Uh OH! Protein overload!

MaryJane3000

So I have protein overload and I'm trying to correct it but IDK how! How do you ladies do it? I cowashed my hair saturday and didnt feel much of a difference..should I keep cowashing until its corrected? And what are some good moisturizing hair products? I'm finding that the ones I have all have some amount of protein. I think the only protein free moisturizer I have is my wave novueo moisturizing hair lotion. HELP PLEASE!!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i never had protein over load becuase i kill it everytime with glycerin based hair moisturizers. lol other ladies already know ima talk about scurl, care free curl, poor it onnnn, baggy it up, watever. and then youll be GOLDEN! get a serious moisturizing condtioner and sleep with it in hair overnight with a plastic bag. protein overload is easy to get rid of.

theLovelyStyle

Last week I suffered from protein overload. It left my hair hard and tangled. I corrected it by doing a moisturizing DC. I dont think special conditioner is needed...I used a cheapie like suave or Vo5 and left it on for 30 mins. Hair was soft and back to normal.

Bluetopia

i never had protein over load becuase i kill it everytime with glycerin based hair moisturizers. lol other ladies already know ima talk about scurl, care free curl, poor it onnnn, baggy it up, watever. and then youll be GOLDEN! get a serious moisturizing condtioner and sleep with it in hair overnight with a plastic bag. protein overload is easy to get rid of.

As someone who has spent months recovering from protein overload using many of the techniques you mentioned (and then some) I have to VERY strongly disagree with that statement.

Depending on how it happens and how extensive it is...protein overload isn't always easy to get rid of.

I want to make sure I state that explicitly ...just in case someone reading this (who's had a hard time resolving their protein imbalance)....doesnt get the wrong idea or become discouraged.

i'm glad it was easy for you but for some of us....not so much :nono:

JJamiah

As someone who has spent months recovering from protein overload using many of the techniques you mentioned (and then some) I have to VERY strongly disagree with that statement.

Depending on how it happens and how extensive it is...protein overload isn't always easy to get rid of.

I want to make sure I state that explicitly ...just in case someone reading this (who's had a hard time resolving their protein imbalance)....doesnt get the wrong idea or become discouraged.

i'm glad it was easy for you but for some of us....not so much :nono:

I agree it took me 5 months to get my PRotein overload under control from MT.

You have to do it carefully otherwise you can tip the scale to the other side (too much moisture) and have a mess on your hands. It does depend on the scale and how heavy it is tipped! :D

Last edited:

Whisper

I agree with Bluetopia and JJamiah, it took me 4 to 5 months and it was stressful. I used Kenra conditioner and tried every moisturizing add ins..honey, shea oil, etc... It took a while, but co wash and lots of deep conditioning. I hope you are one of the lucky ones who bounce back quickly!

Last edited:

MaryJane3000

thanks ladies when I get out of class today I'm going to go pick up some s curl and then cowash my hair n deep condition and add in honey, shea butter, and castor oil...hopefully thatll help

chelleypie810

I agree with Bluetopia and JJamiah, it took me 4 to 5 months and it was stressful. I used Kenra conditioner and tried every moisturizing add ins..honey, shea oil, etc... It took a while, but co wash and lots of deep conditioning. I hope you are one of the lucky ones who bounce back quickly!

Really? When i had protein overload I didn't even know that I had it but, after 2 weeks or so my hair was still really hard after every wash and I realized I was using mostly protein products. After 2 weeks of only using my moisture products on my hair, it was back to normal again. Try AO Honeysucklerose. It has done wonders on my dry hair. It'll soften your hair up in a jiffy.

ceebee3

Really? When i had protein overload I didn't even know that I had it but, after 2 weeks or so my hair was still really hard after every wash and I realized I was using mostly protein products. After 2 weeks of only using my moisture products on my hair, it was back to normal again. Try AO Honeysucklerose. It has done wonders on my dry hair. It'll soften your hair up in a jiffy.

Protein overload is no joke. It's not just about hard hair, the hair is dry, brittle and breaking all over the place.

It's not easy to reverse at all. I did hot oil treatments, deep conditioning treatments and co-washing multiple times a week for 6 weeks before my hair was back to some kind of normal.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I had protein overload last week and noticed it because my hair ripped LOUDLY when I tried to detangle in the shower. I washed everything out of my hair (didn't clarify tho) and did a cholesterol/garlic extract DC w/heat cap. I also did a DC w/cap the next day with NTM Deep Recovery Hair Mask and left it in for awhile after the heat cap too. I got back to moisturizing, sealing and ps and my hair was and is fine. You can believe I put away all the proteins for awhile. :blush: Oh, and I cowash with NTM Daily Deep conditioner. I hope that your situation corrects itself quickly too.

Whisper

Protein overload is no joke. It's not just about hard hair, the hair is dry, brittle and breaking all over the place.

It's not easy to reverse at all. I did hot oil treatments, deep conditioning treatments and co-washing multiple times a week for 6 weeks before my hair was back to some kind of normal.[/QUOTE

So true, it was a stressful time :nono: Never again!

Vintageglam

OP I think you have got some pretty good advice here, I also co-sign on the use of a Clarifying poo, co-washing and DCing with moisture based products on a regular basis.

Also one thing I try to do is stay away from hardcore protein treatments and instead opt for moisturising conditioners with some protein in them so that I get my little and often fix as opposed to sending my hair into a state of shock.

I am using MT at the moment and I dilute it down heavily and only apply 2 -3x a week to the scalp. I never use it as a DC or on my hair.

I also have a habit of diluting everything down such as leave ins with protein. In fact I dilute almost everything down as I thing AA products tend to go for the jugular far too often.