Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

A few pages back there was a conversation about using brushes during your ccs. I can’t remember who, but someone mentioned brushing causing their hair to frizz. This is my problem too. I don’t know why but combs and brushes in my wet hair completely destroy my clumps and turn my hair into an undefined mess, even if I twist my hair afterwards- even my beloved Kazmaleje paddle comb. I have no idea why this happens & it’s why I only use a brush to detangle once in a blue moon. If I use a brush when gelling, it feels like it’s pulling off the gel, which makes sense. Any tips for how/when to use it w/o causing frizz (because I have no idea what I am doing wrong)? :whyme:
Here's some notes on my experimentation so far. First I had to make sure I was using a brush that had a back and not a felicia leatherwood type brush.

I put in conditioner but not a lot like @GettingKinky does. I will have to experiment with that later. But I do believe she is correct. There is either not enough water or conditioner. For my hair I think its not enough water.

Anyway I tried smoothing with the brush and my hair just puffed up. Then I smoothed my hair under running water while rinsing out conditioner and my hair was nice and smooth with no frizz. Then I followed with the high volume shower setting.

I did not try to do it with gel. Too advanced for me.

What I may try next time is smoothing under running water before I apply conditioner or using my diluted conditioner and smoothing. Will let you know.

faithVA

I finally got around to doing my hair. Since this is a color day I won't use it for any comparisons. I use their shampoo and conditioner.

Applied color and then shampooed and conditioned with their color.

Tried smoothing with my denman and it puffed and frizzled. Smoothed under running water which worked. Then sprayed with higher pressure shower head setting. My hair actually felt heavy with water.

Did 3 pumps all over . Then did 2 pumps for each section (5). I added a little more to my sides. Then I added water. I think I added am additional 2 pumps all over.

Out of the shower added about 5 pumps of ICH and smoothed. Then I added just a little water and shook.

Not sure of anything, enough gel? Enough water?

I'm actually sitting under the dryer on medium. Hate it I tell ya :lol:

faithVA

I made it 35 minutes and couldn't take it anymore. My hair isn't dry but maybe it will be before bedtime.

I'm glad to get rid of the gray but I swear I'm tired of this in between length. Ok whine is done.

I think I needed more water. When I meet with my stylist I will ask her for some advice on getting a good gel/water balance

20210307_163753.jpg

GettingKinky

I made it 35 minutes and couldn't take it anymore. My hair isn't dry but maybe it will be before bedtime.

I'm glad to get rid of the gray but I swear I'm tired of this in between length. Ok whine is done.

I think I needed more water. When I meet with my stylist I will ask her for some advice on getting a good gel/water balance

View attachment 470011

your curls look so juicy :)

GettingKinky

I’m really liking my hair today. It’s bouncy and shiny, but no the artificial plasticity looking shine. I’m not sure if my results are from

- my product combo KCKT/jello shot
- the fact that I paid more attention to smoothing while I detangled
- the fact that I paid more attention to smoothing when I styled.

I’m guessing it’s a combo of all 3. On the other hand my gel cast is already gone so I don’t think this is going to last all week, but that’s ok. I’m fine with doing a mid week wash.

toaster

Color and curls looks great @faithVA ! Glad you braved the dryer for a little bit. I hope your stylist can give you some tips about adding water. I like how you note that you turned the shower head to full pressure. I’m going to try that next time!

I’m under the dryer after my very late CCS. I’ll post pics and an update tonight.

faithVA

Color and curls looks great @faithVA ! Glad you braved the dryer for a little bit. I hope your stylist can give you some tips about adding water. I like how you note that you turned the shower head to full pressure. I’m going to try that next time!

I’m under the dryer after my very late CCS. I’ll post pics and an update tonight.
Yeah, I think it is going to be a while before I do the dryer again. I can't see the benefit yet.

Just to clarify, I set the shower head to the setting that is more concentrated. Instead of water coming out of all the holes, it is only coming out of like 6, if that makes sense. That may have been what you meant. I just wanted to make sure.

Your hair already defines very well but it would be interesting to see if you notice a difference. One day I may take pictures to show the difference on my hair.

Britt

I can’t wait to see pictures when you take them out.
I did a bunch of small twists and wore them for a week over Xmas. Then I wore the twist out for a few days. I liked the twists but not the twist out.
I feel you. The few times I've done twist outs since doing wash n go's I don't like how they look compared to my wash n go's. I did a flat twist with Mousse Def so we'll see. My expectations aren't high :lol:. I'll post a pic sometime this week.

Britt

I do like twist outs, but I think they look better on hair that is more dense. I know the A's get flack for saying that, but I agree. I don't like how the front of my twist outs look b/c my hair is finer in the front on the side so the entire look doesn't fall and and flow in the same way that a wash n go does. I'm looking at myself with these flat twists in and they are skinny in the front of my hair :lol: Now that I think about it, that area is less dense more sparse compared to when I was natural before.

toaster

@toaster very nice! Did the spread much more easily over the UFD as a topper? I remember what you said it being tacky and slowing down the process, that was enough for me to wait to try it :lol:
It was definitely easier to spread over UFD. It still is a gel that you have to pick up in clumps and can’t emulsify, but it didn’t take me extra time to do my hair which made me happy.

I might repurchase!

DVAntDany

It turns out a tractor+roll of hay+tree branch whipping back into a face= 2 hour drive to an eye hospital clinic. I spent my entire Saturday in a hospital parking deck with bad signal. There were two good things to come out of it. 1. No eyeballs were lost. 2. I was close enough to an Ulta to pick up some products.

The Ulta I went to had no clue what Innersense was. I saw AG Balance and Boost. I was going to skip on it because I saw no samples. So I picked up a sample of Matrix Hydra Source shampoo and conditioner because it said they cost $10 each. I was thinking about trying Jennifer’s Redken AllSoft/AllSoft Mega, but didn’t want to spend that much on samples I wasn’t too interested in trying. I’ve used AllSoft in the past. I preferred the Smooth Down line which looked like it was discontinued.

When I made it to the check out counter, the lady told me my total was $8.00+. I was confused (I had no points)she said select products were buy 1 get the 2nd 50% off. So I hopped on the AG products and my two little samples.

This 50% off and reduced price stuff is not showing up online. I’m upset. I didn’t bring much funds with me because I was rushing out the house.

DVAntDany

Ok the AG stuff makes my hair feel and work different. The shampoo is very concentrated and feels like gel. I could have gotten away with a half pump for each shampoo. It has plenty of slip, but it’s very cleansing. One shampoo of the AG Balance equals two to three shampoos of The Mielle Clarifying. I went ahead and did 2 shampoos. My hair strands and scalp felt very clean and smooth.

AG Boost doesn’t feel like it did anything to my hair except I was able to easily run my fingers through my hair and it felt a tad bit smoother. Smooth like the cuticle were closed shut. Not like coated with product smoother. The second ingredient in the Mielle conditioner is oil. So the AG felt completely different on my hair. My hair felt super clean after rinsing out the conditioner. It felt almost as clean as rinsing out the shampoo. My hair felt almost squeaky clean but not in a bad way.

I did the Mielle custard with Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Gel. My hair looked pretty curly and defined by the time I got out of the shower. I started separating my hair at the back and it was frizzing on some of the curls. I didn’t want to glob down more with gel. I guess I could have patiently smoothed the sections before raking, but didn’t feel like it. I only did a little in the front and shook my head like a dog to separate the curls.

I didn’t feel overly saturated hair like Im use to. There was no squish for real. Even with the gels on my hair, it felt clean and bare. I could not feel that usual extra slick feeling. The gels didn’t feel the least bit tacky either.

I figured using salon products would feel different. That’s been my experience in the past but this was on a different level. My hair feels so light weight. Now I want to get the products from BGC official list to truly see what they are talking about.

My next shampoo I will be using the Matrix line samples and the two styling products on hand. These products are recommended for the HydraBar “technique.”

Last edited:

DVAntDany

I caught the tail end of a recent live from the A’s. Will update when it’s posted and can rewatch. Also, the 10Q was posted.

For those maybe having issues with the KK system. It was said to use Knot Today like a base gel and then just a little of the Curling Custard. That’s why the sizes of product are so disproportionate. I guess you more so glaze the Curling Custard on.

ICH is still out of stock but news about availability will be coming soon. Probably within the next two weeks.

Also, got around to listening to Jennifer. She is a little rough around the edges, but she doesn’t seem mean spirited with her approach. She comes across like a person to just tell it like it is.

The A’s have pretty much deleted their trail of the really harsh stuff. Only the blonde one is still spouting overtly snarky talk, but it’s digestible. Does anyone else call A’s in their head the blonde one and glasses?

faithVA

It turns out a tractor+roll of hay+tree branch whipping back into a face= 2 hour drive to an eye hospital clinic. I spent my entire Saturday in a hospital parking deck with bad signal. There were two good things to come out of it. 1. No eyeballs were lost. 2. I was close enough to an Ulta to pick up some products.

The Ulta I went to had no clue what Innersense was. I saw AG Balance and Boost. I was going to skip on it because I saw no samples. So I picked up a sample of Matrix Hydra Source shampoo and conditioner because it said they cost $10 each. I was thinking about trying Jennifer’s Redken AllSoft/AllSoft Mega, but didn’t want to spend that much on samples I wasn’t too interested in trying. I’ve used AllSoft in the past. I preferred the Smooth Down line which looked like it was discontinued.

When I made it to the check out counter, the lady told me my total was $8.00+. I was confused (I had no points)she said select products were buy 1 get the 2nd 50% off. So I hopped on the AG products and my two little samples.

This 50% off and reduced price stuff is not showing up online. I’m upset. I didn’t bring much funds with me because I was rushing out the house.
Glad everyone is OK.

faithVA

Ok the AG stuff makes my hair feel and work different. The shampoo is very concentrated and feels like gel. I could have gotten away with a half pump for each shampoo. It has plenty of slip, but it’s very cleansing. One shampoo of the AG Balance equals two to three shampoos of The Mielle Clarifying. I went ahead and did 2 shampoos. My hair strands and scalp felt very clean and smooth.

AG Boost doesn’t feel like it did anything to my hair except I was able to easily run my fingers through my hair and it felt a tad bit smoother. Smooth like the cuticle were closed shut. Not like coated with product smoother. The second ingredient in the Mielle conditioner is oil. So the AG felt completely different on my hair. My hair felt super clean after rinsing out the conditioner. It felt almost as clean as rinsing out the shampoo. My hair felt almost squeaky clean but not in a bad way.

I did the Mielle custard with Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Gel. My hair looked pretty curly and defined by the time I got out of the shower. I started separating my hair at the back and it was frizzing on some of the curls. I didn’t want to glob down more with gel. I guess I could have patiently smoothed the sections before raking, but didn’t feel like it. I only did a little in the front and shook my head like a dog to separate the curls.

I didn’t feel overly saturated hair like Im use to. There was no squish for real. Even with the gels on my hair, it felt clean and bare. I could not feel that usual extra slick feeling. The gels didn’t feel the least bit tacky either.

I figured using salon products would feel different. That’s been my experience in the past but this was on a different level. My hair feels so light weight. Now I want to get the products from BGC official list to truly see what they are talking about.

My next shampoo I will be using the Matrix line samples and the two styling products on hand. These products are recommended for the HydraBar “technique.”

The AG products is what my stylist recommended for my hair over what BGC recommended. I just don't use them because I seem to have some type of allergic reaction to them.

DVAntDany

The AG products is what my stylist recommended for my hair over what BGC recommended. I just don't use them because I seem to have some type of allergic reaction to them.
The # 1 cause of contact dermatitis that Dermatologist see is from fragrance. It doesn’t matter if it’s synthetic or essential oil based. These two AG products smells like an apothecary store. Without looking at the ingredients I can tell there are probably tons of essential oil being used in this line. So, I’m not surprised that you had an allergic reaction.

I would assume you could probably get away with the items that don’t have to stay in contact with your skin for too long. It’s understandable why you would not want to use this line.

Last edited:

DVAntDany

@DVAntDany Im glad your father is on the mend! Also glad you got to go to ulta.

The hairstylist I went to here in NYC uses those AG products, but I’ve never used them myself. Glad to hear they might be working for you!

That’s exactly how I apply the kinky curly products. I coat my hair in knot today and then just use a little of the custard. It works well for me!
All of the wash and go stylist these days seem to put emphasis on quality shampoo and conditioner. Before I even thought to join these schools, I was going to try out Lindwood’s recommendation of Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Mositure line. I saw it at a not so close health food store. I bought the wrong leave-in. It would cost more in gas to return than to find a way to use it. They have a leave-in + styler I was going to get.

I had been planning on buying the shampoo, conditioner and styler and calling it a day. Then I got caught up in all of this WnG movement. Lol

faithVA

The # 1 cause of contact dermatitis that Dermatologist see is from fragrance. It doesn’t matter if it’s synthetic or essential oil based. These two AG products smells like an apothecary store. Without looking at the ingredients I can tell there are probably tons of essential oil being used in this line. So, I’m not surprised that you had an allergic reaction.

I would assume you could probably get away with the items that don’t have to stay in contact with your skin for too long. It’s understandable why you would want to use this line.

Yeah, I usually don't have a problem. I've made all types of things with essential oils. But there is probably a particular one that I obviously can't handle. And it doesn't seem to matter that I am washing it out. I think it is the shampoo. As soon as it touches my scalp, my scalp starts yelling.

I actually don't seem to do well with any shampoo so far. I love the Elucence but it makes my eyes water severely. The Jessicurl is more tolerable :lol: I just don't seem to be able to use shampoos.

But I did like the way the line worked on me. I actually got them during a buy 1 get 1. But I'm going to have to give them to my SO to use up. :sad:

My next shampoo I will have to try one of those that says it is clear and hope that I can find one that is moisturizing enough.

faithVA

All of the wash and go stylist these days seem to put emphasis on quality shampoo and conditioner. Before I even thought to join these schools, I was going to try out Lindwood’s recommendation of Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Mositure line. I saw it at a not so close health food store. I bought the wrong leave-in. It would cost more in gas to return than to find a way to use it. They have a leave-in + styler I was going to get.

I had been planning on buying the shampoo, conditioner and styler and calling it a day. Then I got caught up in all of this WnG movement. Lol
I can attest that a quality shampoo and conditioner make the difference. And I would say that for me the shampoo has been the most important. When I got a better combo of shampoos (clarifying, almost clarifying, moisturizing, all purpose), my hair improved drastically. I will no longer skimp on this item.

DVAntDany

Yeah, I usually don't have a problem. I've made all types of things with essential oils. But there is probably a particular one that I obviously can't handle. And it doesn't seem to matter that I am washing it out. I think it is the shampoo. As soon as it touches my scalp, my scalp starts yelling.

I actually don't seem to do well with any shampoo so far. I love the Elucence but it makes my eyes water severely. The Jessicurl is more tolerable :lol: I just don't seem to be able to use shampoos.

But I did like the way the line worked on me. I actually got them during a buy 1 get 1. But I'm going to have to give them to my SO to use up. :sad:

My next shampoo I will have to try one of those that says it is clear and hope that I can find one that is moisturizing enough.
Sorry that no shampoo just simply works. Maybe take a look at this video product suggestions. She has allergies too.