Twists Start Loc'ing

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Here's the situation. I twist my hair using ORS Loc and Twist Gel.

I find that if I try and do my normal wash every two days the twists stop feeling 'springy' and begin to harden. When I take them down (normally after a week of wearing them) I have a twist out that lasts through 3-4 clarifying shampoos and hellacious detangling sessions. Then eventually my normal hair texture comes back.

So then I got the brilliant idea of putting the twists in and only washing once a week. THAT. WAS. NOT. A. GOOD. IDEA. My ends felt knotty when they dried so I tried to unravel one of the twists to see what was going on. Well, I ended up having to cut off 1/4 inch of most of the twists in order to take my hair down. I needed to trim my ends anyway, but I was really alarmed by being forced to do it.:eek:

I know from reading another site that some hair types dred quicker than others, but A WEEK? Am I the only one that has Twist Anxiety? Could it be the ORS loc and twist gel? Anybody know of a good alternative?

Here's my other problem, Puffs and loose hair are hell on my ends so I had planned on using twists as a protective style, but I dunno what to do now.:confused:

mslionheart

I think it might be the loc and twist gel. I've always sort of viewed commercial gels as almost "glue-like" and hesitate to use them in my hair for that reason (aloe-vera and other more "natural" gels don't seem as bad). I think gels are better for people who need extra hold to keep their twists from coming apart. I like to twist with CD Healthy Hair Butter or Qhemet's Amla and Olive Heavy Cream.

hopeg80

I use the Ors gel and no problems here. I have so many problems with my ends unraveling and I usually use a homemade water spritz on my twist.

I have had my twist in now for almost 3 weeks, they look horrible, but no loc'ing.:D

Hope this helps

MrsQueeny

Have you tried using some sort of moisturizer prior to using the ORS? I never had this problem with it. Are you spraying them with anything daily maybe you should try a homemade spritz to combact the dryness. I know some other ladies will chime in. HTH Q

scribblescrabble2

ORS gel makes my hair pretty stiff too. It makes my hair feel matted and very dry even when I use leave ins and oils.

When I twist my hair I usually use some kind of oil or soft butter/pomade.

Another option is that you can try a gel without PVP in it, like FOTE, lily of the desert aloe vera gelly, and qhemet or other similar brands.