Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

Did my midweek wash. Used knot today and pop lock glaze. I think I’ll get good results, but the application process was not good. Pop lock lost all of its slip on top of the knot today. It was hard to rake!

I think on Sunday I’ll try pop lock over QCCC. If that doesn’t work, I’ll keep using it alone and over the earthtones butter. That was honestly one of my best wash and go’s. It was soft, had movement, held up during my workouts and didn’t frizz or shrink a ton.

GettingKinky

I did a reset this morning. I used a cleansing conditioner and then followed that with the UFD and Aunt Jackie's. I'm not sure if the cleansing conditioner is not enough to remove all of the product or if it coats my hair too much. But I wasn't able to get much definition in my hair after rinsing. And my gel can only do so much. Fortunately, that was the last of my cleansing conditioner.

What I realize that if my curls aren't defined easily in the shower, I'm not saving any time. I may save time in the cleanse and condition step but make up for it in the style step.

Now mid-week I am thinking of just doing my weekend routine but just shampoo once. Since my shampoo is diluted, it should not be as harsh on my hair every 3 days. That's next up for next week.

I’ve never been a fan of cowashing and I’ve never tried a cleansing conditioner. I may over shampoo my hair, but I always get my best results after shampooing. I think you should be fine with a diluted moisture poo for your midweek styling.

faithVA

I’ve never been a fan of cowashing and I’ve never tried a cleansing conditioner. I may over shampoo my hair, but I always get my best results after shampooing. I think you should be fine with a diluted moisture poo for your midweek styling.
A cleansing conditioner is pretty much just a creamy shampoo :lol: It works great when I am doing some type of twist style. But definitely going to try the shampoo mid-week and see how that goes. I'm definitely looking forward to fewer products in my cabinet :yep:

toaster

That's a problem? I'm confused :perplexed:
Usually, no! But when I applied the pop lock over the knot today it felt like the products were fighting each other. There was zero slip. Almost felt like the water was removed from my hair or something.

I know it wasn’t, because my hair feels heavy like it does when it’s full of water. And the products didn’t bead up or anything, but the application process was horrible! I could barely take my fingers through to style.

Depending on how my hair reacts this week, I’ll try it again.

DVAntDany

Are you finished yet :rofl: Just kidding :biggrin:
Ooh wee, I’m not sure I’ll ever finish. I’m trying to catch on the name of brands and all of those acronyms. This might take a while.

Would it be appropriate to give reviews of products on here? I got a little too happy when Mielle had 30% off online along with the new customer 20% off code and purchased a lot. So I’ve tried several of their products and can tell you my thoughts.

DVAntDany

A cleansing conditioner is pretty much just a creamy shampoo :lol: It works great when I am doing some type of twist style. But definitely going to try the shampoo mid-week and see how that goes. I'm definitely looking forward to fewer products in my cabinet :yep:
I’m scared of conditioner on my scalp. Even now, I put it a half inch to full inch from my scalp. I may try a cleansing conditioner if it is truly just a moisturizing shampoo.

Do you all just use it so you can have a fresh restyle rather than to focus on cleaning your scalp? I don’t want to potentially dry my hair out although I’ve never had that problem before.

faithVA

Usually, no! But when I applied the pop lock over the knot today it felt like the products were fighting each other. There was zero slip. Almost felt like the water was removed from my hair or something.

I know it wasn’t, because my hair feels heavy like it does when it’s full of water. And the products didn’t bead up or anything, but the application process was horrible! I could barely take my fingers through to style.

Depending on how my hair reacts this week, I’ll try it again.
My hair reacts that way when I try to use a flaxseed gel. It has an astringent type feeling. Maybe the combination is causing a similar reaction.

faithVA

Ooh wee, I’m not sure I’ll ever finish. I’m trying to catch on the name of brands and all of those acronyms. This might take a while.

Would it be appropriate to give reviews of products on here? I got a little too happy when Mielle had 30% off online along with the new customer 20% off code and purchased a lot. So I’ve tried several of their products and can tell you my thoughts.
Definitely let us know how you use and what you like or don't like about a product. That's the only way the ladies can make sure they remain product junkies :lol:

faithVA

I’m scared of conditioner on my scalp. Even now, I put it a half inch to full inch from my scalp. I may try a cleansing conditioner if it is truly just a moisturizing shampoo.

Do you all just use it so you can have a fresh restyle rather than to focus on cleaning your scalp? I don’t want to potentially dry my hair out although I’ve never had that problem before.
My hair tends to be on the dry side so I'm still playing around with different cleansing products and techniques. It isn't something I would suggest for you since your hair doesn't appear to be dry at all.

I'm the only one that uses a cleansing conditioner in this thread as far as I know. And I'm just trying to see if various products work mid-week.

My hair is a bit different from many ladies in this thread. I wouldn't use what I do as a base for anything :lol: Some heads can use just about anything. I have a very narrow window of products that I can use on my head. And I'm still trying to figure those out.

I've never been afraid of conditioner on my scalp although I know many are. I've never noticed them doing anything special at the salon so I just do what they do.

Just use what you have and what is working for you.

DVAntDany

My hair tends to be on the dry side so I'm still playing around with different cleansing products and techniques. It isn't something I would suggest for you since your hair doesn't appear to be dry at all.

I'm the only one that uses a cleansing conditioner in this thread as far as I know. And I'm just trying to see if various products work mid-week.

My hair is a bit different from many ladies in this thread. I wouldn't use what I do as a base for anything :lol: Some heads can use just about anything. I have a very narrow window of products that I can use on my head. And I'm still trying to figure those out.

I've never been afraid of conditioner on my scalp although I know many are. I've never noticed them doing anything special at the salon so I just do what they do.

Just use what you have and what is working for you.
When my scalp is not acting up and making wet dandruff, it also can easily build up what I think is solidified sebum. It’s thick, white, creamy and pretty much water repellent. I have to pull out the big guns to remove this. It can take days and several washes to get rid of this.

Besides conditioner not doing a thing for my scalp beyond making it gunky, I suffered from hygral fatigue about 5 years back. I had virigin hair and never used heat on it.

It became so bad that it started stretching like bubblegum when wet. I was predominantly using the Deva Curl Decadence Line when it became its worst. :lol: Shortly after that, I switched to diy micro-locs and stopped using conditioner completely. My hair thanked me.

I just experienced a PTSD flashback to the days I use to co-wash. Yeah, I’ll take your advice and stick to what is working.

faithVA

When my scalp is not acting up and making wet dandruff, it also can easily build up what I think is solidified sebum. It’s thick, white, creamy and pretty much water repellent. I have to pull out the big guns to remove this. It can take days and several washes to get rid of this.

Besides conditioner not doing a thing for my scalp beyond making it gunky, I suffered from hygral fatigue about 5 years back. I had virigin hair and never used heat on it.

It became so bad that it started stretching like bubblegum when wet. I was predominantly using the Deva Curl Decadence Line when it became its worst. :lol: Shortly after that, I switched to diy micro-locs and stopped using conditioner completely. My hair thanked me.

I just experienced a PTSD flashback to the days I use to co-wash. Yeah, I’ll take your advice and stick to what is working.
:rofl: Yep, definitely stick with what works for you. My scalp has never seen sebum and my hair would laugh at water actually getting into it. There is no one fits all.

I'm glad you have your scalp issues under control.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Dang you have me tempted! @LavenderMint

I hate to admit this but I still havent washed J's hair yall. LOL That wash n go has been holding on like fire. Since Jan 18th.
I did put some conditioner on it to detangle it on Saturday but he was whining. So i let it go. I will be doing it again this saturday. That coco black naturals gel is the ultimate styler. I added curl activator gel under it to combat the crunch and it seemed to work. Only problem I foresee is a long detangling process in the back because of the way he sleeps it keeps getting smushed in resulting in tangles.

toaster

@faithVA astringent is exactly how it felt to apply product yesterday! What an odd mix. Oh well, I got a good hairstyle out of it!

@GettingKinky I unfollowed all of them (Aisha, aeleise, black girl curls) a while ago. It really lightened up my timeline. I am super grateful for what I learned from their methods, but the negativity and attitude became too much for me. It also just got really repetitive after a while. I get it. You want me to partner with a stylist. I’m happy to have unfollowed.

toaster

@LavenderMint Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered some curly magic to try under my pop lock. I already know I love it under mousse def.

I think I’ve given up on the idea of a one styler wash and go, unless I’m traveling. If I am traveling, mousse def or pop lock will give me a great wash and go without anything underneath.

bubbles12345

I may have to stop following Aishia on IG. She has gone beyond being snarky to just being mean. And being factually incorrect in her snarkiness.
I learned a lot from her, but she’s just too much
I thought it was just me. They are starting to annoy me. Lol

I think I will leave the Get some curls soon. It's not really that helpful anymore since they got rid of the community and limited it to just a few videos.

There are a lot other nicer curl stylists coming up now fortunately.

GettingKinky

What did she say?

They were ripping on an IG post one of her followers made that was saying why shea butter/coconut oil/ castor oil are bad for hair. But the things she ripped her about weren’t even incorrect. Basically she was telling this woman to stay in her lane, but Aishia was the one who was wrong. It’s like if you aren’t a cosmetologist she thinks you have no right to share hair information.

I also don’t like the way they were going on and on about how you can’t wear a twist out unless you have high density hair.

I think I’m just over her.

faithVA

They were ripping on an IG post one of her followers made that was saying why shea butter/coconut oil/ castor oil are bad for hair. But the things she ripped her about weren’t even incorrect. Basically she was telling this woman to stay in her lane, but Aishia was the one who was wrong. It’s like if you aren’t a cosmetologist she thinks you have no right to share hair information.

I also don’t like the way they were going on and on about how you can’t wear a twist out unless you have high density hair.

I think I’m just over her.
Maybe as they get a little age and wisdom behind them they will soften up.

I still follow them but I don't read too much unless I see something of interest. But I only did the digital for 30 days because I could see it wasn't going to be much of a conversation to learn.

GettingKinky

Maybe as they get a little age and wisdom behind them they will soften up.

I still follow them but I don't read too much unless I see something of interest. But I only did the digital for 30 days because I could see it wasn't going to be much of a conversation to learn.

They aren’t that young. Aishia is at least 40. I think she’s proud of her abrasive personality. I stayed in the DS for the rest of the members definitely not for the As they were only minimally helpful.

kimpaur

I did my hair yesterday and woke up with turrible*in Charles Barkley voice* bed head
:lol:

Ls this week:
*Not making sure I was fully detangled before styling

* lazy banding on not fully dry hair

* Trying a new “saturation” method with Wetline as a base

Usually I apply my Texture ID Styling Cream then the Wetline and my hair is great. My hair likes this combo well enough but I forgot how lackluster Wetline is alone-now I remember!:lol:

Onto the saturation method:
A YouTube fav mentioned her stylist some how saturating her hair in water + applying gel all over yet when she got up from the bowl her hair wasn’t dripping-just heavy and weighed down with water.

That sounded great so I tried it and it worked!-I feel like with this could take my WNGs to another level-with better application and a better gel,of course.

Ws This Week:
*My hair literally stayed weighed down the entire time. I didn’t have to rewet at all. Styling my hair was really easy and I felt like I didn’t NEED so many sections
*Sectioning off with Bantu Knots after applying conditioner. My curls really like this.

To-Do List:
*work on detangling more effectively
* find a better gel(will probably be UFD)
*get a diffuser
*figure out how the heck to cut down my shampooing plus conditioning time.

I feel like my shampooing + detangling sessions wouldn’t take so long if I washed my hair more than once a week. In my newly natural days my hair really liked it when I cowashed +put my hair in a puff every 2 or 3 days.

That’s something I’ll have to revisit once I have my routine + products down.

faithVA

This is the day after reset and I have 3rd day hair today :ohwell: It didn't keep me from going outside looking crazy. I may try to find that q-redew tonight and see if it can be revived. I doubt it. I was going to reset on Sunday but I may bump that up to Saturday.

My color is on the way. I will CCS this weekend and then color next weekend.