Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

LavenderMint

I have that same issue. I cannot use flaxseed gel. It doesn't matter how heavy or light I go. It doesn't flake on my hair but it makes my hair look really dull and gray. It is like the aloe gel soaks into the hair but the flax gel sits on top.
Thank you for this. I was trying to figure out why my hair has been looking off lately. My go-to gel combo has been UFD & Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed gel. Last two sets, my hair has looked kinda dull after drying completely. Not as bad as the Doux PopLock Glaze had it but close. I guess I need to plan my first wash on Friday to be the KC Come Clean. I intended to make this weeks wash a “The Doux” only day but I can adjust.

Has anyone had any particular luck pairing a topper/gel with the Camille Rose gel? I remember it was super moisturizing for my hair & caused it to fluff out.

faithVA

Thank you for this. I was trying to figure out why my hair has been looking off lately. My go-to gel combo has been UFD & Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed gel. Last two sets, my hair has looked kinda dull after drying completely. Not as bad as the Doux PopLock Glaze had it but close. I guess I need to plan my first wash on Friday to be the KC Come Clean. I intended to make this weeks wash a “The Doux” only day but I can adjust.

Has anyone had any particular luck pairing a topper/gel with the Camille Rose gel? I remember it was super moisturizing for my hair & caused it to fluff out.
Maybe you can use it over the UFD?

faithVA

This is so weird. So before I started doing wash and goes, trying to get the hair in the back to grow was painful. It took forever. Now, I think the back of my hair is literally growing faster than the rest of my hair. In November, the stylist tapered the back really close. Maybe I had 1/2" to 1" of hair. Today I measured it and I have 4". I'm thinking my top and sides were about 2" and now they are about 4", which is what I was expecting.

I just think it is odd that all of a sudden the back just takes off. :ohwell:

GettingKinky

This is so weird. So before I started doing wash and goes, trying to get the hair in the back to grow was painful. It took forever. Now, I think the back of my hair is literally growing faster than the rest of my hair. In November, the stylist tapered the back really close. Maybe I had 1/2" to 1" of hair. Today I measured it and I have 4". I'm thinking my top and sides were about 2" and now they are about 4", which is what I was expecting.

That’s interesting. Was the back of your hair the most dehydrated part?

toaster

I have to say, I think tightly curled hair looks much better when it’s the same length all around. It’s going to naturally taper/layer because the hair at the front of your head will always fall shorter than hair at the back, but something about even hair all around is my favorite.

When you eventually get a cut I hope your stylist doesn’t take off all the hair on the back/sides.

faithVA

That’s interesting. Was the back of your hair the most dehydrated part?
I really don't know. Maybe that is it. I really have no idea :lol:

I've always had a problem with the back breaking off even when I was a child. When I was in college, every year the back would just break off and I would be bald. It was always prone to breakage and SSKs. It is the curliest part of my hair. And it is the part that never stayed relaxed. After two weeks it just curled back up.

faithVA

I have to say, I think tightly curled hair looks much better when it’s the same length all around. It’s going to naturally taper/layer because the hair at the front of your head will always fall shorter than hair at the back, but something about even hair all around is my favorite.

When you eventually get a cut I hope your stylist doesn’t take off all the hair on the back/sides.

I think I know what she is trying to do. I have seen pictures. But I'm going to have to see if my hair even does what I think she thinks it will do. Until it starts to hang more I don't think it is going to be hard to tell. I have started collecting pictures of what I think I want it to look like.

But I don't plan on getting it tapered again. Next time I go, I will have her trim my ends and then we can discuss what gets cut. Even if I have to keep it awkward for another 6 to 9 months until the crown hangs to my ears then I will do that.

LavenderMint

@LavenderMint on YouTube a lot of people compare the Camille rose curl maker to UFD. It seems split on who prefers which gel, but I gather they are pretty similar?
Oooooh! I completely forgot about that. It’s the third ingredient, that’s way up there!! Wow!! My hair/scalp hates coconut oil; I even had a hard time with it in the TPH protein gel mask, my scalp was itchy for a couple days.
I think I’ll stick to my UFD.
It’s really interesting because, looking at the ingredient lists, UFD is extremely similar to the Kinky Curly custard. The only difference I can spot is the KCCC has pectin and UFD doesn’t. Now I wonder if the pectin is enough to make such a big difference in the performance of the two gels in my hair. (Although, admittedly, I had no idea how to use the KC at first.) Both seem to have a learning curve, where they are supposed to be applied in very particular ways. I’m very curious now. I know KCKT&CC is one of your favored combos, @toaster & I’m way more willing to give that a try again than try CR curl maker again.

faithVA

Back in the day when I had hair and when I was using clay, I took a pic of the back of my hair and was surprised how my hair was more wavy than tightly curly. What I don't know because I just can't remember, is whether I had heat damage or not. I am interested in seeing if my hair stays tightly coily or starts to wave a little more. I just find this picture interesting because I'm looking at it like whose head is this?

Attachments

• 20190301_225542.jpg
    20190301_225542.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 30

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
When my hair is short it curls into tight s. Now that’s it long it curls into long S which is wavy.

however the hair that’s in the back is longer but curls tighter so it looks like slinky’s while the front is stretched longer and is wavy.

kCCC is the ultimate styler and I feel every styler that comes out has tried to top it. When UFD first came out it was a big debate that they stole KCCC formula except for the one different ingredient. However they both act different in my hair. Together it’s super moist city.

KCCC works year round. UFD not so much.

faithVA

@faithVA

Pretty waves! My hair is definitely tightly coiled, but the weight of the hair weighs it down to right waves. I can see a difference in my curl pattern even over the last 4 months of growth.
That is good to know. I'm not sure at what length my hair starts to have weight. The front is 6 inches and it still doesn't have much weight. Maybe it is between 8 and 10.

The picture is without product. I love my hair with no product. But as soon as I put anything on it to me it is ruined :lol: But maybe I will figure that out.

faithVA

When my hair is short it curls into tight s. Now that’s it long it curls into long S which is wavy.

however the hair that’s in the back is longer but curls tighter so it looks like slinky’s while the front is stretched longer and is wavy.

kCCC is the ultimate styler and I feel every styler that comes out has tried to top it. When UFD first came out it was a big debate that they stole KCCC formula except for the one different ingredient. However they both act different in my hair. Together it’s super moist city.

OK cool. I don't think I caught most peoples transitions.

That is good information about the combo. I am seeing more people online trying it.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Take any low par gel that had weight and smooth either KCCC or UFD as a topper.

works for years. I’ve been cocktailing stylers for awhile. Creamy on bottom. Clear on top. Clear on bottom. Creamy on top. Depends on what’s in the ingredients.

which is why I never a leave in or oil during washngo season. There’s no need.
I switch to oils for braidouts and twist outs because I don’t use stylers in the winter really. Only oils or pomades/ butters.

faithVA

Do you remember at what length your hair started to shift towards a wave?

bubbles12345

@LavenderMint i love love love that kinky curly combo. I use the knot today the way I use UFD. liberally on each section. Then I further divide the sections and use like nickel size amounts of the curling custard on the smaller sections. Super defined and moisturized curls every time.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the KCCC method to work because I'm not a fan of ICH lol.

So after you apply the KCKT do you rewet your hair slightly and then add the KCCC? (The container says to add KCCC on very wet hair for tight coils but I'm afraid that it will remove the KCKT I added to my hair.)

Do you apply KCCC in the shower or out of the shower?

I know the As recommended adding some water to KCCC in an applicator bottle. I tried that earlier this week and think I added too much water. I'll try again with less water.

toaster

I'm trying to figure out how to get the KCCC method to work because I'm not a fan of ICH lol.

So after you apply the KCKT do you rewet your hair slightly and then add the KCCC? (The container says to add KCCC on very wet hair for tight coils but I'm afraid that it will remove the KCKT I added to my hair.)

Do you apply KCCC in the shower or out of the shower?

I know the As recommended adding some water to KCCC in an applicator bottle. I tried that earlier this week and think I added too much water. I'll try again with less water.
I apply both products in the shower, and I don’t add water between the knot today and curling custard steps. I DO make sure to apply knot today to soaking wet hair.

I, personally, am not diluting anything, because I’m lazy. It works well for me if I make sure to use a lot of the knot today and a little (well, decent size) of the custard.

bubbles12345

I apply both products in the shower, and I don’t add water between the knot today and curling custard steps. I DO make sure to apply knot today to soaking wet hair.

I, personally, am not diluting anything, because I’m lazy. It works well for me if I make sure to use a lot of the knot today and a little (well, decent size) of the custard.
Thank you!! Yes I like your method better since I'm lazy too lol

Last edited: