Using Oils, Butters, and Dressings: What I learned from Macherieamour!

chayil0427

For those of you who haven't checked it out macherieamour has an incredible hair site.... www.healthytextures.com

Well, as I was stalking her video tutorials I noticed that for ALL her hair she only uses a DAB...teeeeeeeeeeny DAB of hair dressing to moisturize her beautiful locks.

So I'm thinking, if her hair is THAT gorgeous on that lil dab...why am I glopping fists full of oil in my hair?

So today I tried using just a small dime sized amount of castor oil before blow drying and flat ironing SUCCESS. My hair was soft and moist with a ton of volume and movement. I finished up with some avodaco butter, but instead of just slapping some between my hands and going at it I just barely coated one finger and worked it in very lightly until I'd covered my ends.

The results SWANGING hair that's super moisturized! I'm loving it! You will too! check out my girls site! www.healthytextures.com !!!

Chayil

Last edited:

LovelyLionessa

That was really amazing to me too seeing how little product she uses. I can't wait for her rollersetting video to come out too. She has tons of tips and tricks.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Love the Saran Wrap tutorial, her hair just bouncing around like that reminds me why I loooove long hair. Her hair is gorgeous, masha Allaah!

Dee-Licious

Yeah, I was REALLLLY shocked when I saw how little she used.

She said it best with something like "My hair is already unruly from not being washed in about 5 days, slapping a ton of moisturizer on it is not going to change that."

I think about her when ever I get ready to moisturize my hair now, but I do have to make sure I feel that I've covered my ends completely enough to my satisfaction...

Lissa0821

I thought the same thing, my hair is fine and Lord knows I use a large amount of whatever product I putting on my hair just out of habit. My mouth fell open when I saw how little she used. Now I know out hair textures are different but I am now convinced that less may prove to be more for me as well. It's going to be a hard habit to break but I am willing to work on it.

Artemis

MsDee4 said:
Yeah, I was REALLLLY shocked when I saw how little she used.

She said it best with something like "My hair is already unruly from not being washed in about 5 days, slapping a ton of moisturizer on it is not going to change that."

I think about her when ever I get ready to moisturize my hair now, but I do have to make sure I feel that I've covered my ends completely enough to my satisfaction...

I agree with this. I've learned that even if I need a little more than that little dab, I'll just add a little dab more, rather than smothering it on.

cocoa32

I was SHOCKED to see how little product she uses, also. I was applying lots of moisturizer to the little bit of hair I have....way more than she uses on her long flowing hair. We're the same hair type, too. I thought more was better, but I guess not.

Her site is wonderful. I've learned a lot!

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
I mentioned this in the thread about her blog. It really surprised me too. Since watching the vids I've conciously been just dabbing 1 finger into the product.

Now I need to work on using less conditioner. I put on handfuls!

macherieamour

Hehe- Thanks guys! Yep-less is more. I feel like if you are using good penetrating deep conditioners and are deep conditioning consistently, you really dont need that much product.

It took me YEARS to learn that from LHCF and the Dominican salons (talk about minimal product users:lol: )

Blackoutzangel05

Thank you so much! I believe that I have been putting wayyyyyyyy too much on my hair. I had to search for where she showed how much she used so I am going to try this out and see how long it last. My hair is feeling really dry after doing my rollerset but I used a slight amount more....but you are right, its still feels great!!!!

I have also bookmarked her site!!

chayil0427

macherieamour said:
Hehe- Thanks guys! Yep-less is more. I feel like if you are using good penetrating deep conditioners and are deep conditioning consistently, you really dont need that much product.

It took me YEARS to learn that from LHCF and the Dominican salons (talk about minimal product users:lol: )

Yep I was thinking that with hair like that you must have a 5 gallon bucket of moisturizer, but when I saw you dab your finger in there like that I was like :eek: .

I've learned so much from you. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and inspiration with the little people :lol: .

Chayil

chayil0427

AlexB7 said:
I mentioned this in the thread about her blog. It really surprised me too. Since watching the vids I've conciously been just dabbing 1 finger into the product.

Now I need to work on using less conditioner. I put on handfuls!

You...girl I buy my conditioner by the liter. Yet, when I got the Aveda it was so expensive I just used a dab and really rubbed it through. The small amount worked great.

I think in general I just use too much of everything from pre-poo to finish.

Chayil

Ayeshia

I agree a lot of people asked me what the aveda stylist used in my hair to get the shine and swing...truth be told literally NOTHING. It works :yep: The more porduct and heat protectant you use the worse your flat iron and rollerset results will be. Even dosuing your hair with conditioner to DC can skew your results too.
Gorgeous hair Macherie :love:

Last edited:

SEMO

I just watched one of her tutorials, and it was very informative :). Now I'm wondering how I missed seeing her site before. Thanks for bringing attention to it. I'm definitely going to bookmark her page.

Macherieamour, your hair looks amazing and your site/blog is very nice. Great job. It was so interesting to see your hair in action. You make me miss my relaxed days :p .

ETA: I just saw that small product dab you did. Man, your hair moisturizers must last forever. But it makes sense to use only a little. When I watch What Not to Wear the hair stylist Nick always seems to use so little product. I guess that's the trick. I will definitely try to be less heavy handed.

Last edited:

SkinnyMocah

I'm using leaps and bounds less than before but I use more than a dab. About a 50 cent piece size, two if needed. Though I do put some on, let it sink in, and then if I feel like I need more I will add. I am learning that my hair does not drink it up instantly, it needs a few minutes to absorb.

MrsHouston

SEMO said:
I just watched one of her tutorials, and it was very informative :). Now I'm wondering how I missed seeing her site before. Thanks for bringing attention to it. I'm definitely going to bookmark her page.

Macherieamour, your hair looks amazing and your site/blog is very nice. Great job. It was so interesting to see your hair in action. You make me miss my relaxed days :p .

ETA: I just saw that small product dab you did. Man, your hair moisturizers must last forever. But it makes sense to use only a little. When I watch What Not to Wear the hair stylist Nick always seems to use so little product. I guess that's the trick. I will definitely try to be less heavy handed.

Yep, I love the way Nick styles hair, I just wish he would advertise the name of his products.

MrsHouston

Wow, I loved her pre-poo towel video. Using a small amount IS good and it saves you $$$ when you're buying the higher end more quality products.

Thanks Lady!

RubyWoo

Yesssss!!!! I was just thinking about this today too! After watching her tutorials I realized that I used entirely way too much product. I thought I was using the right amount too:lol:. My hair actually feels and looks much better(more movement and shine) now since I'm using less product. I didn't think my hair could still feel moisturized but low and behold it does. It seems like more actually isn't better, it was actually worse for my hair. Thanks again macherie:cool:!

youwillrise

i can definitely be heavy handed with product!

today, i did a wash and go
and i only had a tiny bit of conditioner to leave in my hair
i used that tiny bit...and my hair wasnt as under-moisturized
as i was always thinking it'd be if i didnt use "a lot"

i'll definitely save money by using the amount i need
rather than thinking it's never enough!

haha

Empress Yahudah

Ever since she started doing her vids i was in amazed how little she uses to moisturize her hair
I was like thats all she's gonna use for ALL THAT HAIR :eek: ..
but I get it now.... if u DC on a regular basis with good conditioners u dont need to glob a bunch of moisture on ur hair everyday!!!... I think I was doing it cuz I thought I was supposed to but I didnt need to....
I tried "The Dab Method":lol: with great results!!! THANK U FOR UR VIDS ...KEEP EM COMMIN ;)

I just took a gander at that little dab too. I realized that I need to ease up also, but now I am sad cause I have all this daggone product to use up and I will just be "dabbing" away at it instead of globbing it on. :mad:

At this rate I won't be able to purchase more products for another 5 years or so!!!!! Just kidding. Thank you so much for the info. ALL the tutorials were absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!!! Thank you so much!:D

Snuckles

This thread is soooooooooo on point with me.

Although I'm not relaxed, I was just noticing how my twist look & swing with very little product on them. I'm trying to break the habit of putting oils & moisturizers on them everyday to help keep them moisturized. When I put oils on it everyday or every other day, by wash day my twist are very limp.

When I learned about this site and started reading the various threads, I picked up immediately that I needed to keep my hair moisturized and to lock in the moisture among other things like kicking my blowdryer to the curb. So . . . to increase my length and get long hair like many of the women here that's what I started doing. Perhaps I was going about it wrong.

I know I've very heavy handed but I wanted to make sure that EVERY strand got some moisturizer and some oil.

Okay . . . off to check out Macherieamour's website.

Macherieamour have you thought about going natural? I'm only asking for selfish reasons as I'd love for you to post vids and tips on natural hair care :)

Arcadian

I've always been a big advocate of the less is more (except with phyto relaxers:lol: )

Even though I don't wear my hair down much I still use small amounts of product. That just works best for me. Slathering on a bunch of moisterizers and oil just makes my hair goey and unmanagable.

Excellent tutorial and website!

-A

kally

Can the Dap method also be used on natural hair? My hair tends to dry very quckly. Thanks. I am at work and can not fully view the site. I am to anxious to wait until I get home.

Also is it ok to apply a generous amount of Deep conditioner?

Last but not least do you still use oil to seal the ends? TIA

youwillrise

i'm natural
and even though i'm used to putting loads of product (moisturizer)
because i think it'll be better that way

yesterday,
i had to make due with the little i had
and it seemed to work ok

i'm sure it'd be better if i had an even better conditioner/moisturizer on hand

i'm going to start trying to apply the "less is more" mentality
definitely will help save me some money.

Southernbella.

macherieamour said:

My old stylist told me that, but I didn't believe her. I kept asking her what she used in my hair so that I could buy it for the in between days, and she kept saying "conditioner". :lol: She was right though, and I have gone by "less is more" ever since.

Ok, I didn't know you had videos up! :eek:

Off to stalk...:lol:

cocoberry10

macherieamour said:

I totally agree. I need to use the less is more approach. It will save me money. Lately I’ve been using a lot of Keracare/Avlon products, and they are so light, and I don’t have to use as much, yet my hair is still so soft afterwards.

OT: Macherieamour, How often do you go to the Dominican salons?

oh, and I’ll be stalking, I mean viewing your videos tonight

SleekandBouncy

Yay!!
There are some products that it's okay to glob on (conditioner, etc.), but I agree that less is usually more. Traditionally we(black women) tend to be heavy handed with our products and I think that's why theres been such popularity with Dominican salons. They could get our hair swinging like magic when really the secret was that they didn't apply too much grease, moisturizer, etc.