Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

I got serious about wearing WnG in 2019. I hated shrinkage so I would always stretch my hair in 2 ponytails while it dried. I used KCKT+ homemade shealoe + wetline to style and never used real shampoo. My hair looked ok in pictures, but it was not in great shape.

Now that I have a better handle on styling, I’m thinking of trying to stretch again because after 2 years (and 3 haircuts) my hair looks the same length maybe even shorter now and my last haircut was in Feb 2020.

View attachment 469871

You should definitely try it. Stretching can't hurt anything.

It's amazing though your curls look totally different. They are larger and more wavelike in the older picture. I can tell your hair is longer in the picture on the right though although they don't hang differently. But that is just because I know what shrinkage really looks like stretched out.

toaster

You should definitely try it. Stretching can't hurt anything.

It's amazing though your curls look totally different. They are larger and more wavelike in the older picture. I can tell your hair is longer in the picture on the right though although they don't hang differently. But that is just because I know what shrinkage really looks like stretched out.
Agreed! The February picture looks great! Super hydrated. Curls defined from root to tip. Gorgeous

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky id definitely try stretching it with your dyson! Diffuse to 90% dry and then hit the roots while pulling the ends to get more length. There are a ton of YouTube videos on this method and it doesn’t look too time consuming.

Have you tried sleeping in a pineapple? That usually stretches my hair as well!

I used to sleep in a pineapple but my hair doesn’t like to come back down.

I think I’ll try the dyson method to stretch it

DVAntDany

Here is a little update. I must say that the A’s know what they are talking about. I tried their technique and I see a big difference.

They do mention in their digital library that they would use the Camille Rose Curl Maker or Mielle Pomegranate & Honey Coil Sculpting Custard if they were in a pinch. You all must know already which one I have by now. :laugh: So I went in with lots of conditioner and detangled. My hair had lots of hang after that.

When I finally got to the gel, I did it initially in the shower. I soaked my head several times with water. Then smoothed the product over and raked the portions in sections. I watched a video by Fo Adunni talking about products that other stylist use that are trained by Black Curl Magic. So I picked up a small tube of Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Gel yesterday to use as a topper. It was said to be used in combo with the coil sculpting custard.

Today’s wash and go had hang immediately after I finished putting product in. I could literally shake my hair. Prior to this, I felt like I had Lego Hair as Linwood from GlamFam would say. The only dryer I own is a soft bonnet one that I never used before. Iwas suffocating my forehead and crushing the curls trying to use it. So that didn’t last long. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to lock in the length.

Today my hair is finally soft. Finally! I think I solved the answer to my problem. So now I just need to figure away to cut back down the drying time. I guess that is where a topper will come into place. So I’ll look into their recommendations as well as Doux Mousse Def. I also should probably invest in a hooded dryer.

DVAntDany

I think when I get this technique perfected I should be able to have root definition throughout my whole head.

Also, I went ahead and subscribed to washandgonaturalhair.com. She fills in the gaps that the A’s are missing. They no longer have the book available and their videos don’t explain the whys. Abena answers simple but logical questions of things like why not use a spray bottle to wet hair. Or even why do you do the smoothing on the outer perimeter before raking it all in. Those little tidbits help people use logical sense when styling their own hair. I guess the A’s reserve that knowledge for their trained stylists.

faithVA

Here is a little update. I must say that the A’s know what they are talking about. I tried their technique and I see a big difference.

They do mention in their digital library that they would use the Camille Rose Curl Maker or Mielle Pomegranate & Honey Coil Sculpting Custard if they were in a pinch. You all must know already which one I have by now. :laugh: So I went in with lots of conditioner and detangled. My hair had lots of hang after that.

When I finally got to the gel, I did it initially in the shower. I soaked my head several times with water. Then smoothed the product over and raked the portions in sections. I watched a video by Fo Adunni talking about products that other stylist use that are trained by Black Curl Magic. So I picked up a small tube of Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Gel yesterday to use as a topper. It was said to be used in combo with the coil sculpting custard.

Today’s wash and go had hang immediately after I finished putting product in. I could literally shake my hair. Prior to this, I felt like I had Lego Hair as Linwood from GlamFam would say. The only dryer I own is a soft bonnet one that I never used before. Iwas suffocating my forehead and crushing the curls trying to use it. So that didn’t last long. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to lock in the length.

Today my hair is finally soft. Finally! I think I solved the answer to my problem. So now I just need to figure away to cut back down the drying time. I guess that is where a topper will come into place. So I’ll look into their recommendations as well as Doux Mousse Def. I also should probably invest in a hooded dryer.

Looks really good. You are definitely onto something.

naturalagain2

You got it girl!! Beautiful!!

faithVA

I think when I get this technique perfected I should be able to have root definition throughout my whole head.

Also, I went ahead and subscribed to washandgonaturalhair.com. She fills in the gaps that the A’s are missing. They no longer have the book available and their videos don’t explain the whys. Abena answers simple but logical questions of things like why not use a spray bottle to wet hair. Or even why do you do the smoothing on the outer perimeter before raking it all in. Those little tidbits help people use logical sense when styling their own hair. I guess the A’s reserve that knowledge for their trained stylists.
Oh I remember her.

DVAntDany

I didn’t know that was a membership site - I probably won’t join. @DVAntDany let me know how you like it.
See what had happened was, while I was searching LSA to see if anyone posted old product master lists, I stumbled upon a video by Fo Adunni. She listed other stylist who specialize in wash and goes. Yes, I was trying to be cheap and see all the budget friendly products that were once approved by the A’s.

I think you can skip Abena. I’m new on the block and I need to absorb all the info. So I feel it’s worth it for now. I’ve made it to page 79 of this forum thread. I don’t think you need to invest in the subscription.

Well, a large portion of her site’s videos are non functioning. They use to highlight products (listed in titles) that were ones people could simply pick up at a local store. She has moved into showing videos that show mainly the currently approved Black Curl Magic products.

I don’t know when these moves were made though. The videos that are available have her and her clients wearing masks. She does several client vids recording client training. She lets them show what they think they know about doing their hair and helps correct mistakes. These videos include all of those answers to whys I was talking about earlier.

colorful_coils

Your hair looks stunning!! Happy to hear that you're getting there.

faithVA

See what had happened was, while I was searching LSA to see if anyone posted old product master lists, I stumbled upon a video by Fo Adunni. She listed other stylist who specialize in wash and goes. Yes, I was trying to be cheap and see all the budget friendly products that were once approved by the A’s.

I think you can skip Abena. I’m new on the block and I need to absorb all the info. So I feel it’s worth it for now. I’ve made it to page 79 of this forum thread. I don’t think you need to invest in the subscription.

Well, a large portion of her site’s videos are non functioning. They use to highlight products (listed in titles) that were ones people could simply pick up at a local store. She has moved into showing videos that show mainly the currently approved Black Curl Magic products.

I don’t know when these moves were made though. The videos that are available have her and her clients wearing masks. She does several client vids recording client training. She lets them show what they think they know about doing their hair and helps correct mistakes. These videos include all of those answers to whys I was talking about earlier.
It sounds like the videos could be useful. Please keep us updated. As my hair gets longer I will probably need some tips.

toaster

I had a good mid-week wash today. My new curly magic must have a different pump? Four pumps was a LOT of product, so I used 12 all over my head and pop lock on top. Dried shiny in the parts of my hair that have a silkier/reflective texture, nice and matte in the parts of my hair that don’t. Very easy to rake through my hair. Overall a winner.

DVAntDany

I had a good mid-week wash today. My new curly magic must have a different pump? Four pumps was a LOT of product, so I used 12 all over my head and pop lock on top. Dried shiny in the parts of my hair that have a silkier/reflective texture, nice and matte in the parts of my hair that don’t. Very easy to rake through my hair. Overall a winner.
How long do you think a bottle of curly magic usually lasts? Using botanical base gels on saturated wet hair seems to a lot of product.

DVAntDany

I bought the liter size and I’m definitely heavy handed, but it will last months for sure. 4-5 months at least?!
That doesn’t sound bad at all. Now where can I purchase that. I only see the 18oz on their site. Am I looking in the wrong spot because I found only Squeaky and Richee Rich in liter sizes?

GettingKinky

I skipped my mid week wash again. Jello shot has really extended the life of my WnG. Usually by Wednesday I have to wear my hair up because I have too much frizz. I will definitely make this a staple.

I’ll just have to make room in my fridge because it takes a long time for it to come once it’s ordered.

DVAntDany

I skipped my mid week wash again. Jello shot has really extended the life of my WnG. Usually by Wednesday I have to wear my hair up because I have too much frizz. I will definitely make this a staple.

I’ll just have to make room in my fridge because it takes a long time for it to come once it’s ordered.
So Jell-O shot has to be refrigerated or has a short shelf life?

DVAntDany

I don’t know if this has been mentioned on here already but another virtual salon focusing on wash and goes is HydraBar. They are the lowest priced yet has the most modern looking interface plus an app. I just joined. It was another one mentioned in the vid I listened too. I keep you all updated on these “schools.”

bubbles12345

I don’t know if this has been mentioned on here already but another virtual salon focusing on wash and goes is HydraBar. They are the lowest priced yet has the most modern looking interface plus an app. I just joined. It was another one mentioned in the vid I listened too. I keep you all updated on these “schools.”

I love your dedication. I'm looking for another school to join. A lot of these stylists are making their own so I'm excited to see what else is out there.

Y'all I did the kinky curly system today and ...
I think I love her. Lol. Let's see how it holds up in the morning first though....

GettingKinky

All all of these “schools” run by Cut it Kinky Alum?

toaster

All all of these “schools” run by Cut it Kinky Alum?
I think LouLou is starting some sort of education service for licensed stylists. I know she’s not a Cut It Kinky alum, but I’m starting to think the groundwork has been laid for all of these natural stylists to become “educators.”

The key is that you have to tell your students they MUST PARTNER WITH A STYLIST AND THEY ONLY NEED TO MASTER ONE HAIR STYLE so the consumer knows enough to make their job easy, but not enough to not need a stylist.

Starting to think this is a multi level marketing scam.

bubbles12345

The Kinky curly knot today / custard combo helped my wash and go last through the night for the first time ever!!! I'm so excited lol. I know this isn't the most popular combo but it seems to work for me and my current skillset/length/hydration levels. (The UFD/ICH combo is hard for me. The UFD is fine, but I can't get the ICH to act right.)

Let's see if I can make it to day 3 with this combo!

I can't wait until my twa grows out...I think it will be so much easier to apply products and have the weight of my hair make things last longer with more definition.

DVAntDany

I think LouLou is starting some sort of education service for licensed stylists. I know she’s not a Cut It Kinky alum, but I’m starting to think the groundwork has been laid for all of these natural stylists to become “educators.”

The key is that you have to tell your students they MUST PARTNER WITH A STYLIST AND THEY ONLY NEED TO MASTER ONE HAIR STYLE so the consumer knows enough to make their job easy, but not enough to not need a stylist.

Starting to think this is a multi level marketing scam.
That’s a cosmetologist’s dream. Who wouldn’t want to have clients with hair in near perfect condition so that the stylist doesn’t have to pull a miracle out of her butt every time a person sits in her chair?

I went to a presentation during my very brief stint in cosmetology vocational classes in high school. Sadly, my school system mainly pushed those classes on special needs kids and those they felt were not going to college. Anyway, the presentation was centered around become an instructor instead of just a cosmetologist. It focused around the luxury of dealing with people who have an interest in hair instead of dealing with customers with busted heads and standing on your feet all day.

DVAntDany

The Kinky curly knot today / custard combo helped my wash and go last through the night for the first time ever!!! I'm so excited lol. I know this isn't the most popular combo but it seems to work for me and my current skillset/length/hydration levels. (The UFD/ICH combo is hard for me. The UFD is fine, but I can't get the ICH to act right.)

Let's see if I can make it to day 3 with this combo!

I can't wait until my twa grows out...I think it will be so much easier to apply products and have the weight of my hair make things last longer with more definition.
After listening to a few of these wash and go stylists, they say that the Kinky Curly system creates a soft and fluffy wash and go. The average person using the product seems to complain of crunchiness or stickiness.

Do you find that the Kinky Curly combo to be a soft or hard set?