Two Strand Twist Protective Style

Hello!

My name is Selena and I'm a newbie.

I would like to wear medium two strand twist for the entire year of 2016 as a protective style. bunning, wash n go's, braids with hair etc doesn't work for me and I either get knots, tangles and dryness with these styles.

Two strands twist seems to be the only style that my hair likes and keeps the shedding and breakage to a min.

I would like to take them down every 2 weeks to wash, deep condish, moisturize n seal and then retwist again.

Would this be to much manipulation on my hair?

Has anyone seen growth and thickness with this method?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

overtherainbow

@NaturallyKweenBee
This is almost my exact reggie! Every week I prepoo, wash, and DC my hair (alternating between protein and moisturizing products). I then do medium/small twists on my own hair. If I'm feeling up to it, I do small/mini twists. My usual twists take about 45 minutes to complete. I then wear my twists Monday-Friday in an updo (buns, French rolls, tucked over ponytails). Friday nights, I let my hair down to go out and I retwist on sunday mornings. So my hair only sees the light of day for a little over 1 day.

I think my hair is growing lol. I feel like every time I check, I'm closing in on waist length. I will note that my nape (where I got minor breakage ) went from shoulder length to APL/BSL) pretty darn quickly. I don't leave my twists in for two week because I need to wash my hair more frequently to see growth and my twisting skills aren't great enough to get a set to last two whole weeks without looking crazy.

@overtherainbow good reggie. Do you moisturize n seal throughout the week? I co-washed on Wednesday because my scalp was an itchy mess. I have freezy twist now, but I will stay strong and wait until next week to take them down.

How long did it take you to see some growth?

overtherainbow

@overtherainbow good reggie. Do you moisturize n seal throughout the week? I co-washed on Wednesday because my scalp was an itchy mess. I have freezy twist now, but I will stay strong and wait until next week to take them down.

How long did it take you to see some growth?

I should moisturize and seal but I only do when I remember. And I only use EVCO as a moisturizer to avoid frizzies. If your scalp is an itchy mess, I would wash more often because a clogged scalp can slow your growth. I started this reggie over summer, but I only got consistent with it in october. Since then, Ive seen a bit if a growthspurt, but the true benefit is that my ends are perfectly blunt. I haven't trimmed since August and no one would know it! Before that, I had to dust almost monthly.

charmtreese

This is my regimen as well. I use to redo my twist weekly, but about a month or so ago I started redoing my twist every two weeks. My hair growth has been pretty steady with this regimen.

The pic on the left is from November 14' and the one on the right is from December 15'.image.jpeg

ajargon02

My name is Selena and I'm a newbie.

I would like to take them down every 2 weeks to wash, deep condish, moisturize n seal and then retwist again.

Would this be to much manipulation on my hair?

Has anyone seen growth and thickness with this method?

I twist and wash/condition weekly. For my hair it's not too much manipulation. I have fine hair as well. I finger detangle exclusively and that definitely helps. I do take viviscal which thickened up my hair TREMENDOUSLY in about 6months.
For me, I need to cleanse my hair and scalp on a weekly basis.
I see growth with protective styling on a consistent basis.

Alta Angel

20160719_151332.jpg 20160719_151215.jpg
I'm resurrecting this thread because I have kept my hair in mini-medium twists for the summer. I plan to continue twisting for the rest of the year to maximize growth and minimize manipulation. My hair is APL length, but I should be at least BSL since I have been natural for over 5 years. In December, I am going to trim and hopefully continue this routine.
Right now I am:
  • Washing with Shea Moisture Shampoo
  • Conditioning with Elucence Moisture Balance
  • Steaming for an hour.
  • Using a modified Kimmaytube leave in, Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-in and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to create medium-sized twists.
  • Retwisting every two weeks
  • "Wrapping" my twists up each night using bobby pins. I got this from Naptural85 and this really helps my twists stay stretched.
  • I also moisturize with African Royale Braid Spray and Shea Moisture Hair Milk or Curl Enhancing Smoothie at NIGHT. Then I wrap my hair at night with satin scarf. My hair remains frizz free for two weeks.

Last edited: