Warning! Another kind of troll

H

HoneyRockette

There was an incident on one of the other hair boards where I lurk. Some young punk kid(s) kept suggesting all of these outrageous homemade hair treatments like spray deodorant and floor wax saying it made their hair shinier, thicker or longer in a short amount of time. Some things were obviously bogus but there were a few fake treatments that some of the members tried. One woman said she got bad breakage from one of the treatments recommended for dandruff. That is when the person(s) confessed that all of the claims were fake. I don't know why someone would do such a thing but I just wanted to warn people that there is another kind of troll out there. They were lucky that at least this person confessed (even if only to make fun of us). Some people will drop their bogus claim and walk away leaving you to try it and not know what went wrong. Remember the lysol and mouthwash thing from BHC? There are devious people out there who have nothing better to do than to make fun of others. I know we are all intelligent enough to not be duped into anything obviously bogus but sometimes the bogus claims are not so obvious. I have seen some here that I don't think are too kosher but sometimes it is hard to tell. I just want everyone to be wary of advice and do their homework. If it sounds too good to be true and there is no scientific evidence supporting whatever claim, then leave it alone. It's not worth it. There are no quick fixes. Okay I am climbing off of my soapbox now.

LuvableLady

This is why I'm not trying anymore of these homemade concoctions. Some of these recipes are sounding ridiculous and you don't know what to believe. I'll stick with the stuff that I know works. Some things are simply not made for hair.

Thank you.

VALLEYGIRL

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I just want everyone to be wary of advice and do their homework. If it sounds too good to be true and there is no scientific evidence supporting whatever claim, then leave it alone. It's not worth it. There are no quick fixes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree HoneyRockette sometimes the bogus claims are not so obvious...
Thanks for posting this

Valleygirl

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Good Lord! Some people have nothing better to do, I guess. I don't see the humor in messing up someone else's hair...
Thanks for the heads up.

ngaa

sassygirl125 said:

Good Lord! Some people have nothing better to do, I guess. I don't see the humor in messing up someone else's hair...
Thanks for the heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

neither do i
i can understand those who mess up an enermy's hair for revenge but what in the world has the person in a whole different state or country ever done to u??
thanks honey rockettt..

adrienne0914

yes, i will personally be sticking with the stuff meant for hair. the only way i would even consider it is if someone that i know has been here for a while suggests it. even then, i don't experiment much anyway. so that's a big IF...

thanks for the reminder.

adrienne

godzooki

It's very depressing that people like this are out there. I am really interested in as much natural haircare (besides the relaxer) as possible and stuff like this...I can't even think of the words to type to say how I feel!

sweetcocoa

Thanks Honeyrockett(floor wax...okaaay)...
To me if it's sounds stupid and I can tell it contains ingredients that will harm the skin or hair, I would pass. Any suggestions you get wether online, from friends or even family you should take with a grain of salt and research it thoroughly before doing it. Use the common sense your Mama gave ya. The same goes for stuff designed for the hair....
Don't always be willing to jump on the bandwagon...You know your hair better than anyone else... so take some responsibility for yourself and be careful....

azul11

That upsets me because people are geniunely trying to get support and help to grow and maintain the health of their hair and for people to compromise that by coming on to sites and being evil to me is just horrible. And it makes you leery. I dont want to have to come online and keep my eye on new members to see if maybe this a troll in disguise
giving out bogus advice. Of course some things are common sense. Anything used to clean furniture doesnt belong on your head.
Are people that bored that they have nothing better to do then do this. Goodness.
God bless you all.

G

I think that is what Shamboosie meant, in his book, people just posting outrageous stuff and PEOPLE TRYING it. I've seen some crazy stuff here (yeast infection stuff) and others, that we just have use common sense, and not try everything.

I feel bad cause someone really seeking might be gullible and put something in thier hair that will make it fall out.

Thanks for posting the warning, so that they might be aware...

beana3

thanks for posting HR! Mindymouse i feel you, somethings are not meant for hair, but hey sometimes i get the devilish urge to sarcastically entertain some posts

I dont want to make anyone uncomfortable, but i would be wary of people who only have a few posts and are either recommending "services" (just for advertisments sake
) or outrageous methods. We've been hit with a few of those this past month in particular.

G

Oh yeah, Beana, I've seen those too and wonder if they were trying to advertise their product..

Sneaky

skegeesmb

I never try homemade concotions unless I make them myself. I'm not dissing any of the legit concoctions, but I'm too lazy to go and make some of this stuff. I stick with hair products that work for me. I think the best thing to remember is that concoctions work for some people while the same stuff might not work for another.

Crysdon

i would be wary of people who only have a few posts and are either recommending "services" (just for advertisments sake ) or outrageous methods. We've been hit with a few of those this past month in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

We sure have and I'm happy when we stick up for each other and warn the posters not to try the "crazy" stuff. The fake "Longhairdiva" tried it with the Vivoscol (sp?).

Allandra

Crysdon said:
The fake "Longhairdiva" tried it with the Vivoscol (sp?).

[/ QUOTE ]
It was Vigorol.

Ennyaa

Wait wait wait. That's not the lady with the gorgeous relaxed hair down to her knees is it? The one with the cute daughter?

Crysdon

It was Vigorol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Allandra, I couldn't remember what the heck that troll was trying to push on us.

Ennyaa

Whooooaaaaa! That's crazy. Dern you miss a few days you miss alot. Oh well. I thought her and her daughter's hair was pretty but I wasn't doing nothing with no Vigorol regardless just cuz I'm comfortable with my current regimen ya know. *shrug* So I guess those pics weren't even of that person then huh?
Folks are so sad.

adrienne0914

mindymouse, actually the active ingredient contained in the yeast infection medication is also contained in products for the hair, skin and nails. i had it prescribed to me in the past when a "doctor" thought my scalp condition was some type of infection. so that one is not as far fetched as it appears to be.

adrienne

Kitkat

That's really pathetic. How low does one's self esteem have to be to try to screw up someone else's hair? I agree with what a lot of people here said - you just have to use plain old common sense. If it sounds too good or too easy to be true, it probably is. Thanks for the heads up, HoneyRockette.