Use 1 Buy 1 Challenge 2009

Shay72

Natural, 4A
How many weeks post are you? I get pixie knots(single strand sometimes). How big was the knot? This is one of the frustrations that alot of naturals have, especially with coily or curly hair.

It was a decent sized knot. I will be 3 months post this week. I mean I did a 6 month stretch and never got any knots. I have noticed my ends are getting tangled up a bit more. I'm thinking I cut back on the manipulation right on time. Also I think I nearly have 2 inches of new growth when normally I would have about 1.5 right now. I will check back in with ya'll later. I gotta go lead a brief little training then I will be home doing my hair. TTYL :yep:.

La Colocha

It was a decent sized knot. I will be 3 months post this week. I mean I did a 6 month stretch and never got any knots. I have noticed my ends are getting tangled up a bit more. I'm thinking I cut back on the manipulation right on time. Also I think I nearly have 2 inches of new growth when normally I would have about 1.5 right now. I will check back in with ya'll later. I gotta go lead a brief little training then I will be home doing my hair. TTYL :yep:.

How do you dry your hair? Maybe you could do plaits or braids when drying. That helps me keep the knots and tangles at bay. And low manipulation. I hope you figure out what the problem is.:yep:

Eta: i just saw your above post. yes drying in braids. plaits or if you know how to cornrow would be helpful. You don't need many.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
This is probably little to no help but.....:look:

My 1st Stretch 14 weeks, I experienced a lot of knots & tangles.

Personally, I don't think I was detangling (combing/brushing) often enough, moisturizing enough etc...(And I thought I was).:perplexed

This last one at 16 weeks, I noticed my knots & tangles weren't "as bad" I baggy-ed more, I finger detangled/combed more often and I kept my moisture up to the maxx! Which I thought I had done the 1st time (14 weeks).

This last stretch for some reason didn't seem quite as bad/dry? And the knots & tangles were minimized.:yep:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I will get on top of this:
Will baggy more
Will airdry in plaits
Will do everything in sections
I need to stop faking with the jilbere shower comb and use this fake K cutter comb

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Thank you so much ladies :yep:! I really like how all of you just jumped right in with suggestions. It is truly appreciated. The further I get into this transition the more I know I will be leaning on you :grouphug:. Thanks again.

Last edited:

La Colocha

Will baggy more
Will airdry in plaits
I need to stop faking with the jilbere shower comb and use this fake K cutter comb

Shay, do you air dry in a bun? If you do to make it easier you can, twist or plait your pony tail, then in the morning you can take them down and tuck your ends.

chebaby

@Shay, when i was relaxed and i transitioned for 11 months i did what colocha said above. i would co wash as often as i wanted and then while my hair was wet i would apply my leave in and some cocasta oil(because its thick and moisturizing) and then put my hair in one braid at the back of my head and then pin it up. my hair could stay moisturized for days like that. and i would tie on a scarf just to suck some of the water out and to slick it back.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Shay, do you air dry in a bun? If you do to make it easier you can, twist or plait your pony tail, then in the morning you can take them down and tuck your ends.

I do airdry in a bun. That's a great idea. Thanks! My other stretches were easy--4 months and 6 months...Then I decide to transition and :nono:. I'm in it for the long haul though.

Aggie

Why did I just find a knot at the end of my hair? I am so not happy with my hair right now, really. I'm starting to think trying all these products is jacking my hair up. I'm not ordering or trying anything new. That's it. I will go through what I have and make decisions but that's it. I have some stuff on the way but it's from vendors I know except Claudie's. I'm paranoid about my edges so I will still use that.

I am so sorry this is happening to you Shay. I think this is one of the reasons why I decided to make a definitive move on which products I will continue to use no matter what else new comes out.

It would have to be a product that has a proven record in 100% of the case studies it was used on to grow hair at least an inch and a half or more a month (on ethnic 4a/b/z hair) for me to buy it now. Is that specific enough you think?

I have drastically reduced the frequency of washing my hair as well because I honestly feel as though it was counter-productive washing and DCing fine, relaxed hair so often.

I guess this is one reason why I am not going through my products so quickly anymore and therefore I don't have to replenish them so quickly anymore either.

I truly hope and pray you find what is causing the knots and is able to fix it too. HHG honey.

Last edited:

Aggie

Will baggy more
Will airdry in plaits

The bolded has definitely been working for me but I wash and DC in 4-6 big braids as well. They have been heaven-sent practices in my hair regimen. I noticed that the longer I stretched my relaxer, the stronger the need became to detangle, wash and DC in sections as well.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am so sorry this is happening to you Shay. I think this is one of the reasons why I decided to make a definitive move on which products I will continue to use no matter what else new comes out.

It would have to be a product that has a proven record in 100% of the case studies it was used on to grow hair at least an inch and a half or more a month (on ethnic 4a/b/z hair) for me to buy it now. Is that specific enough you think?

I have drastically reduced the frequency of washing my hair as well because I honestly feel as though it was counter-productive washing and DCing fine, relaxed hair so often.

I guess this is one reason why I am not going through my products so quickly anymore and therefore I don't have to replenish them so quickly anymore either.

I truly hope nad pray you find what is causing the knots and is able to fix it too. HHG honey.

Great Post Aggie!:grin:

We all have to constantly re-evaluate Our Product Choices,Techniques, Tools & Regimens.

I have Found it to be a Constant Process of Evaluating and Re-Evaluating. And being Flexible when Your Hair Dictates something else (in order to thrive).

We have to continue to research our product selections carefully.

Very Inspiring Post. Thanks:yep:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Aggie, and again all of you, thank you for your well thought out and sincere suggestions & responses. I've said this before--you can definately prevent a setback by really tackling the problem head on and that is what I will do.

Aggie

I also need to add that today I FINALLY got my Dudley's DRC 28 Hair Treatment & Fortifier:yay:. I am so excied about this because of all the great reviews by gymfreak.

I am so hoping that it's better than Aphogee 2 Step treatment for damaged hair:crossfingers:. My hair really hated that treatment:barf:.

Last edited:

Aggie

Great Post Aggie!:grin:

We all have to constantly re-evaluate Our Product Choices,Techniques, Tools & Regimens.

I have Found it to be a Constant Process of Evaluating and Re-Evaluating. And being Flexible when Your Hair Dictates something else (in order to thrive).

We have to continue to research our product selections carefully.

Very Inspiring Post. Thanks:yep:

You're welcomed Terri. I entirely agree with the bolded and that is why I bought the steamer. It helps that your reviews of it was so compelling and I knew that the changing needs of my hair so deep into my relaxer stretch demands the frequent use of one. I cannot thank you enough for that.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I also need to add that today I FINALLY got my Dudley's DRC 28 Hair Treatment & Fortifier:yay:. I am so excied about this because of all the freat reviews by gymfreak.

BROWNIE 518: This is the Dudley Product I was talking about. As far as a Good Protein Treatment.:grin:

AGGIE: Thanks for Jogging My Brain!:grin: btw: when will your Steamer Arrive? Or Has it Arrived Already:look:

Aggie

BROWNIE 518: This is the Dudley Product I was talking about. As far as a Good Protein Treatment.:grin:

AGGIE: Thanks for Jogging My Brain!:grin: btw: when will your Steamer Arrive? Or Has it Arrived Already:look:

Girl Terri, believe it or not, IT IS HERE:grin:!!! I have not set it up yet because I am still wearing my synthetic extension braids and have no idea how the braids will handle the steamer. I don't use the regular dryer on them either because I think it will make them look a little frazzled wayyy too quickly.

But when I take these braids down, a date with my steamer is on...:grin:.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Girl Terri, believe it or not, IT IS HERE:grin:!!! I have not set it up yet because I am still wearing my synthetic extension braids and have no idea how the braids will handle the steamer. I don't use the regular dryer on them either because I think it will make them look a little frazzled wayyy too quickly.

But when I take these braids down, a date with my steamer is on...:grin:.

Oooo!!!!:lick: Use something Nice & Thick & Rich! It is sooooo relaxing and sooooo addictive. I Can't Wait Until You Use It!:grin:

WOW-WEE-ZEE!:blush: It feels Good.

chebaby

i got about 5 compliments today on my cornrows. its just 7 cornrows going straight back but they say they like it lol. good because i plan on having some sort of braids and twists this winter.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
i got about 5 compliments today on my cornrows. its just 7 cornrows going straight back but they say they like it lol. good because i plan on having some sort of braids and twists this winter.

Yeah, For those of Us that Live in the Colder Climate Areas, we really need to be Upping Our Game Plan, as it is starting to get "colder" already.
PS, The Butters, The HOTS, the DC's.:yep:

Okay......Where did Summer Go?:rolleyes:

Anyway: I will be All Over the HOTS This Weekend.:yep:

As the Temperature continues to "Dip" I can no longer afford to forget this Step in my Regimen.:nono:

La Colocha

Yeah, For those of Us that Live in the Colder Climate Areas, we really need to be Upping Our Game Plan, as it is starting to get "colder" already.

As the Temperature continues to "Dip" I can no longer afford to forget this Step in my Regimen.:nono:

Yes, is anyone else experiencing freezing weather? Me and t are like this:cold:. Its supposed to be like this for me in the midwest for a while. They are predicting an early winter. My goals are to keep my moisture high. Do at least 2 dc's a week. Keep my hair covered when going outside. And as far as products go my stint ends on friday. Until april of next year. if you ladies see me slipping call me out. I want to stick to my goals:yep:.

chebaby

yea it was pretty nice in dc but im cold now lol. i hope my hair doesnt dry out while its in braids. i slathered my hair in shea butter, then cocasta oil and then i slathered each braid in shea butter while i was braiding. my hair should stay soft right? i hope so.

La Colocha

It looks like i need to move to the east coast. I always wanted to live in maine.

@che, keep up your routine and im sure your braids will be fine. Are you using any braid spray or a spray?

chebaby

i will be spraying my hair nightly with ojon revitalizing spray. i love that stuff and im almost out. when i do run out i will use oyin J&B and grag juice. but it has glycerine so when it gets really cold i will have to buy another bottle of ojon.

Aggie

Terri, do you think that HOTs will be good done with the steamer?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Terri, do you think that HOTs will be good done with the steamer?

You Know Aggie: The Instructions also had "Hair Oiling" Listed in them. But I am not too familiar what "Hair Oiling" is Exactly, so I've stuck to just DC'ing.:look:

I do use my Heat Cap for my HOTS.:yep:

And I have a couple "inexpensive" cholestrol & mayo treatments, I may add oil to those as well and do HOTS that way to use those up.:yep: