U.S. woman's body found in suitcase in Bali

Ogoma

Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) - The cabbie probably thought nothing of it when the young couple left their large hard-sided suitcase in the trunk of his car and went back into the five-star hotel.

They said they needed to find the other person they were with and to pay their bill.

But after a lengthy wait, the young man and woman still hadn't returned. Puzzled, the driver called hotel security.

The suitcase in the trunk looked very odd. It was wrapped in a bedsheet. Then the cabbie saw blood.

When authorities at the South Kuta station in Bali, Indonesia, opened it, they found inside the badly beaten body of Sheila von Weise Mack, wrapped in a blood-stained bedsheet.

Two smaller suitcases were found in the St. Regis Bali Resort garden. Both contained hotel towels with blood on them, according to police.

Mack, 62, of Chicago, had been staying at the posh St. Regis with her daughter, Heather Mack, and the daughter's boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer.

The daughter and her boyfriend were later found at another hotel about 10 kilometers (6 miles) away. The couple's St. Regis room was "very messy," with clothes still inside.

The couple told police they had been taken captive at the resort Tuesday by an armed gang, whose members killed Sheila von Weise Mack, but they escaped, CNN affiliate Trans TV reported.

Djoko Hari Utomo, police chief of Denpasar, the capital of Bali, said the pair were taken into custody but said they cannot be described as suspects at this point of the investigation.

starchgirl

Saw a report that the relationship between mom and daughter was very bad and the police were called to their home over 80 times for domestic violence.

May the mother rest in peace. She did not deserve the indignity inflicted on her by her daughter and boyfriend.

Kiowa

Stupid kids... that hotel...its not cheap...like $500 a night, who did they think were going to pay the bill?

Indonesia jails are harsh...and sentences even harsher

Mother

Last edited:

okange76

They are in the hottest soup of their lives. They have no idea. Indonesia executes people for drug possession, murder and terrorism. They are definitely going to be put to death. Being American will not help them one bit because Americans have been executed for drugs before. Execution is by firing squad in the middle of the night in some remote location.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
They are in the hottest soup of their lives. They have no idea. Indonesia executes people for drug possession, murder and terrorism. They are definitely going to be put to death. Being American will not help them one bit because Americans have been executed for drugs before. Execution is by firing squad in the middle of the night in some remote location.

Justice served!

Cien

Pink is my signature color
wow...I had seen the pic of the mother, but not the daughter/boyfriend. I'm shocked!

The daughter looks different in the attached pic:

How evil they must be to fold and stuff the mom into a suitcase. :nono:

On another note, what kind of parent allows her teen daughter to bring her boyfriend on a trip like that---or any trip for that matter?

Attachments

• bali-5.jpg
    bali-5.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 992

Mortons

That was the wrong place to pull this type of crime. In the US we piddle around with juveniles and let them run around. In Indonesia and other places you would be lucky not to get hanged or shot shortly after sentencing.

SoopremeBeing

This story never gets old.

Let's see: mom and daughter already have a rocky relationship. Daughter gets a boyfriend, mom doesn't like him too much. But mom relents and accepts him anyway. Mom and daughter get into a fight, and tells boyfriend she hates her mom. Boyfriend offers to whack mom. Daughter and boyfriend participate in the murder together.

They might have had a chance in the U.S. but they are FINISHED.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
The mother was married to a well-known (African American) Chicago Jazz musician, James L. Mack. He had a heart attack and died in 2006 while vacationing in Greece.

Vacations are not good for this family!

These evil teenagers are so stupid, they have lost their freedom and possibly their lives forever. Who wants to spend the rest of their life in a prison in Bali?? Or be executed there?

I guess I cannot reject them, but...

Kiowa

This story never gets old.

Let's see: mom and daughter already have a rocky relationship. Daughter gets a boyfriend, mom doesn't like him too much. But mom relents and accepts him anyway. Mom and daughter get into a fight, and tells boyfriend she hates her mom. Boyfriend offers to whack mom. Daughter and boyfriend participate in the murder together.

They might have had a chance in the U.S. but they are FINISHED.

This is the part I don't get...so after the murder, what next? I reject them, not because of race, but because they are plain stupid..

SoopremeBeing

This is the part I don't get...so after the murder, what next? I reject them, not because of race, but because they are plain stupid..

:yep::yep:

Someone usually squeals after the murder. Usually the boyfriend, "she told me to do it." Boyfriend gets about 20 years, but girlfriend gets life for plotting the murder.

So many documented stories like this, and people STILL think they can get away with it. Yep, STOOPID.

chicitygirl

I know quite a few people that were neighbors of this family. Word on the street is that she was the typical spoiled rich kid that they basically never disciplined and she ran the house. Threatened to beat the mom's butt everyday and this all got really bad when the dad died. The mom was afraid of her. And as you can see from the pics, she wasn't anything intimidating physically.

IMO, this is a perfect example of how not properly parenting your kid and setting up discipline and boundaries will literally have your kid out here committing murder and thinking they can get away with it. It's a shame. I think she tried to give her everything and allow her freedom and "choices" (she apparently let the girl drop out of high school, even though she was smart, and kept giving her money to basically spend all her time partying) and she raised a monster in the process.

Kiowa

:yep::yep:

Someone usually squeals after the murder. Usually the boyfriend, "she told me to do it." Boyfriend gets about 20 years, but girlfriend gets life for plotting the murder.

So many documented stories like this, and people STILL think they can get away with it. Yep, STOOPID.

I admit to being an IDTV addict, and white folk seem to stay trying to get away with this...we don't need to be equal in everything:lol:

bluediamond0829

Wow and the story they told authorities was really bad. Yea they were held hostage by a gang. Yea right but all that time your in a cab with a suitcase with your Mom's body in it and you escaped but didn't say anything to the cab driver to take you to the police department. Right. Had to plot a good story to come up with. And then to still be in the country and in the area too.

They are gone and weren't smart at all. You are in a foreign country and commit murder.

Kiowa

It's not just a person, it's her daughter, it gets blurry. I'm sure she didn't expect to be murdered.

They might be able to prove that it's pre-mediated

it emerged Schaefer told friends he didn't expect to return from his trip to the paradise island.Schaefer wrote on Facebook that he was going to Indonesia and 'wasn't sure when he was coming back', then going to China, a former college friend said

JaneBond007

I know quite a few people that were neighbors of this family. Word on the street is that she was the typical spoiled rich kid that they basically never disciplined and she ran the house. Threatened to beat the mom's butt everyday and this all got really bad when the dad died. The mom was afraid of her. And as you can see from the pics, she wasn't anything intimidating physically.

IMO, this is a perfect example of how not properly parenting your kid and setting up discipline and boundaries will literally have your kid out here committing murder and thinking they can get away with it. It's a shame. I think she tried to give her everything and allow her freedom and "choices" (she apparently let the girl drop out of high school, even though she was smart, and kept giving her money to basically spend all her time partying) and she raised a monster in the process.

:blush::blush::blush: Discipline is necessary, but we must face it, some people are just plain evil no matter what. Plenty of spoiled children don't murder their parents.

Kiowa

Drug run with promises of a ton of money after the trip, nice hotel stay. Something went wrong, the drugs weren't delivered, the drug gang killed the mother, maybe.

The mother was already wealthy...that hotel is a $500 a night hotel...why would they need do a drug run? Kid has an established history with the mother....mother does not like hip hop wanna be boyfriend -it would not be the first time someone got someone else to whack a parent...consequences be damned

starchgirl

Daughter was intent on doing wrong. She and the boyfriend were recently caught partying at a Chicago hotel using the mom's credit card without her permission.