V05 dried my hair out!!!

Magnolia85

Im learning that my hair does not take to well to cheapie conditioners.:ohwell: Im in need of some recommendations for hair that does not keep moisture easily. Help Please...

Im learning that my hair does not take to well to cheapie conditioners.:ohwell: Im in need of some recommendations for hair that does not keep moisture easily. Help Please...
Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner is actually a cheapie natural conditioner, however it does have parabens. ( but no silicones, mineral oil, lanolin, petrolem jelly)
Burt's Bee Brazil Nut and Raspberry More Moisture Conditioner.

Join the club... I think V05 dries everybody's hair out! Those few who claim otherwise are just trying to sucker more unsuspecting people into the dry haystack hair club so they won't be lonely... I've got it all worked out... quite a conspiracy... :spinning:

Anyway, for dry hair there is no better condish for cheap than Suave Humectant. 32 oz for less than $4 in my area, and it's great stuff. If it doesn't work for you, what are you out? Almost no money and a little time. I've never heard of it drying anybody's hair out.

Same here. It dried it out really bad. The only one I did like was the Kiwi clarifying shampoo, but I haven't seen it in ages. I just looked in my stash of products and I have the Suave Humectant. I might to use it as a co-wash. I haven't had much success with co-washes. I get a lot of build up! Maybe I'm just using the wrong conditioners!

Same here. It dried it out really bad. The only one I did like was the Kiwi clarifying shampoo, but I haven't seen it in ages. I just looked in my stash of products and I have the Suave Humectant. I might to use it as a co-wash. I haven't had much success with co-washes. I get a lot of build up! Maybe I'm just using the wrong conditioners!

I co wash most of the time. best combo that ive used was the sauve humectant conditioner ( i use it as a shampoo but it's very nice a thick and good for detangling) and then i use tresseme curl definition for the conditioning and detangling part. Tresseme has been really good to my hair.Its even nice for my wngs. VO5 did NOTHING for me. Any other combinations or conditioners i've tried to use havent really been working so great.

I just bought main n tail since it was great on my hair when i was relaxed ...but now as a natural its not doing anything for me either and its not even giving me good slip :( . Ive had to resort to a bottle of pantene since i havent been able to get to the store and this too has been drying my hair out badly and my curls are just..:nono:.

So...Tresseme it is.
Even if your not looking for the curl definition they have other ones for anti breakage which i used during my transition, i think one for straight hair.

Since you don't want a cheapo, go for Goldwell and/or Mizani. I alternate between both. LOL...they AIN'T cheap by any means. Even more expensive is Phytologie...their conditioners are VERY nice, but I perfer the other two I named even more.

FWIW, V05 doesn't dry my hair out, but then again I don't use most cheapos undoctored. I always add some sort of oil (usually coconut) to cheapos and then I mix cheapos together too. I've never tried cowashing, but if I did, I'd use Dove products. Dove and Sunsilk are two 1st rate cheapo brands I've found. Whatever you do, avoid Aussie products!

Last edited:
Whatever you do, avoid Aussie products!

Wow. . .IDK about that. Aussie Moist is a great, ULTRAAAA moisturizing conditioner for CW. Whenever I feel like I might have a little "battle" with protein overload, this is the one of the first things I bring out the arsenal. The only two cheap CWs I will cosign for are this and Garnier Fructis. HE LTR is okay . . . but I don't cosign it for everyone.

Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner is actually a cheapie natural conditioner, however it does have parabens. ( but no silicones, mineral oil, lanolin, petrolem jelly)
Burt's Bee Brazil Nut and Raspberry More Moisture Conditioner.

cosign!!! i LOVE trader joe's nourish spa conditioner!! it's so moisturizing, and has a good amount of slip.

Wow. . .IDK about that. Aussie Moist is a great, ULTRAAAA moisturizing conditioner for CW. Whenever I feel like I might have a little "battle" with protein overload, this is the one of the first things I bring out the arsenal. The only two cheap CWs I will cosign for are this and Garnier Fructis. HE LTR is okay . . . but I don't cosign it for everyone.

I'd have to agree about the Aussie. I love Aussie Moist and wish it came in an even bigger bottle. I don't care for Garnier or HE products much either but according to this thread, I'm part of the minority that actually likes certain V05s for cowashing. Some do contain protein and those you want to avoid for obvious reasons but the Sun Ripened Raspberry, Strawberries n Champagne, Passionfruit, and Calming Chamomile (the thickest out of all mentioned) all get the job done for me. No More Splits too. Since they are so thin, 1 bottle usually only lasts me about 2-3 CW's. Actually, any of the ones that say moisture or balancing I usually like.

I know foodlion has a sale on the liter bottles of tresemme for 2.99! so stock up while u can. but sorry your hair got dried out cause of the V05, i mostly cowash with this and it works for me... but try Kenra MC or Joico Moisture Recovery. I know Ulta had a special on Joico 2 for 19.99 i believe.

I've found Tresemme moisturizing conditioners to be a nice go between costwise. VO5 does not work for me either, and I'm gonna finish up my last bottle on cowashes. I'll probably have to mix with coconut oil to give it a boost.

Since you don't want a cheapo, go for Goldwell and/or Mizani. I alternate between both. LOL...they AIN'T cheap by any means. Even more expensive is Phytologie...their conditioners are VERY nice, but I perfer the other two I named even more.

FWIW, V05 doesn't dry my hair out, but then again I don't use most cheapos undoctored. I always add some sort of oil (usually coconut) to cheapos and then I mix cheapos together too. I've never tried cowashing, but if I did, I'd use Dove products. Dove and Sunsilk are two 1st rate cheapo brands I've found. Whatever you do, avoid Aussie products!

Thx, I will try Dove after my LTR is gone. :yep:

I know some people like Vo5 - but that stuff is TRASH.
There is a reason they sell it at Dollar Tree....

it is the Sterakolonium Chloride that is the main culprit.

VO5 works okay for me. The only thing about it is that it doesn't give much of any shine to my hair like Suave can. VO5 just makes it look dull, yet soft and fluffy.

well i love vo5 conditioners but when i mix a conditioner (suave) with coconut oil and honey its even better.

I'd have to agree about the Aussie. I love Aussie Moist and wish it came in an even bigger bottle. I don't care for Garnier or HE products much either but according to this thread, I'm part of the minority that actually likes certain V05s for cowashing. Some do contain protein and those you want to avoid for obvious reasons but the Sun Ripened Raspberry, Strawberries n Champagne, Passionfruit, and Calming Chamomile (the thickest out of all mentioned) all get the job done for me. No More Splits too. Since they are so thin, 1 bottle usually only lasts me about 2-3 CW's. Actually, any of the ones that say moisture or balancing I usually like.

I love Aussie Moist too. It smells yummy. :lick: Wal-Mart and Target sell huge 33+ ounce bottles with a convient pump.

Back