VO5 Conditioners!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
V05 Conditioners!

VO5 is probably one of the cheapest lines on the market, if not THE cheapest. I read sooo many veteran LHCFers with deliciously long hair talk about how they've used VO5 for years to condition AND co-wash and their hair seems to thrive with it.

Questions for you:

1. Which VO5s have you used? Which did you settle on as your staple?
2. Does it seem to work as a DC too?
3. If you co-wash often with ONLY VO5, is there a build-up problem?
4. Are you still using it?
5. If you stopped using VO5 or didn't like it, why?

My Story
Well, on a whim (and cuz I am outta cash, let's be real), I picked up the VO5 Clarifying Conditioner at CVS for .99c. OMG, one of the BEST conditioners next to AO Blue Camommile, if not MORE softening. I used it in my fine 4b/c and even though it's in crochet braids, I could feel the braids softening through the install. Will update when I take them down and cowash in a week. My hair starts breaking instantly when she doesn't like something, so I'll know right away.

DD's type 2 hair was like butter--and the flat-iron she got afterwards was amazing!!! It seems better for her hair than the AO.

I'm gonna follow the veteran gurus and stick with it.

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!:yep:

I only used them to Co-Wash

Nope, they don't contain any silicone which is what primarily contributes to build up.

Yes, I have about 10 to 15 bottles on stand by (I stock during 59cent sales). :yep::yep::yep:

HTH! :)

BraunSugar

There are only 2 VO5 conditioners that work for me: Silky Experience Shea Cashemere & Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie. I currently have about 5 bottles of both. I can use them to co-wash (I don't co-wash often) or detangle.

I have used it as a DC. I mixed in some honey, evoo, & aloe vera juice. I ended up replacing it with Tresemme Naturals for DCs when I am out of my Lustrasilk Cholesterol or if I don't have any coconut milk.

I alternate between VO5 & Tresemme Naturals as my conditioners.

jprayze

BraunSugar said:
There are only 2 VO5 conditioners that work for me: Silky Experience Shea Cashemere & Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie. I currently have about 5 bottles of both. I can use them to co-wash (I don't co-wash often) or detangle.

I have used it as a DC. I mixed in some honey, evoo, & aloe vera juice. I ended up replacing it with Tresemme Naturals for DCs when I am out of my Lustrasilk Cholesterol or if I don't have any coconut milk.

I alternate between VO5 & Tresemme Naturals as my conditioners.

I use the same two for cowashing. My hair hates strawberries n cream...it always ended up so dry and rough afterwards :-(

Never tried to use for DCs.

Gracie

Questions for you:

Any one that I can get my hands on

No

No build up

Yes

N/A

Americka

Questions for you:

1. Which VO5s have you used? Which did you settle on as your staple? 2. Does it seem to work as a DC too? 3. If you co-wash often with ONLY VO5, is there a build-up problem? 4. Are you still using it? 5. If you stopped using VO5 or didn't like it, why?

1. I've tried all of them. I use the Kiwi Lime Clarifying poo/con and the Shea Cashmere poo/con.

2. I do not use them to DC.

3. No problem with buildup b/c I clarify weekly.

4. Yes, I bought a couple of bottles this past weekend.

5. The other VO5 products did nothing for my hair. I did like the one w/panthenol, so I might put that one back in my regimen on protein days.

jesusislove1526

1. Which VO5s have you used?
Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream
Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie
Clarifying Kiwi & Lime

Which did you settle on as your staple?
All 3

I only use it for cowashes

No

Yes

N/A

leiah

I've only used blackberry sage tea. It dried my hair out when I cowashed with it. I was pretty happy using it as a leave in though.

Fhrizzball

I have to mix it heavily with oils for it to work because it's not that detangling or moisturising for me. I only use them when I wash out my henna as I need practically the whole bottle for that.

Marand13

I tend to use any of the moisture milks but will use any that is on sale or according to how my hair feels. I am currently using passion fruit smoothie. I use them mostly to cowash and detangle, but I also use them as a leavein on mine and my daughters hair.But truthfully I prefer suave.

I like to mix conditioners when I DC and I tend to use them as kind of a filler to stretch. I apply a ton of conditioner when I DC. :yep:

Nope!

Have used them for years and will continue to do so.

SunRai Naturals

Passionfruit Smoothie-Moisture Milks
Strawberries and Cream-Moisture Milks
Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner
Shea Cashmere Conditioner
Free Me Fresia Conditioner

The Moisture Milks conditioners are my absolute staples!! I will also continue to buy the Clarifying conditioners but I don't use those as much.

I don't use them to DC.

No not at all and I co-wash at least 4-5 times per week. My hair loves VO5. It is also a detangler and if I want to sometimes I use it as a leave-in conditioner. My hair stays soft and hydrated longer when I use rinse out conditioner as a leave-in. I was surprised that a conditioner this cheap would work so well.

YES!

I won't use the Shea Cashmere or the Freesia VO5 conditioners again. I didn't get the same softness when co-washing as I did with the moisture milks and clarifying condish.

reeko43

Kiwi Lime Clarifying Shampoo
any of the conditioners as I use only to rinse henna. I have tried to use for regular conditioning but it was a no go for me.
No buildup

Curlygirly9

- Passionfruit Smoothie
- Blackberry Sage Tea Therapy
- Kiwi & Lime Clarifying
- Strawberries and Cream
- Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying
- Green Tea & Calming Chamomile Tea
- Some other Fruit sensation line. It was blue I can't remember the exact name but corn oil was one of the ingredients.
- Sun-Kissed Raspberry is my staple! :drool:

I use it on dry hair as a DC/PrePoo. It works just fine.

I have an oily scalp so I don't co-wash anymore.

Yep

I don't use the other V05 conditioners because they make my hair smell funny (especially the Vanilla Mint Tea) and the Strawberries and Cream made my hair way too soft.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Damn. Ya'll got me fiending!

Lunch break is coming up and I am literally fighting myself to NOT go to CVS and grab one of each line to see how they work!

So far its only been the Kiwi Lime Clarifying condish that has me addicted...the milks are next!

SunRai Naturals

DarkJoy-I just bought the Vo5 Herbal Escapes Pomegranate and Grape seed extract conditioner because of your thread! :yep: I have to put myself on restriction because I have way too many conditioners all ready.

spellinto

Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner is the only one I've used. (I'm tempted to try the Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner though...)
I don't think so. I only use mine to cowash with and (vary rarely) detangle with.
Not for me, but maybe it's because I don't cowash frequently and I cleanse my hair at the end of every week.
Just re-visiting it now :) see question below
It was one of the first conditioners I used when I started my hair journey. I stopped using it to experiment with creamier conditioners for my thick hair. I recently revisited just because I got sick of the coconut smell of my HE HH conditioner and wanted something super-cheap to cowash with after my workouts. I had completely forgotten how well the V05 conditioner works on my hair so I am not incorporating it back into my regimen. I don't dislike it at all, just reuniting after a super-long break lol :yep:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I stroll into CVS and what do I see? All V05 lines on sale for a piddly .89c each!!!!!

Yes, I snapped up a Moisture Milk (Strawberries and Creme), Clarifying Conditioner (Kiwi), and Silky Experiences (forgot the flavor-lol).

londonfog

I stroll into CVS and what do I see? All V05 lines on sale for a piddly .89c each!!!!!

Yes, I snapped up a Moisture Milk (Strawberries and Creme), Clarifying Conditioner (Kiwi), and Silky Experiences (forgot the flavor-lol).

Yes ma'am!! I saw the sale on Saturday & got the Passionfruit Smoothie!! Tuesday night will be my first time trying it as a co-wash & I can't wait to see how it does!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Strawberries and Creme hands down. I forgot all the rest after I used that one. I co-wash or detangle with it. Nothing too fancy.

ilong

God's Own
My 5 yr old DGD's hair absolutely loves the free me fresia conditioner. Her Mom and I apply it to her hair and use it as a leave in and re-apply during the week. It makes her hair so soft and manageable even she doesn't mind getting her hair comb. She has VERY thick 4b/4c hair and I am trying to teach her how to care for her hair. She loves the smell so she enjoys applying it. Her nightly hair "task" is to make sure she puts on her hair bonnet.

SmilingElephant

I haven't used V05 in a while. I got mad at them bc they don't make the cucumber melon one, and the strawberry one is hard to find. Those two were my favorites.

Nichelle_jb

1. Which VO5s have you used? I have only tried the Strawberries & Cream one. Which did you settle on as your staple? It is a stable
2. Does it seem to work as a DC too? I haven't used as a DC but I have used as pre-poo (I add EVOO & Honey)
3. If you co-wash often with ONLY VO5, is there a build-up problem? I only co-wash with it when I am washing out my Henna. No build-up.
4. Are you still using it? Yes
5. If you stopped using VO5 or didn't like it, why? NA

Nichelle_jb

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Today I co-washed with the clarifying one as a 'shampoo' then followed with the strawberries moisture milk as a condish (1st time!). OMG! Softness everywhere!

Oooo! There was a cucumber one?! SmilingElephant I would have LOVED that! Dang!

Awww ilong your DGD sounds so cute. My DD is the same age-ish (6). V05 works so well on her very long hair. I might try it as a leave-in for myself. My hair hates them in general, but will see how it goes for a week since it seems to love this brand.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have a few bottles of the Moisture Milks and the Tea Therapy's I use to Rinse out Henna/Indigo. Various Scents.

Once they're finished, I am thinking about sticking to the Suave Tropical Coconut.

EnExitStageLeft

DarkJoy

Thanks for the heads up. I just copped two of those bad boys. They were 69cent at my CVS, Anyone else? I don't need anymore, so I had to restrain myself from buying alla' them :look: :lol:.

mshoneyfly

WOW!! I didn't realize there were so many different ones! I have:

Xtra Body (my favorite! My hair loves collagen) just got 4 bottles
Herbal escapes clarifying (kiwi lime)
Herbal escapes moisturizing (freesia)
Moisture milks (passion fruit smoothie) my DDs favorite, just got 2 bottles

Xtra body works really well for me. I have been using henna, amla and sukesh powder a lot lately. I use vo5 to wash out the mixture.

The kiwi lime has collagen too.I will give it a try soon

I will be visiting CVS ASAP tomorrow!! Just can't have enough of this stuff.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
There's a huge CVS near my job. I just might make that my lunch hour. The one near my house is small and only carries those 3. Cant wait! Affordable PJing is possible with V05! :lol::lick: