Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

@faithVA how is the DS Alum FB page?
I'm enjoying it. So much beautiful hair to see. And there is a lot of great support. It is a little more interactive than when I was in the digital salon. Some of the ladies are also in the SSC or whatever the new thing is, so I'm hoping they will share what they get from the live sessions.

Oh and I think I've seen 1 or 2 heads from this board on their. I don't remember their names, I just remember their hair :lol:

GettingKinky

I'm enjoying it. So much beautiful hair to see. And there is a lot of great support. It is a little more interactive than when I was in the digital salon. Some of the ladies are also in the SSC or whatever the new thing is, so I'm hoping they will share what they get from the live sessions.

Oh and I think I've seen 1 or 2 heads from this board on their. I don't remember their names, I just remember their hair :lol:
Maybe I’ll join.....

faithVA

Maybe I’ll join.....
No rush. It will be there whenever you are ready. I do like hair pictures though and the ladies are not disappointing because everyone has different curls/coils, lengths, etc. This thread is great but we don't have big numbers any more so there aren't a lot of hair pictures. For some reason, I can just look at black women's hair all day. I am always amazed at the uniqueness of it.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
There was a cancellation, so my CIK stylist was able to get me on Tuesday. She said my hair was in pretty good condition besides the bad ends. We discussed my current products and routine, then she made suggestions for what to continue and what to throw out based on the properties of my hair.

To start the servicd, she clarified my hair with Undoo Goo, did an olaplex treatment, followed that with the Innersense Hairbath, then steam conditioned with the Innersense Color Radiance conditioner. After conditioning, she applied UFD and topped with ICH.

Once dry she gave me a just above-the-shoulder bob cut, cutting off 6+ inches in my crown (it has the loosest curl). The cut is shorter than I wanted, but she fully explained the reasons why she needed to cut off what she did and I agreed with her reasoning. The cut is flattering and I'm excited about growing it back out now that it has some shape.

As for maintenance and expectations, I was told that after switching my shampoo and doing regular CCSs, I should start seeing more hydrated, silkier hair in the next few months. I purchased the Innersense Hairbath and ICH.

After living in this WnG for a few days, I'm not sure UFD+ICH is the right combo for me. Day 1 my hair had almost no cast and was completely soft by Day 2. Also, I sweat in my head mostly, and sweat plus these products left me with a sticky scalp, even after my head was dry again. Before this, I noticed that my hair seemed to be somewhat resistant to hold products, so it may be that for my hair a 7 day defined WnG isn't possible. We'll see.

For now the plan is to shampoo weekly, and reset mid-week if necessary with a cleansing conditioner. I ordered the Grace Eleyae Open Cap bonnets to wear at night. They look like fancy, satin-lined buffs, so I expect the performance to be similar.

I swear I don't feel like doing anything today. But I have to color and then CCS. I'm going to actually try to sit under a dryer today :look:

But before I get started, going to get on this bike. I have gotten so fat. Yesterday, I put on some jeans and could barely bend my knees. :shocked:

This is my exact plan for today! Bike, color, and CCS!

faithVA

There was a cancellation, so my CIK stylist was able to get me on Tuesday. She said my hair was in pretty good condition besides the bad ends. We discussed my current products and routine, then she made suggestions for what to continue and what to throw out based on the properties of my hair.

To start the servicd, she clarified my hair with Undoo Goo, did an olaplex treatment, followed that with the Innersense Hairbath, then steam conditioned with the Innersense Color Radiance conditioner. After conditioning, she applied UFD and topped with ICH.

Once dry she gave me a just above-the-shoulder bob cut, cutting off 6+ inches in my crown (it has the loosest curl). The cut is shorter than I wanted, but she fully explained the reasons why she needed to cut off what she did and I agreed with her reasoning. The cut is flattering and I'm excited about growing it back out now that it has some shape.

As for maintenance and expectations, I was told that after switching my shampoo and doing regular CCSs, I should start seeing more hydrated, silkier hair in the next few months. I purchased the Innersense Hairbath and ICH.

After living in this WnG for a few days, I'm not sure UFD+ICH is the right combo for me. Day 1 my hair had almost no cast and was completely soft by Day 2. Also, I sweat in my head mostly, and sweat plus these products left me with a sticky scalp, even after my head was dry again. Before this, I noticed that my hair seemed to be somewhat resistant to hold products, so it may be that for my hair a 7 day defined WnG isn't possible. We'll see.

For now the plan is to shampoo weekly, and reset mid-week if necessary with a cleansing conditioner. I ordered the Grace Eleyae Open Cap bonnets to wear at night. They look like fancy, satin-lined buffs, so I expect the performance to be similar.

Don't give up on the combo just yet. My stylist uses the exact same combo but I notice she is extra light on the application. So it won't last past day 2. You may just need to adjust your technique to make it work for you.

I use the same combos as my stylist but use more product and my hair last twice as long.

Try working with the same combo for a few week and work with your technique and see how that works.

Oh I didn't know she had an open cap bonnet. That is what I need. I will look at those.

faithVA

Please share pics. Would love to see.

You riding outside or a trainer? How long/distance are you going/doing?

GettingKinky

@Nightingale
Was this your first curly cut? I would love to see a picture if you’re willing to share

I have 2 slap caps, but the open bonnet sounds perfect for summer. I’m about to look at them. people used to complain about the original slap caps stretching out over time and then she came out with the adjustable ones. I wonder if these open ones will also stretch out?

Last edited:

bubbles12345

How are y'all dealing with clogged showers?

Between me and my husband, we have to use Drano once a week since I started this method and her started growing out his hair. I feel like this is too much. Any tips on how to keep the water going down without using Drano every week? (I think it's all the thick conditioners and gels I'm using blocking the drain.)

I already use a silicone drain catcher like this to catch the hair.

faithVA

How are y'all dealing with clogged showers?

Between me and my husband, we have to use Drano once a week since I started this method and her started growing out his hair. I feel like this is too much. Any tips on how to keep the water going down without using Drano every week? (I think it's all the thick conditioners and gels I'm using blocking the drain.)

I already use a silicone drain catcher like this to catch the hair.

I use a cheap one similar to this Hair Catcher. I had the fancier ones but I found they didn't work as well as the $3 ones you can get from the hardware store.

I don't have any issues with clogged drains. But if it were gels and conditioners causing the problem, then I would probably use vinegar in the drain with some hot water to break it up. If vinegar won't break it up then it may be hair and not product. Have you tried snaking the drain to make sure there isn't a build up of hair in it?

LavenderMint

A few pages back there was a conversation about using brushes during your ccs. I can’t remember who, but someone mentioned brushing causing their hair to frizz. This is my problem too. I don’t know why but combs and brushes in my wet hair completely destroy my clumps and turn my hair into an undefined mess, even if I twist my hair afterwards- even my beloved Kazmaleje paddle comb. I have no idea why this happens & it’s why I only use a brush to detangle once in a blue moon. If I use a brush when gelling, it feels like it’s pulling off the gel, which makes sense. Any tips for how/when to use it w/o causing frizz (because I have no idea what I am doing wrong)? :whyme:

LavenderMint

I keep having my phone switch back to the Amazon app every time I try to click on it. Lol

Sorry to put you through the extra work. Search her store front. It easy to navigate and not filled with too many products.

I just purchased the 4 pack because it would send to my PO Box. Anything that is too large to fit in my mail box often ends up being deliver at a not so close neighbors house.

Thank you!
I’ll probably give these a shot and those scrunches too.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Please share pics. Would love to see.

You riding outside or a trainer? How long/distance are you going/doing?
Pics taken a couple hours after my appointment.

20210302_175227.jpg20210302_175225.jpg

I was using an indoor trainer, but switched to a spin bike instead. The spin bike is quieter and takes up less space.
@Nightingale
Was this your first curly cut? I would love to see a picture if you’re willing to share

I have 2 slap caps, but the open bonnet sounds perfect for summer. I’m about to look at them. people used to complain about the original slap caps stretching out over time and then she came out with the adjustable ones. I wonder if these open ones will also stretch out?

I wore the open cap for the first time, last night and my hair looks pretty good today, so I'm pleased with its performance. Fingers crossed it doesn't stretch out.

faithVA

A few pages back there was a conversation about using brushes during your ccs. I can’t remember who, but someone mentioned brushing causing their hair to frizz. This is my problem too. I don’t know why but combs and brushes in my wet hair completely destroy my clumps and turn my hair into an undefined mess, even if I twist my hair afterwards- even my beloved Kazmaleje paddle comb. I have no idea why this happens & it’s why I only use a brush to detangle once in a blue moon. If I use a brush when gelling, it feels like it’s pulling off the gel, which makes sense. Any tips for how/when to use it w/o causing frizz (because I have no idea what I am doing wrong)? :whyme:
I'm no help. They do the same to mine. I'm wonder if it is the length of the bristles. I want to try the shampoo brush mentioned before and see if very short bristles smooth the hair better.

I can use a brush when I first put the conditioner in. But then I let it sit and I force my curls back by using a jetted stream from the shower nozzle.

I will keep you updated on the shampoo brush if it works.

EmmJaii

Not sure if I posted about it on here, but I’ve definitely had brushes and combs cause my hair to frizz when styling in the recent past. However, I just tried again during my last CCS on Friday, and the tip that was given about having the hair slide up against the back of the brush is a game changer! I have the black tangle teaser and I used to only use it to detangle while conditioning, and it was so frustrating because it would make my hair frizz, then my hair would still be tangled when I was trying to style. This time I used it while conditioning, then rinsed, applied UFD, applied ICH, then when I went back in for styling, I used it on really small sections to detangle again before styling. It smoothed out my hair, and made raking really easy, and my hair came out great this time. It feels like a lot of manipulation so I try to be VERY gentle, but I’m going to keep doing it going forward unless I see any adverse effects.

I also bought one of those shampoo brushes that was posted on here, and I’m going to try the same technique with it. The tangle teaser handle is smooth and so it’s too hard to hold onto once I have conditioner on my hands.

GettingKinky

Looks good. Maybe you can event some weights to hold the hair down while it dries. :look:

I’ve thought about that. I could probably just get some heavy alligator clips and that would do the trick

The As would have a fit. Someone mentioned something like that in one of their DS lives and they have her such a hard time.

I definitely have that problem if I brush my hair with gel. I’ve had it when I brushed with conditioner, but I figured out that I didn’t have enough water/conditioner. Now I use goo gobs of conditioner. Even with the high end conditioner I get better results if I use a lot. I gave up on trying to use less because it’s a “quality product and concentrated”

GettingKinky

I did a twist out yesterday... just cause.. I wanted to switch it up. I already know when I take these twists down I'll prefer the look of my wash n go. At least it will allow me to stretch my hair a bit to be able to pull it back.

I can’t wait to see pictures when you take them out.
I did a bunch of small twists and wore them for a week over Xmas. Then I wore the twist out for a few days. I liked the twists but not the twist out.