ugh... protein + moisture balance

sunshinebeautiful

i've been here for awhile and i'm finally just getting a hang of this protein/moisture balance... only i had a small setback last night... i decided to wash and debated for awhile with what to dc with.. i was like, hey, i haven't used protein in awhile, so i pulled out my k-pak reconstructor and followed up with the moisturizing treatment - with heat.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

i should have known my hair didn't need that extra protein. as soon as i finished rinsing it out and detangling to prepare for a rollerset, snap, crackle, and pop - there were broken hairs everywhere. much more so than before i did the protein treatment. :ohwell: i panicked and went right back underneath that dryer with some humecto. i wasn't about to loose no more hair. :lachen:

today its a lot softer, more moisturized, less breakage, but still moreso than usual. if i get too schizo about it, i'm going under the dryer for another dc. has this ever happened to you? trying to anticipate your hair's needs, guessing wrong, and having it rebel on you?

Eisani

My hair hates heavy protein period so when I use one, it's light or a product that's already a mixture of the two. When I feel my hair needs it, I'll mix K-pak Reconstruct Daily Conditioner (heavier on the moisture, very light on keratin) w/one or two of my moisturizing conds. This has worked like a dream for me. HTH!

chebaby

maybe its not the protein itself but maybe the moisturizing conditioner you used just wasnt enough. or maybe you didnt leave it on long enough at first. i just saying because i know the joico is a strong protein and you need a moisturizing conditioner that can take it on.

lilsparkle825

i'm still learning what my hair likes and doesn't like, i just know i can run my fingers through my hair and i will have all these short relaxed ends on my fingers. i dont know whats up. i tried upping the moisture then i did an emergencee treatment; this resulted in less breakage but i still get those pieces on the front of my shirt whether i am using a comb, brush, or my fingers.

LivingDoll

:yep: yup. it happened to me too. when i first joined the board i decided that i needed a protein treatment. everyone was talking about aphoghee (the two step heavy duty, hard as a brick when dry, stinky one). i went out, brought it, put it in and proceeded to be mortified. my hair was soooo dry and brittle, even after dcing. it took a few weeks to get my hair back to normal.

there was a good lesson to be learned from that traumatic experience...my hair doesn't need heavy duty protein. i'm good with an ors pak or something light like that. the heaviest protein i use is ultra sheen duo tex.

Geminigirl

yep I am going through it right now. I can't figure out what my hair needs these days so I don't even mess with it like I used to for fear of losing to much hair.

LongiLox

i've been here for awhile and i'm finally just getting a hang of this protein/moisture balance... only i had a small setback last night... i decided to wash and debated for awhile with what to dc with.. i was like, hey, i haven't used protein in awhile, so i pulled out my k-pak reconstructor and followed up with the moisturizing treatment - with heat.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

i should have known my hair didn't need that extra protein. as soon as i finished rinsing it out and detangling to prepare for a rollerset, snap, crackle, and pop - there were broken hairs everywhere. much more so than before i did the protein treatment. :ohwell: i panicked and went right back underneath that dryer with some humecto. i wasn't about to loose no more hair. :lachen:

today its a lot softer, more moisturized, less breakage, but still moreso than usual. if i get too schizo about it, i'm going under the dryer for another dc. has this ever happened to you? trying to anticipate your hair's needs, guessing wrong, and having it rebel on you?

Yes! This happened to me just a week and a half ago. I had just relaxed my hair a week prior to the protein overload incident. My hair was nice and soft and I'd just reached APL. A week later my silly ass debated whether or not to use my heavy Aphogee treatment I've had for about 8 months and never used. My hair had always been on the side that needed more protein than moisture, so I decided to use it. Big mistake!! My hair has been breaking since. I ended up either co-washing, deep conditioning, or washing with a moisturizing conditioner, just about everyday for a week. It seems like it's reducing a bit but my ends look so much thinner. I'm really sad about it but I have to move on.

sunshinebeautiful

maybe its not the protein itself but maybe the moisturizing conditioner you used just wasnt enough. or maybe you didnt leave it on long enough at first. i just saying because i know the joico is a strong protein and you need a moisturizing conditioner that can take it on.

Yeah, I feel you. This is a definite possibility as well.

sunshinebeautiful

:yep: yup. it happened to me too. when i first joined the board i decided that i needed a protein treatment. everyone was talking about aphoghee (the two step heavy duty, hard as a brick when dry, stinky one). i went out, brought it, put it in and proceeded to be mortified. my hair was soooo dry and brittle, even after dcing. it took a few weeks to get my hair back to normal.

there was a good lesson to be learned from that traumatic experience...my hair doesn't need heavy duty protein. i'm good with an ors pak or something light like that. the heaviest protein i use is ultra sheen duo tex.

Chile, I did that mess too. I had been using aphogee without any problems, then just decided that it was time for another treatment. :nono: My hair broke off everywhere, and yeah, it took like a month to get back to normal. I shudder when I think of all the unneccessary hair loss.

myronnie

I honestly haven't used hardcore aphogee treatment in like 6 months..no lie and my hair is ok! :grin:
Now that i rarely use sulfate shampoos, I've noticed that my hair has been much more stronger..like the individual strands are so hard and firm now! It's weird too because i rarely even protein dc..i mainly use moisture dc's.
Anywhoo i tend to do a protein dc every month or so when i chelate and my hair has done just fine.