URGENT Crochet Question

davisbr88

Hi, ladies!
I am planning to install crochets tomorrow and had a question for those who have done them. How in the world do you prevent parting the hair and seeing where the crochet hair is interlocked into the cornrow? I notice that a lot of people are wearing their hair parted in the middle and am wondering how the cornrow is hidden. Are people using the invisible part method? I was going to leave the top of my hair out, but I slept in the crimper rollers last night to blend my hair with the deep wave hair I got but I realized it is NOT going to work! Does anyone have any suggestions? I just don't understand how people are wearing their hair parted without the cornrow being seen. I hope this makes sense.

afrikurl

I think it's the volume of the hair that covers it. Like if you wear an afro, you don't see the person's scalp. Fluff the hair and your parts shouldn't show.

BlackMasterPiece

You make sure that when you loop the hair around the cornrow the loop is facing downwards and that the knot is only tied once to prevent it from being overly bulky and easily detectable. I also tend to make the pieces thinner toward the hairline to give it a natural graduated thickness. Also the pattern of the cornrows makes a difference as well. Using curly hair really makes this look more natural too.

Here are some pix of the partings on me and my moms crochet braids.

My mom.

Me

davisbr88

Thanks for all of your responses, ladies! I think that I am just being difficult because I really want a part down the middle of my hair and since I am getting wavy hair, I was trying to go for a Kelly Rowland type style where it's kind of flat at the part and then deep waves. I probably picked the wrong technique for weaving for this but I'm not messing with glue or sew-ins and I don't want to wear a half wig because I am graduating in a week and don't want that to be the day it's EXTRA windy and I'm looking all kinds of crazy. I know it would take a lot of wind, but I really just want the crochets (also, they lay flatter than a wig so that's another reason why). I have been looking at vids on the sew-in invisible part, so I was thinking to myself, why can't I do that with crochets? I am going to try it tomorrow and will give you guys an update. If it works, I'll be boosted!

lol...I reread the question and realized it wasn't what u were looking for so I deleted it...sorry..lol...
Ohhhh... I see! Lol. It's all good.

Ive never
heard of this before, what type of hair do you use
I'm not sure of the other ladies, but I purchased Freetress Bulk Deep Wave so that's what I am going to be using. Type in "crochet hair weave" or "crochet braid weave" into Youtube. That's where I first saw it, and there are great tutorials on there.

pookaloo83

You make sure that when you loop the hair around the cornrow the loop is facing downwards and that the knot is only tied once to prevent it from being overly bulky and easily detectable. I also tend to make the pieces thinner toward the hairline to give it a natural graduated thickness. Also the pattern of the cornrows makes a difference as well. Using curly hair really makes this look more natural too.

Here are some pix of the partings on me and my moms crochet braids.

My mom.

Me

Really cute. How long did you keep those in?

since you are using wavy hair i dont see the need to leave any hair out. might get messy after awhile. with curly or wavy hair since you loop and tie it tends to just look curly at the root (undetectable ). i was always moving my daughters parts around.

BlackMasterPiece

your hair is your glory your baby is absolutely adorable!:love3:

Pookaloo the set I did on my mom she kept in for 5 weeks and loved it...she even rinsed her roots brown with them in:blush:. The first set I did on myself I kept in for 5 weeks then the second set I did I kept in for a month:yep:

Thanks for this info BlackMasterPiece. I tried putting in crochet braids the other day, but the knot would not stay. :wallbash: I had my loop facing upward. I will attempt to put them in again. :crossfingers:

Your crochet braids are beautiful.

ajoke

since you are using wavy hair i dont see the need to leave any hair out. might get messy after awhile. with curly or wavy hair since you loop and tie it tends to just look curly at the root (undetectable ). i was always moving my daughters parts around.

Lovely! What type of hair did you use?

davisbr88

So I went to put the crochets in yesterday and I just got so frustrated because the knots I was putting in weren't staying. I ended up straightening my hair instead (I know, I know... I'm supposed to be on a majority no-heat transition and wasn't supposed to use heat again until August at the one-year mark but I wanted my hair straight for graduation next week, and to see the progress I've made since yesterday was the halfway mark of my transition...:spank:) Ah well... the last time I used heat was in January, and I probably still will straighten in August for the first week of grad school but I don't plan on doing it again until after I BC in January (and I doubt I will use much heat after it as well... I love my curls!)
Anyway, I really need a more explicit tutorial on crochets because I want to wear them this summer. I don't get how to secure them. Everytime I added more hair to the cornrow, the hair that was already knotted started coming loose. None of them fell out or anything but I just couldn't see how loose knots would last through my wild sleeping and weekly washing, etc. I may just put a sew-in in my hair and call it a day now that I somewhat know how to cornrow.