Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

I only did a bare minimum finger detangle. When I actually detangle my hair, I end up parting my hair in 8 sections, applying my DC, finger detangling first, and then using my brush. My hair likes to fight back when I detangle :boxing:. I think the fastest I've washed and detangled has been 20-ish mins, and my hair isn't even long yet :crybaby:. I would love to get that time down too :scratchchin:.
I detangle in 4 sections. I finger detangling a bit as I’m applying conditioner and then I go straight for the brush. I usually finished detangling around the 15 minute mark. If I’m focused I can go a bit faster or if it’s only been 3-4 days since my last wash.

I’m sure it would go faster if I had my damaged hair cut off, but I’m not ready to let go of it yet.

GettingKinky

Oh wow.... according to that video I need to use a lot more water. I struggle with dryness so I'm considering it. And it seems like it would be easier to do it outside of the shower (especially with a water bottle) than in the shower as most stylists recommend.
I’ve never tried that kind is spray bottle, but for me it’s so much easier to get/keep my hair wet enough in the shower. And it’s a messy process and the shower is much easier for me to clean up. I did get a shower mirror so I can see what I’m doing.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Oh wow.... according to that video I need to use a lot more water. I struggle with dryness so I'm considering it. And it seems like it would be easier to do it outside of the shower (especially with a water bottle) than in the shower as most stylists recommend.
I have one of those mister bottle thingies and it saturates my hair better and is less drippy than a regular water spritz bottle. I got whatever cheapo set of 3 Amazon was selling at the time.
1620763245803.png

Crackers Phinn

The Ecoslay Jello shot is sticky. Like my hair was stuck to my neck sticky. Also for something that needs to stay in the refrigerator it smells hella chemical-ly. I watched a few reviews before purchasing and they were using half the container for one application. I'm pretty sure my hair is fully coated with some to spare and I definitely have multiple uses left in my container. For most of my hair I only used the jello. I put the rice pudding leave in on a medium sized section before adding the jello shot and I think that area is frizzy. I'm going to keep working with the products tho.

toaster

The Ecoslay Jello shot is sticky. Like my hair was stuck to my neck sticky. Also for something that needs to stay in the refrigerator it smells hella chemical-ly. I watched a few reviews before purchasing and they were using half the container for one application. I'm pretty sure my hair is fully coated with some to spare and I definitely have multiple uses left in my container. For most of my hair I only used the jello. I put the rice pudding leave in on a medium sized section before adding the jello shot and I think that area is frizzy. I'm going to keep working with the products tho.
Mine smells like straight chemicals too! I thought the same thing about needing to be kept in the fridge :look:

I used Jell-O shot over uncle funky’s curly magic and my neck was certainly sticky until my next shower. For day 4 hair I have minimal frizz. I have at least 4/5 uses left in the jar.

So far, I think it gives me a near identical wash and go to my earthtones max gel. The difference is that Jell-O shot is easier to emulsify and apply, but earthtones doesn’t need to be refrigerated.

GettingKinky

I don’t remember my neck being sticky when I used jello shot, but I haven’t used it in awhile so maybe I just don’t remember.

LavenderMint

I am loving the UFD/Earthtones wng. Usually, I have trouble with random gel balls at my hairline and any parts I have made, no matter the combo. This time, I only have extremely small gel balls and literally only at the part. The definition & clumping is on-point. I feel like this combo supports my coil pattern very well.
I can’t wait to try this again with my UFD more damp than it was last time.

toaster

My workout pineapple helps to keep my hair from shrinking as the week goes by.

I sweat a lot and I think it keeps my roots from shrinking down more because they get wet every day.

My hair tends to take on whatever shape I put it in, so sleeping in a pineapple probably wouldn’t work, but 30-60 minutes while I sweat seems to work well.

faithVA

Where is everyone? How is it possible no one posted in here on Friday? I guess everyone is enjoying the wonderful weather :grin:

I actually deep conditioned today. Don't remember the last time I did that. But I'm back in 2 strand twist. If we aren't traveling I will try a wash and go with the jello shot the holiday weekend.

sunshinebeautiful

I got 6 days out of my Jello Shot WNG. That's a record for me, especially now that my hair is short. It definitely set crunchy/hard, but softened up as the days went by. It lasted through a few workouts and crazy FL heat and humidity. I liked it.

I'm away from home visiting my parents so I couldn't bring the gel with me since it needs to be refrigerated. I washed and styled my hair using Kinky Curly leave-in and custard. I have a nice medium hold and either it's the products or the result of my hair getting more hydrated over time, but I'm loving the curl definition I got this time around.

sunshinebeautiful

I absolutely love this girl's hair. I found her on YouTube and subscribed to her channel. She exclusively wears WNGs and gives props to Black Girl Curls and HydraBar Salon for helping her to transform her hair. She posted a video last night about the evolution of her WNGs over time. I'm only a few months in, but I found it inspiring to keep going and tweaking as times goes on. Sharing.

toaster

DCA685C4-2ED8-412C-9FE9-E98A1BB425AB.jpeg

day 7 wash and go on the subway. Getting a little frizzy, but still defined with curly magic and Jell-O shot.

I’ve noticed over the past few washes that my hair is starting to even itself out. The layers he cut in are slooooowly growing out. My hair seems to prefer to be the same length all around and I’m not going to fight it.

ckisland

I did my wash day a day early because I just couldn't wait :laugh: . I love my wash days! Anyway, I tried a couple of different things:

1. I detangled my hair in 4 sections instead of separating it into my usual 8 (inspired by @GettingKinky ). It was easier than I thought it would be, but I'm not sure if I was able to detangle under my canopy as thoroughly and I'm not sure if I lost more hair or not. It actually still took the same amount of time as me doing more sections.
2. I looked at the MJ leave-in and noticed that the new bottle says to only apply to damp hair. It specifically says "not wet". So I squeezed out any water that was in each section before I applied the leave-in and Coily Custard.
3. I applied my leave-in and styler in just 4 sections instead of separating each section into 3 sub-sections. Since I was doing less sections, I just did everything in the shower. I put a good amount of custard in my hand for each section and didn't go back and add more. Outside of the shower, with my 50-11 sections, it's taken about 30-35 mins to style my hair. Today I was able to rinse the DC out of my hair, apply leave-in, style, shower and dry off in 20 mins :shocked:!!!

Products: MJ Harm Me Knot Shampoo, TGIN RepairX DC, MJ Leave-in Condish, MJ Coily Custard
Wash and detangle: 20 mins
DC: 1hr 10 mins (extra 10 mins went to adding a face mask :giggle:)
Rinse and style: 20 mins

I shaved about 40 mins off of my usual wash day :cup:.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky Have you considered getting a shaping hair cut, but making sure it’s long enough to bun? That way you can wear your hair in two styles you think flatter your face
I’m planning to get a shaping cut, but the stylist I want to see still hasn’t opened post Covid. I’m giving her until end of June and if she still isn’t open, I’ll look for someone else.

Crackers Phinn

I don't know who needs to hear this but Ecoslay Applesauce is the gorilla glue of all edge controls except it washes out. My edges have protested laying down my entire life but they waived the white flag at the Applesauce. :giveup: Take this however you will but when this stuff dried, I went to scratch my temple and lifting my hair felt like I was peeling a scab off, that's how stuck to my skin, my edges were. It scared me, like what have I put on my head, so I rubbed some water on and it came right off but that hold while dry was not playing. I many need to start putting this where I part my hair to keep it from poofing.

LavenderMint

I’m just stopping in to proclaim my love of UFD/Earthtone Naturals. Shrinkage has been the biggest thing I’ve been battling because with my shrinkage comes tangles. Well. This combo has minimal shrinkage, it is maybe two inches shorter when dry than my hair actually is when wet, which is amazing.
New Level Unlocked: listen to whatever I want with my bright yellow Bluetooth earbuds during yet another pointless Zoom meeting and the earbuds are not visible in the slightest. :drunk:

My only concern now is that when I go to get a trim, the stylist won’t be able to give me the results & look I’m used to getting at home. I’ve never had a salon wng look anything like this. And there’s only one salon in my area that I can go to to get a wng. I’m going to think some more on it....

GGsKin

Today I did my first wng in what feels like ages since I straightened my hair over a month ago. After shampooing and using Olaplex no.3 +4, I gave my hair a shot of protein using Mill Creek Jojoba con. I DC with SSI Juicy Curls Hair Mask, which penetrated well in the shower. I used UFD for the first time and I think I love it. I diffused for about 30mins and my hair is about 85-90% dry. So far, no flakes and lots of movement and great definition. Finally, a gel that performs like my diluted KCCC, without the need to tweak anything. Yay! lol