University of Virginia Shooting

TrulyBlessed

I’m sure most of you have already heard about this tragedy by now. This is my alma mater and my nephew is currently a student. He had a class with a couple of the deceased victims. Sad that no matter how many times these tragedies happen, people with the power to make a difference pertaining to gun reform will turn a blind eye. Prayers up for everyone involved.

SoniT

Yes, I've been reading about this story. A young lady who was on the bus gave an interview to The Washington Post. It's so sad and senseless. Prayers and condolences to the families. :(

Edit: I just watched the video above and she says that "we have to forgive". Do you really at this point? I mean I know it sounds good to say but it's so soon.

TrulyBlessed

Yes, I've been reading about this story. A young lady who was on the bus gave an interview to The Washington Post. It's so sad and senseless. Prayers and condolences to the families. :(

Edit: I just watched the video above and she says that "we have to forgive". Do you really at this point? I mean I know it sounds good to say but it's so soon.

I don’t know why black people insist on spewing that :censored: so soon. Like it’s not even 24-48 hours and people be on the forgiveness train. I remember that happened immediately after the Charleston church shooting. Like c’mon now. It’s ok and not a sin to feel angry and abhorrent before moving towards the path of forgiveness.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
He has been planning something for a while. Two failed attempts to buy a gun (2018 and 2021). Finally successful in 2022. Alarming!!

From the article:

Suspect twice failed background checks while trying to buy guns​

Jones purchased two firearms from a sporting goods store in the Petersburg, Virginia, area earlier this year, but it remains unclear whether either of them was used in the shooting. The store owner said in an email to The Progress-Index, a member of the USA TODAY Network, that Jones tried to purchase weapons on two other occasions, once in 2018 and again last year. He failed both background checks and did not obtain the weapons.

Jones bought the firearms in separate purchases, said Marlon Dance, owner of Dance's Sporting Goods in Colonial Heights. According to Dance's records, Jones purchased a Ruger AR-556 rifle on Feb. 19 and a Glock pistol with an additional magazine on July 8. He passed both background checks.

Dance said Jones failed the background check trying to buy a handgun on Dec. 31, 2018, because he was under 21. Jones failed a check last year because he was facing a felony charge of failing to stop for an accident in which he was involved. Jones ultimately entered a plea of no contest to a charge of not reporting a traffic accident – a misdemeanor, so Jones was eligible to purchase guns in Virginia.

yamilee21

There are people saying the shooter said something like "yall are always messing with me." Before shooting them. As in the shooter was being bullied by them and retaliated.
I have been waiting to see if something like this would eventually be reported. It just seemed too targeted… I thought maybe the shooter had been hazed, or kicked off the team because of something related to his victims. Not that anything excuses murder; it just seems that there has to be some kind of motive, as these didn’t appear to be random shootings, like so many school shootings.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
So surprised there hasn’t been a motive mentioned yet. Watching College Game Day now and hearing about the three men who lost their lives and I wonder if plain jealousy was the motive. They were upstanding, accomplished and with multiple talents. They were living the life that the killer wanted.

The killer tried out of the football team a couple of years ago as a walk-on and couldn’t make the cut.
I have been waiting to see if something like this would eventually be reported. It just seemed too targeted… I thought maybe the shooter had been hazed, or kicked off the team because of something related to his victims. Not that anything excuses murder; it just seems that there has to be some kind of motive, as these didn’t appear to be random shootings, like so many school shootings.

Everything Zen

Tried to paste the whole story but the page keeps crashing. We really need more mental health services and support for people.