Was It Appropriate For The Stylist To Say This To Me?

sharifeh

So I haven't trimmed my hair since May. I have scissor phobia due to SHS. Anyway this stylist I go to sometimes kept bugging to cut my hair because the ends were straggly etc. I let her because it's been awhile and who knows, some of those ends might have been leftover relaxer. ( I transitioned from relaxers but I do keratin treatments)

Anyway she kept going on an on about how people with the healthiest hair trim regularly etc...if I trim regularly I'll never have to get a shocking haircut blah blah fine...I don't necessarily agree but those comments don't bother me

But she also said to me "You can't be walking around with Chanel espadrilles and scraggly ends"

wait what? What do my shoes have to do with anything? I laughed it off but that made me uneasy and uncomfortable. Now I feel self conscious about my shoes. She has no idea, I've been obsessed with chanel espadrilles and I saved up for awhile to get a pair last year. I'm not rich or anything and I try to save money but I did invest in those shoes.

Plus I just told her how many bad experiences I've had with haircuts and how afraid I am to let anyone cut my hair. So why tie my hair to my shoes like that? Really?

(she also failed to mention that her little trim/cut would cost me $85 but that's also my passive butt's fault for not asking or standing up for myself)

She's a great stylist but needless to say I'm not going back. Sorry

What do you ladies think? Am I being an oversensitive mess? It's ok you can tell me

btw I'm 2 years relaxer free today! yay? @SuchaLady

Last edited:

HaveSomeWine

No, that was not okay for her to say. The customer is always right and you did not ask her for her opinion. It's your hair and ultimately at the end of the day what you want is the most important. She charges extra for haircuts so of course she wanted to guilt trip you into getting one and believing that constant trims are necessary. I wouldn't go back either.

Ivonnovi

IMHO it wasn't "inappropriate" for her to say that but it was an unprofessional/unpolished statement. Like the other poster, I believe she knows what you paid for the shoes and figured she'd charge accordingly; afterall [in her mind] it looks like you can afford her stated fee.

By LHCF standards it WOULD be inappropriate for you to go back. (IMHO of course)

Last edited:

PJaye

Yeah, she was definitely trying to be slick. Essentially, that was her funky way of highlighting the incompatibility of expensive shoes and busted hair (her opinion). I would refrain from patronizing her business in the future; she simply does not deserve it. FWIW, the next time someone says something out of pocket, instead of nervously laughing it off, respond with silence and a stare - blank or otherwise. This will let the speaker know that they have crossed a line and that you are not amused by their antics.

sharifeh

Yeah, she was definitely trying to be slick. Essentially, that was her funky way of highlighting the incompatibility of expensive shoes and busted hair (her opinion). I would refrain from patronizing her business in the future; she simply does not deserve it. FWIW, the next time someone says something out of pocket, instead of nervously laughing it off, respond with silence and a stare - blank or otherwise. This will let the speaker know that they have crossed a line and that you are not amused by their antics.

That's what makes me mad. Yes I spend on my hair but I don't like salon "trims"
You're right I should've responded with silence. But at least I'm responding with taking my dollars elsewhere. I don't need people to judge me. I bought the chanel espadrilles but most other designer items I have were gifts. Are hair stylists gonna judge me for that too?

PJaye

That's what makes me mad. Yes I spend on my hair but I don't like salon "trims"
You're right I should've responded with silence. But at least I'm responding with taking my dollars elsewhere. I don't need people to judge me. I bought the chanel espadrilles but most other designer items I have were gifts. Are hair stylists gonna judge me for that too?

Simply put, what you do and how you do it is nobody's business; you don't need to justify/explain a thing to anyone. You were paying for a service, she could've kept the stank comments to herself. I agree, let your lack of patronage speak for you.

sharifeh

She sounds jealous to me too. Her comment was unprofessional and uncalled for and I would be wary to go back to her. I hate when people count your coins based on your appearance because its really petty.

I wouldn't trust my hair in the hands of a jealous woman IMHO

oh boy. I hope she's not jealous. That kind of energy scares me. I believe in the bad eye :look: A big reason why I won't go back.

I agree, It is so petty. I almost feel like I wouldn't have been pushed to get the extra service if i were wearing different shoes. smh

guudhair

If that was her first time doing my hair, I wouldn't go back.

However, I would have took it as just a bad corny joke if she's been doing my hair for a while. If she's great at hair care, I would still go back every now and then for a break from doing it myself. I just wouldn't let her cut it.

Nazaneen

that kind of comment would make me suspicious about her and her feelings toward you.
she may well be envious. seems as if she's "counting your money"
this is one reason why i just cant trust stylists. i'm sure some are unstable enough to deliberately mess people's hair up

Nazaneen

oh boy. I hope she's not jealous. That kind of energy scares me. I believe in the bad eye :look: A big reason why I won't go back.

I agree, It is so petty. I almost feel like I wouldn't have been pushed to get the extra service if i were wearing different shoes. smh
just because you can afford something doesn't mean you're not allowed to be frugal. she has no business basing things on what she feels you can afford to pay her

Black Ambrosia

^^^ ditto. I tend to have pretty friendly relationships with my stylists so I know that's the angle they'd be coming from if they said something like this. I don't know if that's how your stylist meant it or if she was counting your money but I don't think I'd be offended. We've all had bad experiences with scissor happy stylists and that leads many to delay trims that are sorely needed.

$85 for a trim? Was this really a trim or a haircut? How much was the total bill?

naturalmanenyc

^^^ ditto. I tend to have pretty friendly relationships with my stylists so I know that's the angle they'd be coming from if they said something like this. I don't know if that's how your stylist meant it or if she was counting your money but I don't think I'd be offended. We've all had bad experiences with scissor happy stylists and that leads many to delay trims that are sorely needed.

$85 for a trim? Was this really a trim or a haircut? How much was the total bill?
A trim at a lot of NYC salons is $50 - $85. Once they pick up scissors the price goes up. A junior stylist at H2 in Brooklyn is $55 for a wet cut while a cut with a senior stylist is $100-$125.

Salon 718 starts a little cheaper at $40 for a junior stylist.
http://www.salon718.com/core/menu/

sharifeh

My interpretation of her comment was different than the other posters'. I took it to mean that you can't go out looking half put together: chanel shoes and scraggly ends.

Either way she was inappropriate.

that's possible. but either way you interpret it, it's throwing shade

sharifeh

I blocked the total out of my memory :look:

At first she was saying trim but then she changed and kept saying haircut- I think it was so she could charge me the haircut price :/

She charges $35 for a treatment under the steamer but at least I asked for that