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

This challenge is for twist, braids, and buns on your own hair. Using these low manipulation and protective styles, we aim to retain the growth we achieve over a three month period.

Twists: 2 strand twists, flat twists, 2 strand flat twists, coils, bantu knots

Braids: box braids on your hair, plaits, cornrows, french braid,s etc.

RULES:

1. All styles must be done with your hair exclusively. :yep:
2. Your hair must be in twist, braids or bunned for at least 5 consecutive days.
3. You can wear your hair out for up to 2 days after taking your twists out (like in twist-outs, afros, wash and go, etc). [If you need to amend your restyling time, let us know in your initial post! A 2-day turnaround may not be feasible for your schedule and lifestyle.]
4. Check in when you restyle your hair, or at least every 2 weeks since the challenge is short.
5. When you restyle give us an update. (regimen, style, moisturizing secrets, etc.)
6. Post a picture of your twists at the beginning of the challenge and at the end.
7. The challenge will be from July 1, 2012 - September 30, 2012.
8. You will have 1 pass during the challenge to cover you for a week.
9. Heat is allowed in this challenge. Be sure to use a heat protectant and the lowest setting possible for your hair. Remember to be careful! We do not want to damage our hair for the styling purposes of this challenge.

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

Feel free to join at any time. :yep:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
  6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

We look forward to cooperative learning. Post your questions, frustrations, and trials. Share any tips that you may have to make this challenge more effective for all of us! We look forward to hearing your tips, suggestions, and questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Hair Growing Ladies!

Challengers (Part III):

faithVA
SimJam
discodumpling
cch24
Tibbar
Nubenap22
shortdub78
menina
BERlin
lovely_locks
EasypeaZee
futurelonglocks
TruMe
TopShelf
MeowMix
NaturallyTori
thaidreams
silentdove13
babylone09
Diva_Esq
MissAlinaRose
Successfulmiss
Asha97
curlycrocheter
ImFree27
JustGROWwithIt
jenaccess
itsjusthair88
Imani
Chameleonchick
youwillrise
AnjelLuvsUBabe
Ronnieaj
@blcbuty@
An_gell
GaiasDaughter24
LeighasMommy11
ladykpnyc
lovely_locks
MaraWithLove
naturalpride
Serenity_Peace
tatiana
Victoria44
Je Ne Sais Quoi
iri9109
ParagonTresses
ogmistress
sipp100
jprayze
tapioca_pudding
lomaxee
babylone09
RegaLady
judy4all
LoveTheSkinImIn
Poohbear
longinghair
destine2grow
SkySurfer
bajandoc86
pookaloo83
MsDee14
Rocky91
-PYT
kinkycurlygurl
jprayze
AHeadOfCoils
BBritdenise
NaturalTaurus
nickmack
NappyNelle

If I am missing anyone, please let me know, and I will add you ASAP! :clap:

Link to Part I: Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

Link to Part II: Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012-6/30/2012)

Last edited:

youwillrise

i fell off for the may/june of the last part of the challenge ((smh)) and my hair has suffered for it.

still gonna do twists with the occasional braid set here and there.

Tibbar

I'm in!!
:grin:

Start by Sharing:

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Primary style will be twists, occasional bun if I'm too lazy to re-twist after a wash or swimming
What is your style maintenance regimen?
Usually shampoo once a week and deep condition. Mix it up with a couple of co-washes
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Good question... let's just say I have not had a relaxer in almost two years and I've been steadily cutting off my relaxed/damaged ends. Not really sure if I am completely done with relaxers after 30 (!) years...but for right now, I am not planning on relaxing any time soon and my hair is 95% natural...
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Continued easy, low maintenance - low manipulation hairstyles that are helping my hair to "get better"
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
I will give myself 3 days just in case... sometimes old girl gets lazy, especially in the summer... :lachen:
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
Attaching photo that I posted up thread, too lazy to take another one...
Good luck ladies!!!

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-06-27 at 14.08 #3.jpg
    Photo on 2012-06-27 at 14.08 #3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I'm in!!!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)
Braiding

I plan to wash once a week and deep condition. I may use a protein treatment every other week since I will be co-washing almost daily.

I am natural

Less breakage, more retention

I will restyle immediately, atleast thats the plan

Braids are a week or two old:

Last edited:

MeowMix

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Braids
What is your style maintenance regimen? Co-wash ~2x wk, DC 1 wk, Dust~ 8wks, Protein~ 8wks
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Note about these pictures. At best these braids can be described as 'efficient'. IRL right now is 'meh to ick' with constant interruptions :wallbash:; hence this. One of my goals in the challenge will be to come up with a least one cute style. :smirk:.

Thanks for viewing. Happy Challenge everyone.
Side July 1 aka 'cornrow ducktail'

Back July 1

Last edited:

SimJam

What is your primary style
twists/twist outs and buns

twist for 2 to 3 days then wear twist out for 3 days, then bun other days

natural

just to retain some darn length

After wearing my hair out will I will restyle after 3 days?

Starting Pic.

Pic from beginning of challenge (quarter 1)

Last edited:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
I'm IN! Doing this challenge has made me become more creative with my hairdo's, master flat twisting etc. while being able to wear my hair 'out' occasionally.

Twisted styles - 2 strand twists and flat twists. I can't bun yet :sad:

I do a flat twisted/2 strand twist updo - aim to maintain it for 2 weeks. I oil my scalp approx every 3 days. Dab a little coconut oil on the twists once in a while. Make sure I use my satin cap at nights. I wear a twist out for usually 1 maybe 2 days at the most. Then it's wash day and back to the twists.

NATURAL :grin:

Low manipulation - aiding in retention, and thus gaining length. Expanding my styling skills.

1-2 days. Any longer encourages tangles and knots.

Last edited:

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
Q: Do all the ladies that did this challenge previously, what changes have you notice in your hair & have you retained more length?

Victoria44

I'm in!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mini twists

What is your style maintenance regimen? Shampoo/mud wash every 2 weeks, lightly mist, and apply moisturizer/oil daily. Baggy every night with water and moisturizer. Oil steams more often.

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Bra-strap length, better moisture retention, bring my crown area back to health :nono: and grow out this mullet.. oh and learn to experiment with different styles

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days

Starting pic is from april
ETA: found a more recent starting pic from June

Attachments

• photo (10).jpg
    photo (10).jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 147
  • photo (11).jpg
    photo (11).jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3822416401.jpg
    image-3822416401.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

MeowMix

sj10460 I am a slow grower. But, the thing I've noticed with this challenge is that my hair is MUCH thicker. Probably because I'm not manipulating it as much. Hopefully one of our length stars will chime in:)

Victoria44. When I finally get 'big girl hair', I want it to look like yours:yep:

NaturalTaurus

I'm in! I'm a member after lurking for 2 years... LOL I'm cheap!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists

What is your style maintenance regimen? I usually wear mini twists so I moisturize and re-twist when necessary.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? 2 years and 4 months natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? length retention and I hope to save time from having to manipulate my hair daily

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). Will post later when I twist my hair tomorrow

I didn't feel like twisting my hair today so I attached pics of my bun from today 7/1/12 along with a quick length check. :yep:

Attachments

• Bun....jpg
    Bun....jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Length Check.....jpg
    Length Check.....jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

MaraWithLove

This time around two-strand flat twist styles

Twist hair on a weekend, leave in for up to 2 weeks (we'll see how long it takes to get fuzzy), re-twist as necessary, co-wash as needed. Take hair down and wear it out for two days, re-twist.

Natural

Continued retention, more creativity with styles, low manipulation

2 days most likely

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic)
Will provide soon as I'm done my hair

Hairstyle: In progress

Attachments

• IMG_20120701_024145.jpg
    IMG_20120701_024145.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

-PYT

Hey ladies! Let's do this!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists and now, buns!

What is your style maintenance regimen? Hmm...I wear a style moisturizing and sealing as needed. I don't have anything concrete, but I try to make sure my hair always feels soft :look: not sure how to answer this :rofl: I plan to trim every 8 wks though.

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I hope to reach APL and limit the manipulation of my hair.

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days most likely after a braidout then bun for 5. Wash, and restyle.

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). Will post later when I twist my hair tomorrow

This pic is all I have...i'm not really the type to take pics of my back pulling a tuft of hair lol so I have no clue how much I've retained from the previous challenge. I don't feel like I've LOST hair so here's hoping :yep: By August 3rd, I will most likely be putting in a new set of mini twists :drunk:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Thanks for the tag. i so wish i could bun my hair but it's still way to short unless i straighten and I aint' straightening for another 6 months. I will try the twists again but i'll be a lurking challenger. I enjoy my twist outs and wash n go's way to much

-PYT

:look:

So I took my braid out and put my hair into a bun right...that was a lil struggle...i'm not used to bunning, and want my edges slick, but don't want my hair dried out by gel so I just may stick to twists, but hell, idk lol. Just ranting. tomorrow is the start so i'll see how I feel about bunning throughout this wk :)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
^^try a pomade or butter instead of gel.
or you could cut your gel with moisturizer or serum or oil. a lil castor oil underneath my ecostyler leaves my hair quite soft.

I'm in!
Cant believe i'm doing this, i usually hate protective styling, but I am sooo tired of not being APL. so may as well try it.

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Buns and braids. My twists look terrible because my hair is so fine, so i guess one of my goals is to get them looking decent enough that i feel comfortable wearing them out.

What is your style maintenance regimen? bunning-i usually cowash every day to every other day. twists no regimen yet, so idk. what remains concrete is that i try to DC at least once a week and don't let my hair feel dry.

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I need friggin APL. oh and to get rid of the notion that I have to wear my hair out all the time to look cute.

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? errr um it might vary depending on what i'm doing, weekend plans, etc.. so both 2 and 3.

Last edited:

MsDee14

You already know I'm in!

Twists

Daily- Spray twists with AVJ mix and seal with either Shea Butter mixed with Coconut oil or plain coconut oil
Weekly-Rinse scalp with water or cowash as needed

Transitioning

Retain all my relaxed ends and maintain healthy hair

2 days

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic)
will update with pic later. Just finished twisting my hair and I'm exhausted. (woke up at 7AM to do it)
Thanks NappyNelle ! You are on the ball!

MsDee14

Q: Do all the ladies that did this challenge previously, what changes have you notice in your hair & have you retained more length?

I have retained almost all my length. I have less breakage and my hair is fuller because of that.

Btw- I keep my twists in 2-3 weeks at a time

Evolving78

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? bunning
What is your style maintenance regimen? wash/dc 2x weekly moisturize and seal daily
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? relaxed
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? retention
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? i wear my hair out on wash day so every 3-4 days
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). my starter pic is in my siggy!

NappyNelle

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! We have an awesome turnout already! Welcome (and welcome baaack) challengers! I'm loving all of these photos!

youwillrise I fell off from twisting for the whole month of June! :lol: I basically bunned, french rolled, and did braid outs this whole time. I'm expecting to be back in my twists by the middle of July though. Loose hair can be too much work on my lazy (and humidity-filled) days.

sj10460 I am a slow grower. But, the thing I've noticed with this challenge is that my hair is MUCH thicker. Probably because I'm not manipulating it as much. Hopefully one of our length stars will chime in:)

sj10460 I've also noticed that my hair seems to be thicker since wearing twists and finger combing. I like to wear twists because I can keep the same set in for 3+ weeks if I want to, and I'm more likely to retain length. Twists and buns also make me more conscious of babying my edges and sealing my ends. In January, I was BSL, and now I'm full BSL/grazing MBL.:grin: I take lots of medication, that can cause shedding and hair loss, so I try to do everything I can to keep what I have!

Thanks for the tag. i so wish i could bun my hair but it's still way to short unless i straighten and I aint' straightening for another 6 months. I will try the twists again but i'll be a lurking challenger. I enjoy my twist outs and wash n go's way to much

Je Ne Sais Quoi Feel free to pop in with questions or suggestions, and we'd love to cheer you on as you grow your hair back!

:look:

So I took my braid out and put my hair into a bun right...that was a lil struggle...i'm not used to bunning, and want my edges slick, but don't want my hair dried out by gel so I just may stick to twists, but hell, idk lol. Just ranting. tomorrow is the start so i'll see how I feel about bunning throughout this wk :)

^^try a pomade or butter instead of gel.
or you could cut your gel with moisturizer or serum or oil. a lil castor oil underneath my ecostyler leaves my hair quite soft.

-PYT I agree with Rocky91. Mixing the gel with oil or pomade will help to get you "slicked" without drying your hair out. I should have done that yesterday. My edges were just... :spinning: I'll just admit that you all would :spank: me. :lol:

AtlantaJJ Come back! :poke:

NaturalTaurus Welcome to the forum! :party:

NappyNelle

Stolen Inspiration Pictures:

i did this on friday.
i'm in the twist/braid/bun challenge, so i am trying. lawd help me-i really prefer my hair out.
but this was cute enough so i'll do it again.
Did a protein treatment, cowashed, added shea moisture curl smoothie, and too much coconut oil. a lil ors edge control on the edges.

haha you get a glimpse of my boo's arm and his "wtf you doin" face.

Did a twist out of the flexirod set on my bang.

Aren't these women fabulous?!

Status
Not open for further replies.