Vitamins and supplements may actually be bad for us

kab

I take reports of "studies" with a grain of salt. The "study" released a few years back on the detriments of vitamin e were performed on synthetic vitamin e rather than natural vitamin e. Synthetic is supposedly a derivative of petroleum. What quality of supplements was in the control group? I don't discount anecdotal info. My personal experience with supplements is that some don't work but many do. Besides, our food is so devoid of nutrients that we need quality supplements to lower the vitamin and mineral deficit. I don't buy that report.

bebezazueta

Was this study conducted by large pharmaceutical companies losing billions of dollars to the vitamins/supplements industry? If I had to choose the lesser of 2 evils trust me vitamins/supplements would win hands down.

kcbelle925

I watched a similar segment on NBC 4 News last night. They said it was in particular to older women that they thought taking too many vitamins could be harmful. Based on a study they found that women over the age of 60 seemed to have had a higher mortality rate when they took an abundance of vitamins.

I believe it was a nutitionist who said that only if you're vitamin deficient would you need to take multiple viatmins and she said that she highly doubts that we Americans are vitamin deficient because we tend to overeat.

I do agree that we many of our foods may not have all of the nutrients that we need so we are forced to take multi-vitamins. But then there are times when you have to wonder what's too much.

I don't recall all of the details of the report but if I do find it online, I'll be sure to post it.

kupenda

Idk how I feel abt that. All of the supplements I take are for specific reasons. For example, my asthma meds basically eat up the calcium in my bones over time so I take calcium whenever I take that particular medicine. And I take MSM cuz I want hair like sunnieb and sylver2 and so on and so forth. It also works wonders for my knee pain and crackly joints, my skin, digestion, etc. I haven't had any ill effects from supplements. The only things that upset my system are the ones I get a prescription for from my doctor. Has this company looked into doing a study on prescription drugs and how they could affect supplements? I would like to hear abt that

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

LaidBak

kcmatthew Yup, I saw that same episode of NBC Nightly News and that's exactly what was reported.
Its funny because I was on a pretty regular regimen of specific supplements for about a year. Then I moved back to the US from overseas, started a new job, bought a house...basically my life and routine got turned upside down and I got off track. I started up again one month ago and I completely see the difference! I take MSM, silica, Omega 3-6-9, chlorella, and a multi. My nails are rock hard, my hair is bouncing back from a setback at a rapid pace, and my acne (which had flared up) is subsiding. ALL in the last month. I know now that I'm seeing real benefit from what I am taking.
Thats my take on this whole thing. Try something new, but only stick with it if you see real benefit in your body.

ashleymichelle1

I bet a drug company did this research. Lol..I will continue taking my supplements. When I stop taking them I can tell a difference in my health...

NikkiGirl

I didn't see much difference in my hair when taking vits, but my nails were thriving I didnt' feel tired all the time. I personally think vitamins work, I just can't remember to take anything everyday. So I don't take vitamins anymore.

Elnahna

I watched a similar segment on NBC 4 News last night. They said it was in particular to older women that they thought taking too many vitamins could be harmful. Based on a study they found that women over the age of 60 seemed to have had a higher mortality rate when they took an abundance of vitamins.

I believe it was a nutitionist who said that only if you're vitamin deficient would you need to take multiple viatmins and she said that she highly doubts that we Americans are vitamin deficient because we tend to overeat.

I do agree that we many of our foods may not have all of the nutrients that we need so we are forced to take multi-vitamins. But then there are times when you have to wonder what's too much.

I don't recall all of the details of the report but if I do find it online, I'll be sure to post it.

You have to always be aware of the origin of the information and more so read for yourself. A perfect example is the above quote in bold, any real nutritionist , would know that our soils are nutritionally depleted and yes Americans overeat but usually processed fake foods. I do agree taking synthetic supplements are not the best, but taking a wholefood vitamin can't hurt.

SvelteVelvet

This just screams propaganda! The frightening title and it's targeted audience, which of course is probably the vitamin industries biggest consumers. This makes ME laugh...but how many women are going to read this article and get the immediate reaction to stop taking their vitamins because some random person wrote an article and threw out some numbers?? Well..I'm hoping in this day and age the majority of people in this world are getting swift on the media being a tool for mind-control attempts.

naturalgyrl5199

A few things:
1) The study was done over a period of 19 years (Longitudinal Study).
2) Average age of the women was 62. (Not our demographic or the average age of adult women anyways)
3) No minorities.

It was announced on Good Morning America this AM, and the MD reporting it mentioned the above. He also said that when people are told they are unhealthy, they tend to pick up on vitamin use...I believe people do that and stop taking (much needed) meds so they can feel they are doing something.

We also don't know WHAT supplements were taken, the health status of the women taking supplements. One thing mentioned is also that women who took a Calcium supplement had a DECREASED mortality risk.
As a Registered and Licensed Dietitian and Nutrition Professor, I HAVE to look at things like this and rip it apart. While its not a "biased" study, there are more questions than answers. We'd have ripped this paper up (via discussion) in our basic Graduate Research Methods class......

Take your supplements (don't overdo or do megadoses)...but eat the foods too....They study participants probably had inadequate and unbalanced diets...thus rendering the supplements ineffective anyways....The supplement is supposed to help complement your diet to get you up to and above 90% of the nutrient needed (RDA)....But the diet info was left out too...