Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

oneastrocurlie

Used KCKT all over as my leave in and then used Jello Shot to style my wash and go. This time I used more JS and did bigger sections. I'm officially on the JS bus lol. I did finally accept leaving the smaller sectioning to my stylist. I styled in about 20ish minutes and I liked the way my hair came out. When I do smaller sections my hair almost comes out too curly. When she does it, it's just right. Idk exactly what she's doing back there. I can see her doing it but can't replicate exactly at home. Fine by me. That's why I pay her. I'm just fine with how I can get my hair to come out doing bigger sections. I have a trim appointment in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to that.

I THINK I'm done playing with stylers and will now just play with combos, technique and how much water I'm using.

Combos I'm liking:
Curly Magic + Camille Rose Honey Spiked Mousse (or Design Essentials Almond or The Doux Mos Def. CR is my favorite though)
Curly Magic + I Create Hold
KCCC with KCKT used as a leave in
JS with KCKT used as a leave in
Mousse with KCKT used as a leave in (typically only do this prior to appointments)

The two I have bolded give me verrryy similar results. My bottle of ICH is pretty new but we'll see if I want to repurchase by the end of it.

GettingKinky

Used KCKT all over as my leave in and then used Jello Shot to style my wash and go. This time I used more JS and did bigger sections. I'm officially on the JS bus lol. I did finally accept leaving the smaller sectioning to my stylist. I styled in about 20ish minutes and I liked the way my hair came out. When I do smaller sections my hair almost comes out too curly. When she does it, it's just right. Idk exactly what she's doing back there. I can see her doing it but can't replicate exactly at home. Fine by me. That's why I pay her. I'm just fine with how I can get my hair to come out doing bigger sections. I have a trim appointment in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to that.

I THINK I'm done playing with stylers and will now just play with combos, technique and how much water I'm using.

Combos I'm liking:
Curly Magic + Camille Rose Honey Spiked Mousse (or Design Essentials Almond or The Doux Mos Def. CR is my favorite though)
Mousse with KCKT used as a leave in (typically only do this prior to appointments)

The two I have bolded give me verrryy similar results. My bottle of ICH is pretty new but we'll see if I want to repurchase by the end of it.
Have you tried UFD + JS yet? I like that even better than KCKT + JS.

sunshinebeautiful

Combos I'm liking:

Hmmm... now I wanna try the KCKT + JS combo, especially since I like the Kinky Curly system by itself.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I do like the KCCC. I've used it with KCKT leave-in and my hair came out great.

I wouldn't say that Ecoslay Jello Shot is "better," but that I think it would give a firmer hold to my curls, which I why I'm interested in trying that combo.
How many days does the kinky curly give you out of your wash and go? I want to try KCCC and Jello shot but they are so expensive for how much you get

DVAntDany

This morning kicked my butt because not only have I been trying different products, but also different routines/techniques. I can officially say my hair hates products that deposit too much on the hair and aren't easy to rinse out. Things like Pattern Beauty Intensive Conditioner and Bread Hair Mask leave a thick waxy coating on my hair that is almost sticky. Even trying to cowash with AG Boost Conditioner leaves that waxy film. That's not the main issue. The problem is that they leave my hair tangled. Products that usually easily glide through my hair are no match for such disgusting coatings. I could not even run my fingers through my hair under running water.

I called myself trying to do day 2 of the Lou's Hydration Challenge. I woke up looking like an old teddy bear because I slept on damp hair. So I could no wait until this evening to condition my hair. I spent 2 hours in the shower trying to do the steps of day 2 without ripping my hair out. Luckily, I was gentle. The aesthetic results were a major fail. So I grabbed the nearest gel which was the green African Pride Moisture Miracle gel. It was the only thing that provided slip. Now I look like a wet dog. I'm going to wait until my consultation before trying anything else new. I'll be clarifying my hair this evening. Ugh.

I think its nice that we can mix match products brands/lines when we know how to use them. However, I do think they usually make these lines to work together. I know, duh. Its suppose to be that way, but hear me out. For instance, there is a reason that Pattern Beauty's hydration shampoo is not as hydrating like Innersense Hydrating Cream Hairbath. Their products coat the hair. If you read the pro tip on their clarifying shampoo, they say to use it every 3rd wash. That's a whole lot of clarifying even for someone who washes their hair once a week. Imagine how often a person would need to clarify if he or she washes 2 to 3 times a week. I can even use their silicone free products and still have the buildup issue when mix matching. This is true for a lot of products I've tried recently.

Sorry for the rant. I just want to reiterate that technique and product selection go hand in hand. One must know their hair to select the right products for a particular technique. Today has finally made all of my past hair woes and successes make sense.

DVAntDany

Combos I'm liking:

I love trying successful combos. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I hear so many different things about KCCC. In the past, everyone said it gave a hard hold. Now days people say it gives a soft hold. I wonder why the discrepancy.
When I tried it 10 years ago it gave me no hold then either. The difference between then and now is I didn't really know anything about raking, shingling, dickey method, etc. but it still didn't work for me knowing that .

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
KCCC gives me firm hair but the juiciest curls ever. I can get the longest washngos with it but I prefer to wash frequently to keep the tangles at bay. KCCC is the best styler for me, its just super expensive. Its also the only styler I can use year round. I dont even need the leave in with it. It would be nice if they dropped the price a little and had more sales.

Just cant have any residue of oil on your strands if you use oil on the regular.

GettingKinky

I parted my hair a bit differently last wash day. I still have the side part but I sent my hair more to the back v to the side.
So far I’m liking it. Usually by day 5 the hair on the side is too big and overwhelms my face. Now that more hair is going to the back even if it’s big and frizzy I can’t see it when I look in the mirror.
I also make sure that when I put my Slap cap on at night my hair is laying the way I want before I pull it on.
I’m going to keep parting it this way. I think this is the last thing I need to nail. I know how to apply and rake to get good definition I just need to figure out where to place my hair so that it looks best.
98C3B3CB-238D-4BE7-AC4F-5EF5316F21A9.jpeg

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
The kozmoleje brush? However it’s spelled. I tried it for the last two washes. The bristles are way too large to actually detangle my hair. Lesson learned.

I thought that it worked for most people because they had thick, full, dense hair. For myself it didn't work because of exactly what you said. I would put it in my hair and it goes to my scalp immediately. Feels like a "wide tooth" brush. My hair is full however my density is low. Nice scalp massage option but not for the price and heaviness of how the brush feels @toaster

DVAntDany

You all just pulled an old memory from my brain with talks of that weirdly teethed/bristled brush. What ever happened to the Kakakiki Kombbrush? Back in the day, I was afraid it was going to pull out all of my hair. Now days all of these wet detangling brushes are so similar to its design.

oneastrocurlie

I thought that it worked for most people because they had thick, full, dense hair. For myself it didn't work because of exactly what you said. I would put it in my hair and it goes to my scalp immediately. Feels like a "wide tooth" brush. My hair is full however my density is low. Nice scalp massage option but not for the price and heaviness of how the brush feels @toaster

Ahh that would make sense. My hair is dense and thick and I've been pretty happy with that brush. Kind of want to try to the Felicia Leatherwood because it's so popular.

oneastrocurlie

You all just pulled an old memory from my brain with talks of that weirdly teethed/bristled brush. What ever happened to the Kakakiki Kombbrush? Back in the day, I was afraid it was going to pull out all of my hair. Now days all of these wet detangling brushes are so similar to its design.

I had to look it up and yeah I looks like a wet brush. Lots of small teeth kinda scare me. That's why I still haven't tried the FL.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I was thinking about that brush the other day. Do they still sell it?

DVAntDany

Last edited: