Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

naturalagain2

Tried to do a shingle and coil type method on my hair last night but now that it has dried I don't like it. I rather have the little ringlets from my natural curl pattern instead.

Cowashed with Oyin Ginger Mint (second time using it don't know how I feel about this product yet doesn't feel totally moisturizing and notice my hair immediately draws up when I use it)
Deep Conditioned with Shea Moisture Manuka Honey with Olive oil on top
Moisturized with Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-in (So moisturizing I usually use Camille Rose Curl Love Moisture Milk but wanted to know how this would work on a wash n go) then I used Camille Rose Almond Jai twisting on top.
To style I used Eco Style Gel Black Castor Oil & Flaxseed Gel (second time using it but I like it better than the Olive Oil).

Hated this wash n go it's so undefined. I got way more volume with the shingle and coil method though. Maybe I need to practice this to see if it will look better. I did kind of rush because it was getting late.

Hair.jpg

Last edited:

leona2025

1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) Hair texture is 3c/4a. I think most of my hair is apl, but then I have a ducktail that is like 2 or 3 inches longer than the rest of my hair:confused:
  2. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) I wash once a week and stretch my wash n go a full 5 to 7 days. My favorite products are DE express conditioner, MC leave in and I was in love with the MC crystal orchid gel. Recently I have given my heart to the Mielle ginger gel.
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? I'm hoping for MBL. Goal is for my wash n go with shrinkage to rest on my shoulders.
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge?
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? I have a lot of tangling. Im bored with my wash n go at the moment. I have two sections that only frizz and don't define. Those sections are right at my edges and my crown, so I cant even hide it.
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) my hair looks about the same as these. The only time I cut was when I did my big chop:look:

leona2025

Ladies, welcome :grouphug3: and thank you for joining and activating this challenge!

Hey guudhair, glad to have you with us! What are the products that you are currently using to style that give you crunchiness and flakes?

Thank you for your kind words :kiss:
The issues that make me uncomfortable with my WnG are: very thin hair, lack of volume specially the flat top, and most of the time I find myself unable to cover my thin/bald sides because I just don't have enough hair to pull down and distribute around to cover them :laugh:

I know I've only posted nice photos. I was aiming to entertain. But I've just realized that you can also entertain with fail photos lol

So look at this. I mostly hate how my hair looks see through when the curls are separated
View media item 129943or if they are compacted together it looks very flat View media item 129957If I try to pile the hair on the top to give it volume, I expose the sides. The struggle is real lol

Do you pick out?

OhTall1

I'm joining.
  1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) It's currently short and tapered. I have no idea about curl pattern or porosity.
  2. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) Full wash on Sundays includes a deep conditioner and usually some type of treatment (ex. demi permanent color, Olaplex, Aphogee, etc.) At least one quick mid week co-wash.
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? No length goals, I love it short right now.
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? None
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? Major mid strand splits
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) I'll edit this and add an updated pic when I was on Sunday. My Gone Natural album includes mostly WNG pics from the other WNG challenge thread that was only supposed to be for the fall/winter but lasted four years! LOL!
ETA: Starting pictures
View media item 129969

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm in! My hair seems happiest in a wash n' go and I get the most compliments with it, so I need to work on perfecting my regimen.
  • Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) I'm 4a largely, but around my edges is 4b. Low porosity, about mid-back length straight I think. Curly is between ear and shoulder depending on the product.
  • What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) I wash once per week. Uncle Funky's Daughter layered over Curl Junkie Curl Smoothing Lotion was my favorite but my hair has been frizzing with it lately. My current favorite is Paul Mitchell The Conditioner with Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel over it. I can get up to 7 days with this, though my hair prefers to be done every 3 days.
  • What are your length goals from joining this challenge? I would like to be SL curly in the front. Not sure what that would look like straight.
  • What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? Consistency and getting back to using my UFDCM with good results (I get a faster wash n go with this than with Eco).
  • Any current struggles or concerns? Frizz (particularly with the 4b parts), laziness with actually doing wash day, having wet hair in the winter.
  • Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) My hair is wet in both of these, but about 80% dry in the second one.
20181224_095545-152x162.jpg 20181224_095719-270x360.jpg

Last edited:

Theresamonet

I’m in. Planned to wash n go all year anyway. Protective styling hasn’t been good for my hair. It just feeds into my inherent (hair) laziness. I need to see my hair and be invested in it looking good. Same as my skin, which I rarely ever slack on, because it’s staring me in the face. With my hair, it’s out of sight, it’s out of mind.

• Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc)
Mostly 4a. Cottony. Normal-high porosity. APL currently.
  • What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc)
My current regimen is all over the place. It’s really not a regimen at all. It’s just me getting up every now and then to wash and DC my hair, so it doesn’t all fall out.

I want to pare down a basic and consistent regimen in 2019. I plan to:​

Pre poo/hot oil treat
with Ayurvedic oil 1x per week
Wash 1x per week
Co-Wash 1x per week
DC 2x per week/ 1x with steam
Apply leave in & Gel
Air dry
Dust 3x/year

I have a lot of products to use up and test out, so I can’t say exactly what I’ll be using right now. I’m also going to continue to incorporate Ayurveda products and Max Hydration method techniques as I can, without getting overwhelmed.

• What are your length goals from joining this challenge?
I’m aiming for BSL this year, but staying hopeful that I’ll be able to graze MBL.
  • What are your styling goals fromjoining this challenge?
Working to perfect my technique in order to minimize frizz, gain some elongation, and increase shine.
  • Any current struggles or concerns?
Long drying time, flaking products, and SSKs.

With my current methods/products my drying time is going on 1 day or more. And that’s in the summer. :spinning:
  • Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended)
Will share a pic after my first dust and WnG of the year.

oneastrocurlie

I've been finding spraying my hair with Oyin juices and berries before hopping in the shower has been great refreshing. Those are actually the instructions on the bottle I just never paid attention.

I used UFD Curl Magic and Design Essentials Mousse this wash and it's definitely taking top spot for favorite combo.

discodumpling

1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc)
Coarse fine soft kinky curly nappy are all great words to use when describing my hair. I guess it is normal porosity as long as I maintain a regular DC schedule. I'll end this year hovering just above APL.
  1. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc)
I've been a wash n go gyal for about 4 yrs now. My wngo can last for a week but around mid week my scalp wants water. I DC with a mild protein based DC 1x per week. To set my wash n go I use Kinky Curly Knot Today under Eco Styler Olive Oil usually....lately it's been KCKT with its gel complement KCCC. I'm always searching for the perfect wngo products!
  1. What are your length goals from joining this challenge?
Full healthy APL stretched.
  1. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge?
Less frizz, more variety in my wngo. I tend to style my hair the exact same way every time.
  1. Any current struggles or concerns?
Styling.
  1. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended)
I rarely take hair pics these days. But I'm motivated and will post by January 1st.

silverlotus

Thanks! Not sure if I mentioned it already but I go to Evan's salon lol. The scent doesn't linger for me but I agree it is a bit strong.

Not to be a product pusher but the DE Mousse on top of curl magic was a great wash and go combo. A stylist I follow on IG mentioned using it that way.

Do you guys have reviews on this salon? I just ran across his IG and I’m so curious! I wouldn’t mind a slight trim but don’t want to lose too much length and I’m just curious about learning anything new about hair.

oneastrocurlie

Do you guys have reviews on this salon? I just ran across his IG and I’m so curious! I wouldn’t mind a slight trim but don’t want to lose too much length and I’m just curious about learning anything new about hair.

I've been there twice. I only have one "negative". The 3 main stylists stay booked months in advance. Like 6-8 months out. I got lucky my first time and happened to check their schedule and Cheyenne had a cancelation. The 2 assistants start taking their own clients in January I believe so that may help newcomers. But I went ahead and booked my next 3 appointments at my last appointment.

Other than my experience has been positive. Each time I've been in other black women have been too and I've been able to see start to finish and their hair always turns out great too.

Alma Petra

Here's a pic of my hair from the back. This was day 2.
View attachment 439543

OMG your hair is amazing!:thud: :worship2:
Crazy length and perfect definition!
If I had that length, I wouldn't wear anything but my wash and goes.
How do you avoid excessive shrinkage? Is it the products or is it the weight of the hair as it grows longer?
What did you style with in this photo?

I'm using the new formula. Sadly I never got to try the old one, but the new one works fine for me. My first love is Eco styler but I think the protein caused some breakage so I stopped using it.

Length retention is easy for me with wash and go's. As long as I use a hard hold gel, my ends don't get tangled. I've been in nothing but WnGs for the past 6 months and I've had very few SSKs or split ends. Light gels don't work for me.

I get at least 7 days from each WnG. Usually after 4-5 days I put it in a ponytail until I'm ready to wash again. That might help with retention too because it's less manipulation.
Thank you for answering my questions.

I am interested in trying the new formula WXG, because I have a limited stash of the old one. I am not optimistic that it will give me similar results but it might be better than all the other gels that I have been trying. Just like you, light gels don't work for me unfortunately. And thankfully I am not experiencing tangled ends so hopefully I am heading for something good me too :toocool:

Alma Petra

I will say I apply the NYC right after I rinse my DC, like a bunch of it, rake it through then rinse just some of it out. That might be better to curb the intensity of the scent.
So I tried this method but just on the front of my hair (the rest was an older wash and go)
I'd say that it turned out nice actually.

View media item 129979
View media item 129977
The smell was not strong, the definition was nice, and the mousse made my curls smooth and dried much faster than gel.

I am going to try the mousse again but over KCKT and UFDCM this time. Can't wait to see and share the results! Thank you girl for making me revisit this mousse!

Alma Petra

Tried to do a shingle and coil type method on my hair last night but now that it has dried I don't like it. I rather have the little ringlets from my natural curl pattern instead.

Cowashed with Oyin Ginger Mint (second time using it don't know how I feel about this product yet doesn't feel totally moisturizing and notice my hair immediately draws up when I use it)
Deep Conditioned with Shea Moisture Manuka Honey with Olive oil on top
Moisturized with Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-in (So moisturizing I usually use Camille Rose Curl Love Moisture Milk but wanted to know how this would work on a wash n go) then I used Camille Rose Almond Jai twisting on top.
To style I used Eco Style Gel Black Castor Oil & Flaxseed Gel (second time using it but I like it better than the Olive Oil).

Hated this wash n go it's so undefined. I got way more volume with the shingle and coil method though. Maybe I need to practice this to see if it will look better. I did kind of rush because it was getting late.

View attachment 439525
Thank you for sharing this!
I think your wash and go looks very nice and defined :2inlove: But I understand that you are probably used to even higher levels of definition.
What was the cowash that you usually use before you tried Oyin?
Also I'm curious to know how the Castor oil eco compares to the olive oil one. Were you a fan of Olive eco before you used the castor oil version?
And my last question: how does Alikay Lemongrass compare to CRN moisture milk?

In my experience volume and definition are rather inversely related to each other. I'm still looking for something that can give me both.
The other day I tried using a volume mousse from VO5 in place of my UFDCM. My results were rather wild. But I have never experienced more volume in my life! I think the wild look came from the fact that the volume took away my shape and my hair became rather shapeless. But I'm keen to experiment with this again. I see the ladies on the internet with very voluminous wash and gos yet they turn out very cute. I wonder what I can do to make mine look cute too lol.

View media item 129953
View media item 129955

Alma Petra

1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) Hair texture is 3c/4a. I think most of my hair is apl, but then I have a ducktail that is like 2 or 3 inches longer than the rest of my hair:confused:
  2. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) I wash once a week and stretch my wash n go a full 5 to 7 days. My favorite products are DE express conditioner, MC leave in and I was in love with the MC crystal orchid gel. Recently I have given my heart to the Mielle ginger gel.
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? I'm hoping for MBL. Goal is for my wash n go with shrinkage to rest on my shoulders.
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge?
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? I have a lot of tangling. Im bored with my wash n go at the moment. I have two sections that only frizz and don't define. Those sections are right at my edges and my crown, so I cant even hide it.
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) my hair looks about the same as these. The only time I cut was when I did my big chop:look:
Your hair looks amazing Leona! :love::love::love:
Your texture is one of my most favourite textures. Your hair is so defined and looks so moisturized and just juicy! What did you style with in these photos? MC leave in and Mielle Gel as you mentioned in your post?
Thank you for joining this challenge, and I hope to see more of your photos!
I have to say that if you are bored with your wash and go because of the parts that frizz up, then don't be. They blend in very nicely with the rest of your hair. The overall look is beautiful. Personally I didn't notice the frizz.

FoxxyLocs

Thank you! I answered your questions below.

OMG your hair is amazing!:thud: :worship2:
Crazy length and perfect definition!
If I had that length, I wouldn't wear anything but my wash and goes.

How do you avoid excessive shrinkage? I have a lot of shrinkage. My hair is TBL and my wng hangs to about BSL. Usually by the end of the week it's up to APL. It might look like it's hanging longer than that bc of the angle but it's sitting at BSL in that pic.

Is it the products or is it the weight of the hair as it grows longer? I was about waist length before my hair shrunken hair got past shoulder length, but it's a combination of length and products. Gel is the main thing that helps with shrinkage but it doesn't make a huge difference. Mostly it only works until my hair dries fully.

What did you style with in this photo? I used Mielle Organics gel in this pic, which I actually didn't like bc the hold wasn't hard enough and it flaked like crazy. I get better definition from Wetline and Eco styler.

Alma Petra

Thank you! I answered your questions below.
I can see now that it's at BSL but it's still very impressive! Can't wait to reach WL for my WnG to look long (though I'd still want volume at the top) Maybe by the end of 2020..

I have tried Mielle's gel before but it didn't have enough hold for me and it flaked up something awful even though I used it with a Mielle leave-in, the milk one.
I bought it because I was crazy for the results that this lady below achieved with it. I have to say that it worked totally differently on my hair. I was wondering if it had been reformulated or something lol

Alma Petra

I'm joining.
  1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) It's currently short and tapered. I have no idea about curl pattern or porosity.
  2. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) Full wash on Sundays includes a deep conditioner and usually some type of treatment (ex. demi permanent color, Olaplex, Aphogee, etc.) At least one quick mid week co-wash.
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? No length goals, I love it short right now.
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? None
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? Major mid strand splits
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) I'll edit this and add an updated pic when I was on Sunday. My Gone Natural album includes mostly WNG pics from the other WNG challenge thread that was only supposed to be for the fall/winter but lasted four years! LOL!
ETA: Starting pictures
View media item 129969

Days 4 and 5
I kept the curls refreshed this week by getting it damp in the shower and adding either Oyin Hair Dew or Cantu Next Day Curl Revitalizer. I felt like it looked a bit too frizzy today (the small pic) but I got some compliments so maybe it didn't look as bad as I thought.

View media item 129971

Hello and welcome to the challenge!
I have always been a big fan of your wash and gos! Thank you for sharing a link to your album!
Have you figured out what caused your mid-strand splits?

And btw your curls look different in this wash and go. They look tighter. Are these finger coils? Or did you start using different products to style with?

I'm envious of how defined your day 4 and 5 curls look!

Alma Petra

Joining! I did a wash and go for a job interview and fell back in love with my curls. :2inlove:

No real regimen other than wash every 3 days. My scalp gets itchy after that.

Before my interview on Wednesday.
View media item 129963
Pull check today. I’m shooting for BSL this year. I decided to trim every 5 years.
View media item 129961
Hey cute lady! I love your hair and your smile :2inlove:
Thank you for joining the challenge!
I think that we are both at a similar length, and aiming for BSL by the end of 2019.

What products do you use for your wash and gos?

Alma Petra

I'm in! My hair seems happiest in a wash n' go and I get the most compliments with it, so I need to work on perfecting my regimen.
  • Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) I'm 4a largely, but around my edges is 4b. Low porosity, about mid-back length straight I think. Curly is between ear and shoulder depending on the product.
  • What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) I wash once per week. Uncle Funky's Daughter layered over Curl Junkie Curl Smoothing Lotion was my favorite but my hair has been frizzing with it lately. My current favorite is Paul Mitchell The Conditioner with Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel over it. I can get up to 7 days with this, though my hair prefers to be done every 3 days.
  • What are your length goals from joining this challenge? I would like to be SL curly in the front. Not sure what that would look like straight.
  • What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? Consistency and getting back to using my UFDCM with good results (I get a faster wash n go with this than with Eco).
  • Any current struggles or concerns? Frizz (particularly with the 4b parts), laziness with actually doing wash day, having wet hair in the winter.
  • Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) I'll be back with this. My hair is currently braided up.
And welcome to another lover of UFDCM!
Do you air dry or do you diffuse?
Waiting to see your photos..