Unsalted butter on hair?

Mahalialee4

Jetblack...Get back...C'mon...a big ten four....
Bonjour

Mahalialee4

what a coincidence: this was just posted in the Vintage Hair Care before Sept 2005 thread. So are you thinking of trying this? I have tried it on several occasions and it really did give me soft fluffy hair. If my hair were to get really dry and brittle as it was feeling at the time...I would do it again. I did this for about 4 times ---that is three days in a row and an overnight. Be sure to get the real good European stuff or homemade butter if possible. If you try it let us know what you think. Bonjour.

Candygirl

Candygirl
I'm shocked to hear some of you guys saying that ghee butter smells bad. I've used this butter for awhile now and it always smelled like fresh baked cookies or cake. I really love the aroma from the jar and when I cook with it it aromatizes the whole house. I've even had neighbors drop by to ask what was it that I was cooking that smelled so good.Different strokes for different folks I guess

Queenie

I've been doing this 1-2x/wk for the last 3 months. It works really well. :yep: I only need a little bit. If I use a lot, I can smell it the next day.

Lovelylocs

Candygirl said:
I'm shocked to hear some of you guys saying that ghee butter smells bad. I've used this butter for awhile now and it always smelled like fresh baked cookies or cake. I really love the aroma from the jar and when I cook with it it aromatizes the whole house. I've even had neighbors drop by to ask what was it that I was cooking that smelled so good.Different strokes for different folks I guess
what brand do u use?

hotshot

Lovelylocs said:
what brand do u use?
ive been interested in cooking with ghee. now im excited. i love products that can be used for more than one thing.

ive found in general dairy products such as milk, yogurt and eggs are all very good for the hair (and face.) im going to experiment with kefir as well.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I think is a good one, if it stops breakage and softens/conditions the hair, this could be a family staple. and a whole lot cheaper than that nexxus emergencee,LOL, I think I will buy is because cooking it down for a whole hour, I'm afraid I may burn it,LOL.

MeccaMedinah

I'm not sure if anyone posted this

How to make Ghee At Home?

Ingredients:
Pure unsalted Butter (not margarine)

Procedure:

1. Heat butter in a saucepan in high-medium heat until it boils or bubbles.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered until butter turns to a clear golden color. (Butter usually begins to boils with lots of bubbles. When it is done, it will have foams on top of it indicating that ghee is nearly done.)
  3. Cool it and store it in dry container. Use ghee in you regular cooking.

tryn2growmyhair

I used a Cameroonian treatment called buerre bergere once and it was amazing. It made my hair feel SO good. Unfortunately, I could not find it again, but I think that it is similar to this.

Question for you all. Are some of you using this as a daily hairdressing? Or are you using every night and then washing it out every day? :eek: I'd love to know.
Thanks.

Queenie

tryn2growmyhair said:
I used a Cameroonian treatment called buerre bergere once and it was amazing. It made my hair feel SO good. Unfortunately, I could not find it again, but I think that it is similar to this.

Question for you all. Are some of you using this as a daily hairdressing? Or are you using every night and then washing it out every day? :eek: I'd love to know.
Thanks.

I put it on at night and cond wash it out in the morning.

aileendq

Okay, I read this thread late yesterday. Last night I happened (no, seriously!) to pass an indian food store. I went in and bought "cow ghee". It smells like butter. As if you were having lobster and melted some then skimmed the stuff off the top. I opened the jar to take a whiff, and got some on my hands. I put the stuff that got on my hands on the ends of my hair.

Guess what? My hair smells like freakin' popcorn! I think I will mix it with my shea butter oil and avocado oil. some vanilla fragrance oil and call it a prepoo treatment. No way am I using it as a a leave in, even for my ends......

I can see that it would be yummy for cooking, though!

Am I using the wrong stuff?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
aileendq said:
Okay, I read this thread late yesterday. Last night I happened (no, seriously!) to pass an indian food store. I went in and bought "cow ghee". It smells like butter. As if you were having lobster and melted some then skimmed the stuff off the top. I opened the jar to take a whiff, and got some on my hands. I put the stuff that got on my hands on the ends of my hair.

Guess what? My hair smells like freakin' popcorn! I think I will mix it with my shea butter oil and avocado oil. some vanilla fragrance oil and call it a prepoo treatment. No way am I using it as a a leave in, even for my ends......

I can see that it would be yummy for cooking, though!

Am I using the wrong stuff?

:nono:
I had exactly the same situation, I was at Whole Foods and picked up a container of Ghee. I put a heaping tablespoon in my hair and put on a plastic cap. After 10 minutes I had oil running down my face and my hair felt weird (kind of stiff). I had to clarify to get that $hit out of my hair and later go out and get some Drano to clear the butter out of my shower drain.

I have no idea how people sleep with this on their head. And it does smell like popcorn.

From now on, Ghee is for cooking.

Mitre

I tried putting the unsalted butter in my hair yesterday. Firstly I place the butter into my hair in sections then I sat with the heat cap for 1 hour on medium. After I wash it out and it was heaven so soft and moisturize. WOW :grin:. Then I applied the vo5 condition and did a cw then I deep condition. From now on I think butter is my new hot oil treatment.

bee

It's been a while since this was first posted. Is anyone still doing this? If so, how often and how has it benefitted your hair?

Queenie

I haven't done it since Oct. I plan to resume it when it's warm enough to do my wash'n go's again.

kitchen_tician

I just bought some ghee today from Whole Foods, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll try it next week for my next wash. It's in a glass jar in a solid form. It smells like buttered popcorn. It's Purity Farms 100% Organic Ghee www.purityfarms.com

HairPhoenix

ms_kenesha said:
In a book I was reading that occurred in the 1800s a black guy used fresh butter on his hair for managibility.

My curiosity wheels are turning... :brainy: I am wondering if African Americans originally used butter as a substitute for the Ghee butter after they were brought to America... and then started using substitutes that were easier to come by like fats, lard, and grease... and then people started mixing other less organic ingredients to make hair grease... then, as with most manufacturing processes, they found cheaper and more readily available ingredients to mass produce product; which may explain why so many hair greases have so many unnatural ingredients... and nowadays we realize that the more natural the ingredients are, the better... so we have come full circle back to Ghee butter. :lol:

I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm wondering if that's how the process went... hmmm...

kitchen_tician

HairPhoenix said:
My curiosity wheels are turning... :brainy: I am wondering if African Americans originally used butter as a substitute for the Ghee butter after they were brought to America... and then started using substitutes that were easier to come by like fats, lard, and grease... and then people started mixing other less organic ingredients to make hair grease... then, as with most manufacturing processes, they found cheaper and more readily available ingredients to mass produce product; which may explain why so many hair greases have so many unnatural ingredients... and nowadays we realize that the more natural the ingredients are, the better... so we have come full circle back to Ghee butter. :lol:

I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm wondering if that's how the process went... hmmm...

Girl, those wheels are turning! :bookworm: You've given us an entire Black History lesson for the month of February. :lol: Sounds good though. I think I'll run with it. :grin:

secretdiamond

kitchen_tician said:
Girl, those wheels are turning! :bookworm: You've given us an entire Black History lesson for the month of February. :lol: Sounds good though. I think I'll run with it. :grin:

:lol: So true!!! :up:

Cinnabuns

Hmmm...how could I have missed this thread? Anyhow, I'm gonna have to try this one day. I will post my results sometime next week. :)

HairPhoenix

kitchen_tician said:

Hahahaha!! :lol: I'm telling you, I was on a roll! :grin:

And of course you found the Ghee at Whole Foods... grrrrrr!! :mad: There isn't one near me ! :whyme::crying3:
But that's alright... I'll just check out Trader Joe's or just get unsalted butter. :lol:

Blaque*Angel

*RUNNING TO THE INDIAN STORE*

Seriously though, has anyone got any result pics? i keep reading these "hair growth threads" but NO pics/proof...

:ohwell:

kitchen_tician

wantlonghealthyhair said:
*RUNNING TO THE INDIAN STORE*

Seriously though, has anyone got any result pics? i keep reading these "hair growth threads" but NO pics/proof...

:ohwell:

I haven't tried mine yet, but I think people are saying that it promotes healthier hair NOT hair growth. I think it would serve as a conditioning treatment. :)