~~~waist Length Dreams~~~ Challenge 2018

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Good and Bad News.. I made it to Waist length but it is so THIN.. from root to tip due to my health issues, I am not even claiming this... UGH... Cutting it to Bra or Mid Back.. hoping to treat and thicken up my hair some. I am going to have to start doing protein treatments monthly as well as being a straight natural for a while.
@JJamiah can we get some pics before you make that decision?! Lawd, WL is a lot of work...maybe its lead hairs or something girl.

snoop

You right :cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3:
I thought it would end up okay but nooooo

My natural hair cannot be Senegalese twisted and I learned the hard way :cry3::cry3:

@Froreal3 @faithVA

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, this is the only way I know how to twist. Not sure I discovered this twisting method -- I guess, trial and error. I live in twists 95% of the time and since I self twist I have that problem. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get around tangled ends... if I figure it out, I'll let you know. :sad:

faithVA

You twist each strand before twisting them together as opposed to just twisting the two strands together.
Why does that cause tangles? I thought that would prevent tangles. That is the way I twist my hair because it just looks better. Does it tangle when it gets longer?

snoop

Why does that cause tangles? I thought that would prevent tangles. That is the way I twist my hair because it just looks better. Does it tangle when it gets longer?

The length doesn't tangle just the very, very end. I don't know why. It's difficult to get that first bit separated to be able to start unraveling. It could be the way that I personally do it, but I don'tknow how to do regular two strand twists to be able to compare. Sounds silly doesn't it?

I have very cottony 4c hair, though. I think texture is part of the issue. My hair will look for ways to grab and bind to itself. Also,+ I style sans comb -- fingers only.

faithVA

The length doesn't tangle just the very, very end. I don't know why. It's difficult to get that first bit separated to be able to start unraveling. It could be the way that I personally do it, but I don'tknow how to do regular two strand twists to be able to compare. Sounds silly doesn't it?

I have very cottony 4c hair, though. I think texture is part of the issue. My hair will look for ways to grab and bind to itself. Also,+ I style sans comb -- fingers only.
Ok I understand. I separate from the root so I haven't had this issue.

mayoo

@snoop @faithVA
I have pretty thin strands so my hair basically tangled from root to tip :cry3::cry3:

The strands were just wrapping together and it felt like I was trying to separate young dreadlocks by hand :look:

In short..... never again

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I did a search and destroy today (lengthening day Morrocco method). Then I sprayed my scalp with Xcel21 and put on a slap cap. I'll see if the trim helps with detangling next wash day.

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
I have in the micro mini twist right now and I must say I am sooooo on lobe with them. Ive had them on for anout 2 weeks. I twisted on dry stretched hair. I used my whipped shea butter and Veda Creme Brulee. I checked to be sure that they were not tangled and THEY ARE STILL PERFECT!!! I think this is a new favorite of mines!

mayoo

I've been wearing wash-and-gos for the past couple of weeks.

Funny enough, I haven't seen any breakage despite not using any product in my hair.
The first few times I put a thin oil in my hair but not anymore. It's not really needed.
I never thought there'd be a time where I would be walking around with hair with no product in it but here I am
I haven't washed my hair in a little while so my scalp is kind of itchy. I'll probably wash it tomorrow.

mayoo

Today's wash-and-go ponytails

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
This month's DC schedule.
Week 1: Cristalliste (done) 2/1
Week 2: Densite (done) 2/8
Week 3: Therapiste
Week 4: Chroma Riche

I'll be using Kerastase shampoos or Herbal Essences Color me happy shampoo.

Last edited:

Daina

Haven't posted here in awhile but will be getting my hair silk wrapped and trimmed on Friday. Will post an update post trim. Currently the middle of my "V" is WL, I suspect after the trim I will be hovering above.

sgold04

IMG_7932.JPG My hair was waist length before my recent trim, but now I'm back to mid-back length :( I cannot seem to retain beyond the 15-17 inches range (20 inches is WL on me, and I was before my cut). While the deep trim was very much needed, it's still frustrating. I didn't do a proper measurement while straight but it's about 15 inches measured from my nape.

I might need to PS more, and I'm thinking of trimming/dusting more frequently to get rid of ssks (3x a year instead of once or twice). Summers here are ridiculous, so Ill probably do crochet braids May-Sept.

charmtreese

View attachment 390393 My hair was waist length before my recent trim, but now I'm back to mid-back length :( I cannot seem to retain beyond the 15-17 inches range (20 inches is WL on me, and I was before my cut). While the deep trim was very much needed, it's still frustrating. I didn't do a proper measurement while straight but it's about 15 inches measured from my nape.

I might need to PS more, and I'm thinking of trimming/dusting more frequently to get rid of ssks (3x a year instead of once or twice). Summers here are ridiculous, so Ill probably do crochet braids May-Sept.

Pretty hair!!

How tall are you? I'm curious because my hair is about 16.25 inches and I was thinking that 3-4 inches would put me at waist length (I'm 5'7 by the way).

sgold04

Pretty hair!!

How tall are you? I'm curious because my hair is about 16.25 inches and I was thinking that 3-4 inches would put me at waist length (I'm 5'7 by the way).
Thank you!! I enjoyed my straight hair, but I think I need to take the plunge and get design essentials strengthening treatment, nola humidity killed my press. I'm 5'11, I have long legs but kind of a high waist I think. WL isn't too far away from BSL on me.

Tefnut

OK, is this what you're talking about? http://info.designessentials.com/new-sts-express-system-1

Do you know anyone who's tried it? Did their hair revert back?

I'm a couple of inches shorter than you. Curious, how many inches is BSL to WL for you?

Thank you!! I enjoyed my straight hair, but I think I need to take the plunge and get design essentials strengthening treatment, nola humidity killed my press. I'm 5'11, I have long legs but kind of a high waist I think. WL isn't too far away from BSL on me.

sgold04

OK, is this what you're talking about? http://info.designessentials.com/new-sts-express-system-1

Do you know anyone who's tried it? Did their hair revert back?

I'm a couple of inches shorter than you. Curious, how many inches is BSL to WL for you?
I tried it a couple years ago at the salon and it worked wonders.

BSL for me is about 14"
Mid-back is 16/17"
WSL is 20"

So it's 6 inches from BSL to WL on me.

Tefnut

OK, we're similar.

BSL is 5 inches (5.25 to be exact) from WL on me. I think my measurements at each length are pretty similar to yours. I'll see when I take down my braids next week.

Oh, and did you're hair revert after you tried the DE treatment? Was your hair looser or the same?

I tried it a couple years ago at the salon and it worked wonders.

BSL for me is about 14"
Mid-back is 16/17"
WSL is 20"

So it's 6 inches from BSL to WL on me.

sgold04

OK, we're similar.

BSL is 5 inches (5.25 to be exact) from WL on me. I think my measurements at each length are pretty similar to yours. I'll see when I take down my braids next week.

Oh, and did you're hair revert after you tried the DE treatment? Was your hair looser or the same?
Oh yes, forgot to answer that question lol. Yes my hair reverted back completely after maybe 2 shampoos (I didn't chelate). My hair wasn't damaged at all, the treatment just stays in for a while. It made detangling easier.

Tefnut

OK, that's good to know.

I've been wear my hair coily for the past couple of years and don't want any heat or curl damage if I decide to switch it up.

Oh yes, forgot to answer that question lol. Yes my hair reverted back completely after maybe 2 shampoos (I didn't chelate). My hair wasn't damaged at all, the treatment just stays in for a while. It made detangling easier.

sgold04

OK, that's good to know.

I've been wear my hair coily for the past couple of years and don't want any heat or curl damage if I decide to switch it up.
I loved this product. I was under an umbrella in the rain and my hair was still straight! I wanted to get some myself, but it was difficult to find and then I saw the price. This was a while ago though, I've tried cheaper alternatives since then and they aren't the same. So next press, this is what I will be using.

ETA: and I wear my hair natural 90% of the time, so I was afraid of damage too. The only thing to be concerned about would be heat damage.

charmtreese

Where is everyone measuring WL on their body? This might be a strange question, but what part on your body do you actually mark waist length. I usually use the bottom of my rib or elbow (which on me are pretty much in the same area). I've seen some people use their belly button as the WL marker. Is there a real consensus? Are there any seamstress in here?

Daina

Where is everyone measuring WL on their body? This might be a strange question, but what part on your body do you actually mark waist length. I usually use the bottom of my rib or elbow (which on me are pretty much in the same area). I've seen some people use their belly button as the WL marker. Is there a real consensus? Are there any seamstress in here?

Great question, I'd like to know as well!

Tefnut

I measure "true" WL on me as the place where it dips in on the side and is the smallest. My elbows are in the same area.

I've considered right above the dip area to be WL too since it's in the region.

sgold04

I measure "true" WL on me as the place where it dips in on the side and is the smallest. My elbows are in the same area.

I've considered right above the dip area to be WL too since it's in the region.
Same, where my curve starts. My elbows fall in that same area.