Twisting Natural hair question

Bublin

Hi Ladies

I would like to twist my hair.......

At the moment i just wear wash and go's and very rarely use heat. My hair is about 5-6 inches long....i've never tried styling my hair dry.

My question is...... do i blowdry it first and what products do i use to twist?
A Friend of mine uses beeswax to dry twist her hair and her hair is always very dry looking and in my opinion damaged. Does anyone here use beeswax?

A hairdresser used gel on my dry hair but because my hair curls easily the gel made my hair wet and i didn't see any length ( it looked like an odd wash and go).

OR - do i twist it wet and with what product? - and then let it hair dry.

I hope this makes sense. :confused:

sistagrl2004

When I do use any type of gel, I use 100% aloe vera gel. I have twisted dry and wet. The wet ones make for a better twist out. when I twist dry i make sure my hair is well hydrated and use a and go. I generally leave mine up for only a few days, then wear a twist out for a few days, than wash and start over. I have heard some wear the twists and wash their hair in them, but I think mine would start to dread!

Minx

I twist my ten year old daughters ubber thick 4a/b hair with no product in it.

I wash her hair with conditioner ( VO5 or Suave), rinse, towel dry.

I then part her hair, grease her scalp one section at a time with Softee coconut grease ( I think PoohBear uses this?), and then I just twist her hair.

I hold it taught and pull downward as I go.

They are beautiful when I am finished, nice and shiny, plump.
And because the hair is dry when I twist, there is no real shrinkage afterward.

I used to use all kinds of stuff, from kids organics detangler, to scurl spray, to my homemade spray bottle of water/glycerine/conditioner/oil.

I dropped all that......I have since learned that less is more for her.

Where as before her hair would come out so-so, get frizzy in a day or two,that is no longer the case.

She now has has shiny and smooth looking twists(maybe my skills are getting better as well?).
They are soft and fluffy and she wears them for two weeks at a time.

dk

malachi74

I air-dry my hair in bands to get more length and then I twist putting a little mango butter on the ends.

SparklingFlame

If I want to show some length I twist on dry hair. If I do them on wet hair then they shrink up something fierce! I twist with a heavy moisturizer of some kind QP Mango butter of QB Heavy Cream. As of late I have been using my moisturizer that I am gonna put on my website. I think I'm gonna call it Moisture Silk. I would not use bees wax on my hair though. Gel is ok to use as long as its not drying. Another poster suggested aloe gel. HTH!

CORBINS

I twist my hair after it is dry. I usually use Smooth N' Shine Activator Gel, usually turns out pretty good. Other times I use ORS Jojoba Oil grease. The twists always turn out better on dry hair.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I twist on dry hair, for me, my length shows better. I use a moisturizer to twist with. I used to use gel but it didn't really do anything for me but dry my hair out worse. I do spritz at night before wrapping it though because my hair will get really dry.

No beeswax, that stuff is horrible.

Bublin

Thanks very much for all the responses so far. This is a big help.

So far i think i will twist on towel dried hair with some pomade....my hair just hates the blowdryer, it seems to sap moisture.

Can anyone tell me why Beeswax is bad? - i know it is but i don't actually know why.

ScandalousBeauty

Very Interesting! I twisted the front of my hair dry with curly pudding last night and I was pleased with the results. I'm gonna try to do my whole head this time using curly meringue. I was gonna do it damp, but I will try it dry tonight.