Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

My magic combo is a botanical or humectant gel as a leave-in + wetline. The humectant gel doesn’t really matter. At this point, I’ve done curl activators, uncle funky, kinky curly, and Camille rose curl maker. All give me moisturized, defined hair for as long as I want to last (only about 3-4 days till my next swim). Slight shine differences and applications but not very much.

I keep feeling compelled to “add” something to my hair daily when honestly it doesn’t need anything. That’s a weird feeling lol. Today I pretended that I needed shine and I sprayed some oil sheen on my day 3 hair just to do something :look: but truly it didn’t need anything.
Just before I found blackgirlcurls I bought oil sheen. But it didn’t add any sheen/shine to my hair so I threw it out during one of my product purges.

GettingKinky

My wash and go only made it 2 days, so I sprayed it with some water and put it in twists. That gives me a plan for the future. As I feel up to it I will try a wash and go with the back up plan of putting it in twists if its a fail. My wash and go fever is over for a minute so I will wear twist for the next two weeks.
My wash n go fever has faded too. I’m only doing one wash a week and I just put it in half-up/half down when it gets too frizzy.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
An update on daily shampoo/cowashing: I’ve now tried both for at least five consecutive days each, and I won’t be continuing because whew, it’s time consuming. :nono: I also know that less manipulation is better for my hair and I have some length goals for 2021, so I need to stop playing.

But I can’t honestly say that I see where it was damaging to my hair. I get it mostly dry under my dryer, so maybe I avoided any kind of hygral fatigue because it doesn’t stay wet? Maybe I didn’t do it long enough to see damage? Maybe my hair is dehydrated so it would take some time to get to that point? Idk but I’m not going to keep going to find out lol.

Also, I actually much prefer the daily shampoo over the daily cowash because I don’t like all that product building up on the hair. That daily shampoo feels soooo nice after a sweaty workout outside like this morning (3 mile run in 80 degrees!) For now, though, I’m back to shampooing just 2x/week.

GettingKinky

I'm back. Yes. They've added the See Some Curls Society as their community component. No extra charge. For now there are 3 sections:

- 30 Day Detox
- Styling and Product Troubleshooting
- Curl Cutting Chat

There are people posting, asking questions, and I see Aeleise and Aisha on some of the threads.
I don’t understand why they ended the digital salon just to start it over with a different name.
Except to raise the price.

ckisland

From my experience adding an extra shampoo this week, I'm definitely going to stick to cowashing throughout the week and shampooing when I DC. My hair was so dry when I washed it today :confused: .

Today's Wash Day:
Shampoo'd with Harm Me Knot (2x)
DC with Babassu DC (1 hr)
Styled with Leave-in Condish and Honey Curls
Total time: 1hr 50 mins
I was absolutely certain that I had spent more time in the shower when I shampoo'd, applied DC and detangle than usual, but no! I spent 5 less minutes during this step. I'm drying my hair for longer under my turbie twist since it's so late. Hopefully my hair will be dry before I go to bed.

LynnieB

Hey y'all Hey. Edit: I forgot to add this this wng set is on day 6 in this photo LOL.

Not sure if anyone remembers me.....I try to keep my username active and drop in from time to time! How's everyone? Nice to see so many rocking the wng/hydrate and defines!

2+ years of wearing my natural curls. Still follow BGCs, still use the same base shampoos, conditioners and styling products, still get maintenance cuts (sometimes cutting a bit more & sometimes maintaining what's there) and only experiment with various toppers. My hair is flourishing even through the summertime humdity.

Anyways....good to see everyone.IMG_20210613_085230_453.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_085646_562.jpg
    IMG_20210612_085646_562.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

yamilee21

Hey y'all Hey.

Not sure if anyone remembers me...
Please, as if your gorgeous hair could be forgotten! Did you cut your hair at all, or is that just your shrinkage length from waist/hip-length?

My daughter decided this year that she only wanted to wear wash & gos from now on, and she wanted her wng to be above her shoulders. I had to cut her classic length hair, but only to BSB/mid-back, in order to get her wng the length she wanted. Her wng at classic was APL, which she considered too long for a wng. :rolleyes: :lol:

LynnieB

Please, as if your gorgeous hair could be forgotten! Did you cut your hair at all, or is that just your shrinkage length from waist/hip-length?

My daughter decided this year that she only wanted to wear wash & gos from now on, and she wanted her wng to be above her shoulders. I had to cut her classic length hair, but only to BSB/mid-back, in order to get her wng the length she wanted. Her wng at classic was APL, which she considered too long for a wng. :rolleyes: :lol:
Yep I cut it!! It's about bra strap length now and shoulder length curly. Got a curly cut so all the various textures, patterns, etc would all be cohesive.

Just got a cut mid March and want to get back to...longer length in the front and little bit longer than shoulder in the back, that's my sweet spot.

Took me a bit to settle on the style but now I know LOL.

Hope you all are doing well?

sunshinebeautiful

Hey y'all Hey.

Not sure if anyone remembers me.....I try to keep my username active and drop in from time to time! How's everyone? Nice to see so many rocking the wng/hydrate and defines!

2+ years of wearing my natural curls. Still follow BGCs, still use the same base shampoos, conditioners and styling products, still get maintenance cuts (sometimes cutting a bit more & sometimes maintaining what's there) and only experiment with various toppers. My hair is flourishing even through the summertime humdity.

Anyways....good to see everyone.View attachment 472919

Absolutely gorgeous hair!!!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I grabbed a snap of Day 2 with my usual corny heart drawing while in the bathroom at Target. That lighting in there had my hair looking cute lol.

I parted my hair differently this week and I can really see the disconnection (learned that term from a BGC Instagram post) in my shape on this set. That curly cut is tempting me but I’m going to resist till next year to see if I’m really committed to this wash and go life. Right now I get blunt trimmed while flat ironed so honestly, this ain’t too bad considering that. If I was going anywhere other than the gym, Target, and my home office, I’d do some more tucking and patting.

Attachments

• 00594C0E-54F2-44A5-A43F-3C8C3580D924.jpeg
    00594C0E-54F2-44A5-A43F-3C8C3580D924.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 45

LynnieB

Wow @LynnieB it is so nice to see you!! Your hair looks gorgeous.

I remember you from Nappturality and Fotki because you had the juiciest twists. Damn I’ve been on hair boards forever :lol:
Hey Rocky!! Weren't those the days?! I do wish I could go back with what I know now tho

Thanks Sis......I'm so happy to see some of my old board buddies still active and thriving! Stay well!!!

LynnieB

I grabbed a snap of Day 2 with my usual corny heart drawing while in the bathroom at Target. That lighting in there had my hair looking cute lol.

I parted my hair differently this week and I can really see the disconnection (learned that term from a BGC Instagram post) in my shape on this set. That curly cut is tempting me but I’m going to resist till next year to see if I’m really committed to this wash and go life. Right now I get blunt trimmed while flat ironed so honestly, this ain’t too bad considering that. If I was going anywhere other than the gym, Target, and my home office, I’d do some more tucking and patting.

It took me a minute to totally commit too. Aeleise gave me my first curly cut and style....we just evened up the back,where the curl pattern is different and trimmed up everything else. She ruined me in a fabulous way as I now judge all stylists by her work LOL.

What's important and the golden ticket.....it is the length of the crown! Everything is centered around the crown. No matter how or where you get ypur hair cut, do not have them butcher up your crown and take it too short!! Once that crown is near the ears to shoulder, the less shaping needs to be done to prevent that mullet shape back there (removing the length we typically keep when wearing it straight).

Hope I made sense of a semi-complicated process?

Your curls looks good despite the no face showing..

GettingKinky

Looking good! @Rocky91
I get curly cuts and I still have a disconnect - I haven’t been ready to cut enough hair to get rid of it.

fluffyforever

So this weekend I was trying out AG Natural Balance and Boost shampoo and conditioner. both of the products seem like they are clarifying.

Yesterday I used the conditioner only for a cowash and after I rinsed out my hair was squeaky clean. this conditioner has no slip whatsoever. When I apply it to my hair, my hair feels thick, frizzy, and extra coarse compared to before the conditioner and I feel like the conditioner isn’t spreading easily even after emulsifying and adding lots of water. It’s not a terribly thick conditioner either. When I rinsed out, my hair felt like I clarified. Very strange experience. I enjoy the scent at least, but I already can tell I won’t repurchase. My wash my go came out fine like usual though.

Anyone know of a black girl curls approved conditioner that has slip?

LynnieB

So this weekend I was trying out AG Natural Balance and Boost shampoo and conditioner. both of the products seem like they are clarifying.

Yesterday I used the conditioner only for a cowash and after I rinsed out my hair was squeaky clean. this conditioner has no slip whatsoever. When I apply it to my hair, my hair feels thick, frizzy, and extra coarse compared to before the conditioner and I feel like the conditioner isn’t spreading easily even after emulsifying and adding lots of water. It’s not a terribly thick conditioner either. When I rinsed out, my hair felt like I clarified. Very strange experience. I enjoy the scent at least, but I already can tell I won’t repurchase. My wash my go came out fine like usual though.

Anyone know of a black girl curls approved conditioner that has slip?
I use Balance and boost every wash day. Balance is considered *almost clarifying* and the frequency of use depends on your hair's essential elements, styling products used and what the hair has lived through during the previous 7-10 days. Adjustments are needed according to those factors.

I always use Innersense Hydrating Hair Bath after using Balance.

Boost isnt a clarifying conditioner. It has no silicones, polymers, pvp to give the feeling of artificial slip. The secret to using Boost is to use alot of water with it. Always more water to conditioner. Detangling is done with either fingers or detangling tool/or both during the conditioning phase w/Boost. Boost, when used with the appropriate amount of water turns into a foamy, almost soapy conditioning lather with amazing slip.

Innersense Hydrating Conditioner operates the same and requires alot of water to activate the conditioner. It also turns into a foamy almost soapy consistency with slip.

Those are the only 2 non-deep conditioners I have used as regular conditioners for 2+ years and they really do work great.

AG Hair Balance & Boost and Innersense Hydrating Hairbath & Conditioner are all extremely concentrated and require lots of water to activate.

Edit to add: I suspect what you maybe feeling is your hair's true essential elements free from all the extra oils and plasticky ingredients we have come to think of as *moisture* and *conditioning*. Everyone's hair has a different *feel*. Naturally smooth or silky surface textures will feel smoother and *slicker* than naturally more crinkly surface textures. There is nothing wrong with either....just differences in the hair's essential elements.

HTH
One more ?....are you in a partnership with a Cut It Kinky stylist? I know this was key for me and my daughter. This really filled in all the gaps and provided additional insight on all the things including questions about products and techniques.

Last edited:

LavenderMint

New Achievement Unlocked: WNG PONYTAIL :D:afro:
I’m so happy!! This came about because I just didn’t feel like fluffing out my hair yesterday and it was hot. I haven’t worn a ponytail in a looooooong time & had kinda forgot about it. So I just took a scrunchie and wrapped it around the back of my hair, letting the front hang like bangs. Only bad thing is that the uneven gel drying leads to weird clumps on the sides of my head that I can’t get out without just washing again. This go round, I covered it with a headband & used a covered elastic band w/o doubling it. Perfect.
3D275576-15F6-4702-9655-B94377FF0B4D.jpeg

and it’s the last day of school so I’m ready to go live my best life with daytime washing & drying, protein treatments, deep conditioning outside of the shower, the works. Next wash is probably Thursday since I was waiting for my Jell-O Shot to be delivered, which means this will be a 13 day old wng by then & needing more time to detangle.

toaster

I need to prep my hair today for my trim on Friday. The rules state no butters, leave in or gel ahead of the appointment, but the stylist called me and told me curly magic was okay.

I’ve never done a wash and go with only curly magic.

Also considering a middle part to see if I like it better than a side part.