Type 4 Naturals and Hard Protein treatments

Which of the following is your preferred hard protein as a type 4 natural?

• Aphogee 2 Step

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Nexxus Emergencee

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Dudleys DRC-28

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vintageglam

I am newly natural and wondering if there is a need to continue with hard protein treatments every 2 months or if I can forgo them in favour of mild protein on a weekly basis (I have very fine 4a/b hair)?

Also for the naturals who still use hard protein every now and then which of the above is your preferred hard protein. Please feel free to add other options which you have found useful!

TIA Ladies

x Stella :grin:

Nonie

Hi Stella:

I'm 4B and I have always just used a mild protein. Never felt a need for hard protein and no idea what effect it would have had on my hair. If I thought I had porosity issues or heat damaged hair, I might consider it just to see if more is better. But for now mild works well for me.

RubyWoo

I haven't used a hard protien treatment since I've been natural. I use a light protien (either Joico Kpak Reconstructor or Redken Extreme Fortifying treatment) once a month.

Vintageglam

^^^ Thanks Nonie - that's the sort of information I was looking for :yep:

I defo have porosity issues as my hair dries pretty fast after washing with no prompting from any type of heat source :ohwell:

I may also be using heat monthly/ bi-monthly if I continue BKT'ing....

BlackMasterPiece

I haven't needed hard protein whatsoever since being natural...light protein does the trick more then enough for me....I did aphogee two step once last year....it was unnecessary I might give it to my double processed cousin.

Nonie

^^^ Thanks Nonie - that's the sort of information I was looking for :yep:

I defo have porosity issues as my hair dries pretty fast after washing with no prompting from any type of heat source :ohwell:

I may also be using heat monthly/ bi-monthly if I continue BKT'ing....

I forgot to mention that I do my mild protein treatments weekly as you plan to do.

Have you ever done an ACV rinse? Also I don't know what products you use, but the more acidic your products, the more closed your hair cuticles will be and hence the less porous it will be. If you can add even just a very dilute ACV solution as a final rinse, you may find your hair's porosity improves some.

Vintageglam

I forgot to mention that I do my mild protein treatments weekly as you plan to do.

Have you ever done an ACV rinse? Also I don't know what products you use, but the more acidic your products, the more closed your hair cuticles will be and hence the less porous it will be. If you can add even just a very dilute ACV solution as a final rinse, you may find your hair's porosity improves some.

Never done an ACV rinse as I would not know where to start and which brand of ACV to buy/ use :look:.

I did however buy the joico cuticle sealer recommended by Taz007 which I belive has a pH in the 2 -3's. I am traveling at the mo so have no access to it but did like it when I tried it :yep:

Nonie

Never done an ACV rinse as I would not know where to start and which brand of ACV to buy/ use :look:.

I did however buy the joico cuticle sealer recommended by Taz007 which I belive has a pH in the 2 -3's. I am traveling at the mo so have no access to it but did like it when I tried it :yep:

Any Apple Cider Vinegar will do. I will even use the one I got at 7-11 when I realized I was out after stores closed. You could add it to gallon of warm water and you only need like 1/4 cup (or if you're eyeballing, just put a few drop to make the water yellow-ish; err on the side of caution by using less than you think you need coz too much acidity can break down keratin)...then pour it over your head after you rinse off conditioner. I usually add 20 drops of EOs of lavender and rosemary.

Don't worry too much about the acid smell. It will disappear as your hair dries and all you'll smell is the conditioner you used or whatever other products you used.

I also like to mix it in a basin of water and dunk my head in it and massage my scalp while my hair absorbs the acid goodness. ACV closes your hair cuticles and makes strands feel smooth and tangle less. Closed cuticles also help prevent your hair from losing internal moisture.

Also, I'm not the right person to talk about moisturizers but water-based moisturizers unless they have glycerin and lots of water like jheri juice tend to lose that water and leave hair dry. So maybe use something like jheri juice or if you must use other water-based moisturizers (creamy kind), then you may need to seal that in with some oil or serum. Problem with serums, they prevent you from adding more moisture. Baggying at night can also help with holding onto the moisture your hair has.

Vintageglam

^^^ Thanks Nonie - you're a life saver !!! I made my own Jherri juice which I have been using with Rosewater, Glycerine a few drops of EO's and 10% Giovanni Leave in (new formula). I really like it so will continue with it but will also start sealing and look into the ACV rinses.

You're a star :kiss:

Nonie

BTW, I don't seal when I use S Curl. It doesn't dry up and I baggy every night. I don't think you need to seal in jheri juice. Try it without sealing and see. I think sometimes doing too much becomes a problem. Less is more IMO.

Perhaps take a peek in the jheri juice challenge and see what others are doing. But I would suggest you try just the jheri juice with nothing else. If your home-made one doesn't seem to do the trick, would you try the factory made ones? Not trying to diss your formula but you know how you can give two people the same ingredients and their cakes turn out differently? I know S Curl and Care Free Curl Gold have gotten a lot of positive reviews so don't dismiss jheri juice till you've tested the old tried and true.

I think if you use S Curl and baggy (plait your hair for the night), your hair will transform before your eyes.

loolalooh

I vote "none". When I tried a deep protein treatment, it messed up the natural balance big time. Never again.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
My hair hates protein. The Aphogee 2 step was way too strong for my hair and cause breakage. If my hair felt the need for protein, it would be very light to mild.

Pooks

Thanks for this thread Stel, confirmed that I should stick to my mild protein and not mess with my process. When did you BC? :grin:

ryanshope

4A/B---no hard protein for me. I use light proteins and moisturizing conditioners. Doesn't seem necessary.

cmw45

My natural hair is protein sensitive and I do not use any protein at all. My relaxed hair loved hair proteins and Nexxus Emergencee was my hair's BFF.

ctosha

I have never used a hard protein and never will simply because hair hair does not need it. I incorporate a light protein Lekair, in my regime once or twice a month and that is all i need really. I recently used ORS hair mayo and that even was too strong for me, my hair started to break just tiny c's nothing to be concerned about but as soon as cowashed with a moisturizing dc it stopped the tiny c shaped breakage dead in its tracks.