Unsalted butter on hair?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I bought some about 2 wks ago from an Indian grocery store, but I didn't get the cow ghee, I purchased the Pure Butter Ghee by Royal Cuisine, Is there a difference in the 2?

czyfaith77

CICI24 said:
Yes its called Ghee clarified butter. my friend from Cameron also uses this I think they use this all over Africa. My friend told me it was good for hair growth but it stinks. I tried a while ago its okay I was to impatient to wait and see the results it is high in protein also.

CICI

That makes since to me as far as a substitute. I have a rice recipe that requires Ghee and the recipe states That if Ghee is not found use butter.

kitchen_tician

HairPhoenix said:
My curiosity wheels are turning... :brainy: I am wondering if African Americans originally used butter as a substitute for the Ghee butter after they were brought to America... and then started using substitutes that were easier to come by like fats, lard, and grease... and then people started mixing other less organic ingredients to make hair grease... then, as with most manufacturing processes, they found cheaper and more readily available ingredients to mass produce product; which may explain why so many hair greases have so many unnatural ingredients... and nowadays we realize that the more natural the ingredients are, the better... so we have come full circle back to Ghee butter. :lol:

I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm wondering if that's how the process went... hmmm...

HairPhoenix: I think this helps support your theory. :) I just applied some ghee and I have on my plastic cap.

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0510/feature2/learn.html

Did You Know?
You probably didn't know that Afar men dress their hair with clarified butter. The butter, known as ghee, conditions their hair and protects it from the sun's brutal rays. Afar men's hair is often worn teased out in large Afro-style hairdos, or else woven into tight curls and liberally applied with ghee. Women wear their hair carefully combed and arranged in a series of shiny hanging ringlets.

HairPhoenix

kitchen_tician said:
HairPhoenix: I think this helps support your theory. :) I just applied some ghee and I have on my plastic cap.

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0510/feature2/learn.html

Did You Know?
You probably didn't know that Afar men dress their hair with clarified butter. The butter, known as ghee, conditions their hair and protects it from the sun's brutal rays. Afar men's hair is often worn teased out in large Afro-style hairdos, or else woven into tight curls and liberally applied with ghee. Women wear their hair carefully combed and arranged in a series of shiny hanging ringlets.

Thanks kitchen_tician! :wave: I love finding interesting facts like this. I was just talking to my mom about this yesterday. Now I need to search for a pic of the Afar women's ringlets.

BTW: Your fotki is impressive. Gorgeous hair! :love:

meia

for those who cant make it to the store, you can make ghee yourself..it takes a little bit but its cheaper overall and can be made anytime you need it..except there are different various ways to make it and you can improvise wherever necessary

How to make Ghee (clarified butter) at home

Ingredients:
unsalted butter 1 pound

Method:
Melt the butter over low heat gradually in the heavy-bottomed deep pot. Do not stir.
Over low heat, cook the melted butter until it is a clear golden liquid. It may form some foam on top.
Golden or light brown milk solids will form and settle at the bottom of pot.
Remove from heat while the liquid is a clear gold.
Line the sieve with the 4 sheets of cheesecloth and place over the clean dry pot. While still hot, carefully strain the ghee using the cheesecloth lined sieve into a clean, dry pot.
Transfer the strained ghee carefully into the clean jar and shut tightly.

Tips:
You can use muslin cloth , coffe filter instead of cheese cloth.
At room temperature Ghee will look semi-solid. Ghee does not need to be refrigerated.
Always use a clean utensil to scoop out ghee for use.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I used it last week, the smell made me feel nauseated, I won't apply it on an empty stomach again, maybe right after dinner instead of right before bed. Anyway, it worked like a pree poo to me, nothing extravagant, but then again my hair has gotten to an ultimate soft silkyness or something. I will do this on a regular until it's gone, and I didn't have a problem with washing out the smell. It was only $5.99 at the Indian grocery store much cheaper than Wholefoods.

clever

Thanks for bumping this.I have been wondering about ghee since I read about it on an old beauty board.I think I'll pick some up.

dejalove26

There is a difference between cow ghee and ayurvedic ghee(sorry so long):

GHEE - SOME MISCONCEPTS

Most prevalent misconcepts about Ghee are:

1. It increases fat
2. It thickens blood and increases cholesterol.

So, it is bad for obese people and heart patients.

These misconcepts are true for Ghee made as per Dairy process. They are
not true for ghee made as per process described in Ayurved.

Differences between Dairy Ghee and Ghee as per Ayurvedic process :-

The difference is in the processing and therefore in its effect on the body.
Though, the laboratory test will also show both are same and have
saturated fatty acids.

Dairy Ghee is prepared from cream separated by the use of cream
separator machines from cold milk.

The process of dairy industry is the gift of modernization. It was not a prevalent
practice in early days as the process of making ghee in Ayurved is completely
different.

For those who don’t know how to make ghee in the house as per Ayurved:

Process

Don’t ever use the shortcut of heating cream directly. Ghee needs to be prepared by the following complete process.

- Remove cream gathered on the top of boiled milk.
- Collect it in refrigerator for 4 – 6 days. If kept outside, further processing should be done daily.
- Mix 1 or 2 teaspoons of curd in collected cream and leave it overnight (6 – 8 hours)
- Put enough quantity of water and churn it with the help of blender.
- Butter starts getting separated from the buttermilk.
- Collect the butter and heat it in a pan.
- Initially, it melts and becomes white liquid.
- Start boiling.
- Stir it in between.
- Slowly, it starts becoming transparent and a residue starts separating.
- Heat it till that residue becomes golden yellow in colour.
- Let it cool down a bit.
- Strain the ghee out from the residue.

This ghee if prepared properly and stored, does not get spoiled.

As it becomes older, it is more beneficial for the body.

Role of Ghee in human body as per Ayurved :

Caution: - Whatever effects are described below are true for the
ghee made by process described earlier, not for Diary Ghee.

As per Ayurved, ghee is the best of all fatty items.

It has following effects on human body:

1. It is intoxicant helps to remove toxins from body and thus, purifies blood.
2. It is the best “Rasayana” i.e. it helps to increase-resistance/immunity – vitality
.. and strength. It also helps for rejuvenation and longetivity.
3. It is good for eyes and brain. It helps to improve intelligence and memory.
4. It is good for digestion. It also helps to subside burning.
5. It is good for skin, joints and body tissues. So
- It makes body soft and supple.
- It improves complexion.
- It provides necessary lubricant to joints and surrounding soft tissues, thereby reducing
. the incidence of Arthritis.
6. It is good for vocal cords. It improves voice.

. From our clinical experience, we have not seen any benefits clinically by stopping ghee.

In fact, deprivation form ghee has given rise to many new problems. Ghee if taken sensibly,
In plain from as part of diet causes wonders in the body.

..The reason why our ancestors / forefathers were

- Strong in built and strength,
- Much more intelligent,
- Had good memory even in old age,
- No spectacles / bad eyesight in young age,
- Black hair

Was not only pure air, good food and physical work. But it was due to consumption of ghee as well.

Averoigne

I'm intrigued. My question is (for the terminally time challenged among us): would there be any major detriment or lack of benefit to the hair if one chose to use the unsalted butter in its whole form in lieu of the clarified version?

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Revived ghee thread. I'm not sure what post #71 was talking about but ghee is just oil extracted through heat from cow's butter. I don't know of another type of cow butter. Shrugs???

Here's what another ayurveda site says about it:

http://www.shudhghee.com/ayurveda_says.htm
WHAT AYURVEDA SAYS ABOUT GHEE

Ghee is clarified butter, and is the pure oil content of butter. Ayurveda says that it is very good for us, and is a good oil for frying in. It can also be added to melt onto the food on your plate as a condiment. Ghee is commonly available in tins in supermarkets, but it is also easily made. Ghee keeps very well for many months in the refrigerator and can even be kept for shorter periods without refrigeration. Ghee lends a sweeter and more delicate flavour to food than other oils.

The Ghee was commonly known as ghritam in vedic period. In ancient period, people were using ghee for various purposes - as food product and also as therapeutic aspect, unfortunately today people are not having this therapeutic knowledge of this gift of nature and on the other hand due to improper knowledge people are having fear and myths for its consumption. Ghee is a yellowish white fatty substance, obtained from the milk of mammals. Ayurveda considers Milk of eight kind of mammals safe for human beings, viz, cow, buffalo, goat, sheep, camel, elephant, mare and woman. Ghee can be prepared from this eight kind of milk are also safe for human. In normal condition, cow’s milk ghee is considered to be the best for human consumption.

Ayurveda considers ghee as madhur rasa with Vata and Pitta dosha pacifying qualities. It is good for growth of the all seven dhatus in the body (body fluids, blood, flesh, fat, bones, marrow and semen). It is best suited to people of every age, children, young and old alike. Ghee makes all sensory organs more efficient. It also enhance the growth of hair, formation of bones (rejoins broken bonesin injury), growth of hair and improves skin complexion. It is made of all five elements – pruthvi, jala, agni, vayu and aakash, which are basic elements of the life.

Different scholars of Ayurveda has described various uses and benefits from the Ghee. Maharshi Charak says ghee is stimulates appetite. It balances Vata and Pitta dosha, reduces poison in the body, increases memory and intelligence. Ghee is considered as the best among all fat substances and thousands of formulas for medicated ghee are described in Charak Samhita for the treatment of various illness.

Acharya Sushruta says ghee is sweet, soft, gentle and beneficial to the body in general. It increases jatharagni in the body, but it is also heavy to digest. In addition to Charaka’s comments, he suggest ghee for complexion, beauty and glow. Acharya Vagbhatta describes its healing properties and special benefits in the cases of burns and weapon wounds.

There are four kinds of fat described in Ayurveda; Ghee, oil, Vasa (fat from animals) and bone marrow. Ghee is considered as the best among all fats, due to its characteristics to absorb all the medicinal properties of the herbs with which it is fortified, without loosing its own qualities. It is heard that only cow's milk ghee can increase HDL (that is harmless to the body), all other types of fat normally increase LDL more. Ayurveda describes Ghee as antiseptic, antibiotic and best preservative. There is no need for any other preservative for Ghee.

In Panchkarma treatments – a specialized branch of treatment in Ayurveda, there is one ‘Snehana’ therapy. Under this therapy fats are normally used for therapeutic aspects. External applications and internal uses of different kind of fat are described here. Medicated or plain (pure) ghee is used here according to disease or the condition of the person. Ghee is used here to support - the treatments of diseases, the rejuvenative treatments (rasayana) or the aphrodisiac treatments (vajikaran). Ghee can be used for treatments like – abhyang – massage, Ak****arpan (treatment for eys), Gandush (Gargle – full mouth filled with ghee), Pichu – ghee swab application etc. Internally it can be recommended for 3 to 7 days in increasing doses. The dose can be up to 10 ml to 150 ml per day, according to disease or person’s condition of the body.

vkb247

You know the first time I tried a caramel treatment I loved it so much and it gave my hair the moisture I had been searching for after several months of it being drier than I like (I don't like to moisturise everyday). When I tried it again it was good but not great. The difference? Ghee. I used it instead of shea butter in my first recipe. I think I need to revisit this product, i think it is what I have been missing.

diva24

I started using this in place of butter for cooking. I even eat it on my toast. I need to buy more so I can use some for my hair. I have toast crumbs in my jar now LOL

La Colocha

Do you keep this in the fridge like regular butter. It sounds like something really good to add herbs and stuff to :scratchch.

labellenoire

Yes, the product you are talking about is Ghee and boy is it stinky. But it works like a charm. When I was younger, I lived very close to the Fulani ethnic group (they are spread over many countries, but predominantly in West Africa) and they use it on their hair. I swear the women have got gorgeous thick hair *drools*. They used to offer it to my mum to use on our hair, but it was so stinky, we just used it to cook rice (yum yum...so tasty). LOL

If you really want to get the good unprocessed stuff that they make themselves, get yourself a friend from West Africa who visits regularly and have him/her buy it from a local market for you!

freecurl

Sounds interesting. I made ghee a few months ago. As I was looking into ayurveda hair care, it led me to finding out my dosha, which is Vata (I know, confusing right). It stated that ghee in my foods would be especially good for me. I made a great sweet potato chicken curry with this. Well anywho, it also mentioned that ghee was good for skin and hair, but I never tried it. Maybe I will now.

hothair

Yes, the product you are talking about is Ghee and boy is it stinky. But it works like a charm. When I was younger, I lived very close to the Fulani ethnic group (they are spread over many countries, but predominantly in West Africa) and they use it on their hair. I swear the women have got gorgeous thick hair *drools*. They used to offer it to my mum to use on our hair, but it was so stinky, we just used it to cook rice (yum yum...so tasty). LOL

If you really want to get the good unprocessed stuff that they make themselves, get yourself a friend from West Africa who visits regularly and have him/her buy it from a local market for you!

Exactly! We call it Mai Shanu (oil of cow) and I have family members that swear by it. Sure is stinky though- for me. But may revisit as a hot oil treatment

labellenoire

Exactly! We call it Mai Shanu (oil of cow) and I have family members that swear by it. Sure is stinky though- for me. But may revisit as a hot oil treatment

Sorry to jack the thread, but do you speak Hausa???? If so, wooohooo! Perhaps the first LHCFer who does!

Guitarhero

Yes, there are even other threads on it. It's an old East African conditioning technique. But, they wash it out daily. Maybe you could try it on the weekends and use a scented ghee (clarify it then add essential oil to it) for light application during the week?

Last edited:

EllePixie

Bumping! Anyone still using ghee? I was reading about it the other day and picked some up from my health food store.