Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

Definitely try it out! I’ve only done the full regimen, word for word, a handful of times. I’ve modified it to a point that it can’t really be called the MHM anymore. :lol: But some of the things I picked up from the regimen have been game changers for my WnGs. Bentonite clay being #1. Along with the smoothing technique she uses to apply every product.

Do you use clay every wash day? I’m also a little worried about clogging my drain pipes with clay.

ckisland

And this is going from wet to dry? Or did you partially air dry... or towel dry first?

I sat under the Pibbs for 1 hour to dry my hair from soaking wet.
I usually plop with a t-shirt for like 10-15 minutes then diffuse. Straight from the shower it's more like 20-ish minutes. I use high speed warm air. When I used to use a bonnet dryer to dry my wash n'go, it took forever for my hair to dry. Sometimes I would go in and use a hand dryer to finish drying.

metro_qt

@metro_qt I was getting ready to compliment your dye job, before reading that it is wax. It looks so good! You applied the wax on wet hair? Does the wax transfer on to things (hands, shirt collars, etc)?
Thank you!!!!
I love this wax.... I applied it on wet hair last night.
they say to blow dry it to set the colour. I did not.
It was very brassy looking last night, but when I woke up, it had faded into a golden brown look,
so I reapplied more this morning on damp chunks and some dry chunks as well...
and that's why some of the areas are brighter than others.

I've seen people do their whole heads and there is slight transfer, especially mixed with whatever
styling products they use, but for me... no transfer, nothing on my collars, my pillow etc
(I wore a satin cap to sleep)

as well, the wax washes right off your hands, so it doesn't stain at all... even if you get pink and green and blue.

Theresamonet

Thank you!!!!
I love this wax.... I applied it on wet hair last night.
they say to blow dry it to set the colour. I did not.
It was very brassy looking last night, but when I woke up, it had faded into a golden brown look,
so I reapplied more this morning on damp chunks and some dry chunks as well...
and that's why some of the areas are brighter than others.

I've seen people do their whole heads and there is slight transfer, especially mixed with whatever
styling products they use, but for me... no transfer, nothing on my collars, my pillow etc
(I wore a satin cap to sleep)

as well, the wax washes right off your hands, so it doesn't stain at all... even if you get pink and green and blue.

Omahgod. I was scrolling through their Instagram. :drool: I’m about to have every color.

GettingKinky

When I look at my hair in low light I really like the way it looks, but in good lighting it looks so dry. MHM here I come.

Any recommendations for a good blow dryer?

GettingKinky

I’m trying to convince myself to wear my hair curly to work on Monday. I have 2 concerns

1- I still don’t completely like the way it looks, but I figure if I wear it this way every day I will get better at it faster
2- I don’t want to have to answer questions from my coworkers or even if they don’t say anything I know I will get lots of doublw takes.

I just need to be brave

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I’m trying to convince myself to wear my hair curly to work on Monday. I have 2 concerns

1- I still don’t completely like the way it looks, but I figure if I wear it this way every day I will get better at it faster
2- I don’t want to have to answer questions from my coworkers or even if they don’t say anything I know I will get lots of doublw takes.

I just need to be brave

I was really self conscious the first time I wore my hair curly to work. I still am on occasion because I don't like the current shape. But every time I wear it curly, I get compliments from my coworkers and random people to my surprise. Sometimes bravery is 90% of the battle.

ckisland

I couldn't wait another day to wash my hair, so I did my first diy mud wash. It was everything!!!!! :love::love::love: I mixed 2oz of bentonite clay with WV, AVJ, glycerin, some of my oil mix, and essential oils. My hair was so soft and defined and easy to detangle :yay:. My shed hair to breakage ratio was so much better LOL! This is my hair after rinsing and spritzing with AVJ
20190102_013430-768x1024.jpg 20190102_013317-768x1024.jpg 20190102_013257-768x1024.jpg

I'm pretty sure plopping afterwards was a mistake. My hair lost all curl definition o_O. It's cute today, but it was so pretty last night.

I might do the mud wash again and see how it looks when I just purely airdry.

GettingKinky

@ckisland

Did you use gel? If so did you plop before or after you used the gel?

I’m going to clay wash today and I was planning to just use clay and water, but I wonder if I should add more ingredients.

ckisland

@ckisland

I’m going to clay wash today and I was planning to just use clay and water, but I wonder if I should add more ingredients.
I don't use gel. I only use homemade ingredients now, and FSG makes my wash n'gos so crispy and dry :nono:. When I did use gel (EcoStyler mainly), I would plop after using gel and get really good results because the t-shirt got rid of some of the excess product. Using no products just sucked the water out of my hair LOL!!

Some find bentonite clay drying. I've never personally had that issue. It's very moisturizing for my hair. I would at least use ACV instead of water, and adding some extras only makes it better :yep:

ckisland

I've been in this thread a lot :look: . I'm going to go ahead and join LOL!

Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc)

My hair is wiry (kinky), 3c/4a/4b, super low porosity, and APL
What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc)
I wash 1-2x a week with water, WV, or clay wash
I DC with coconut milk, honey mask or clay mask
I moisturize with AVJ and seal with CO or a little oil mix
I maintain my hair by pineappling or sleeping on it loose
What are your length goals from joining this challenge?
I want to hit WL by Dec.
What are your styling goals from joining this challenge?
I want to figure out how to maintain an essentially product-free wash n'go. I want to get wearable multiple day hair.
Any current struggles or concerns?
I'm worried about SSKs, tangling, and breakage while detangling

Theresamonet

@ckisland

It what step are you using the clay? For maximum definition, I’d recommend using the clay as a mask instead of a wash. I started off adding oil and honey to my mask. Now I just add enough oil to make it slippery enough to mix and spread throughout my hair well. Bentonite is very moisturizing for me.

oneastrocurlie

What techniques did they use at the salon?

No shampoo (They are anti-silicone. I don't 100% not use shampoo but I do cowash 90% of the time and I do try to avoid silicones these days because I don't want to use sulfates due to having color in my hair)
Use a lot of conditioner and thoroughly raking it through
Leave in some of the conditioner when rinsing
Styling hair while it super wet

They only style some people with conditioner and that's it. And it turns out great. They only used gel on me that second time I went because I said I wanted a little hold to make my wng last longer.

GettingKinky

It what step are you using the clay? For maximum definition, I’d recommend using the clay as a mask instead of a wash. I started off adding oil and honey to my mask. Now I just add enough oil to make it slippery enough to mix and spread throughout my hair well. Bentonite is very moisturizing for me.

I’m planning to do the following:

1 - cherry lola - just the basic yogurt + baking soda + liquid amino acids

2 - condition with KCKT

3 - clay - I was planning to mix clay with water and then letting it sit on my hair for ~20 minutes

4 - leave in conditioner - KCKT

5 - gel - KCCC