~~~waist Length Dreams~~~ Challenge 2018

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Ok ladies! You asked for it!

:bdance:Welcome to Waist Length Dreams!

This is a continuation of the Waist Length challenge started back in 2013! Congrats to those who've made it! To those who haven't...Let's GET IT! This is a two year challenge to give everyone time to grow grow grow, so even if you're SL or APL right now, you just never know know know (what may happen in two years) :yep:

This challenge is now extended for another year (I just changed the title for the upcoming year 2018).

The new check in dates are posted below. You can join at any time during this year, but I will stop updating the challengers list March 1, 2018.

To join, LIKE THIS POST, and post the following:

Current Length:
Ultimate Goal:
Regimen:
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL:
Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL)
Tips/Tricks:
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more:
Starting Pic:

You aren't an OFFICIAL challenger w/out a starting pic!

We will have the following check ins for 2018

April 30
August 31
December 31

Challengers List:
@ezina
@HappyAtLast
@JJamiah
@prettybyrd
@bebezazueta
@Froreal3
@charmtreese Congrats! :gorgeous:
@Nightingale
@CluelessJL
@~*~ShopAholic~*~
@rafikichick92
@angelhairtype4
@Prettymetty
@fifigirl
@Chazz
@xxlalaxx
@julzinha
@GrenadianGal
@TraciChanel
@Royalq
@Kimbosheart
@Rastafarai
@SpicyPisces
@Kerryann
@Caramel74
@llan
@trclemons
@nerdography
@Fhrizzball
@Nevacontent
@nubiangoddess3
@Firstborn2
@WaistLengthDreams
@uofmpanther
@NaturallyBri87
@snoop
@PlainJane
@Jade Feria
@Chazz
@Aggie
@melisandre
@bronxsoloist
@kupenda
@morgandenae
@Benuontherise
@NaturalfienD
@traceedeebee
@KidneyBean86
@SouthernStunner
@nyeredzi
@ResultsMayVary
@ajoke
@bluenvy
@LoveArianna
@FollicleFanatic

@shortdub78

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Current Length: BSB
Ultimate Goal: WL
Regimen: Shampoo once a week to every two weeks, DC once a week to every two weeks. Detangle every two weeks. Protein every two weeks. Moisturize and seal every few days. Style in twists, bun, or some other updo.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 6
Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL) Natural
Tips/Tricks: None
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: I'm having issues retaining for the past two years for some reason. I've increased my protein intake and my external protein treatments to see if that helps. I will also be taking a vitamin again because I retained/grew pretty well when I was taking them.
Starting Pic:LC OCt 2015.jpg

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I'm in. This is where I need to be.
Current Length: Fresh trim to APL
Ultimate Goal: Waist, Baby!
Regimen:

• Every 2 weeks Wash, DC, maybe future steamer
  • Twistouts, braidouts, buns.
  • Products - L'oreal Hyaluronic shampoo, Joico MR Treatment Balm DC, Neutrogena Triple Moisture, Mizani Thermasmooth Smooth Guard, Aussie Moist
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 7"
Natural/Relaxed/Other: Natural
Tips/Tricks: Low manipulation, prepoo always with Aussie Moist, growth aids
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Attempting to be a "blowdry" natural and only styling on stretched hair. Personal challenge to break my dependence on wigs.
Starting Pic:

My homemade length check shirt. It's rudimentary, but functional!

Last edited:

JJamiah

I am in.. :)
I am going to use this to block my spot. I am not straightening my hair until the end of this year or for my Birthday weekend in January ... LOL :)

Current Length: BSL
Ultimate Goal: Waist Length is it...
Regimen: Low Maintenance, wash weekly, deep condition weekly.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: Soon to come
Tips/Tricks:
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Health issues are making things complicated.
Starting Pic: Soon to come

Last edited:

prettybyrd

Okay, so I'm going for it. :)

Current Length:
CBL almost APL

Ultimate Goal:
HL

Regimen:

Prepoo, cleanse, deep condition once a week; rinse/co-wash 3-4 times a week; plait M/S nightly

12 inches

Natural/Relaxed/Other:
Natural

Tips/Tricks:
Ayurveda treatments, lots of TLC of the ends, and using the GHE method

Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more:

I am always very picky about my ends, and I tend to cut my hair at the drop of a hat. This attitude keeps me from retaining length. I am going to be more patient and stop being so type A about my ends. Also, my edges, while much better than they have been, are still a bit thin.

I am going be better about putting my hair up at night. Going to bed without a sleeping cap, wrap, or satin pillow case means my hair gets smashed and matted then I get SSKs and detangling is painful with lots of breakage. I have to be smarter about my hair care and not be lazy at night.

Starting Pic:

I will not be using heat to straighten my hair next year, so my length checks will be of me with a WNG stretching my hair to show my length. I will post a pic tomorrow after I do my hair in the morning.

bebezazueta

Current Length: between SL & APL (ETA: I'm passed APL & approaching BSL! Surprised!)
Ultimate Goal: TBL stretched
Regimen: still trying to come up with one. I do wash and gos and I'm style challenged.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: I think 6 or 7 inches
Natural/Relaxed/Other: natural
Tips/Tricks: keep scalp clean
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: laziness. LOL
Starting Pic:

Last edited:

ezina

Current Length:
Full BSL.

Ultimate Goal:
Waist length at the minimum (the longer the better, but I wont be as hard on myself if/when I reach lengths past waist length).

Regimen:
Nothing much: Bun. Wash hair after a week or two; in between, spritz hair with water every morning. Rinse and repeat.

Not sure. Waist length feels like a mile away on my body. I will be maintaining at MBL until all my heat damage is gone.

Natural/Relaxed/Other:
Natural.

Tips/Tricks:
Protect them ends, baby...and watch out for high heat tools.

I need to protect my edges better and be more watchful of my ends. I also need to be less rough when detangling. It always seems like I'm washing my hair in a hurry.

Starting Pic: Will post around January.

Last edited:

charmtreese

Current Length: Full APL/grazing BSL
Ultimate Goal: WSL
Regimen: Bi-weekly washing which include a prepoo, deep conditioning, and protein treatment (if needed)
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: not sure, maybe 5-6 inches
Tips/Tricks: daily vitamins and consistent regimen
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: slow growth, retention seems to be ok.
Starting Pic:image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Current Length: APL

Ultimate Goal:
HL

Regimen:

1-2 weekly: Oil prepoo (steam when possible), wash (shampoo or water rinse), steam DC every wash.
Nightly: Spray hair with oil and band
Monthly: Protein treatment

8-9 inches

Natural/Relaxed/Other:
Natural

Tips/Tricks:
no direct heat & cleanse scalp weekly

Issues or difficulties/Things you're tweaking to retain more:
learning patience, figure out when and how to trim

Starting Pic:
taken 11/25/15. waist length is at the 11 inch mark on this tshirt
15Nov25LengthCheck.jpg

Last edited:

CluelessJL

I'm in!

Ultimate Goal: Full, thick WL with good ends! (Although I'll probably still feel like I have short hair and want to keep going!)
Regimen: Still learning/adjusting. I currently wash once a week with shampoo, DC and oil rinse, but I change the products. I am extremely style challenged; I've been wearing nothing but twist outs for all of 2015 but I'm sick of them now!
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: About 6-8 I think, but I have at least a couple of inches of raggly ends to lose too.
Natural/Relaxed/Other: Relaxed, with a few inches of texlaxed & new growth.
Tips/Tricks: I'm hoping to pick some up rather than having any to share!
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: My hair sheds. A lot. I've tried garlic, protein, tea rinses and scalp exfoliation but nothing has helped yet. I need to get that under control.
Starting Pic: attached.

Attachments

• 20151105_091249.jpg
    20151105_091249.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 255

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I'm In :D

Current Length:
APL
Ultimate Goal: Full Thick WL
Regimen: Still Learning, but essentially, Fortnightly, Prepoo with Conditioner + Coconut Oil. Shampoo. Deep Condition, Leave Ins and Grease. I don't change products as I've found stuff that's eliminated excessive breakage but I need to work on my techniques.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 10 inches in the back, 14 from the front/top
Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL): Natural but I'm not particularly tied to it.
Tips/Tricks: Long Term Protective Styling pretty much straight through it
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: I want to learn how to install Long Term Protective Style my hair myself. About a year ago, I lost a lot of hair to stress and my hair thinned out considerably. Some patches were just see-through. I've grown out the worst of it but I have a sort of line of thin ends that I need to get rid of.
Starting Pic: I don't have any straightened pics to hand, may have a couple of twist out photos that I can dig out.

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
Regimen: Deep Conditioning weekly and keeping my hair braided or twisted for 2-4 weeks.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 5-6 Inches (I will be back with a more accurate measurement)
Natural/Relaxed/Other (OPTIONAL): Natural
Tips/Tricks: Protective Styling and GHE
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Last year I realized my hair grows pretty well regardless of how my diet is, so my lack of growth over the last year is purely a retention issue on my behalf. I'm fixing this by keeping my hair tucked away in braids or twists.
Starting Pic: Coming Soon

Rastafarai

I'm in. I'm also a part of the 12 inch in 12 months challenge so if I can succeed in getting 12 inches I will definitely attain waist length!

Current Length: BSL/MBL Stretched, APL Unstretched
Ultimate Goal: MBL UNSTRETCHED or Waist-length STRETCHED
Regimen:
Pre-Poo: Rhassoul Clay with Kapoor Kachli (I just love this scent!)
Wash: Every three weeks.
Deep Condition: Every three weeks during the winter and every two weeks during the warmer months.
Protein Treatments: Every three months.
Style: Braids/Twists/Braid-outs. I will try and keep the Wash-n-Gos at a minimum as I note my hair best responds when it isn't manipulated on a daily basis.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: I have so much shrinkage but once stretched I am about 6-8 inches away depending on my layers.
Tips/Tricks: Keeping my ends moisturized at all times. Washing in sections. Minimizing use of brushes/combs until wash day. Sleeping with a silk bonnet. Low manipulation. Little to no trimming.
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Being Patient with my hair and treating my ends delicately. In addition, my biggest difficulty is finding styles that are protective and attractive. I am hoping the added length will help with style versatility
Starting Pic: Please see avatar pic.

Last edited:

Caramel74

Regimen: Shampoo every 3-4 days; Conditioner wash every day; apply infusium leave-in conditioner, seal w/ argan oil; pre poo/deep condition when needed with EVOO and Olive Miracle breakage formula; Wet bun as protective style and wash n go loose every three days.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 8-10
Tips/Tricks: Instead of chopping my hair off, I treat it, and I limit heat to no more than 2x a month. And it's mostly in a wet bun after I conditioner wash, moisturize and seal.
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: My hair is very fine so it has a mind of it's own and I have to be very delicate with it. I'm refusing to cut it even though I don't have that straight across look because no matter how many times I cut it to even it, I end up back where I started, lol
Starting Pic:
Length Check 30 Oct 2015.jpg

Last edited:

Kimbosheart

Oooh fun, I was just remarking about how pretty and long my hair was earlier this year before I cut it. It will be fun to grow it back.

Current Length:

Full Shoulder Length

Ultimate Goal:
Waist length stretched, MBL unstretched (lol, I never wear my curls)

Regimen:
Hair dresser every other week. I'll once per quarter. I do my own shampoo, conditioner and leave-in, I'll add the heat protector and let her straighten and style it. I will use claudie's elixir every other night and just be sure to keep moisturizing and sealing my ends. I usually style my hair in a bun or braid. Having someone else dry and straighten means I don't have to put anymore heat on it until the next wash and I won't get tire, impatient and unnecessarily rough with my hair. During the summer, I usually do braids or some other protective style.

12 inches, but my hair has bayalage highlights throughout so I suspect I will have to cut some of that out over time.

Natural/Relaxed/Other:
Heat Straightened Natural

Tips/Tricks:
The easier your regimen, the more long-term success you will have. Pin curls, bantu knots and braids are your friends.

Patience! I need to repurchase quality conditioners, keeping in mind protein and moisture balance. I also need to balance out my diet again as I was never great about taking growth aid supplements.

Starting Pic
: I will post soon.

It's good to be back on the hair board.

Royalq

Current Length: bra strap
Ultimate Goal: 24 inches of hair
Regimen: joico treatment balm, qhemet amla cream, water oil spritz.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 9
Natural/Relaxed/Other: natural (OPTIONAL)
Tips/Tricks: moisturize every night, keep hair stretched
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: issues with ssks and styling
Starting Pic:

Last edited:

TraciChanel

I'm in! ...out of lurkdom, lol. Here's my information:

Length: BSB/BSL
Ultimate Goal: Whip length
Regimen: hiding my hair till January (crown and glory method) and will alternate between wet buns when it gets warmer. DC biweekly w/ heat, LOC method.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 6? Not sure.

(OPTIONAL)
Tips/Tricks:
I'll also be using MSM as a supplement.
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: My crown is a lot shorter than the rest of my hair :(

Starting Pic: Below
image.jpeg

GrenadianGal

On my haircare journey
Saving my spot

Current Length: just above APL
Regimen: wash and deep condition weekly. Protein treatment every 6 weeks. LCO daily.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: --quite a few
Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL)-- natural
Tips/Tricks: satin bonnet every night and when lounging on couch
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: SSK. Not sure how to reduce or prevent those.
Starting Pic:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 224

julzinha

Current Length: Layered APL
Ultimate Goal: Layered WL
Regimen: Protective style with braids, then weaves. Moisturize my hair every other day and wash/condition every 2 wks. And use Njoy Oil on my scalp every other day
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 8 to 9 inches
Tips/Tricks: Don't leave out my hair for more than 2 weeks between installs. Eat well and exercise. Take different hair nourishing supplements and maintain a clean and healthy scalp.
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Alternating supplements every few months, using T/Sal Shampoo, and SSKs. AND be patient and consistent.
Starting Pic: Coming Soon

ForestRose

Current Length: Neck length
Ultimate Goal: Waist length
Regimen: PS with extensions. More protein treatments. Eating healthier, and taking supplements regularly.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 12
Inches.

Natural/Relaxed/Other: Texlaxed
Tips/Tricks: eating healthier
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: keeping a track on my retention. Not trimming regularly enough. Touching my hair too much.
Starting Pic: will probably get this done around December when I do my pics for SL 2015

EXTRA QUESTIONS
Are you deluding myself?:
probably
Will you still achieve some sort of amazing goal?: fingers crossed? I've only ever been SL before. The longest my hair has been is 1 inch below my CB so reaching BSL would be a dream for me.

fifigirl

I'm in as well!

Regimen: Practicing crown and glory method of keeping hair in braids, washing weekly and deep conditioning, Protein treatment (aphogee 2 step treatment ) whenever braids are taken down, Inversions every month, massage Green magic and MN mix every other day,

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: At least 8 inches

Natural/Relaxed/Other: FULLY TEXLAXED

Tips/Tricks: Daily scalp massages for 5 minutes with tips of fingers coated with almond oil, Drink loads of water, exercise, use a satin scarf when at home, Drink Mineral rich daily, use blowdryer on cold air when detangling aside from this, no heat allowed, tea rinses to combat shedding, trim every 4 months (1/8th of an inch)

Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: Recently cut off my relaxed ends so fully texlaxed now....hopefully i should have no major issues

Starting Pic: Hair is currently in braids but this may help

Attachments

• CUT HAIR.JPG
    CUT HAIR.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 235

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Current Length: Apl

Ultimate Goal: Waist Length

Regimen: I either get my hair blown out at the salon or I wear wigs. Wig regimen: shampoo every 1-2 weeks (Crème of Nature detangling shampoo or Suave Clarifying), condition and airdry in braids. Unravel and detangle hair then rebraid. Moisturize as needed with Garnier Sleek and Shine Cream. Currently I am using Liquid Gold oil on my scalp 3x a week, but I'm not sure how long I will use this growth aid.

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 5ish

Natural/Relaxed/Other: straight hair natural 4b

Tips/Tricks: I always sleep in a satin bonnet or scarf. Even during naps. I massage my scalp occasionally for increased circulation. When I can remember I invert 7 days each month

Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: My hair just doesn't grow very fast, but my retention is great

Starting Pic: coming after my end of year blowout and trim. I'm wigging it until right before Christmas

rafikichick92

Current Length: grazing BSL
Regimen: Currently I wash, dc, and straighten once a month, but I am thinking about going back to wigs for awhile to reduce manipulation and let my hair thicken up. I will also probably do a stint of wash-n-goes next summer because I am going to Colombia for 2 weeks and don't want the hassle of having to keep my hair straight or a wig on and I will need to practice my reggie before I go.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: around 6 inches
Tips/Tricks: none
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: I struggle a lot with SSKs and thin, split ends. Part of that is that my ends are heat-damaged/BKT-damaged which caused splits. I recently trimmed to make things more even, but didn't completely trim away the damage. I chose to do this because in the past, whenever I've trimmed to blunt, healthy ends, they got raggedy again before I reached my goal length. As of right now, my thought is to grow past my goal length and then trim to healthy ends and maintain them with trimming from then on. I have very fine hair in general, so I think that may play a role as well.
Starting Pic:
la foto.JPG

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I'm in!
Current Length: APL but I'll know new length after tonight's trim
Ultimate Goal: HPL
Regimen: Clarify once a month, Shampoo and DC every 2 weeks. If hair needs extra moisture will co-wash in between the 2 weeks. Protein DC when needed or every 6 weeks. Trim every 3-4 months but dust ends if necessary. Only use heat in the winter once a month and protective styles in the summer since my hair does not last 3 days lol.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 9"
Tips/Tricks:
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: keeping my hair stretched helps keep the tangles and knots away, I've also learned straightening it out every 2 weeks or at least once a month also helps me retain length. I just prefer to use as less heat as possible.
Starting Pic:

Attachments

• 20151112_125240.jpg
    20151112_125240.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 212
Last edited: