Waistlength and Beyond – Names + Regimens!

Southernbella.

I under that ps is the key but when do you get to enjoy your hair?

I just hit WL and I don't PS. I wear my hair out everyday and I have retained length just fine. It's definitely possible!:grin:

My reggie:

I wash every 2-3 weeks. I try to deep condition with every wash. I use Sally's Silk Elements Moisturizing Shampoo and Silk Elements Olive Oil Deep Conditioner (green tub) to condition.

From there, I either wash no go, or blowdry using the tension method and style on stretched dry hair (braidouts and twistouts). I'd say I keep my hair stretched 95% of the time.

Bublin

I think from reading all the threads i need to deep condition more frequently.

QUESTION For those with long hair (well, this applies to anyone really) and a young family AND go to work.....where are you finding the time to wash, deep condition and prep your hair for airdrying midweek???
I need to incorporate a midweek wash but i would be up until midnight and my hair wouldn't be dry in the morning.

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

i understand what you mean. i have no time for my hair. (5 month old baby + 3 year old + work ) i run all over the place everyday. and before i use to have either saturday or sunday on my hair, pre oil, then shampoo, then deeeeep condit with nicely home made mixtures that worked great!

since...my hair has been growing, breaking,growing,breaking.... ill get back to it.

Shadiyah

I just hit WL and I don't PS. I wear my hair out everyday and I have retained length just fine. It's definitely possible!:grin:

My reggie:

I wash every 2-3 weeks. I try to deep condition with every wash. I use Sally's Silk Elements Moisturizing Shampoo and Silk Elements Olive Oil Deep Conditioner (green tub) to condition.

From there, I either wash no go, or blowdry using the tension method and style on stretched dry hair (braidouts and twistouts). I'd say I keep my hair stretched 95% of the time.

southernbella I am so glad to hear this because I am just not one that can do all the ps especially not in the summer. and also I have to wet my hair everyday.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

My reggie:

Southernbella. - How do you style your hair at night? Do you ever moisturize or oil your hair during the 2-3 weeks without washing?

testimony777

i understand what you mean. i have no time for my hair. (5 month old baby + 3 year old + work ) i run all over the place everyday. and before i use to have either saturday or sunday on my hair, pre oil, then shampoo, then deeeeep condit with nicely home made mixtures that worked great!

since...my hair has been growing, breaking,growing,breaking.... ill get back to it.

coolsista-paris Our children are the same ages :yep:. I was the same way, I used to make my own hair products (from shampoo to styling aids), pre poo, deep condition, henna, wash twice a week etc. But these babies have been one of the motivating factors for me getting back to basics. Now I wash and set my curly hair once a week using the tightly curly method and let it air dry. During the week all I do to my hair is take it out of my braid in the morning, add some kind of moisturizer and go. At night I add a bit of safflower oil to my ends and put the braid back in. I spend all of 5 minutes a day on my hair Monday- Thursday and 2-3 hour on my hair on Friday (wash day). Terri LaFlesh saved my life :grin:

coolsista-paris

testimony777 : at least you keep taking care of your hair :) ok its true that with the babies home very less time. are you getting enough sleep? i am not since 3 weeks(i was sick, they were sick) i dont know the weather around your place but in Paris its raining ang getting chilli. i hate winter. Ive just straightened my hair yesterday it has grown a bit but i would have been longer than this of i took good care of it. sad.

Need motivation!!!! as im natural (i dont really like protective styles which some of them break my hair so maybe ill try a weave (for the 3rd time in my life) lol

testimony777

@testimony777 : at least you keep taking care of your hair :) ok its true that with the babies home very less time. are you getting enough sleep? i am not since 3 weeks(i was sick, they were sick) i dont know the weather around your place but in Paris its raining ang getting chilli. i hate winter. Ive just straightened my hair yesterday it has grown a bit but i would have been longer than this of i took good care of it. sad.

Need motivation!!!! as im natural (i dont really like protective styles which some of them break my hair so maybe ill try a weave (for the 3rd time in my life) lol

Sleep? The word sounds vaguely familiar, like something I used to know in a distant time long long ago :drunk::spinning:. My newest addition does not sleep during the day save for a few cat naps here and there, and she is up every 3-4 hours at night :nono:.

I am in Chicago so I fully understand the winter blues. It is definitely hard. I am natural too and I really have loved the tightly curly method. You should check out Terri's cite tightlycurly.com. I do a modified version of what she does.

transitioning?

You don't have to PS 100% of the time. I PS whenever I'm not doing anything and wear my hair out for dates or special events. I guess it's only a problem for those who like to wear their hair out every single day, but for me my hair would just get in the way. Usually my hair is up for work and down on weekends.

Sent from my HTC Evo

FoxxyLocs I love your siggy pic. That is exactly how I imagine my hair looking when it gets longer. You're an inspiration. :yep:

Shadiyah

I really meant to thank all the ladies that answered my question. I have started dc at least once a week if not twice. and that is with my heating cap. It as been great and I just don't plait anymore at night because it was doing a job to my ends. also I paid for that ps too because my curls in the front were so straight I am just now getting them back to curling up.

leiah

My regimen:

Shampoo once a week with sulfate free shampoo
DC after shampoo
Detangle with Oil and Leave in conditioner
Air dry in braids - seal ends with butter
Put dry hair in a bun.

I cowash a few times a week in between shampoos, whenever I get a chance. Could be once, could be 4 times. Detangle and braid to dry every time.
When I have a protein conditioner like aphogee 2 minute, I use it for one of my cowashes every week. I don't necessarily buy a new bottle when I run out, I can go months without using it.

I henna pretty infrequently, about every 6 to 8 weeks or even longer. Before I henna, I clarify with a sulfate shampoo.

I trim twice a year.

I did a few weeks of wash and gos this year but mostly my hair is in a bun. I have a baby who is always grabbing handfuls so theres no point in wearing it out right now.

I have not used any heat in 3 years! This is the most important part of my regimen and the reason my hair is so long :yep:

My products change but they are usually silicone free with protein.

constance

Not sure if I ever posted my regime..in any event, it has changed:

Shampoo every 1.5-2 wks with Aussie Moist (next on list to try is TJ Nourish Spa shampoo)
DC overnight following shampoo with Aussie Moist Conditioner (replaces AOHSR)
Apply TJ Nourish Spa Conditioner + evoo mixed together as a leave in (replaces HE LTR)
Air dry in bantu twists or banded braids

Spritz with water and apply evoo every 3 or 4 dys.

I use a comb sparingly..maybe every 3 wks. Last trim was 3 yrs ago. Next trim will be when I hit full tbl.

I blow dry on cool-warm and have flat ironed 2-3x per year though it'll be less than this in the future. (I dye my grey so I'm trying to limit the amount of heat I use.)

Last edited:

miracles11

Flirting with waist length. Some strands are there others have mo growing to do! Been actively growing since 2006 using Cathy Howse 's method but not her products. Kept the faith and found LHCF a year later. Eureka been rocking n Rollin every since.

Reggie.

DC 2x week min
New to sulfate free products ie shampoo and con
After wash use motions spray, silk elements creme leave in
Top off with proclaim 7 essential oils
Protective style and seldom use direct heat
Seamless combs and finger styling a must at this length
Stretch as best u can. 9-10 weeks for me now is max

Best tips:
Get hooded dryer on wheels
DC before wash. ( one time in shower then done!)
Ignore non supportive comments from those not in the "know"
Always support those who really want to know how to do the same

KEEP IT REAL!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
How long are you WL beauties stretching your relaxers, obviously for those who relax?? I just found a distinct correlation between ladies with APL hair and beyond and relaxing not more than 12 weeks. Thanks in advance for answering.

ManeStreet

I co-wash twice a week with tresemme naturals conditioner & make a wet bun with two braids or two twists pinned down.

The next day or two days later I take the bun down & wear it loose until its time to do it over again.

Clarify when needed.

Deep condition with olive oil.