~~~waist Length Dreams~~~ Challenge 2018

trclemons

Current Length: APL

Ultimate Goal:
HL

Regimen:
Nightly =
LCO and use butter/pomade on ends, baggy & massage scalp. NOTE: A protein spritz is used for the "L" on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays and moisture spritz is used on the other days.
Tuesdays = Wet plaits & pre-poo with cowash conditioner under heat cap for 30 minutes; wash scalp & plaits while rinsing out cowash conditioner; add in moisturizing conditioner and rinse out 80% of it with cold water; dry in turbie 30 minutes & air dry 1 hour; LCO and use butter/pomade on ends, baggy & massage scalp.
Biweekly Non-Shampoo Saturdays = On Friday night, take plaits out; spritz hair with AVJ/water/Infusium 23/ginger oil mix & re-plait; baggy overnight. On Saturday morning, take out plaits & apply DC relaxer style & sit under heat cap for 1 hour; cowash scalp & hair; add in moisturizing conditioner and rinse out 80% of it with cold water; dry in turbie 30 minutes & air dry 1 hour; LCO and use butter/pomade on ends, plait hair & let it air dry; spritz (if hair has dried), baggy and massage scalp at bedtime.
Biweekly Shampoo Saturdays = On Friday night, take plaits out; spritz hair with AVJ/water/Infusium 23/ginger oil mix, apply oil & re-plait; baggy overnight. On Saturday morning, take out plaits & apply DC relaxer style & sit under heat cap for 1 hour; shampoo scalp & cowash hair; apply reconstructor & shave; add ACV rinse & shower; add in moisturizing conditioner and rinse out 80% of it with cold water; dry in turbie 30 minutes & air dry 1 hour; LCO and use butter/pomade on ends, plait hair & let it air dry; spritz (if hair has dried), baggy & massage scalp at bedtime.

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL:

Natural/Relaxed/Other: Natural

Tips/Tricks: 100% protective styling

Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Trying to learn when my hair needs dusting/trimming.

Starting Pic: Will post at the end of December.

Last edited:

nerdography

Current Length: I'm currently a HL natural, but I'm getting a relaxer and getting it cut to BSL Thanksgiving week.
Ultimate Goal: HL

Regimen:
Nightly: Lightly mist hair with sweet almond oil and detangle with natural bone comb. And massage scalp.
Weekly: Shampoo and condition
Biweekly: Hot oil treatment with avocado oil
Monthly: Protein treatment and moisturizing deep conditioner.
Quarterly: Get a touch up.

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 6 inches
Natural/Relaxed/Other: Relaxed
Tips/Tricks: N/A
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: N/A
Starting Pic:
Will post the first week of January.

nubiangoddess3

I'm in...

Current Length:
APL
Ultimate Goal: Wasit Length

Regimen:
Every other Night: Moisturize hair and seal with Castor oil
Weekly: Shampoo and condition while in braids
Monthly: Take down braids, detangle hair, Clarify, Protein treatment and moisturizing deep conditioner then back to cornrows and wig

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 11 inches
Tips/Tricks: Low Manipulation + Protective Styling with wigs
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more:
N/Ahttp://blacknaps.org/low-manipulation-protective-hairstyling/
Starting Pic: Getting my hair straighten for my 3 year natural anniversary in February

Nevacontent

Hello Ladies,

I have been MIA, but I'm back and ready for the challenge.

Current Length: Neck length

Ultimate Goal: WL

Regimen: Wash and deep condition my hair 2x per week (Sundays & Wednesdays).
On Sundays, add-in an oil rinse (rotate between Castor Oil & Coconut Oil) using a heating cap.
Use leave-in conditioner and a heat protectant (blow dry hair on low).
Use JBCO with essential oils on scalp and edges at least 4x per week.
Protective styling by either wearing a wig or phony pony.

I'm also using Keracare products. I plan on using a Clarifying Shampoo 1x per month since I'm using Keracare's Sulfate-free Hydrating Shampoo.

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 12-14" (estimate)

Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL) Texlax but transitioning to natural.

Tips/Tricks: As diagnosed by my doctor, I have alopecia - which he thinks might be stress related. During 2014, my body wasn't absorbing any nutrients, therefore, under his direction and supervision, my vitamins are as follows: Vit C (3 grams per day), Vit B, Biotion (5 - 10 grams per day), Chlorella (9 grams per day) and Vit D (50,000 IU - 1x per week. My levels were extremely low, which have now improved), and to follow the Bullet Proof Diet as much as possible.

He also prescribed Spironolactone, to help with my high blood pressure and for hair growth, as those are the side effects of the medicine.

Exercise at least 4x a week and incorporate protein shakes.

Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Protein sensitive, so making sure to do a wet hair strand after every wash.

Starting Pic:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I just added my starting pic and inches to my post (#3).

Anybody trying anything new on the growth aid front? I've used sulfur and MN in the past. This time I plan to incorporate rosemary oil, peppermint oil, and ylang ylang oil (since I already own these 3.)

Fhrizzball

Current Length: BSL. The top of my brastrap to be specific
Ultimate Goal: Fully shoulder length wash and go. No clue what that'll equate to straight as I'm still necklength curly
Regimen: Loose two strand twists with wash and goes thrown in. I wing it as I go
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 6-7 inches
Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL) Natural
Tips/Tricks: Mainly fingerdetangle and cowash and oil rinse more
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Breakage and knots
Starting Pic: Will post at the end of the year.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
So I've been consistent with my protein shakes and higher protein foods. I'm consuming about 70-80 grams per day, which is a far cry from what it used to be. I think I will up this to 100. I might need to invest in some higher protein meal bars. Also, I found a nice new multivitamin and a decent hair/skin/nails vitamin. I'm going to be very consistent with these. I want to retain 3 inches by end of summer next year.

Thinking about installing some braids in January...not sure. I think my hair benefits from little to no manipulation.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I'm in again, I still haven't made it past APL,SMH. I have extension but I will definitely post a pic before end of yr.

Ultimate Goal: TL
Regimen: Wash and deep condish once per wk. Add leave in and seal with Shea Butter.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 7
Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL) Natural
Tips/Tricks: My hair thrive when I'm consistent. Keep ends protected.
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Im going to commit to bunning 24/7 and weekly deep conditioning...Also hoping a change in my diet will help me retain.
Starting Pic: to be continued

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm in. I'll edit with my starting pick after I ask DH to take it:

Regimen: Wash 1-2x per week. DC overnight, shampoo, detangle with rinse out conditioner, and style. Typically, I bun or do 2 crown braids. In the summer, I wash n go on the weekend.

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: ?

Natural/Relaxed/Other: natural

Tips/Tricks: low manipulation

Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: My nape and crown break easily. The back middle of my hair tangles easily too.

Starting Pic:

Last edited:

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
I would like to join. I can't post my starting pic now because I'm in a sew in but I will post as soon as I take this out (this Friday).

Current Length: Middle Back Length
Ultimate Goal: Waist Length
Regimen: Protective styling with wigs (no more sew ins). Washing and deep conditioning once a week. Rebraiding beehive braids under my wig every two month. Taking manetabolism. oiling scalp with castor oil every other night.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: about another 12 inches
Natural/Relaxed/Other: natural
Tips/Tricks: protective style
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: oiling scalp with castor oil.
Starting Pic: Coming once i take my sew in out

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
So I've been consistent with my protein shakes and higher protein foods. I'm consuming about 70-80 grams per day, which is a far cry from what it used to be. I think I will up this to 100. I might need to invest in some higher protein meal bars. Also, I found a nice new multivitamin and a decent hair/skin/nails vitamin. I'm going to be very consistent with these. I want to retain 3 inches by end of summer next year.

Thinking about installing some braids in January...not sure. I think my hair benefits from little to no manipulation.

Hmm maybe that's what I'm missing, more protein in my diet, I need to look into that. In the mean time, I've revised my vitamin reggie. I'm placing my order Friday for Spirulina, Bamboo tea, Marine Collagen, Fish Oil. I've been pretty consistent with drinking 32oz of Green Juice every morning, I figure I can add the Spirulina to that. I may or may not add a vitamin d, but for the next 3 months I'm going to see how this work out for me.

snoop

I'm in. And this time I will make it! I'll add my info when I get to my laptop.

------

Updating to include my stats:

Current Length: MBL
Ultimate Goal:
HL
Regimen:

Clay wash or shampoo wash weekly -- shampoo wash on days where I do protein treatments.
Protein treatments every second week until the end of the year. Monthly starting in 2016.
Water rinse 1-2+ times in between washes.
Spritz with Giovanni Direct Leave-In+water and moisturize daily.
Keep hair in protective style 95% of the time.​
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: Approx 4"
Natural/Relaxed/Other:
Natural
Tips/Tricks: Finger combing when restyling. Using a comb to detangle 4 times a year. Leaving it alone as much as possible. Tucking in/covering my ends as much as possible.
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more:
Need to fill in my front edges (destroyed in post partum shedding.)
Starting Pic:

Attachments

• 20151018_193249.jpg
    20151018_193249.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 201510_Hair_2.jpg
    201510_Hair_2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

PlainJane

Hopefully this will keep me disciplined.
Current Length: Grazing APL

Ultimate Goal: WL (honestly will settle for MBL)

Regimen:
Pretty simple. Finish transitioning, keep hair up at night. M&S at least every other night. Cowash and DC weekly. Clarify when needed. Stay away from heat by doing updos, out styles, and roller sets. Oil scalp when needed.

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 7 ins until MBL

Natural/Relaxed/Other: Transitioning - 23 months post

Tips/Tricks: Dont be afraid to trim

Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: I'm so hair lazy sometimes so nightly routines are hard for me and I'm style challenged so giving up heat is hard.

Starting Pic: Im going to trim first

Jade Feria

I've been gone for a minute, now I'm back with the jumpoff!
Time to focus on my hair again, like for real. Count me in!

Current Length: Just past BSL
Ultimate Goal: Full, healthy WL
Regimen: DC every 2 weeks at most, protective styles (my self-made wigs over cornrows are my go-to), Manetabolism vitamins and iron supplements, high protein diet and drinking lots of water, but overall, keeping it super simple
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: About 4-6 (V-shape)
Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL) Last texlax was October 2014..So somewhere in between?
Tips/Tricks: Patience!
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Staying consistent with my regimen. We gon' make it though!
Starting Pic: Coming soon

Chazz

Current Length:Twa

Regimen: cowash 2x a week, dc 2x a week
use a cleanse conditioner as need
oil scalp 3x a week
Keep it in twists for til SL (2 weeks) i will be rock a wig.
I will be wear my hair out, to give it a break.(1 week in a wash n go then back in a twist's-)
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: Alot

Natural/Relaxed/Other: natural four/ second big chop

Tips/Tricks:n/a

Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: strand knot, keep my edge from break off.

Starting Pic: later

Aggie

I'm in:

Current Length:
SL

Ultimate Goal:
WL (like another poster said, MBL would suffice - honestly)

Regimen:
I will be wearing wigs and half wigs over cornrowed or celies hair. Deep Treat once every 3-4 weeks, Co-wash my cornrows 1-2 times a week, Clarify once a month, Oil scalp 2-3 times a week with jbco and some other sulfur/MN concoction.

Oh my Goodness! Quite A Bit! Something like 26" or more.

Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL)
Very Very Mildly Texlaxed once every 8-12 months!

Tips/Tricks:
Ain't gat none up my sleeves at the moment but I will say this - my vitamin regimen is what's helping my hair at the moment.

Time to massage my scalp, washing and DCing, Moisturizing my hair, time for pretty much everything to do with my hair. IDK! I'm pushing myself here but I have to try.

Starting Pic:
I don't care for this but I guess I can post it by the end of the year. I'm convinced that length checks jinx my progress, so I don't like them too much:nono:.

WaistLengthDreams

I want in on this challenge!

Current Length: BSL
Ultimate Goal: Hip Length
Regimen: I'm still working on fine tuning my regimen, but currently I'm aiming to Deep condition 2x a week. Light Protein every other week. Shampoo/Clarify once a Month. Co-wash as needed. Moisture and seal as often as possible.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: I probably have 4-5 inches until I'm full waist length.
Natural/Relaxed/Other: Relaxed
Tips/Tricks: JBCO/EVOO scalp massages several times a week.
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: I just did a major trim due to thinning ends (again). I'm hoping the deep conditioning 2x a week will help to minimize the breakage that was causing my ends to thin.
Starting Pic:October 2015 Length Check.jpeg

Aggie

I'm in. This is where I need to be.
Current Length: Fresh trim to APL
Ultimate Goal: Waist, Baby!
Regimen:

• Every 2 weeks Wash, DC, maybe future steamer
  • Twistouts, braidouts, buns.
  • Products - L'oreal Hyaluronic shampoo, Joico MR Treatment Balm DC, Neutrogena Triple Moisture, Mizani Thermasmooth Smooth Guard, Aussie Moist
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 7"
Tips/Tricks: Low manipulation, prepoo always with Aussie Moist, growth aids
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Attempting to be a "blowdry" natural and only styling on stretched hair. Personal challenge to break my dependence on wigs.
Starting Pic:

My homemade length check shirt. It's rudimentary, but functional!
Love the shirt @HappyAtLast. I think I will be making one of those for myself...:yep:

HappyAtLast

@Prettymetty, how long is each session when you do your inversions?
@Aggie @Prettymetty
I dug into my favorite natural health book (I've been using it for about 15 yrs) this weekend and just so happen to look up hair growth. It actually recommends inversion. It says "Lie down on a slant board 15 minutes a day to allow the blood to reach your scalp. Massage your scalp daily."

My Total Gym reaches a high slant, so I'm going to see if I can do 15 minutes.

HappyAtLast

I'm in:

Oh my Goodness! Quite A Bit! Something like 26" or more.

Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL)
Very Very Mildly Texlaxed once every 8-12 months!

Noooo, that can't be right unless you're like 7 feet tall! Do you mean 26 centimeters, which is around 10 inches?

Aggie

@Aggie @Prettymetty
I dug into my favorite natural health book (I've been using it for about 15 yrs) this weekend and just so happen to look up hair growth. It actually recommends inversion. It says "Lie down on a slant board 15 minutes a day to allow the blood to reach your scalp. Massage your scalp daily."

My Total Gym reaches a high slant, so I'm going to see if I can do 15 minutes.
Thanks for this hun. What's the name of the natural health book by the way?