Understanding fasting and praying to God

star

What Is Fasting?

One of the most powerful weapons of spiritual warfare and gaining favor that God has given to His children is fasting?a way of crucifying the flesh or denying your flesh the basic sustenance of food or something. Although fasting will weaken you physically, it will highly enlighten you spiritually. Fasting is a form of spiritual discipline that informs God that you are serious about repentance and change to come in your life. It is a significant part of your Christian walk, just as praying and reading the Bible are. Fasting is for everyone who desires to draw closer to God.
When you fast, you do not have to give up just food; it can be anything of importance to you that is a sacrifice. Whenever you fast, you need to pray and seek the Lord, otherwise you are just depriving your body of food and not getting in touch with what the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you.
Although fasting is not commanded in the Bible, it is expected of all believers in their Christian walk, for Matthew 6:17-18 says, ?When you fast. ? Jesus did not say, if you fast, but rather when you fast, therefore, Jesus reveals through scripture that fasting is expected however, it is not commanded. You are not committing sin by not fasting.

One-on-One fasting - Only God knows your fasting and possibly your mate
Group fasting - With others such as Church members, family or friends.

Absolute fast- No food or No water(make sure God tells you to do this some people still do the water) Esther in the bible did this for three(3) days with her maids, servants etc. before she went before the King her husband. She did this to gain favor.

Parital fast- Daniel in the Bible did this with eating only vegtables and fruits; some people do this also with juice.

Normal fast - Jesus did this while fasting forty(40) days and night. Jesus DID drink water doing this fast.

DO WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU AND AS GOD LEADS YOU.

Good book to read on fasting by Authur Willis entitled "God's Chosen Fast"

Last edited:

tweezer6

It's interesting that you posted this. Great info by the way. What you said about nobody knowing but you and God is what caught my attention the most. When I fast (Daniel fast), it always seems that people start bugging me about why I'm not eating!! Recently a family member was insisting that I try a piece of her cake. I tried to be polite and just say, "no thank you." Then she wanted me to sample something else and I said no again. Well she was getting agitated. It reached the point to where I had to tell her that I was fasting so that she would stop offering me food! Then she said, "Oh, I need to fast too." People can't just leave well enough alone.

star

tweezer6 said:
It's interesting that you posted this. Great info by the way. What you said about nobody knowing but you and God is what caught my attention the most. When I fast (Daniel fast), it always seems that people start bugging me about why I'm not eating!! Recently a family member was insisting that I try a piece of her cake. I tried to be polite and just say, "no thank you." Then she wanted me to sample something else and I said no again. Well she was getting agitated. It reached the point to where I had to tell her that I was fasting so that she would stop offering me food! Then she said, "Oh, I need to fast too." People can't just leave well enough alone.
I know I have had similar problems. I think people sometimes know you are fasting and want to see if you will fall. I also feel God allows this to happen so we can know how to handle this. I think I got it down now with some of tricks. We people insist I tell them to wrap it up and I will eat it later. I have learn to just say whatever they are offering I now eating that today whether it be sweets, meat etc. even though I may not be eating nothing. Thanks for sharing. It is all a learning lesson with God as our teacher. What great teacher? :)

dreamer26

Star

This is a great post because a lot of people don't know how or why they fast, many do it just because they heard of it.

Great post because we need to understand more of what we are doing in the body so that we can be more effective in our lives.

star

dreamer26 said:
Star

This is a great post because a lot of people don't know how or why they fast, many do it just because they heard of it.

Great post because we need to understand more of what we are doing in the body so that we can be more effective in our lives.
I totally agree we need to be empowered with knowledge.:)

isioma85

I'm on day 3 of my 3 day fast. I took a fast from all foods until 6pm, and I give myself a window from 6pm till midnight to eat. Then at midnight I do vigil prayers for an hour.

It has been absolutely wonderful. From day one, favor's been coming my way in unexplained avenues. And I've had this joy and happiness in me I can't explain. I have a prayer request for my fast of course, but just everything else I didn't even ask for feels really good. I'm going to do this again really soon, it's fantastic. I recommend fasting to anyone who's going through a hard time, or wants to recharge their spiritual batteries. The bible does say that some issues can only be solved with fasting and prayer. Like my grandma says, "if you don't fast, you won't last!" :)

star

isioma85 said:
I'm on day 3 of my 3 day fast. I took a fast from all foods until 6pm, and I give myself a window from 6pm till midnight to eat. Then at midnight I do vigil prayers for an hour.

It has been absolutely wonderful. From day one, favor's been coming my way in unexplained avenues. And I've had this joy and happiness in me I can't explain. I have a prayer request for my fast of course, but just everything else I didn't even ask for feels really good. I'm going to do this again really soon, it's fantastic. I recommend fasting to anyone who's going through a hard time, or wants to recharge their spiritual batteries. The bible does say that some issues can only be solved with fasting and prayer. Like my grandma says, "if you don't fast, you won't last!" :)
Thanks for sharing this why I push fasting and praying as a lifestyle. We fast on forum as team and also many of team individually also. Yes, the favor of God follows the power fasting and praying. Keep up the good work.

pebbles

isioma85 said:

That is really great to hear, and I love your grandma's quote! :up:

msjazzy09

Thanks for bumping this again. I'm glad I was able to read it. I have had questions about fasting for a while now. I knwo that God is leading me in that direction.

That information was so helpful. Is there a name for the type of fasting that Muslims are currently observiing under Ramadan (sunrise to sunset)? My cousin's church (COGIC) had a group fast that was the same way. Just wondering?

star

msjazzy09 said:
Thanks for bumping this again. I'm glad I was able to read it. I have had questions about fasting for a while now. I knwo that God is leading me in that direction.

That information was so helpful. Is there a name for the type of fasting that Muslims are currently observiing under Ramadan (sunrise to sunset)? My cousin's church (COGIC) had a group fast that was the same way. Just wondering?
There is no special name it just fasting and praying. Muslims as well as Jews use the sunrise to sunset because it represents Israel time table and tradition. You can group and individual fasting and praying. Everyone should one-on-one with God with this and do group fasting and praying when you also.