Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

Warning: rambling post as I reminisce on my WnG journey. Feel free to ignore this entire post.

Two and a half years ago I decided I wanted to wear WnGs all the time. I had no clue what I was doing. Around March 2019 I figured out that I needed a curly cut, but I wish I had known more about them before I got that first one. The Deva lady told me to come in with no product on my hair except leave in. My hair was so shrunken and crazy so I think she cut a LOT more hair than necessary.
But on the other hand, my hair was in pretty bad shape so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
I learned enough from the Deva cut lady to make my hair look decent, but my hair is sooo much better now that I’ve been following BGCs for almost 2 years.

The picture below shows
Mar 2019 - my hair if I let it dry loose (shrunk into a crazy shape). I wasn’t using nearly enough water back then.
April 2019 - the way I typically wore my hair. I dried it stretched and kept the front pinned back.
May 2019 - shortly after my 1st Deva cut
July 2022 - I think now I can finally grow out my hair since I’ve let go of a lot of the damage.

the sad thing is that my hair isn’t much longer now than it was back in May 2021
2E892333-A725-4773-98BF-B2BF4695AC96.jpeg

faithVA

My wash and go didn't make it. Not sure if it was my styling or just the heat. Last night I added some water and put in some twist. I wore a twist out to an appointment I have. I'm going to wash tomorrow and then put in some twist and wear a twist out for my appointment on Saturday. I'm not excited about it. I'm more just ready to get it done and over with :perplexed:

GettingKinky

My wash and go didn't make it. Not sure if it was my styling or just the heat. Last night I added some water and put in some twist. I wore a twist out to an appointment I have. I'm going to wash tomorrow and then put in some twist and wear a twist out for my appointment on Saturday. I'm not excited about it. I'm more just ready to get it done and over with :perplexed:
I’m sad that you aren’t excited for your appointment.

toaster

@faithVA do you want to reschedule for a time you’re more excited about your appointment? You’ve been dusting your ends so I’m sure they aren’t horrible right now.

faithVA

@faithVA do you want to reschedule for a time you’re more excited about your appointment? You’ve been dusting your ends so I’m sure they aren’t horrible right now.
I'm going to keep my appointment. Now that my hair is longer I want to see how she does my wash and go and see if it looks any better than the last time. And if there is something I'm not doing right I want her to catch it now better than later.

My ends aren't horrible but they are starting to tangle more than they did a month ago. So I definitely want her to look at them.

I don't have anything that needs to be fixed fortunately so that might be why the lack of excitement. I'm good though.

toaster

@toaster, that really is great progress. And didn't you also have a trim in that timeframe?
Yes! One pretty conservative trim at the salon. Planning to get another trim in late November or early December. She charges existing clients the new client price if your appointments are more than six months apart.

Based on where my hair is now, I don’t think I’ll be back to my pre-horrific cut length by December in the front of my hair, but the back may be longer!

GettingKinky

I washed my hair for the first time since my cut this morning.

My hair is a LOT shorter. It is barely SL curly when it’s soaking wet. On the plus side
  • My products should last quite a bit longer since I don’t need to use nearly as much.
  • It’s easier to rake my hair since most of the damaged hair is gone and it doesn’t snag as much
  • I still LOVE the shape

GGsKin

I'm travelling tomorrow to visit family for the weekend, so I decided to reset today. I did a diy clay mask on my hair, before DCing and setting my wash and go with UFD. I diffused for 30mins. The roots at the front are still a little wet so I'll probably diffuse a little more before bed.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I’m loving doux mousse def wash and go’s. I use it by itself and it makes for a quick midweek refresh.

I’m also experimenting with parting right now. Tried fake bangs (hard to preserve at night), side parts on both sides (go-to, but starting to get bored of it), and now lately been doing a fake slick back no-part type of look. Just to be jazzy :lol:

GettingKinky

I’m loving doux mousse def wash and go’s. I use it by itself and it makes for a quick midweek refresh.

I’m also experimenting with parting right now. Tried fake bangs (hard to preserve at night), side parts on both sides (go-to, but starting to get bored of it), and now lately been doing a fake slick back no-part type of look. Just to be jazzy :lol:
Do you have any pictures of the slick back no-part look?

toaster

@toaster Excellent retention! :yep:

Would you mind naming 2-3 practices that you think are important for retention while doing wash and goes?
Sure!!

let me see:

1- gentle detangling during the wash process. I don’t rush my wash day at all. I think this helps me with any mechanical breakage.

2- I don’t touch my hair after it’s set unless I’m putting my buff on at night or putting it in a pineapple to work out. I think we touch our hair more than we think. I don’t mess with the part, no styling of my edges or anything. My hair looks however it looks. Another reason I spend a good amount of time on getting a good set.

Okay that’s just 2, but I think those are my main points! Otherwise I just cleanse, condition and style as usual.

ckisland

Today was wash day for me! This wash n'go didn't last quite as well as the last one, but I still made it to the 6th day :yep: . I decided to try the bootleg tangle teezer brush I bought months ago again, and it was pretty easy breezy to use. I don't know what changed :look: . Only thing is when I went back to detangle as I was rinsing out my DC, my hair poofed like crazy! So I ended up back in the arms of my leatherwood brush :rolleyes: . I think I'll pull the teezer brush out when I protective style. I also tried Eco Style Black Castor Oil Gel and it was great :clap: . The application was so much smoother than Eco Olive Oil! I'm happy! The pics below are of my hair fully dry after sitting under the bonnet for 45 mins. My phone camera is pretty terrible, but my hair is so defined :love:

Cleanser: Harm Me Knot
DC: Obia Babassu Therapy Mask (I ended up running errands, so it was in for like 4 hours :look: )
Leave-in: Obia Curl Hydration Spray and Curl Moisture Cream
Styler: Eco Style Black Castor Oil

wng072221_1.jpgwng072221_2.jpgwng072221_3.jpg

oneastrocurlie

I moved my part to the middle my last two washes for jazziness lol.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Do you have any pictures of the slick back no-part look?
This is not the greatest picture, but here is a quick snap. I am just desperately seeking the kind of volume in the crown area that you get with shorter hair that doesn’t flop over. I think I’d need some layers to achieve it for real, but this will do for now. You can see that my hair is still kind of determined to go flop over into a side part anyways, but at least I don’t have a super defined “line.”

I think it looks better in person? :look: maybe not. Either way, I got tired of the straight line to the scalp side parts. :lol:02C36E06-8738-4D7D-ADB5-4A2D4C509EEF.jpeg

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Sure!!

let me see:

1- gentle detangling during the wash process. I don’t rush my wash day at all. I think this helps me with any mechanical breakage.

2- I don’t touch my hair after it’s set unless I’m putting my buff on at night or putting it in a pineapple to work out. I think we touch our hair more than we think. I don’t mess with the part, no styling of my edges or anything. My hair looks however it looks. Another reason I spend a good amount of time on getting a good set.

Okay that’s just 2, but I think those are my main points! Otherwise I just cleanse, condition and style as usual.
Thank you so much for sharing this! I am definitely failing #2 very miserably right now :lol: I need to narrow down a “signature look” and learn to leave my hair alone. :yep:

GettingKinky

Sure!!

let me see:

I’m impressed that you don’t touch your hair. I have such a hard time keeping my hands away from my curls. :)