Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

Does anyone shake instead of rake? It seems like shaking could be quicker (but messier)
When my haircut was longer I would rake my hair when styling, but when I finished I would lean back in the shower and shake my hair left to right to separate the curls even more. It gave me extra separation and a little more volume.

I’m not sure it would work as an alternative to raking, but maybe give it a shot?

LavenderMint

My curly cut refresh for this Friday was cancelled. They say I didn’t confirm with their system. I never got any communication TO confirm. Then I find out the owner has a class that day and the other stylist (the one who originally cut my hair back in Oct) can’t take me because she has a color appointment. I hate to think it but it felt like my appointment was just cancelled because of the owner. To add to that frustration, my schedule is not flexible enough to just pop in whenever, which is why I tend to schedule 2-3months ahead. Ugh. Whatever. I’ll just keep it moving for now.

Washing Friday. I’m curious to try a wng with KCCC & KCKT again. I haven’t used them since October, before hanging out in the digital salon so I might get a new different result but I don’t know.

faithVA

Does anyone shake instead of rake? It seems like shaking could be quicker (but messier)
I shake but it is because my coils are small and they need that force to cause them to cling together. I smooth to get the product to adhere to my coils and then I shake. Even when my hair is longer I have a feeling I will be a shaker :lol:

I think things to consider are 1) coil/curl size 2) whether your hair clumps easily on its own 3) how much volume you want

LavenderMint

I have to make up my mind if I’m going to dye the front of my hair again.

I kinda wanna try hair color from As I am.
I reallllllly want to try the CurlSmith colors but I’m not confident on the hold of that gel.

@toaster I love the shape of embracenaturalbeauty’s hair and I could totally see your hair like that in the future.
Thinking back on it, my hair by hung down more before my cut but it’s always had TONS of volume. I wonder what it would look like with just minimal cuts like she does....

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I reallllllly want to try the CurlSmith colors but I’m not confident on the hold of that gel.

@toaster I love the shape of embracenaturalbeauty’s hair and I could totally see your hair like that in the future.
Thinking back on it, my hair by hung down more before my cut but it’s always had TONS of volume. I wonder what it would look like with just minimal cuts like she does....
@LavenderMint I was thinking the same thing.

EmmJaii

Washed my hair this morning and tried the KCKT and ICH combo. I was surprised how the KCKT defined my curls, didn’t expect it to since it’s not technically a styler. When I added the ICH on top, my hair immediately felt dry, and it was kind of hard to rake until I added more water. Despite that, my curls clumped really well and I like the outcome so far. It was a quick wash n go, took 1hr 5 mins from stepping into the shower to sitting at the dryer.

I’m including a photo of my hair 90%dry, not yet fluffed or stretched. This is also my first time trying a deep side part. Idk how I feel about it the part yet. It’ll prob look better once I fluff.
EB6231DA-4008-4EE9-A0B0-A3BA8DCD9169.jpeg

faithVA

My curly cut refresh for this Friday was cancelled. They say I didn’t confirm with their system. I never got any communication TO confirm. Then I find out the owner has a class that day and the other stylist (the one who originally cut my hair back in Oct) can’t take me because she has a color appointment. I hate to think it but it felt like my appointment was just cancelled because of the owner. To add to that frustration, my schedule is not flexible enough to just pop in whenever, which is why I tend to schedule 2-3months ahead. Ugh. Whatever. I’ll just keep it moving for now.

Washing Friday. I’m curious to try a wng with KCCC & KCKT again. I haven’t used them since October, before hanging out in the digital salon so I might get a new different result but I don’t know.
It might be a good thing it was canceled. It sounds like you might want to start looking for a more professional salon. They sound a little sketchy.

EmmJaii

Wow @GettingKinky @EmmJaii your hair is gorgeous!!!

@GettingKinky i don’t think you need nearly as much of a haircut as you always say. You can get a shape and still be shoulder length by the end of the year.

@EmmJaii i love the deep part on you! How do you stretch your hair?
Thank you! It’s weird having so much hair on one side of my head lol.

I typically do a light blow dry stretch by pulling my hair while blowing warm air on low speed down the hair shaft in large sections. Nothing crazy, just enough to get the shape I like. However, if it’s humid or if I’m not going anywhere, I’ll use the banding method with satin scrunchies. I split my hair into 6 sections (bangs, left side, right side, crown, bottom left and bottom right) and stretch one scrunchy down each section for a few hours.

GettingKinky

Wow @GettingKinky @EmmJaii your hair is gorgeous!!!

@GettingKinky i don’t think you need nearly as much of a haircut as you always say. You can get a shape and still be shoulder length by the end of the year.

@EmmJaii i love the deep part on you! How do you stretch your hair?
Lately I’ve been thinking that maybe I don’t need to cut so much off. And given that the stylist I want to see has no plans to open anytime soon I probably won’t get a cut for a long time.

faithVA

Lately I’ve been thinking that maybe I don’t need to cut so much off. And given that the stylist I want to see has no plans to open anytime soon I probably won’t get a cut for a long time.
You can just trim your own ends lightly and keep your hair healthy.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I rinsed and restyled yesterday, let my hair dry, then pulled into a quick updo. My hair looks good but I prefer Embrace Natural Beauty's application technique* over the A's because it results in larger curl clumps and gives a more controlled look.

*apply UFD, twist, then style damp hair while smoothing very well.

GettingKinky

I rinsed and restyled yesterday, let my hair dry, then pulled into a quick updo. My hair looks good but I prefer Embrace Natural Beauty's application technique* over the A's because it results in larger curl clumps and gives a more controlled look.

I LOVE her hair, but I know that I don’t have the patience to style the way she does. Having to wait a few hours for my hair to partially dry before applying my topper gel and spending close to an hour raking and smoothing is not me. But I really like how with that technique she gets minimal shrinkage (or maybe her hair doesn’t shrink a lot no matter what)
Maybe for a special occasion, but definitely not every week.
If I had known that earthtones was black owned I would have gotten that instead of jello shot. I’m not looking forward to storing that in the fridge.

EmmJaii

Her hair is gorgeous. It makes me want to try the earth tones gel but I need to stop spending money. Have you actually tried her application technique yet? I’m curious how long it would take and how well it works for someone with hair that isn’t as long as hers.

EmmJaii

My wash n go decided to swell after my workout today and I’m not sure it’s going to last more than a couple days. I also noticed tiny flakes all over my black shirt. I was really hoping the KCKT would work out because I have so much of it and I don’t want to toss it. Maybe I’ll try it again? Any ideas? If not, I think I’ll have to go back to my staple with UFD and ICH as a topper. Sigh.

LavenderMint

I think everyone here is right & I should keep an eye open for a new salon. It’s just very hard. The salon I went to before this one, I left feeling like they had too little experience in tightly coily hair. I typically made appointments for trims every 3-4 months but I know she had weekly clients before. There don’t really seem to be many salons that will do curly cuts or wng on tightly coily hair in my area.

House of Beauty is about to get my order for a standing dryer. I keep looking & closing the tab. And then going back.

LavenderMint

I tried UFD only today. I don’t have much of a cast so, I don’t feel like it’s going to last a long time. But I only need it to make it until Saturday.
For me nothing beats ICH it has such great smoothing/hold.
Question (because my wng is UFD only too): did you get sticky ends? This happens for me with UFD & KCCC (and the KC was diluted with a lot of water). It even happened when it was done at the salon.