Was our hair meant to be this difficult?

FlutterGirl

I think, as a biologist, it's all about Darwin.

I know in some schools in the US they don't talk about his theories, which is weird IMHO. So if I offend some people, just tell me or mods erase this post.

Okay, we don't know what was the first hair texture humans had back in the very first day.
Some people say because of the wheater, it's a big advantage for us to have the big wooly hair, which makes sense. On the course of history some people had mutations in their DNA, so we can evolved. The biggest advantages were transmitted in the next generations. Remeber this was made over THOUSANDS of year. This isn't a whole day thing.

For example, someone may have a mutation in their DNA and came up with big kinky hair. That way that person can have a better protection for the sun and keep himself cold etc, so that was a BIG advantage. The one with the kinky hair reproduce and the ones who cannnot be protected by the sun disappeared little by little. So, having kinky hair was a stronger profile than having straight hair, just like it's more commun to have dark hair, brown eyes vs blond hair, blue eyes. I vulgarized a lot, so you could understand.

The same goes on with our skin... darker skin, big advantage vs light skin. Light skin can appear like straight hair, but it's rare.

The self-hatred thing about hair is all about society and brainwashing in my opinion. What's view beautiful in America may not be seen as the norm in other countries.

My two cents

navsegda

Ayeshia said:
I never looked at my hair as a curse...hell if Jesus really wanted to curse those with kinky hair, he would have made us BALD and patchy ya head?:lol:....imo thats a punishment. plus wasnt it said that Jesus had a wolly hair texture similar to our hair type?

Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that His Hair was like lamb's wool? Lamb's wool is soft in texture, it's not like the natural texture growing out of my head now :D:D:D.

navsegda

FlutterGirl said:
I think, as a biologist, it's all about Darwin.

I know in some schools in the US they don't talk about his theories, which is weird IMHO. So if I offend some people, just tell me or mods erase this post.

Okay, we don't know what was the first hair texture humans had back in the very first day.
Some people say because of the wheater, it's a big advantage for us to have the big wooly hair, which makes sense. On the course of history some people had mutations in their DNA, so we can evolved. The biggest advantages were transmitted in the next generations. Remeber this was made over THOUSANDS of year. This isn't a whole day thing.

For example, someone may have a mutation in their DNA and came up with big kinky hair. That way that person can have a better protection for the sun and keep himself cold etc, so that was a BIG advantage. The one with the kinky hair reproduce and the ones who cannnot be protected by the sun disappeared little by little. So, having kinky hair was a stronger profile than having straight hair, just like it's more commun to have dark hair, brown eyes vs blond hair, blue eyes. I vulgarized a lot, so you could understand.

The same goes on with our skin... darker skin, big advantage vs light skin. Light skin can appear like straight hair, but it's rare.

The self-hatred thing about hair is all about society and brainwashing in my opinion. What's view beautiful in America may not be seen as the norm in other countries.

My two cents

Yes! Thank you for your statements as well. :D I love Darwin but I was reluctant to bring him up because I really did not want to offend anyone.

P

patient1

Isis said:
Jesus was Jewish so it's very possible he had a kinky hair type.

I have to comment on this and it's kind of off-topic.

Since Judaism is a religion but most visualize a European when one says "Jewish"...an Ethiopian of today is probably a better visual of what Jesus looked like.

Oversimplified, I know, but I'm winding down.

MissMarie

***sigh***
navsegda said:
Thank you for this. I read your comments on another thread and I really hoped you would come in here hehe. Yay!
:blush: thanks
i'm not real good with biology and evolution, so i was just trying to explain it as best as i understand it :grin:

navsegda said:
:D I love Darwin but I was reluctant to bring him up because I really did not want to offend anyone.
Thats why I waited so long to respond, its good to see I'm not alone.
I'm glad Fluttergirl said the same basic thing.

MissMarie

***sigh***
patient1 said:

Since Judaism is a religion but most visualize a European when one says "Jewish"...an Ethiopian of today is probably a better visual of what Jesus looked like.

I've heard the same thing, and that you can't necessarily look at what modern populations look like in a region (due to intermingling, migration, wars, etc) to know what people there looked like thousands of years ago.

I also heard that Jesus most likely wore his hair short, with no facial hair, as was the custom for Jewish men at the time. I have a real hard time visualizing that one.

Isis

patient1 said:

That could be true. However, my comment was based on my previous post about natural kinky hair types among white people in and around Russia as well as white Jews I met personally. I certainly never believed the Jesus depicted in this country, at least, with blue eyes and straight, long blonde or brunette hair. I sense he was much more "ethnic" in appearance.

P

patient1

MissMarie said:
I've heard the same thing, and that you can't necessarily look at what modern populations look like in a region (due to intermingling, migration, wars, etc) to know what people there looked like thousands of years ago.
I also heard that Jesus most likely wore his hair short, with no facial hair, as was the custom for Jewish men at the time. I have a real hard time visualizing that one.

Right. I'm too tired to elaborate and, in the bigger scheme of things, it doesn't matter BUT creating a blue-eyed blond representation that doesn't fit the words in the bible or the norm of the region is just so ridiculous to me...but a powerful fiction nonetheless.

p1

P

patient1

Isis said:
That could be true. However, my comment was based on my previous post about natural kinky hair types among white people in and around Russia as well as white Jews I met personally. I certainly never believed the Jesus depicted in this country, at least, with blue eyes and straight, long blonde or brunette hair. I sense he was much more "ethnic" in appearance.

I know you well enough online to realize you see something closer to the truth. I was responding to the term "Jewish" and what comes to mind with that term and it's application to Jesus. It wasn't directed at you.:)

Like I said, it's an oversimplification and there's much more that travels through my mind on the subject, I'm just too tired to type and deal with the inevitable debate that would arise.

p1

Amarech

Imagine how difficult it would be for a white woman to achieve a perfect 4b afro every morning She would have difficult hair for sure! And destroyed by chemicals and heat appliances!!!

Hit the nail on the head! Of course our hair wasn't meant to be this difficult. But like flower hair said (and a lot of others) we are trying to make our hair do something it was never designed to do. If you relax your hair, that process alone takes away so much from the natural hair, its a given that challenges arise.

On top of that, natural tightly coiled hair is already predisposed to breakage. Each bend, each turn of the coil creates a weak point that doesn't exist with straight hair.

Its not that our hair is difficult. Its what we are trying to do to our hair that makes it difficult. If things were the other way around, it wouldn't even be an issue. We wouldn't want straight or wavy or even curly 3b hair. Everyone would want OUR hair and their hair would be messed up trying to acheive it.

If you want to relax your hair (I'm speaking in general -- not just at the OP) then accept the work that comes with it. For me, taking care of my relaxed hair is easier than taking care of my natural hair. This is because I prefer straight styles and do not enjoy wearing natural styles all the time. It may be the opposite for someone else. But I do not believe our hair is difficult. Our hair is whatever we make it to be and that's the beauty of it.

Isis

patient1 said:
I know you well enough online to realize you see something closer to the truth. I was responding to the term "Jewish" and what comes to mind with that term and it's application to Jesus. It wasn't directed at you.:)

Like I said, it's an oversimplification and there's much more that travels through my mind on the subject, I'm just too tired to type and deal with the inevitable debate that would arise.

p1
I absolutely did not feel what you stated was directed at me and I didn't take it that way. My comment was mostly based on my earlier post.:)

Crissi

Our hair isn’t the problem, we are! Its as simple as that we make it anissue.I will keep re-illiterating my point about black men, if its sooooo hard to grow hair, how comes they never have a problem?!! They just leave it alone, as its meant to be, we wanna have it fried, died and laid to the side. Then complain about not getting somewhere. Something ain’t going to love you if you don’t love it back. Our hair IS NOT FRAGILE, im sick of society telling us that crap, its so fragile that we need DRAIN CLEANER – oh sorry I mean relaxers, to straighten it…oh please that doesn’t sound fragile to me.

Further more I think it’s a western society thing, because being of west indian heritage I know for sure that blacks can grow hair. Damn near EVERYONE in my family had long hair until THEY took farse and wanted to “experiment”. Ironically that was when they came over here (to the west), or atleast woke up to the ways of the west, and some what felt the need to assimilate to the their “standards of beauty”

I also know a few people that are either rastas, travel to africa frequently, or are “afrocentric” (ugh I hate that word but it’s the best I could find) and they all say the same thing,”ohhhhh the people take great care of their hair, women have all textures all legnths”

And God doesn’t make mistakes heres one of the obvious…

1 Corinthians
15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

…SO what the black woman was excluded from this? I think not

snoopy1me

I wasn't going to post but had to share my opinion lol. I don't think our hair is that difficult. I believe we make it out to be more difficult than it really is. Some of us can manipulate our hair (relaxers + lots of heat and little tlc) and many of us can't. Of all the hair types I feel we put our hair through the most "abuse".

Many of us have gotten a relaxer at a young age and never were able to understand our hair texture or how to care for it, and we also have parents who didn't know either. I bet if you took any 1a-2c person and gave them a perm and used heat on their hair often they too would have a difficult problem attaining length too. I'm not saying relaxers are bad, but I believe often there isn't a clear general understanding of what is necessary to keep relaxed hair healthy, even among hairstylists themselves.

I do believe there are people in every hair type who have "slow growing hair" as well as "fast" growing hair. Everyone is different so all the challenges,products, and techniques on this board may not be for everyone, but allow people to see a variety of options and figure out which ones work for themselves.

snoopy1me

Crissi said:
Our hair isn’t the problem, we are! Its as simple as that we make it anissue.I will keep re-illiterating my point about black men, if its sooooo hard to grow hair, how comes they never have a problem?!! They just leave it alone, as its meant to be, we wanna have it fried, died and laid to the side. Then complain about not getting somewhere. Something ain’t going to love you if you don’t love it back. Our hair IS NOT FRAGILE, im sick of society telling us that crap, its so fragile that we need DRAIN CLEANER – oh sorry I mean relaxers, to straighten it…oh please that doesn’t sound fragile to me.

Further more I think it’s a western society thing, because being of west indian heritage I know for sure that blacks can grow hair. Damn near EVERYONE in my family had long hair until THEY took farse and wanted to “experiment”. Ironically that was when they came over here (to the west), or atleast woke up to the ways of the west, and some what felt the need to assimilate to the their “standards of beauty”

I also know a few people that are either rastas, travel to africa frequently, or are “afrocentric” (ugh I hate that word but it’s the best I could find) and they all say the same thing,”ohhhhh the people take great care of their hair, women have all textures all legnths”

1 Corinthians
15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

i agree with this post :up:

Sweet_Ambrosia

kally said:
In the journey to acheive healthy, longer hair it is very overwhelming.

Our hair is something else. I can't take it anymore. Chemicals, heat , the wrong diet, protective stlyes, wrong products, to many of the right products , oils, grease, wrong clothing, braids,weaves,wigs, using the wrong tools, brushing,combing, using to many product, using not enough products, you name it causes damages. Everything that you can possible do for our hair seems to cause damage. There seems that there is nothing out there that does not cause damage to our hair. Proper care is key, but you have to go to great lengths to get it and never stop once you have master the art of what it takes for your hair. This can get very costly and time consuming, because what works for one may not work other as we find out in updated threads.

I firmly believe that God did not design our hair to be so fragile. I believe that someone way back in the day messed it up for us. I never heard of other races having to tie up their hair in silk or satin to prevent it from spliting or having to add oil etc... I know they have issues to but not as fragile as ours.

Sorry so long I am just frustrated. I thought I had my regimen down and now have to revise it.

Our hair is unique, that's how God made it. Growing healthy long(er) hair takes time, commitment and upkeep, no matter what type of texture you may have. You have to work at it, take the proper steps in order to acheive your goals, just like with any other thing in life. If I stopped all the protective styling/bagging/moisturizing/sealing/CW'ing/etc...the health of my hair would go downhill as well as the length. I dont mind taking these steps in order to acheive my hair goals and to maintain the overall health of my hair, it's pretty much become a healthy habit for me.

I really do think that sometimes we can be our on worst enemy when it comes to hair. It's not the texture, it's not the products, it's our mindset.

SA

Isis

Crissi said:

1 Corinthians

You make some good points, including the bolded. :yep:

chayil0427

Isis said:
I believe we have the most beautiful, versatile hair in the world. Haircare can be easy once we learn how. The same applies to all hair types.

God made our hair perfectly. The struggle some people have is working against their hair, trying to make it appear according to someone else's standard.

For me, I make sure my hair journey is totally fun and it has been. That's what makes it easy and something to look forward to. :yep:

I wanna second that. :grin: God made us a SPECIAL ORDER!

Farida

1 corinthians 11:14-15
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but i don't think black women, and i mean women who don't have mixed ancestry were meant to have long hair. A few do, but majority don't. I grew up in Africa and I saw all sorts of women grow their hair natural and protect it and all and very few were able to get it bra strap and it took them almost 14 years give or take to do it. Some could never even get it to shoulder-length.

I'm tired of my hair too, and I don't buy the weather theory. People assume Africa is this unbearably hot place, but in all my life in East Africa I never experienced the wrath of heat close to that of american summers. Also, India is a really hot place yet it is home to some of the most long, straight or slightly wavy-haired women in the world. India is soooooooo hot i don't even know how people survive those summers and winds, I guess people adjust, get used to it.

Amarech

Also, India is a really hot place yet it is home to some of the most long, straight or slightly wavy-haired women in the world. India is soooooooo hot i don't even know how people survive those summers and winds, I guess people adjust, get used to it.

I've always thought about this too.

Crissi

vivmaiko said:
1 corinthians 11:14-15
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but i don't think black women, and i mean women who don't have mixed ancestry were meant to have long hair. A few do, but majority don't. I grew up in Africa and I saw all sorts of women grow their hair natural and protect it and all and very few were able to get it bra strap and it took them almost 14 years give or take to do it. Some could never even get it to shoulder-length.

I'm tired of my hair too, and I don't buy the weather theory. People assume Africa is this unbearably hot place, but in all my life in East Africa I never experienced the wrath of heat close to that of american summers. Also, India is a really hot place yet it is home to some of the most long, straight or slightly wavy-haired women in the world. India is soooooooo hot i don't even know how people survive those summers and winds, I guess people adjust, get used to it.

:ohwell: i don't mean to be rude, that comment rubbed me the wrong way but IMO all can have long hair, why would God lay down one set of rules for one race, and another set of rules for another? God is a fair God, theres no fine print in the scripture lol. Maybe its just me but as i stated before, every black woman ive encoutered has the same story "i had long hair as a child and then i did *insert here* to it", and when i went to JA, i can surely say there was plenty women with long hair, and if it wasn't long it was most def healthy.

ETA: A great example of how long our hair can grow is LHCF, it shows a cross section of all women, all textures, relaxed and natural, some are black some are mixed, they all have beautiful healthy/long hair

Last edited:

Mahalialee4

This is really a deep deep matter. I believe that the questioner was asking something far deeper than many of us have ever questioned. I was just thinking about this and have been for sometime now. My conclusion:
1. There is something spiritual behind the struggle for black women to grow long hair with ease.
2. We were not born with "hard, rough, hard to comb or fragile hair or short pebbly hair.
3. I do not think that God created black women with hair that was unable to grow long. or show length or that the boundary was set for just a big ole afro for black women and all other women could have long hair. God is not partial.
4. I do believe that as far as genetics are concerned, that our hair texture is a trait that has been bred or engineered for the benefit of the powers that be who did not intend that we be seen as equally naturallydesirable, feel beautiful or feel empowered among our female human peers.
5. Why should black women be content NOT TO HAVE LONG HAIR any more than we all have 10 fingers and toes (unless we have something missing.)as if we are not entitled. Like there is a big sign that says "Not for you black women!"
6. I do not believe what the world teaches, that there are several races that evolved. I only believe in what the word says were created: families, tribes, nations, and tongues. Any other definition of mankind is one that has been manufactured to foment division, create chaos, and assure riches for some and poverty for others, and it is a monstrous lie that has held people in mental and economic bondage throughout many centuries. If we believe the lies then we have to ask why some some mysterious boundary line STOPPED AT THE DARK RACES!!! and use our minds and wisdom instead of swallowing "racist" theories".
7. Oh yes. I believe that there is a lot more to our hair than meets the natural eye.
I love our thick healthy bushy curly hair and it is good. But the not having ability to grow it long without jumping through hoops, I believe someone and something else is involved in this. The curse of slavery,(not God's!) the curse of baldness, the curse of submission that was a result of European greed! That's what I believe. My opinion. It may not agree with Massa's explanation. bonjour

Last edited:

Crissi

Mahalialee4 said:
This is really a deep deep matter. I believe that the questioner was asking something far deeper than many of us have ever questioned. I was just thinking about this and have been for sometime now. My conclusion:
1. There is something spiritual behind the struggle for black women
2. We were not born with "hard, rough, hard to comb or fragile hair
3. I do not think that God created black women with hair that was unable to grow long. or show length or that the boundary was set for just a big ole afro for black women and all other women could have long hair. God is not partial.
4. I do believe that as far as genetics are concerned, that our hair texture is a trait that has been bred or engineered for the benefit of the powers that be who did not intend that we be desirable, feel beautiful or feel empowered.
5. Why should black women be content NOT TO HAVE LONG HAIR any more than we all have 10 fingers and toes unless we have something missing.
6. I do not believe what the world teaches, that there are several races. I only believe in what the word says: families, tribes, nations, and tongues. Any other definition of mankind is one that has been manufactured to foment division, create chaos, and assure riches for some and poverty for others.
7. Oh yes. I believe that there is a lot more to our hair than meets the eye.
I love our thick healthy bushy curly hair and it is good. But the not having ability to grow it long without jumping through hoops, I believe someone and something else is involved in this. The curse of slavery, the curse of baldness, the curse of submission. That's what I believe. My opinion. It may not agree with Massa's explanation. bonjour

PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can i get an amen! in other words ITA lol

ETA: Oh the part in the red GREAT ANALOGY

Farida

I still stand by the knowledge of having seen girls all my life struggle to grow their hair without success. Not girls with perms or texturizers or blow outs, but natural hair having their hair done by experienced african women.
Traditional African women (I can't speak for all of africa) but in East Africa wore their hair cropped like a boy's. I've seen lots of children of all other races as young as 5 years old with hair down to their waists, yet I can't recall seeing a black little girl with hair that long, except a girl with mixed ancestry.
I have read that 4a and 4b black hair has less cuticle layers than other types of hair and that is why it is tough to grow it long. I have watched my roommates and friends cut & grow their hair in a year.

Yes, I am one who had "long" hair, by long meaning it was a few inches off my shoulder, but it took me 15 years to get there, something that takes my other race friends 3 or 4 years to do.

I don't have a problem with the way black hair looks. I grew up around pple who all had the same hair and a few indians here and there. i just wish i could wash and wear it, sleep, swim, blow-dry etc I am sooo frustrated!

kimbaparis

Taij said:
Hit the nail on the head! Of course our hair wasn't meant to be this difficult. But like flower hair said (and a lot of others) we are trying to make our hair do something it was never designed to do. If you relax your hair, that process alone takes away so much from the natural hair, its a given that challenges arise.

On top of that, natural tightly coiled hair is already predisposed to breakage. Each bend, each turn of the coil creates a weak point that doesn't exist with straight hair.

Its not that our hair is difficult. Its what we are trying to do to our hair that makes it difficult. If things were the other way around, it wouldn't even be an issue. We wouldn't want straight or wavy or even curly 3b hair. Everyone would want OUR hair and their hair would be messed up trying to acheive it.

If you want to relax your hair (I'm speaking in general -- not just at the OP) then accept the work that comes with it. For me, taking care of my relaxed hair is easier than taking care of my natural hair. This is because I prefer straight styles and do not enjoy wearing natural styles all the time. It may be the opposite for someone else. But I do not believe our hair is difficult. Our hair is whatever we make it to be and that's the beauty of it.

i agree, many of us are trying to make our hair behave against its nature, so we just have to accept that it will require a lot of work. my hair only wants to be short and kinky. after that it tangles. the reason my mother gave my sister and i relaxers when we were little was because of me--i cried and cried when she combed my hair because it was so knotty (my sisters is more 3c-4a ish) and she didn't want us to be different, but she either had to cut mine very short or deal with the tears and she didn't have time to braid it every night. but it's just hair. if we want to dye it pink or grow it long, or go bald does it really matter so much? it's a personal choice and one of the reasons i stay away from the natural boards is that i cannot handle the sanctimoniousnous. over hair!!!!

but one thing i do have to say: if it weren't so hard to handle we all never would have found one another on this forum. i love the comraderie on this forum. i love the global sisterhood. i am often incredibly moved by the support people show one another when they have trying times. so i guess for that i need to thank my yucky old hair.

Isis

Mahalialee4 said:
1. There is something spiritual behind the struggle for black women to grow long hair with ease.
2. We were not born with "hard, rough, hard to comb or fragile hair or short pebbly hair.
4. I do believe that as far as genetics are concerned, that our hair texture is a trait that has been bred or engineered for the benefit of the powers that be who did not intend that we be seen as equally naturallydesirable, feel beautiful or feel empowered among our female human peers.
5. Why should black women be content NOT TO HAVE LONG HAIR any more than we all have 10 fingers and toes (unless we have something missing.)as if we are not entitled. Like there is a big sign that says "Not for you black women!"
6. I do not believe what the world teaches, that there are several races that evolved. I only believe in what the word says were created: families, tribes, nations, and tongues. Any other definition of mankind is one that has been manufactured to foment division, create chaos, and assure riches for some and poverty for others, and it is a monstrous lie that has held people in mental and economic bondage throughout many centuries. If we believe the lies then we have to ask why some some mysterious boundary line STOPPED AT THE DARK RACES!!! and use our minds and wisdom instead of swallowing "racist" theories".
7. Oh yes. I believe that there is a lot more to our hair than meets the natural eye.
I love our thick healthy bushy curly hair and it is good. But the not having ability to grow it long without jumping through hoops, I believe someone and something else is involved in this. The curse of slavery,(not God's!) the curse of baldness, the curse of submission that was a result of European greed! That's what I believe. My opinion. It may not agree with Massa's explanation. bonjour
Yours is a very interesting post for many reasons...

nijilah

I agree with the environment and socialization points.

Environment: You most likely have hard water in your house. We have hard water but my in-laws have soft water. Things like that make a difference in my hair.

Socialization: When you fight against with what is natural, it is work. I know many white girls with brown curly hair when we were children and now they have blond straight hair. Trust me, it is a task for them to keep their hair looking like that! And they also face breakage from the dying and blow drying straight everyday.

Amarech

but one thing i do have to say: if it weren't so hard to handle we all never would have found one another on this forum. i love the comraderie on this forum. i love the global sisterhood. i am often incredibly moved by the support people show one another when they have trying times. so i guess for that i need to thank my yucky old hair.

I really loved how you put that! Beautiful!!!! :)

firecracker

I definitely disagree with the ideology that we were not meant to have long hair.:(

Our hair comes/grows in all lengths, textures, etc.
I come from a history of women that have/had long hair of varied textures with and without chemical treatment. We go from long, short to bald without care in the world. Its simply hair and it will grow.

I really never could understand the quest for a certain/one length or texture:confused: As women we usually want to change it up no matter what and often. Today you may want curls, tommorrow straight, yesterday shoulder length, next week ear length, next bsl w/ringlets, bald etc. :)

I cannot fathom length retention issues but I am sure I would be concerned if my hair was falling out or something suddenly.:(

I don't know I just think hair isn't that important and simply just hair.:(

Also not everyone joined this board due to hair issues or for their hair. I sure didn't. I joined after a coworker showed me the off topic funny stories.
I have learned alot here about all kinds of things.

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

I want to believe that I can grow my hair to at least brastrap. :ohwell:
I don't want to believe long hair is for every other race BUT black women.

But, I am conflicted. I couldn't maintain my ends when I was natural. No amount of protective styling, moisture, airdrying, conditioner washing, etc would help my hair grow out. I babied my hair for over 3 years yet it still broke off at the same rate it grew. I finally decided to relax thinking I could manage my ends better if they were straight. I'm seeing a little progress but nothing dramatic...yet. So why do I have to go through all the mental gymnastics to grow hair? I LOVE LHCF, but women of other races don't have to get help to grow their hair to brastrap. That's like short for them.