Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Evolving78

Does anyone have an alternative to mielle pomegranate coil custard? I like the product but the smell is too much. I want something unscented or low scented.
Cantù has a custard I might try, but nothing else out there like it. Big Poppa gel (The Doux) gives my child similar results, but not does provide the soft cast that Mielle provides. Mielle custard seems to be the best. (I hate to say it) It works well on my hair.

DVAntDany

Today is the first wash n go I’ve done in 2 months. I used various leave-in conditioners and miche gel to foam mousse. I think I like the results on damper hair with more based leave-ins. I didn’t towel dry my hair this time.

On the left side of the picture, I applied product right out of the shower. I used mostly serums and spray leave-ins. The very back I use a lotion like leave-in. I see less shine, more puffiness and more shrinkage. However, it feels significantly lighter than the other side.

One the right side of the pic, I applied product on my hair about 15 minutes after air drying. I have more elongation, definition and shine. The used the same lotion leave-in as the left side along with other ones. They seemed to condition the hair better and provided more weight. My hair feels softer.

This process drastically increases both styling and drying time compared to mousse used alone. It took about 30 mins to style vs 15 mins. It took about 45 to hr to dry vs 15 mins. However, it’s not as gruesome as waiting for my hair to dry with gel in it. I also have way more shine and there were no snags or tangles when applying the mousse.
IMG_1698.jpeg

I used Mielle’s Pom and Honey leave-in and mousse back during Labor Day weekend. It took about the same amount of time to apply and dry my hair. The leave-in helped tremendously with slip. I have no idea about longevity because I went swimming the next morning. I also stretched the roots out some to get better volume.
IMG_20230902_175110906_HDR.jpeg

I really hope this will work over night. It would be even better if it can last a few days. This might be the answer to my wash n go woes.

DVAntDany

Today is day 3 of my wash n go with leave-in. I've been putting my hair up at night in a buff to maintain the style. Its obvious that the weighed down side is behaving better over time. Beyond looks, I noticed that the fluffier side keeps catching on things. This makes my decision to start using heavier leave-in products under mousse a no brainer.

I won't have time to do my hair until Wednesday. I'm hoping this can last until then. I don't want to put myself in a situation where I will experience extreme tangling due to my hair puffing up and having no definition.

What surprises me the most is that leave-in doesn't seem to effect the hold of mousse/foam as much as it does gel.

IMG_1719.jpegIMG_1713.jpegIMG_1718.jpeg

yamilee21

I have been missing out… all this time, I have been doing my daughter’s wash & go/twistouts by layering leave-in creams, shea butter mixes, Eco Style gel, etc. We get at most 3 days, and then I usually have to restyle, with a twistout. A few weeks ago, she won a jar of Mielle Coil Sculpting Custard. I used it by itself in her hair this past wash, nothing else. We’ve barely had to do anything to her hair this week, just the tiniest spritz of water/aloe vera to refresh. I’m so late to it, but this product is amazing. I’ve always shied away from these kinds of products because they’re relatively expensive, and the jars/bottles are small, but I am definitely rethinking things. I haven’t tried it on my own hair yet, but if it works equally well, I just may convert. :lol:

DVAntDany

I keep going back and forth between wearing my hair straight and wearing it in a wash and go. Right now, I'm in wash n go mode. The last wash n go I used Tresemme Keratin Leave-in lotion and The Doux Mousse Def. My hair felt crunchy like easter basket grass even though the leave-in provided great slip. It softened up some after a while. I at first slept with a My Mauves satin head wrap It distorted the shape but easily laid back down properly after the steam hit it from the shower. Then I just slept without anything on my hair for a few days. This is the result of 5 days with that combo.
IMG_2346.jpegIMG_2347.jpeg

I just washed my hair this morning. I used Johnson's Kids curl defining leave-in conditioner and Bronner Brothers Foam Moisturizing Wrapping Lotion. The Johnson's leave-in conditioner has some weight to it and actual defining properties. It wasn't white in my head either. I avoided putting too much on like I would if I were using it as a solo styler. I might have still used too much. I chose the BB foam wrapping lotion because the holding ingredient is polyquarternium 55. Its not like the rest of those polyquat 55 foaming mousses. It's not sticky at all. It has great slip on its own. It felt like a polyquaternium 11 mousse. I cant say if the hold and definition is from the mousse or the leave-in. I might try this wrapping lotion by itself or with something lighter. Overall, my hair is very soft. I’m not sure if it is going to last that long, but we shall see.

IMG_2348.jpegIMG_2349.jpegIMG_2350.jpeg

DVAntDany

I have been missing out… all this time, I have been doing my daughter’s wash & go/twistouts by layering leave-in creams, shea butter mixes, Eco Style gel, etc. We get at most 3 days, and then I usually have to restyle, with a twistout. A few weeks ago, she won a jar of Mielle Coil Sculpting Custard. I used it by itself in her hair this past wash, nothing else. We’ve barely had to do anything to her hair this week, just the tiniest spritz of water/aloe vera to refresh. I’m so late to it, but this product is amazing. I’ve always shied away from these kinds of products because they’re relatively expensive, and the jars/bottles are small, but I am definitely rethinking things. I haven’t tried it on my own hair yet, but if it works equally well, I just may convert. :lol:
I swear that Mielle Coil Sculpting Custard was my gateway into wearing wash and goes. I never had to use it with anything else and it was love at first use. I still enjoy using it.

If push comes to shove, you can pick up those sample packets at dollar general and family dollar. That’s how I even got around to trying it.

I always heard people complain about it not having enough hold. That is total dependent on how wet your hair is. So if you find it doesn’t last long when you try it on your hair, then use it on wet hair instead of soaking wet hair.

Evolving78

I have like 3 jars and I use a foam, so that helps with stretching the product. I use it on me and my two teens. But a little plus water goes a long way. It takes a lot for us to go through one jar. The Mielle mousse is ok, I like that on one kid, but I use other foams.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Hey my wash n go beauties. I’m coming up on three years of being loc’d. I miss coming in here seeing all your beautiful wash n goes. I love having Locs though. I’ll have come in here more often.