W"HIP" Length 2012 Challenge!

bebezazueta

SMH rririla and all that gorgeous hair!

I looked at your Reggie and maybe you can tweak it by using a ceramides rich oil to seal with instead of coconut oil. I can't explain but I retained less when I sealed with coconut oil. I now am back to a heavier one which is a half/half mix of sunflower oil (ceramides) & JBCO.

THANKS for joining us in your first challenge! LOL!

rririla

@bebezazueta,

LOL...Thanx but u already know my feelings on this hair....we can discuss that behind the scenes though:perplexed...

And you are right....I was using Wheat germ oil which smelled awful but worked well, I just never repurchased once the bottle was done b/c the stench was too much. All the other oils just kinda' sat on my hair or made my face breakout...I may have to just crack and buy another bottle because it did work well...thanx for jarring my memory!....

And thanx for having me....in response to ur last comment...lol:grin:

regina07

rririla - Welcome! Can't decide which side I like better -- straight or curly..both look good.

Y'know I seal with wgo in the summer. The stench doesn't last too long. For winter, I like shea butter/castor oil/EVCO because it's heavier.

Do you have breakage? Or is your hair maybe resting before it starts growing again?

rririla

[USER][/USER]
@rririla - Welcome! Can't decide which side I like better -- straight or curly..both look good.

Y'know I seal with wgo in the summer. The stench doesn't last too long. For winter, I like shea butter/castor oil/EVCO because it's heavier.

Do you have breakage? Or is your hair maybe resting before it starts growing again?

[USER][/USER]regina07

AWWWWWWW....Thank you for the input....and the compliment! So does your hair take on the smell of whatever leave-in u used before u sealed with the oil or does it just smell like nothing?.....I only used the oil in my deep conditioners because I thought it would linger. But I think I will try using it as a leave in. I will let you know how it goes.

As far as breakage, I was doing really well all last year and the beginning of 2011 but then......I did something very foolish with dye and my hair just broke like crazy so now I am starting to get my breakage under control again, but I feel like I would have been much further without the setback from AUG/SEPT OF 11'....ahhh well live and learn.....but I do appreciate ur advice...and I never know when my hair is in the resting ''phase'' as it seems to be always ''resting'' lol

regina07

rririla - WGO smells for about 5 min then the smell fades (or my nose got used to it!). i could always smell the peppermint oil I added to it tho'. I'd mix WGO with some sweet almond oil just to not use so much WGO.

it's funny -- Seeing your hair stuck at BSL reminds me of my hair. I could grow my hair to BSL in the blink of an eye but after that -- nothing. I thought BSL was terminal for me and it had stopped growing....until I realized that I was dying 1-1.5" of gray hair new growth every 6-8 weeks. DUH. My hair was growing just fine. I just wasn't retaining any length! Every bit of growth was evened out by the breakage.

You just need to figure out how to get over the hump of BSL. And you will .....

rririla

@ Jjamiah

I know that's why I am going to just shut up about it and see what happens with no heat or color and protective styling.....thanx for the push though...lol

@regina07

See, I still felt like I could smell the wgo when I had it mixed with Aubreys HSR...But I never tried adding essential oils to it...so I am going to try the peppermint and see what that does. My SO is a very sensitive to smell so I have to be careful or he gets migraines and upset stomach....he likes peppermint though:lick:....so this might be what helps me get over the bsl hump. Also I have no business coloring b/c I don't even have greys....I just like jet black hair....I did 2 Surya henna colors (within a week of each other) and then used Tints of Nature permanent color....*don't judge me*:look: I know I was stupid....I was feeling myself because I had been having really great progress as far as shedding and breakage up until that point and then I effed it up trying to be cute!....Well I am going to take you guys suggestions n see what happens....I also got some Qhemet Biologics which I love!!!! So we will see.

regina07

rririla -- oh girl, if your SO is sensitive to smell, I don't know about WGO! The peppermint oil will mask some of it but I bet he'll still get whiffs of WGO and think "DAYUM!" :)

No judgement on the permanent color! Like I said, I dye my greys every 6-8 weeks using Garnier Fructis permanent color. I just make sure to get the roots and follow up with some intense DC'ing.

I figure I'll do cute when my hair hangs on my old lady booty! Until then it's old lady buns.

rririla

[USER][/USER]regina07

^^^^^^ That is part of the reason I stopped using it also, he hated the smell, but if I dc'd with it I would make sure to wash it out...I am still trying to figure out a way to incorporate it though because I had great retention with it.....and I hear ya about the color, I am going to b the same way but first I need to get this hair back together.

I don't think it was the Tints of Nature per say, just the fact that I did like 3 color processes within a month of each other....smh wth was I thinking????....anyway, I will let you know how it works out. :yep:

JJamiah

I need to pay special attention to my edges this week they feel dry.

I am going to Treat my hair with DRC, then Steam in once of my very conditioning DC's Alter Ego mixed with Proclaim mask. Leave it in for 45 minutes. My edges are crying for moisture. Grrrrr.

JJamiah

My starting pic Won't take another until December 2012 I am going to work on my ends :), so Dusting and trims and extra conditioning. :)

Attachments

• 122011.jpg
    122011.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 100

Bun Mistress

^^ jealous

Did I mention I want in this challenge? Just when I thought no more in 2012. I guess I was wrong

ETA: I need a new pic, I have had a cut and a grown out since my avatar.

bebezazueta

JJamiah WOW! are you at hip on your way to booty length?! I'm buying me some wigs & hiding my hair too. I just can't cornrow at all. That's the only thing stopping me. Anywho your hair is gorgeous!!!!!!!

Bunmistress welcome! Thanks for joining us! I'll add your name later from my computer.

rririla

@JJamiah I second what BEBE said....u are on ur way to booty length lol...kutgw...love ur dedication to hiding ur hair, it is certainly paying off.:yep:

And [USER][/USER]regina07....you have some BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL hair too....I am buying my wgo tomorrow b/c I am off and can experiment...hopefully I will get similar results to what u did!!!!...Thanx again for the advice....

@bebezazueta....lemme know how those wigs work for u....I am going to try you n regina07 ceramides advice. wish me luck....

rririla

@bebezazueta...STOP THAT:nono2:....You are terrible, LOL, I refuse to believe you are Gina I don't care what u say!!!! :grin:

But errruhhhh.....you do need to find someone who cornrows to get that hair to lay down...hubby?...sister?...or you could learn on youtube....:yep:

Last edited:

JJamiah

rririla bebezazueta Thanks so much, rririla this is after I bunned it up, the first sent pics were of just fresh blow dried hair.

I think if Found the Culprit for the W. I wash my hair straight down the middle. AS of TODAY, I am going to wash my hair int he shower combed directly back and will check in 3 months to see if that issue has increased or decreased. When I washed my hair down flipped over I NEVER had this issue.

rririla

[USER][/USER]JJamiah....You don't have a ''real'' W...that looks like an optical illusion b/c I don't see it in the blow dry pic, only after u bunned and the hair shrunk a lil bit....but I wash my hair the same way so I will be very upset if it does, in fact cause the W effect...I will be watching this closely!:detective:

JJamiah

I told the Mr. I @rririla I notice this became a issue once I started parting down the middle. Keep an eye on it with me. But now I will be going in the shower bathing suit to wash my hair because I do some many steps I will be hopping in and out atleast 3-4 times LOL

U wash with a part down the middle?

See I comb the hair down? ALOT in this way.

rririla

@JJamiah...

^^^^^Yup. it makes my hair easier to wash and condition, (less tangles) Sometimes I think people get a W b/c that's where the skull sticks out further also known as a ''hook'', lol....but maybe it pushes the hair a lil further out or up (like how a ladies hemline might cock up in the back due to her booty making her skirt sit up higher in the middle?):lachen:....I could totally be wrong, after all I am seriously sleep deprived at the moment!!!!:yawn:

I hope I am wrong though, because I have a serious 'hook' in the back of my head!!!!

JJamiah

@JJamiah...

^^^^^Yup. it makes my hair easier to wash and condition, (less tangles) Sometimes I think people get a W b/c that's where the skull sticks out further also known as a ''hook'', lol....but maybe it pushes the hair a lil further out or up (like how a ladies hemline might cock up in the back due to her booty making her skirt sit up higher in the middle?):lachen:....I could totally be wrong, after all I am seriously sleep deprived at the moment!!!!:yawn:

I hope I am wrong though, because I have a serious 'hook' in the back of my head!!!!

I wash mine like that too but not any more, next wash is in shower.

NO nothing up with my head you so darn silly. :giggle:
I think it is the parting for My case and the combing down and brushing down. I think for my center it is a lot of pressure. I am going to try and see what happens :)

rririla

MissMasala5

My hair was WL until yesterday. I cut off my see-through ends and am left with the spot between BSL and MBL. Is my hair too short to be in this challenge? My goal is to get what I cut off back, but with care and attention, two things that slacked off towards start of summer 2011.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
My hair was WL until yesterday. I cut off my see-through ends and am left with the spot between BSL and MBL. Is my hair too short to be in this challenge? My goal is to get what I cut off back, but with care and attention, two things that slacked off towards start of summer 2011.

your hair is just right for this challenge. I wish I was between mbl and wl. I need a length check asap :(

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

bebezazueta

rririla I was thinking about you and looked over your Reggie & noticed you don't do protein treatments. I thought they helped with breakage from hair dye. Maybe Janet' can chime in since she is also a beautiful colored natural.

I just want us ALL to do well! :bighug:

rririla

@bebezazueta,

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions on corn row tutorials, I just know that some of the other ladies go on youtube to learn how to do certain styles....I think there are some men on there that were doing a good job of teaching b/c you know they aren't made to learn that as kids....that might help, I think I saw something the other day...I will look and get back to you....

Also, I use henna and I read online that it "acts" as a protein so I shouldn't use any additional protein or it could cause extreme dryness,(I am protein sensitive) but I used to use Nexxus emergency before I started henna-ing and that was ok, but I like henna better. Thank you for the suggestion though. You are always so helpful:bighug:

Last edited:

constance

Here's my starting pic. I straightened with a curling iron so it's not bone straight but the length is pretty much accurate~@ 1.5-2 inches below WL. Looks like I need another 3 inches to HL (where my hand is resting).

Lovely hair in this thread!

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
OooOOoooOOOkay here is my starting pic and regi for this challenge. :yep:

A) List your Reggie
I will continue with protective styles in wigs 100% of the time and keeping up with my moisture and protein balance.

B) # of inches til whip or hip length
I am 4 inches to WL and 6 inches to WHIP

C) Tell us your LHCF HL goal idol
oooOOoooOOOooo :grin: Toy NJoy and a few others. :look:

Attachments

• 120311164258.jpg
    120311164258.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 39