Using human hair to braid "natural" hair..

Peachi

Using human hair to braid \"natural\" hair..

I am heading to braid my hair this coming sunday. I have a style in mind but from what I've seen so far in hair mags, the style has been achieved (on permies) using human hair. I've always heard that naturals should use synthetic, but is that always true.
My cousin used human hair on her natural hair but her is shorter and thinner than mine so she can get away with it.

I don't want to braid with human hair and have my natural texture sticking out all over, making it look unattractive.

Just want to know if it's possible to braid LONG natural hair with human hair? If not, then I guess I have to stick with my synthetic yaki ponies.

ComfortablyNumb

Re: Using human hair to braid \"natural\" hair..

This will work if the style you are considering will allow the hair to be braided at least 9 or so inches (at least an inch past your natural hair). As long as the hair is braided past your natural hair, there shouldn't be a problem.

L

legs71

It's always best to use human hair for braids because synthetic hair has a tendency to dry out your hair and "cut" it. I wear microbraids, my hair is natural and I don't have a problem with my natural texture sticking out.

cutebajangirl

Yeah I agree with the ladies here, if the natural hair is sticking out then you need a braider with more skills an/or willingness to be careful. Have you ever thought about doing them yourself?

Nonie

Peachi, I've got natural hair and I use human hair extensions for my micros. I do my own braids and I don't have my hair sticking out of the braids. In fact, most people can't tell where my hair ends until I point it out.

Consider this: It's possible to do single/square braids on your natural hair neatly such that hair doesn't stick out, right? The same effect can be achieved even with the human hair added without you even having to press your hair. I think the trick is:

1) to use for each micro as much extension hair as your own hair;
2) to smooth out your hair as you braid; and
3) to hold your hair as close to the point you're braiding as possible so that you ensure you tuck in all the hairs well.

I'm not sure how better to explain that without actually demonstrating but I hope you get my point. The only time you might see hair sticking out of the braid is after a few washes coz your hair will shrink and human hair easily unravels. But once you learn to repair your own braids (or if your piece gets as old as mine
) you will be able to keep them looking neat with little effort.

mermaid

When my hair is braided (natural- no relaxer, but I do use color), I only use human hair- the effect is soo, much more appealing- the hair is more versatile in styling, it doesn't cut my fingers when I'm braiding, it's softer against my skin, just so much nicer all around. I'm attempting to load a few pics so you can see how long my hair is and how well the human hair braids works with it.

Peachi

To those who have used human hair, is your hair longer than 7inches? My main concern is the frizzies or my natural hair sticking out and showing the difference in texture.

I really want to try human hair and based on the advise I heard on this thread, I might just go ahead and buy human hair. I plan on going to the braider who does my hair (using synthetic)...

I am in NYC and if anyone can recommend a great braider, I am willing to try someone new.

Nonie

Yes, my hair is longer than 7 inches. It was seven inches in the shortest parts when I joined the board at the beginning of July and I've been wearing braids continuously for over 2 years. If you ask them to braid the entire length of the micro, or at least a good length past your hair, you may get better results since the ends of your hair will be neatly tucked into the length of the braid.

karezone

Plus if they braid all of your hair into the braid, it will not be eposed and there will be a lesser chance of breakage.