Using Heat Safely/TURNING UP THE HEAT with…

texasqt

Using Heat Safely/TURNING UP THE HEAT with...

Well, G. Garvin (the chef) probably won't be visiting LHCF any time soon (I even think he's bald), so we have to settle for just me! I've searched high and low for a thread on this and I could not find one, so I decided to create one since a lot of us use heat more than we'd probably want to admit.

In your response, please answer the following 3 questions:
1. How often do you use heat?
2. What’s your heat regimen/what appliances do you use and how?
3. What products do you use/recommend?

Now first, the purpose of this thread is not to promote the use of heat in any way (we do what works best for our individual hair). The purpose of this thread is to discuss the proper way to utilize direct heat that's whether you use it once a year or twice a week.

Secondly, my disclaimer is that I do not have a PhD in hair care. I am only sharing what I know from experience and likewise, I hope that you will share your experiences about using direct heat (i.e. blow dryers, curlers, flat irons, hot combs).

With those things said, let us move forward!

Before using any type of heat, your hair should always be freshly washed and deep conditioned. Never apply heat of any kind to dirty hair or hair with many products applied to it. More will be included on what you should and should not apply to your hair below.

Direct heat is involving the use of blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, and hot combs. These are the most common heat appliances that come in direct contact with the hair. A hood dryer is not considered a direct heat appliance and is probably the safest heat appliance available. But for heat's sake, let's start with hood dryers.

HOOD DRYERS
Great for deep conditioning, special treatments, drying hair, and wet/roller sets. There are several types available from hard hats to soft bonnets and from regular heat to steam to ionic. None that I can think of have been reported to cause damage to the hair. (Please correct me if I’m wrong). Ionic dryers claim to have healthier benefits such as sealing the cuticle for smoother hair. If you are drying your hair or roller setting with a hood dryer, you may find it beneficial to moisturize and seal with an oil prior to. In addition, even though you are not using direct heat, it does not hurt to add a heat protector prior to as well. If you must use heat, roller setting is believed to be the best route to maintaining healthy hair.

But for those of us who love direct heat let's move on to the nitty gritty!
It is highly recommended that you limit your direct heat usage to one appliance. In other words, you should not blow dry and then flat iron (if you can help it). Air-drying and flat ironing helps to minimize your heat usage and most times, you can achieve the same results. In order to do so, you may have to modify the products you are using prior to. Products such as Redkens Smooth Down or John Frieda's Frizz Ease can help with this. Using the hood dryer instead of the blow dryer is a better alternative if you plan to flat iron. (Please add other products that you would recommend).

In my past, I use to flat iron my hair straight the night before and then go back over my hair with a curling iron the next morning because I didn't know how to curl with the flat iron. Big no-no, especially if you are using the curling iron on a high heat setting. Try to modify this by rolling the hair over night, pin curling, or investing in a Caruso Steam Roller Set.

BLOW DRYERS
I haven't used a blow dryer in a while, but in times of emergencies, a blow dryer is my friend. Blow dryers come in a variety of types: standard, ionic, and ceramic are to name a few. The ionic dryers use negatively charged ions rather than positive ions emitted by standard dryers in order to help preserve the hair's moisture and dry hair more quickly. Ceramic dryers provide more even heat and most times have more temperature regulators to prevent damage. Blow dryers also come with several different attachments for different styling needs (drying, conditioning, straightening, diffusing, etc.). Be sure to invest in a good blow dryer, preferably a ceramic or ionic one.

Using a blow dryer properly can aid in avoiding heat damage. As stated before, you should only use a blow dryer on freshly washed and deep conditioned hair and you may want to incorporate heat-activated products and heat protecting sprays like 911 heat protector in your regimen.

(Following found on the web): To use the dryer effectively, direct the hot air flow down the strands from the root toward the tip; reversing the direction will inflate hair follicles and cause frizzy, dull hair. For more even heat application and control, keep the dryer at least eight inches from hair at all times, unless the styling technique specifically calls for closer use. Wrapping hair around a wide brush can help control the strands to apply heat evenly and add volume. Do not apply heat to the hair or length for long periods of time and keep both the dryer and the hair moving to prevent concentrating the heat in one location (end web info).

As stated before, you should try to use only one direct heat appliance, if your goal is to minimize heat. So if you are blow drying, you should plan to wear your hair in a bun or other protective style that does not require additional heat. Additionally, to limit the amount of heat that is applied, you may allow your hair to dry naturally from wet to damp before using a blow dryer. Because a blow dryer is very drying to the hair, you may also find it beneficial to not completely dry your with the blow dryer. Never dry your hair stiff. This would mean that you have depleted most, if not all, of the moisture from your hair. Try to keep the dryer further away from your hair to help prevent scorching, and try to use the lowest possible heat setting to accomplish your style. And definitely don't forget to moisturize and seal afterwards.

Continued...

Last edited:

texasqt

CURLERS, FLAT IRONS, AND HOT COMBS
I am combining theses appliances in this section because a lot of the information overlaps (and I’m getting sleepy). As always, you should only use these appliances on freshly washed, deep conditioned, and completely dry hair. Incorporate products that will aid in reducing frizz and/or smoothing the cuticle to aid in achieving the look you want. The frequency of use depends on the individual – Cathy Howse professes to using heat twice a week on clean hair while others dare not use heat more than once a month. If you are using heat every day, you definitely might need to consider alternatives to maintaining your style. Especially if you find your hair thinning on the ends, requiring frequent trims due to split ends/heat damage, or your hair just happens to be the same length it was this time last year and you are trying to grow it out.

These appliances also come in a variety of sizes and types: gold/silver plated, ceramic, ionic, tourmaline, and many more. Do some research and invest in a good one that promotes a reduction in heat damage but keep in mind it does not matter what type you use because they all will damage your hair with over-use and inappropriate use. Also, be sure to clean the appliance regularly and pay attention for any product residue/build up that has been burned onto the iron. This reduces the irons effectiveness and may lead to hair damage.

Flat irons have become the new trend in hair styling surpassing both the hot comb and the curling irons. Flat irons have a higher temperature range than the curling irons and offer more control over heat settings than hot combs. Hot combs are known to cause heat damage because most do not have temperature settings. There are hot combs that are currently in the market with heat settings and you can use these in the same way the flat iron may be used. A skilled flat iron user can use the flat iron to both curl and straighten. However, please be aware that flat irons and hot combs, were developed to straighten curly/frizzy hair (look at the hair types in the demonstrations for the maxiglide).

With that being said, if you have recently relaxed your hair, avoid the flat iron all together and consider roller setting. If you must use direct heat, opt for the curling iron or be sure to use your flat iron on a lower heat setting. Using a large barrel curling iron will allow you to get that “bumped-end” look when your hair is chemically straightened. If you are stretching your relaxers, flat ironing the new growth only and curling the relaxed ends with the curling iron helps prevent heat damaged to your relaxed ends.

When using any of these appliances, incorporate smoothing or anti-frizz products in your regimen on wet hair. Depending on your hair type, this may allow you to bypass using a blow dryer. While your hair is wet, use your anti-frizz or smoothing serum/lotion/spray, or a straightening balm that has a heat protectant in it. If used on dry hair, it may be too greasy. The trick to using it on wet hair is that it allows the serum to distribute evenly and soften hair as it dries. It also will maximize the life of the style, and make straightening result last longer. Allow your hair to air dry (or use the blow dryer if you must).

It has been recommended that you do not apply anything to the hair right before flat ironing/curling/hot combing. However, some choose to apply pressing oils like Dudley’s Cream Press or other serums like CHI Silk Infusion. Whatever you apply on your hair, it should contain a heat protectant and your hair should not sizzle when the iron is applied. I have used both Dudley’s and CHI and neither have made my hair sizzle. If your hair is sizzling, you have too much product in your hair and the product is “cooking” on your hair, which will lead to heat damage over time.

Applying Direct Heat
Comb through detangling your dry hair and using the tip of a rat-tail comb, section the hair off into one or two-inch sections of hair. The smaller the section, the flatter and more weightless your hair will be. Use clips to keep the sections separate. After sectioning, go over each section with the flat iron/curling iron/hot comb slowly. Use even pressure while applying the iron from the root to the end without stopping on any part of the sectioned hair. (Remember, freshly relaxed hair does not need straightening so you may opt to use just the curling iron or apply to the new growth only). Apply the iron as close to the scalp as possible. Slowly pull iron down the length of hair while creating a curve towards the end. Be sure to read directions to see what heat setting you should have iron on and how long to keep iron on hair.

When done, apply your moisturizer lightly and seal lightly with an oil/oil sheen. If you find that your hair is breaking afterwards, use a moisturizer that has protein in it like carrot oil for a few days or re-wash, deep condition and style without heat until the breakage has stopped.

Summary:
1. Always start using your appliance on clean and dry hair, best after shampooing and deep conditioning.
2. While hair is wet, use a frizz control or smoothing heat protectant product to prevent frizz and protect the hair during the drying and thermal styling process.
3. Set an appropriate temperature and work with the hair in manageable sections. The smaller the hair partings, the cleaner and straighter each of your sections will be.
4. Draw thin sections of hair through flat iron slowly, but keep the iron moving with even pressure. Continue until all of your hair has been straightened.
5. Remember, the hair base/new growth needs the most amount of heat (flat iron), the ends need the least (curling iron/lower heat setting).

So, in your response answer the following 3 questions:

P.S. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DRINK A RED BULL!!!

Anti-Frizz, Smoother, & Heat Protectors Recommended Below
1. Chi Silk Infusion
2. Joico K-pak Leave-In Protectant (foam)
3. Nexxus Heat Protexx
4. PM Super Skinny Serum
5. Mizani Thermastrength serum (a cream)
6. KMS Flatout Straightening Creme
7. John Frieda collection Extra Strength Hair Serum
8. Dudley's Cream Pressing Oil
9. Proclaim Hot Thermal Styler

Last edited:

Artemis

texasqt said:

P.S. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DRINK A RED BULL!!!

Thanks to Red Bull, a very important thread was born :lol:

Good Stuff, girlie!

Ok. Before I answer the Q's, I just want to add that if your hair is sizzling while using a heat appliance, the problem could be too much product AND a way too high temp. THE HAIR SHOULD NOT SIZZLE OR SMOKE!!! Temp control is your friend; use it. If you don't have temp control, it's time to upgrade!

Alrighty then:
1. How often do you use heat? ~2x/week
I wash & DC about 2x/week, so I use heat only on those days. Sometimes I rollerset, then flat iron...sometimes I blow dry, then flat iron...sometimes I air-dry in a bun and don't use heat--it just depends. But I make an effort to not do the same thing 2x in one week. So, for example, if I blow dry then flat iron on Monday, then on Thursday I will air dry or rollerset...Airdrying prior to a flat iron does not work for me at all--all of the diff textures agree to disagree at that pt in the styling process. When blowdrying I use a ceramic Conair on LOW/WARM w/a round brush AND I go slow (but keep the dryer moving constantly) so I don't rip through my hair w/the brush. My [Solia!] flat iron's setting never goes above 300 degrees, and sometimes if I have to turn it down. Also, because I have perfected this method for MY hair, I actually lose LESS hair blowdrying/flat ironing than when I rollerset--GO FIGURE!!
3. What products do you use/recommend? I :love: Chi Silk Infusion, Joico K-pak Leave-In Protectant (foam), and Nexxus Heat Protexx. I also use PM Super Skinny Serum later in my relaxer stretch--it cuts down on drying time and gets those roots straight!

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Everytime I shampoo and condition my hair which is 1-2 times a week.

I airdry and flatiron using my Solia iron. I have been using Mizani Thermastrength serum (a cream) along with just a little Chi Silk Infusion. The Mizani is actually pretty moisturizing. I have been doing regular strengthening treatments weekly - alternating between a protein concoction I mix up and a Mud treatment. These weeklu treatments have helped a lot!

I really like the Mizani Thermastrength serum because it is really a cream. It is a bit expensive, but I have yet to find a similar product. I personally DO NOT like applying heat with out moisture (leave in or whatever) AND the protectant. I know that many of them make heat styling results in the sizzling and popping, but the Mizani does not.

Edited to add:

Although I have no problem admitting my heat use, I do want to decrease it as my hair gets longer. I think braids-outs and airdried updos will be good for me as I even my hair out to make them look cute. I DON'T like the fact that I do rely on heat so much. :nono:

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Every 1 - 2 weeks

After applying my various protectors/serums I blow dry my hair on (with the comb attachment) on the medium heat option. Next I take my Maxiglide and on heat level maybe 6 or 7 I flat iron small sections working from the bottom to the top. Next I take my Sedu flat iron and on the high heat option go back over bigger chunks of just straightened hair. After that I get my edges with a pressing comb. Lastly I roll my hair with the pillow type cottony rollers that I have wrapped in a rolling paper.

I really can't since I am always switching up trying to get the right balance. I guess for now whats working is Nourishing Olive Oil Sheen Spray, KMS Flatout Straightening Creme and John Frieda collection Extra Strength Hair Serum.

Royal Glory

texasqt said:
bumping...

Great thread...

I use a blow dryer and curling iron twice a week when I wash my hair. I closely monitor my hair status and am happy that I am still making progress. Once or twice a month, I deep condition with heat...using a plastic cap under a hooded dryer.
After shampooing, I deep condition every time. Sometimes I prepoo AND deep condition. I alternate using silk protein maybe every couple of weeks. I make sure my hair is tangle free and I keep it wrapped in my hair towel until it is 80% dry. Then I add my leave-ins: NTM leave-in, Ojon Revitilizing Mist & SAO. Then I use the T3 Tourmaline blow dryer. After that I add a couple more drops of SAO or Ojon Glossing Cream and follow with the T3 Tourmaline Twirl curling iron. I throw in my hard rollers so the curls set.
I use the products I mentioned above. But use whatever keeps your hair moisturized and strong.

I know the ideal is to use as little heat as possible, and that is what I am doing for me. To compensate, I just make sure I deep condition and use protein as needed. I use heat on the lowest settings and shortest duration possible and with quality tools.

I am happy that I have been able to find a good compromise for my hair with LHCF's great advice and I have gained up to four inches since joining last October. That is a good pace for me.

Treasure2k6

I flat iron 1x a month andIblow dry 2 x a month

I use heat when i deep condition after ever other wash on medium with a plastic cap on for about 15 minutes (Ion hooded dryer). I'm impatient! Once I've rinsed the conditioner out with cold water, I part my hair in 4 sections then apply dime sized amounts of a creamy based leave in conditioner. Usually its Nexxus Headress, ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer or NTM. Then I take a dime sized amount of WGO and Proclaim Heat Protectant Spray and give each section a sprtiz or 2 of that! From this point, I will pull out my hand held Ion Blow Dryer and blast it on High! Myhair laughs at any other temprature. I use the comb attachment and blow dry through each section until its 95% dry. The final step is my cheapie ceramic plated flat iron (Curl Master). I will spray my hair once more before flat ironing it with the heat protectant. I only need to use the lowest heat setting at this point. Once flat ironed, i use a any type of clear gloss to coat my hair.
Its WORK!

Wild Grow for Moisture, Proclaim Gloss Serum-For light moisture,shine and protection, ORS Olive Oil Creamy Moisturizer, Nexxus Headress-Light Leave In Protein

RosesBlack

Thank you for posting this. I'm still super heat phobic but instructions like these are helping me get over it.

texasqt

RosesBlack said:
Thank you for posting this. I'm still super heat phobic but instructions like these are helping me get over it.

You're welcome. I felt like I was going overboard with the heat trying to stretch my relaxer. I didn't realize the importance of applying a heat protector while the hair was wet until now.

Missi

-Before my no-heat challenge: i used heat 2x per month: I switched weekly between baggying and wrapping.

-My heat regimen is gonna be to continue to rollerset my hair: I'll alternate between a stylerdryer: the comb shaped ones: just to blow out my roots (on the lowest setting of course) and flatironing w/ my maxiglide: So I guess 4 weeks out the month: week 1 (rollerset) week 2 (baggy) week 3 (flatiron) week 4 (baggy)

-Lacio Lacio, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Leave-in, Ultra Black Hair Dew Spray, Chi Silk Infusion, and Dove Sheer Mist
~HTH~

Last edited:

texasqt

I guess I could answer my own questions!

About once a week
After shampooing and deep conditioning, I usually spray my hair with a leave-in and 911 Heat Protector Spray Extra-Dry formula and seal with Hot Six Oil. I'm returning to WGO because it helps in keeping the new growth soft. After airdrying, I would apply a serum like Chi Silk Infusion or a pressing oil like Dudley's cream press or even both and go over my new growth with a curling iron before curling the ends. Next time I'm going to apply the serum to my hair while wet to see how that works.
I like Chi but there are other products with similar ingredients for a lot less like several of Fantasia IC's hair serums. I also question whether or not CHI is actually a heat protector. Proclaims Heat Protector is pretty good too.

MizzCoco

So whats the verdict on Chi silk infusion being a real heat protectant? Ive been using it all this time, but I guess it doesnt really state that on the bottle, now that I read it

Nonie

I really don't have a schedule. I just use it when I feel like it. Last time I used heat was to straighten my hair in April 2009. Before that it was end of 2006.

2. What's your heat regimen/what appliances do you use and how?
DC on dry hair with AO GPB no heat. Shampoo with Garnier Fructis. Condition with CHI Infra Treatment Thermal Protective Treatment. Then once I rinsed and ACV rinsed, I airdried in Curlformers to stretch. Once dry I rewet each section with John Frieda Heat Defeat Spray (by applying to my dry hair I was able to tell when the product had covered every inch of my hair because as long as my strands was wet, then I knew this heat protectant was well applied). I passed the flatiron at 230 degrees C once over the hair. (That's 446 degrees F :look:) Once all sections had had that one pass. I then applied John Frieda Heat Protection Serum on very narrow sections and passed the iron once again on each section. The end.

The ones mentioned in the above paragraph. My hair didn't smell like I was straightening it (FIRST TIME IN ALL MY LIFE FOR THIS TO BE THE CASE). It had no smell of burnt hair afterward either, nor did my scarves or anything that touched my hair. It just smelled like freshly washed hair. And it stayed smooth and straight without any reversion until I washed it. And when I washed my hair, there was still no smell of burnt hair. And I had total reversion once shampoo touched it. Flatironing my hair this took away all fear I ever had of using heat on my hair.

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

Never, not even with deep conditioning. I sleep overnight in my DC

I don't use any heat or comb at all. I recommend finger-detangling, finger-styling and finger-combing

Finger-detangling, finger-styling, finger-combing and scarf method

I'm reading to get advice for when I get ready to flat iron.

MizzCoco

I forgot to answer
1. How often do you use heat? I use heat 2-4 times a month always after a shampoo and DC[/B]
2. What’s your heat regimen/what appliances do you use and how? I prepoo with WGO/EVOO then shampoo with Joico Silk results. Quick condition in the shower with Silk results conditioner, or sometimes I steam with AO HSR or another staple DC if im not feeling lazy then I apply my leave in, my current fav is Redken Real Control Crema care and a serum, PM super skinny or Chi silk infusion. Also really like One and Only Argan oil's serum. I air dry in braids then use my Sedu flat iron at 350f using my denman to chase
I definitely recommend Joico's silk results line, always left me with smooth silky hair, and Im about 8 months post, Redkens Crema care leave in is really good, can be heavy but I've learned the right amount to use. and All the serums I named leave my hair shiny

Last edited:

Boujoichic

Ive only used heat twice since being natural I was a full year natural in March I waited about 3 mos after I straightened the first time to do it again I am going to straighten again this month for a length check then Im not using direct heat for at least another 6 mos.
I do a braid out the night before then straighten using a ceramic coated flatiron with a spray heat protective. I was just using a cheap beauty supply iron and I kept the setting pretty low
I used Chi Iron guard previously but I cant recommend it as my hair came out kind of crunchy and stiff I think I used too much but I was paranoid thinking if I didnt saturate my hair it wouldnt revert ( I didnt need to worry my hair started reverting before I even finished flat ironing) . I now have a Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium flat iron and Sabino lock and block Im gonna try these for my next flat iron and hopefully my results will be better.