UK Ladies - just want to vent on Hair shops

Tashique

Please could someone tell me why in the UK we have only hair shops run by indians? :ohwell:

I have nothing against indians but when i want info on any hair product its not about asking the shop assitant as he dont no jack about it.

You tend to hear 'yes that very good product everybody buy here'

Now whose everybody? how much hair does everybody have left :look:after using the product.

Sorry for venting:D

JLove74

Tashique said:
Please could someone tell me why in the UK we have only hair shops run by indians? :ohwell:

I have nothing against indians but when i want info on any hair product its not about asking the shop assitant as he dont no jack about it.

You tend to hear 'yes that very good product everybody buy here'

Now whose everybody? how much hair does everybody have left :look:after using the product.

Sorry for venting:D

for the same reason Koreans, run our BSS - they've taken over......

rosalindb

There are two black-owned shops near me and they are always practically empty. A new Asian owned shop opened a few months ago and the shop is always full so I doubt if the black-owned stores will be in business much longer. To be honest I do not know how they have lasted so long.

There was a third store about 30 minute walk away from me which I would go to but they closed down a couple of weeks ago so if I need anything now I will go to the other 2 stores.

It is extremely disturbing that black people will not support their own.

Tashique

rosalindb: Same here, I had one near me that lasted about 2 months.

I was told because the indians have sole distribution :eek: for alot of products in the UK, its harder for the other hair shops to get alot of products.

Mizani_Mrs

Yea the same thing around here. Most are Korean, i have seen a few indian shops. I have 2 main shops i go to and I think they are indian? And they are very friendly towards me. Some of the korean shops arent though. But u know what, I had a black-owned shop down the street from my home and I tried to support them, though a korean BSS was closer to my home. But i can think of 3 or 4 times I drove there (during business hours) and the store was closed. Also they had most of the popular products but not alot of variety. and I noticed that things tended to be about .25 to .50cents more expensive than one of the korean BSS. And the lady at the counter wasn't customer service friendly...I believe she was the owner. She never bothered to acknowledge me or ask me if i need help. I never went back after the 4th time, and maybe 3months later, they closed down. And a black BSS by my sisters house, they had decent prices and was in a great location, it was an older couple and they were very friendly. But they closed after maybe 6months. I dont know why?? Perhaps they dont profit as much as they think??? If i had the loot, i'd start up a BSS and everyone who comes thru the door will get a smile and a hello and ask if they need any help. And if they hair is toe-up, i will recommend products and give out flyers of good hair regimens... I would have a white board with featured products and also weekly tips. And I'd have an A+ must-have product list, hanging somewhere. I would give out my email address and tell them to email me with any hair problems. and possibly create a hair FAQ website.... :D
hmmmmm.... maybe i'll start saving now!!!

Candy_C

Mizani_Mrs said:
Yea the same thing around here. Most are Korean, i have seen a few indian shops. I have 2 main shops i go to and I think they are indian? And they are very friendly towards me. Some of the korean shops arent though. But u know what, I had a black-owned shop down the street from my home and I tried to support them, though a korean BSS was closer to my home. But i can think of 3 or 4 times I drove there (during business hours) and the store was closed. Also they had most of the popular products but not alot of variety. and I noticed that things tended to be about .25 to .50cents more expensive than one of the korean BSS. And the lady at the counter wasn't customer service friendly...I believe she was the owner. She never bothered to acknowledge me or ask me if i need help. I never went back after the 4th time, and maybe 3months later, they closed down. And a black BSS by my sisters house, they had decent prices and was in a great location, it was an older couple and they were very friendly. But they closed after maybe 6months. I dont know why?? Perhaps they dont profit as much as they think??? If i had the loot, i'd start up a BSS and everyone who comes thru the door will get a smile and a hello and ask if they need any help. And if they hair is toe-up, i will recommend products and give out flyers of good hair regimens... I would have a white board with featured products and also weekly tips. And I'd have an A+ must-have product list, hanging somewhere. I would give out my email address and tell them to email me with any hair problems. and possibly create a hair FAQ website.... :D
hmmmmm.... maybe i'll start saving now!!!

you think like me! seriously think about that, it would be really good!
i would love 2 start my own busines sin the UK, and i'm still planning work as we speak.

i think asian stores in uk are ok, i dont really like assitants help anyway! i know what i wanna buy and juss wanna run in and go. blk hair BSS just wanna chat crap about how so and so is great, and i know its rubbish. the last black store i went to didn't have keracare, i said why? and the lady says cus its expensive and rubbish etc etc. i thought errrm ok then, just cuz u cant afford 2 stock it, u dnt need 2 diss it. i really like asian bss, they usually have what i need to.

Candy_C

i 4got to add, i usually go to the black shop b4 the indian one, merely because its closer. not being sad but if they aint got what i need then what am i sposed 2 do really?!

plus the black bss is usually more expensive, i aint gonna spend an extra £2 on something i saw in the asian bss just cus the people are my own race...when it comes 2 my hair i dont really want 2 consider economy and fairness, just want the right stuff for my head peice!

Mizani_Mrs

OK GIRL!!! I feel you.. 2 snaps in a circle... LOL. And Macherie, girl u know i'd hook u up with keracare discounts!!! BUT i dont think u would want to come down cause I would honestly put my hands all up in your hair. And then just run so you can't hit me. :lachen: Im sorry but drool over your hair every day....

sherann

Mizani_Mrs said:
OK GIRL!!! I feel you.. 2 snaps in a circle... LOL. And Macherie, girl u know i'd hook u up with keracare discounts!!! BUT i dont think u would want to come down cause I would honestly put my hands all up in your hair. And then just run so you can't hit me. :lachen: Im sorry but drool over your hair every day....

You're not alone...I do this often:lol:

rosalindb

Candy_C said:
i 4got to add, i usually go to the black shop b4 the indian one, merely because its closer. not being sad but if they aint got what i need then what am i sposed 2 do really?!

plus the black bss is usually more expensive, i aint gonna spend an extra £2 on something i saw in the asian bss just cus the people are my own race...when it comes 2 my hair i dont really want 2 consider economy and fairness, just want the right stuff for my head peice!

I used to think the same until I spoke to the owner of one of the black owned stores. He explained that as the wholesalers are asian, they also control the distribution. In addition the asian owned retailers are bigger so they can buy in bulk therefore receive larger discounts which they pass on to their customers.

Unless the black owned stores are supported they will never grow.

For two years I purchased all my products from black owned stores and I estimate that on average it cost me roughly an additional £2 per month which in approximately £25 per year, £30 max but I never used alot of products anyway so that is just me.

I actually found another black owned store tonight and just popped in out of curiosity as I now only use natural products so no longer purchase from these stores. Their prices were extortionate so I would never have purchased from them anyway. For example they were selling African Pride braid spray for £2.25and I used to purchase it from the other black owned store for £1.69 meanwhile the Asian store was selling for £1.49 so it was not that much more expensive

If they do not sell what you want do you ask them to stock it for you? I asked the black owned store to stock the Jason Sea Kelp shampoo and conditioner and he was interested and took the details down but unfortunately they have since closed.

Candy_C

rosalindb said:
I used to think the same until I spoke to the owner of one of the black owned stores. He explained that as the wholesalers are asian, they also control the distribution. In addition the asian owned retailers are bigger so they can buy in bulk therefore receive larger discounts which they pass on to their customers.

Unless the black owned stores are supported they will never grow.

For two years I purchased all my products from black owned stores and I estimate that on average it cost me roughly an additional £2 per month which in approximately £25 per year, £30 max but I never used alot of products anyway so that is just me.

I actually found another black owned store tonight and just popped in out of curiosity as I now only use natural products so no longer purchase from these stores. Their prices were extortionate so I would never have purchased from them anyway. For example they were selling African Pride braid spray for £2.25and I used to purchase it from the other black owned store for £1.69 meanwhile the Asian store was selling for £1.49 so it was not that much more expensive

If they do not sell what you want do you ask them to stock it for you? I asked the black owned store to stock the Jason Sea Kelp shampoo and conditioner and he was interested and took the details down but unfortunately they have since closed.

hi, yes i've asked a few times and they have stocked it (MNT), they are good when u ask, its just i'ma poor student! if its more money i just cant do it. when i'm graduated and got a decent wage by all means.

Crissi

Candy_C said:

Its true, blk ppl are to tief!, i seen a tiny bottle of nexxus emergencee in juliets for £16!!!! :eek: , yet it was £5.99 in beauty queens, and the other muslim owned store on birchfield road. Besides the blk shops don't ever stock want you want, they run out of the damn basics!!! e.g palmers, and dax are sold everywhere, yet trust the black store to be lacking in the simplest of brands. As far as im concerned "dem can kiss mi nek bak", until they start stocking everything, and at a reasonable price. Becah, dem is gettin a lickle to optimistic with the prices!

dimpalz

... I dunno. When I was up in Leicester the black hair shop there was black owned and it had EVERYTHING, keracare, nexxus, profectiv, elasta qp, even some affirm stuff and all the basic brands. The prices didn't seem that steep to me. The profectiv tubs cost me 2.99 I think but they're rubbish - ne1 wanna buy them? a fiver for both PM - so I only used them once =( There's another black hair shop there too thats not a big but quite successful, an indian one opened and it got AIR. It was gone in less than 2 months.

I don't think it's just the suppliers, sure sometimes Asians can monopolise industries but someone worked hard in the first place to get the contacts. If you don't wanna put in the work you wont get anything out. I'm not really into supporting black businesses like that, sorry, because I don't feel like people should show me love just cos we share the same skin colour. You want my business you earn my business! Having said that now I'm going to the hair shop in Hackney to get my goods not cos it's asian run, I'm going cos it's easy to get to and they have everything I need, if a black-owed/run one cropped up closer to home but it was a little bit more expensive I'd go there for convenience. But like someone said I don't need their advice I know what I want and besides like some stranger in a shop (black or any other colour) can tell you what will work for you? Half the time stylists cant even figure it out.

Tashique

Im hearing you and I do agree - but I think their all so thief.

As I have two Paks shops near me and both sale the Keracare products at different prices :ohwell: and dont even get me started on the hair shops in Brixton, as they all have different prices.

I went into buy Motions Silk Protein and the small tub was £3.99 and the large tub was £3.99. Now I had to ask the man whats that about, after I bought the large one that is :D

The man started telling me oh sorry wrong price, now he's telling me the large one should of been 6.99. Well I had to tell him you should price up your s..t correctively.

4 days later I ran to get my little brother some braid spray and low & behold the motions were still priced exactly the same.

Now he's got me wondering have they past the sell by date or something :look:

dimpalz

Hey Tashique! In them instances I think they just bein teef, I think the smaller one is probably only worth about 1.99 but if he ups them to 3.99 he can make a little extra if someone's not interested in or doesn't look at the big one. I wouldn't be above those tricks if I had a store :sekret:

rosalindb

dimpalz said:
I'm not really into supporting black businesses like that, sorry, because I don't feel like people should show me love just cos we share the same skin colour.
I agree. There are other factors to consider such as customer service etc. I was so insulted one day by an employee of the Asian store that I used to go to that I never went there again. The man stared at my breasts and groin and said "I hear that black girls are very very hot" I just left my goods on the counter and walked out.

Candy_C said:
hi, yes i've asked a few times and they have stocked it (MNT), they are good when u ask, its just i'ma poor student! if its more money i just cant do it. when i'm graduated and got a decent wage by all means.
Fair enough :)

Last edited:

hopeg80

dimpalz said:
I don't think it's just the suppliers, sure sometimes Asians can monopolise industries but someone worked hard in the first place to get the contacts. If you don't wanna put in the work you wont get anything out. I'm not really into supporting black businesses like that, sorry, because I don't feel like people should show me love just cos we share the same skin colour. You want my business you earn my business! Having said that now I'm going to the hair shop in Hackney to get my goods not cos it's asian run, I'm going cos it's easy to get to and they have everything I need, if a black-owed/run one cropped up closer to home but it was a little bit more expensive I'd go there for convenience. But like someone said I don't need their advice I know what I want and besides like some stranger in a shop (black or any other colour) can tell you what will work for you? Half the time stylists cant even figure it out.

You know what.... I am going to have to PM you. I am soon coming back to the UK to live and we will be living in the clapton,hackney area. I need to know where some good BSS are in the Area.

Oh and to answer the questions. I think that the whole BSS franchise is ran by family members. I work on the weekends for a Asian owned store and they are related to a few other store owners in the area and they are all under one guy. They know how to make money and help each other out in starting business. Not to mention that the distrubitors that they buy from are probably asian or in there family too.

It is a shame that most black shops can't do the same thing.

rosalindb

hopeg80 said:
Oh and to answer the questions. I think that the whole BSS franchise is ran by family members. I work on the weekends for a Asian owned store and they are related to a few other store owners in the area and they are all under one guy. They know how to make money and help each other out in starting business. Not to mention that the distrubitors that they buy from are probably asian or in there family too.

It is a shame that most black shops can't do the same thing.
The lady that used to work at the black owned store that closed down told me that the owner collaborated with some of the other black owned stores in the London area and he agreed to place a bulk order on behalf of everyone. That way they would receive a higher discount which they could then pass on to the customers amd everyone wins

The other stores then reneged on the agreement to reimburse him so he was left to foot the whole bill himself and that was that. What can I say?

spelmanlocks

I always try to buy from black supply shops when I can. Most of the Asian owned shops don't know anything about our hair or hair care products, so they can't answer any questions about how a product works, ect. I mean sometimes they can't even aswer basic questions about a product. Not to mention other races of people often purposely shop with people of their own race and I feel like well why shouldn't I.

I also buy some of my hair care products from beauty salons.